• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 5600 Series SKUs Feature 6GB and 8GB Variants

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think we get it, but most simply do not care. It was a curious move to bring so much compute when it is marketed as a gaming card. I don't mind a more clear separation of church and state.

Yeah, AMD shouldn't have marketed the V2 so heavily on gaming. It's saving grace in my opinion is that the minimum frame rates are noticeably better, but for most people they only care about what it hits at max, and compared to a 5700XT it's not great.

I would love to get my hands on a dual 64CU V20 card, that uses the fancy interconnect to make the two GPUs act as one. Sadly that's huge money.

I mean even the Fury X2 or Radeon Pro Duo, still commands a hefty price tag used and it's crossfire.

Interestingly I think it's a bit telling that the Xbox One/S and PS4 variants use basically a Polaris based GPU and either can't do 4K or seriously struggle with it and need to use 'optimizations'. While the Xbox One X uses a GPU based on the R290/Vega line and as Sony whined 'brute forces 4K'.

I think having piles of compute power may actually be more future proof. Look at Crytek and their RTRT software demo, they used a Vega 56, and got decent results. The V20 core has significantly more computational power even in consumer dress.

FP64 perf: = Shaders/TMUs/ROPs/CUs
V10 - Vega 64: 0.786 TFlops = 4096/256/64/64
Fastest FP64: 0.854TFlops - Water cooled V64
V20 - V2/VII: 3.360 TFlops = 3840/240/64/60
Fastest FP64: 7.373TFlops- Instinct M60

The V2 gets stuck with less compute hardware, and doubled divider at 1:4 vs the pro cards getting 1:2 for FP64. Seems V10 had the FP64 divider couldn't go past 1:16.

For comparisons sake the fastest Navi GPU and the fastest 2080 Ti...

5700XT PC Liquid Devil: 0.662TFlops
2080 Ti Zo Amp Extreme: 0.494TFlops

So in summary the V20 stuff is meant to crush numbers very quickly. Too bad AMD locked the bios so can't try to flash unlock the V2 cores into fully functional ones like in the past.

I will say though the consumer air cooler for the V2 is probably the best stock air BBA Radeon cooler ever and the 50th AE one just looks sexy to me.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Yeah, AMD shouldn't have marketed the V2 so heavily on gaming. It's saving grace in my opinion is that the minimum frame rates are noticeably better, but for most people they only care about what it hits at max, and compared to a 5700XT it's not great.

I would love to get my hands on a dual 64CU V20 card, that uses the fancy interconnect to make the two GPUs act as one. Sadly that's huge money.

I mean even the Fury X2 or Radeon Pro Duo, still commands a hefty price tag used and it's crossfire.

Interestingly I think it's a bit telling that the Xbox One/S and PS4 variants use basically a Polaris based GPU and either can't do 4K or seriously struggle with it and need to use 'optimizations'. While the Xbox One X uses a GPU based on the R290/Vega line and as Sony whined 'brute forces 4K'.

I think having piles of compute power may actually be more future proof. Look at Crytek and their RTRT software demo, they used a Vega 56, and got decent results. The V20 core has significantly more computational power even in consumer dress.

FP64 perf: = Shaders/TMUs/ROPs/CUs
V10 - Vega 64: 0.786 TFlops = 4096/256/64/64
Fastest FP64: 0.854TFlops - Water cooled V64
V20 - V2/VII: 3.360 TFlops = 3840/240/64/60
Fastest FP64: 7.373TFlops- Instinct M60

The V2 gets stuck with less compute hardware, and doubled divider at 1:4 vs the pro cards getting 1:2 for FP64. Seems V10 had the FP64 divider couldn't go past 1:16.

For comparisons sake the fastest Navi GPU and the fastest 2080 Ti...

5700XT PC Liquid Devil: 0.662TFlops
2080 Ti Zo Amp Extreme: 0.494TFlops

So in summary the V20 stuff is meant to crush numbers very quickly. Too bad AMD locked the bios so can't try to flash unlock the V2 cores into fully functional ones like in the past.

I will say though the consumer air cooler for the V2 is probably the best stock air BBA Radeon cooler ever and the 50th AE one just looks sexy to me.
I game... doesnt really matter to me the details. Good mins and good average (which doesn't take a compute heavy card) ftw.

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yeah AMD screwed up pushing a render beast as a gaming card.