• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Samples World's First 20TB SMR and 18TB CMR Hard Drives

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Western Digital announced that it has started shipping the industry's highest-capacity HDD samples to enterprise OEMs and hyperscale customers worldwide. The 20 TB Ultrastar DC HC650 SMR HDDs and 18 TB Ultrastar DC HC550 CMR HDDs, first previewed in June 2019, and announced in September 2019, feature its first-ever commercial implementation of energy-assisted magnetic recording technology on a nine-disk platform, enabling customers to more efficiently provision and scale their data center environments with unmatched total cost of ownership.

With zettabyte-scale data growth, the need for higher-capacity data storage across a broad spectrum of applications and workloads can be reliably met only with high Capacity Enterprise HDDs. The industry-leading capacities of Western Digital's Ultrastar 20 TB SMR and 18 TB CMR HelioSeal HDDs enable customers to deploy up to 22 percent fewer racks and reduce their TCO by up to 11 percent, along with the corresponding reductions in power consumption, cooling costs, and data center infrastructure needs when compared with today's 14 TB CMR HDDs.

Western Digital achieves the industry's highest areal density performance in these drives through the innovative use of energy-assisted magnetic recording. Together with the company's HelioSeal and SMR technologies, triple-stage micro actuation and 9-disk platform, the energy-assisted recording technology provides an integrated solution, resulting in the dramatic gain in drive capacities.

"The market outlook for capacity-optimized enterprise HDDs remains very positive as IDC expects petabytes shipped to hyperscale cloud data centers and for OEM storage systems and servers to grow at a combined compound annual growth rate of 28% through 2023," said Ed Burns, Research Director, HDD and Storage Technologies at IDC. "Western Digital's new 20 TB and 18 TB HDDs should make a compelling case for customers to transition to higher capacity points as they seek greater storage and energy efficiencies in the near-term while building more cost-effective and scalable infrastructures for the future."

"Delivering samples of our Ultrastar 20 TB SMR and 18 TB CMR HDDs marks a significant milestone for Western Digital—demonstrating our enduring commitment to the open SMR-based ecosystem, as well as our strong track record of innovation to provide great value for our customers," said Phil Bullinger, senior vice president and general manager of Western Digital's Data Center Business Unit. "These new HDDs deliver unsurpassed capacity and are our first to leverage energy-assisted magnetic recording technology, enabling new levels of data center efficiency and driving value creation from data at scale."

Availability
Western Digital is now sampling the 20 TB Ultrastar DC HC650 SMR HDD and the 18 TB Ultrastar DC HC550 CMR HDD, with qualification and volume shipments expected in the first half of 2020.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Iow, Hitachi's tech that was bought by WD acheived that product. Great HDDs indeed!

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
nope, not good enuff for me, I want my 1 gazillion trillion yattabyte hdd's, like, yesterday, and for 1/800th less $$ than these puny platter boxen ...:roll:

hahaha, xmas eve physch.... made ya look !

System Name Game PC
Processor i7 970 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Extreme
Cooling Water rad one 420x140 rad two 280x140
Memory 6GB 1600 memory, its the one component that dose not realy benefit from speed
Video Card(s) 2x 5870 matrix 2GB 1x the old GeForce GTX 275 for PhysX
Storage 60GB Vertex, 60GB vertex II, 320GB WD Caviar SE, +23TB on server
Display(s) 3x 26" Asus VW266H 1920x1200 for a Eyefinity setup
Case Corsair 800D
Audio Device(s) Xonar DX
Power Supply HX850
Software WIndows 7
Hmmm, with 5 year warranty, they have some trust that there drives will work long term, maybe a interesting option for my server.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Hmmm, with 5 year warranty, they have some trust that there drives will work long term, maybe a interesting option for my server.

I mean they are DC drives not blues or deskstars so I would hope so. The entire engineering premiss for these drives is longevity

nope, not good enuff for me, I want my 1 gazillion trillion yattabyte hdd's, like, yesterday, and for 1/800th less $$ than these puny platter boxen ...:roll:
hahaha, xmas eve physch.... made ya look !

I can show you how to store 10GB of data on a 1.44MB FDD.
Imagine what you could do with a terrabyte-class drive.

This tech can be adapted to work with any existing storage system.

So how much for it ?