• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audio-Technica Also Debuts High-Performance Exotic Wood-Finish and Innovative In-Ear Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Audio-Technica is introducing four new high-performance Hi-Res Audio headphones. The over-ear ATH-AWKT and ATH-AWAS audiophile and over-ear ATH-WP900 portable headphones combine beautifully crafted woods with superb sound quality, and the ATH-IEX1 features an exclusive hybrid multi-driver system for an unmatched in-ear listening experience.

Like all the new wooden headphones, the over-ear ATH-AWKT is handcrafted at our factory based in Tokyo. The ATH-AWKT (SRP: US$1,899.00) features housings made from prized Kokutan (striped ebony) hardwood. Long used for woodwind instruments and pianos, Kokutan is distinguished by its attractive black and brown stripes, and the housings have a hand-applied semi-gloss finish that brings out the wood's natural beauty. In addition, the high density of the Kokutan wood suppresses unwanted resonances to contribute to the headphones' clear, natural sound.

The Hi-Res ATH-AWKT features 53 mm drivers with a highly efficient Permendur magnetic circuit with extremely high flux density for expansive, powerful sound with a frequency response from 5 - 45,000 Hz. The drivers are mounted in a lightweight titanium flange and have 6N-OFC (high-purity oxygen-free copper) voice coils, providing precise driver movement and signal transfer that yields exceptionally transparent music reproduction. The ATH-AWKT utilizes Audio-Technica's exclusive D.A.D.S. (Double Air Damping System), for increased and articulate bass output.

The ATH-AWKT combines its refined audio performance with total comfort, thanks to its natural sheep leather earpads and headband, and magnesium-alloy earcup arms that are angled to provide a comfortable fit as well as the best-possible earcup seal. The ATH-AWKT features Audio-Technica's A2DC (Audio-Designed Detachable Coaxial) jacks that can be used with the supplied detachable 1/4-inch and 4-pin XLRM balanced cables. A wooden storage case is also included.

Audio-Technica's ATH-AWAS Hi-Res Audio over-ear headphones are made with rare Asada Zakura (Ostrya Japonica, a type of ironwood) renowned for its use in high-end loudspeakers because of its beauty, durability and ability to limit undesired resonances. The Asada Zakura wood's red coloration is enhanced by the headphones' hand-applied semi-gloss finish.

The ATH-AWAS (SRP: US$1,399.00) is equipped with large-diameter 53 mm drivers with an exclusive DLC (diamond-like carbon) diaphragm coating, integrated pure-iron yoke and 6N-OFC voice coils for detailed, natural audio from 5 - 42,000 Hz. The headphones' D.A.D.S. (Double Air Damping System) ensures accurate bass response. Angled magnesium-alloy earcup arms and cushioned earpads and headband provide long-wearing comfort. The ATH-AWAS features A2DC jacks and both 1/4-inch stereo and 4-pin XLRM balanced cables.

The ATH-WP900 Hi-Res Audio over-ear headphones deliver outstanding on-the-go audio in a compact, portable design accented by striking flame maple wood earpieces. Maple is a stiff, dense wood used to make stringed instruments like guitars and violins, and the ATH-WP900 features machined solid maple earpieces covered by a layer of flame maple provided by renowned Japanese guitar manufacturer Fujigen.

The ATH-WP900 (US$650.00) is equipped with powerful 53 mm drivers with a DLC Diamond-Like Carbon coating for impactful sound with a wide 5 - 50,000 Hz frequency response. The ATH-WP900 features a top-mounted PCB that optimizes airflow, allowing smoother diaphragm movement. In addition, a specially designed angled baffle controls the airflow between the front and rear of the diaphragm to deliver better bass and midrange reproduction, and positions the earpieces for comfort and sound isolation. The ATH-WP900 comes with two detachable 1.2 m cables (A2DC to 1/8" plug and A2DC to 4.4 mm 5-pole plug). The headphones fold flat for easy transport in its included carrying pouch.

Audio-Technica's Hi-Res Audio compliant ATH-IEX1 sets a new standard for in-ear listening, thanks to its hybrid multi-driver system that employs dual-phase 9.8 mm and 8.8 mm drivers, plus two balanced armature drivers. The drivers are mounted in a solid titanium housing and mounted along a coaxial line. The 9.8 mm driver operates as a full-range unit while the 8.8 mm driver functions as a passive radiator to augment the bass frequencies. These drivers face each other and move in unison, a configuration that provides maximum output and reduces distortion. The balanced armature drivers act as supertweeters for extended high-frequency reproduction (5-50,000 Hz).

The ATH-IEX1 (SRP: US$1,200.00) is crafted using a five-step machining and finishing process which yields lightweight, non-resonant housings that rest comfortably in the ear. In addition, two-position eartip posts ensure a customized fit. The ATH-IEX1 features Audio-Technica's A2DC jacks and is supplied with detachable 1/8-inch stereo and 4.4 mm 5-pole balanced cables, Comply foam eartips, silicone eartips, a hard carrying case and more. Each pair is identified by a laser-etched serial number.

The Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT and ATH-AWAS will be available in March 2020, and the ATH-WP900 and ATH-IEX1 will be available in January 2020.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
/angry

I love all of my current AT stuff including my condenser mic, but I am so angry that they NEVER offer velour pads.

It destroys my skin because I wear my headsets for extended periods.

While you are there please tell them we want velour pads and fight them if they say anything but yes.

I dont want third party garbage either because they never fit the can right at all.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
/angry

I love all of my current AT stuff including my condenser mic, but I am so angry that they NEVER offer velour pads.

While you are there please tell them we want velour pads and fight them if they say anything but yes.

I dont want third party garbage either because they never fit the can right at all.

I share your sentiments on velour, and will pass it along.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
The ATH-IEX1 looks interesting, but for those with glasses, like me, they're not going to be comfortable. Hopefully there will be a regular cable option for them as well.
That price though... Might not matter, as I guess I will never spend that kind of money on headphones.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Nice looking headphone, but.....$1200 for earpods......

WORD:

n.O.

With the possible exception of wealthy elitists and/or audio professionals, anyone who would spend that amount of money on those seriously needs to have their head (and ears) examined by a doctor, like, yesterday..

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
/angry

Same...can’t do “pleather” why I ended up with HyperX Cloud II’s. Senn Game Ones were the only other velour option and Clouds won for price point despite loving Senns.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
/angry

I know you have the soul of a jazz dancer, but maybe if you sit still instead of dancing around on the chair the friction won't be so bad?

Anyway, I too wear headphones for extended periods and the only problems I have with them is my ears hurt (with new ones anyway). I've never really even heard of your problem tbh.