• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX 5950 XT, RX 5950, and RX 5800 XT: New AMD Radeon SKUs Reach Regulators

Irrelevant, Nvidia and AMD have not been on the same equal ground in terms of nodes for a very long time, what they have done cannot and should not be compared like that. It simply doesn't make sense to say one implemented something better because they had different technologies to work with at their disposable and inevitably one of those technologies was simply better. But now they are and it's not going to be smooth sailing anymore. You known, kinda how as soon as Zen got on 7nm, suddenly the situation got a lot worse for Intel.

They wouldn't have been able to copy them in the past even if Nvidia would have handed them over all their IP, it wasn't possible.

OK, enjoy being ripped off by one company in particular because they were first or something along those lines. AMD should go home and stop trying to do anything because there is no point.
Say what now? :roll:And here we were, thinking AMD was the first to do 40nm, 28nm, only like a month behind on 16nm and now 6 months ahead and counting on 7nm! Actually, you're right, they haven't been on equal ground in terms of nodes at all - team red has had the advantage for at least the last decade and they still got their asses kicked hard for the last 5 years! :p I can't wait for the dumbstruck expressions of all the amd fanboys when Ampere finally lands...:D

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
And then you top it off by saying 7nm is not going to be an efficiency jump when AMD showed that it was all by itself with the Radeon VII.

You either don't want to understand the context or you just don't understand. I'm going to say it for the last time since there is no point in repeating myself, AMD went to 7nm form a node that was notably worse than 16nm, therefor the jump Nvidia will make to 7nm wont be anywhere as dramatic. That is unless they go straight to EUV and even then, it's not going to be earth shattering.

The main advantage that comes with 7nm is the bigger transistor count and that's what Nvidia will try to exploit first and foremost.

I can separate my personal buying decisions from the analysis of how companies perform and how its products work.

Yet, here you are trying to convince me why a company should have the privilege to charge more for the same thing. Quite shocking.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
For me the fact that AMD has been behind does not mean they have no chance.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
You either don't want to understand the context or you just don't understand. I'm going to say it for the last time since there is no point in repeating myself, AMD went to 7nm form a node that was notably worse than 16nm, therefor the jump Nvidia will make to 7nm wont be anywhere as dramatic. That is unless they go straight to EUV and even then, it's not going to be earth shattering.

The main advantage that comes with 7nm is the bigger transistor count and that's what Nvidia will try to exploit first and foremost.

Yet, here you are trying to convince me why a company should have the privilege to charge more for the same thing. Quite shocking.
So 14nm, which is "worse then 16nm node", to 7nm is a big move, but going from 12nm to 7nm isnt? You're drunk mate. You're not even making sense here.

Like it or not, Nvidia's arch on 12nm is STILL more energy efficient then rDNA on 7nm. They Added compute with turing, while AMD removed computer to make rDNA, and yet turing is still more efficent:

To suggest nvidia is only going to see minor improvements from 7nm, while AMD somehow saw MASSIVE improvements with 7nm is denying basic math. Polaris was not that far behind turing in transistor tech, its not like they were still 28nm. And if 7nm EUV is as big a jump as predicted, then nvidia going to it directly from 12nm will absolutely be as big a jump as AMD going from 16 to 7nm was. rDNA2 needs to hit it out of the park for any chance of reaching nvidia's performance per watt, and ultimately the ability to produce a GPU that can compete with nvidia's big monster chips.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Say what now? :roll:And here we were, thinking AMD was the first to do 40nm, 28nm, only like a month behind on 16nm and now 6 months ahead and counting on 7nm! Actually, you're right, they haven't been on equal ground in terms of nodes at all - team red has had the advantage for at least the last decade and they still got their asses kicked hard for the last 5 years! :p I can't wait for the dumbstruck expressions of all the amd fanboys when Ampere finally lands...:D
That will be something. Better ebay your kidney now case when new NV release arrives, everyone will start selling and if you are the first one you will get enough for 3070?
You need to google what fanboy means :) because you call others fanboys and you act like one yourself without even realizing it. :)

Higher transistor count on the same space as different nodes in comparison. Better to clarify this cause I'm sure it is a matter of time when someone takes it wrong.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Alright, point taken and understood, but it doesn't really weigh much in the overall competitiveness of AMD versus Nvidia, and you're trying to make it seem like it does. I understand your point perfectly, and I am expanding upon it by looking at what both companies have today and what they can still go towards. Even today Nvidia has better efficiency. Even if they would do a figurative Radeon nVIIdia so to speak, on 7nm DUV, they will destroy RDNA on efficiency alone across the whole stack.

But the reports so far do point at Nvidia moving straight to EUV. And that makes sense too because DUV is more complex to make and was just a stand in until EUV was ready, which is already overdue. ASML planned this for years ago...

And this one...

Why always the schoolyard style calimero approach?! 'boohoo he has the privilege'.. that is precisely NOT my argument. I say the privilege was carved out by Nvidia itself because it conducts its business as it does. And that is why, once again, Nvidia is not AMD! These aren't lame excuses because you put them off as such, they are real things to customers and the proof is everywhere around you when you even just click on system specs on this forum. You only need to open your eyes.

You need to google what fanboy means :) because you call others fanboys and you act like one yourself without even realizing it. :)
I didn't call out anyone specifically, did I? Or are you trying to say, amd fanboys in general don't exist? :D If however you recognize yourself in the description...you know what they say - If the shoe fits...:p

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
So 14nm, which is "worse then 16nm node", to 7nm is a big move, but going from 12nm to 7nm isnt?

What ?

12nm TSMC and 16nm TSMC are the same nodes, one has just has a bigger reticle limit. Are you drunk or you just don't have a clue about any of these things ?

Alright, point taken and understood, but it doesn't really weigh much in the overall competitiveness of AMD versus Nvidia, and you're trying to make it seem like it does. I understand your point perfectly, and I am expanding upon it by looking at what both companies have today and what they can still go towards. Even today Nvidia has better efficiency. Even if they would do a figurative Radeon nVIIdia so to speak, on 7nm DUV, they will destroy RDNA on efficiency alone across the whole stack.

I am not doing any of that, I am simply pointing out how Nvidia cannot improve infinitely performance, power efficiency, cost, etc in one big sweep. And also how now everything that Nvidia can do with a new node so can AMD and vice-versa. Nvidia gets on 7nm DUV so can AMD, AMD get's on 7nm EUV so can Nvidia. There will no large gap anymore, no more "destroying" of any kind.

That is of course if they both want to play the game.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I didn't call out anyone specifically, did I? Or are you trying to say, amd fanboys in general don't exist? :D If however you recognize yourself in the description...you know what they say - If the shoe fits...:p
Sure you didn't. You're such a good boy. :)
I only hope your Ampere landing prediction will deliver. :)

Do we know the release date of these Radeons or is it still a mystery? It's been a while since this one's been out but nothing specific.

I am not doing any of that, I am simply pointing out how Nvidia cannot improve infinitely performance, power efficiency, cost, etc in one big sweep. And also how now everything that Nvidia can do with a new node so can AMD and vice-versa. Nvidia gets on 7nm DUV so can AMD, AMD get's on 7nm EUV so can Nvidia. There will no large gap anymore, no more "destroying" of any kind.

They don't have to improve infinitely as they are already ahead and any improvement will take them even further, but if all the Ampere leaks (and some not-too-difficult extrapolation) hold at least some truth...well RTG is in for a world of hurt, so to say. And you know it, but you've sneakily left yourself an argumentative crutch by saying "if they both want to play the game" to lean onto when Radeons once again won't be able to pass 3070 at best if not less...

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
They don't have to improve infinitely as they are already ahead and any improvement will take them even further, but if all the Ampere leaks (and some not-too-difficult extrapolation) hold at least some truth...well RTG is in for a world of hurt, so to say. And you know it, but you've sneakily left yourself an argumentative crutch by saying "if they both want to play the game" to lean onto when Radeons once again won't be able to pass 3070 at best if not less...

Cool.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm not an AMD fanboy. You forgot people like me who just aren't sold on raytracing and don't want to waste die space on it.

Nope, if you utter a word of dissent toward RT/Nvidia you are a AMD fanboy in these parts.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
What ?

12nm TSMC and 16nm TSMC are the same nodes, one has just has a bigger reticle limit. Are you drunk or you just don't have a clue about any of these things ?
So, thanks for confirming that this previous statement by you:
AMD went to 7nm form a node that was notably worse than 16nm, therefor the jump Nvidia will make to 7nm wont be anywhere as dramatic
Is complete BS. If they are the same node, then Both nvidia and AMD would see roughly the same improvements from 7nm, confirming once and for all that you have no idea what you are talking about. Also, Polaris was 14nm FinFet. Not 16nm. Are you also claiming that 14nm finfet was somehow worse then 16nm was? Because that is your claim, bolded for your reading pleasure.

Just stop, you are only making yourself out to be a complete m0r0n.

700W PSU's will become a trend again it seems
My 1200W platinum is still chugging along just fine.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

'Can' in theory, but not in practice. That is the crucial difference here in our view on this. Of course nobody can improve 'infinitely', but even if Nvidia didn't improve at all and just relied on the shrink there will be quite a bit of 'destroying' left for them. The fact remains that even the Super line up can still compete just fine - and then some.

AMD has already eaten quite a bit into its remaining headroom with Navi. It is already on 7nm. It is already doing similar architecture. And yet, it still falls short on all the important metrics EXCEPT die size. So that is what they have left. Now they pre-empt Ampere with larger dies so they can capture the crowd that was waiting for 2080ti to get price slashed... a very short lived USP, that. What's left? They are already very close to the point of diminishing returns, as in, they're at peak power budget (~300W) and that will force them into even larger chips at even lower clocks, not exactly the best profitability and .... a repeat of the past half dozen generations.

Oh... and here is the kicker. AMD still needs to reserve die space for RT as well ;) Nvidia has already paid that tax.

Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I wonder how big the GPU difference based on the DIE are for the 5700Xt vs the 2080Ti?

31mm x 25mm for the 2080TI but I can't seem to find dimensions for the 5700XT other than 251mm squared.

I was just reading an article that Big Navi could have as much as 16 billion transistors up from the 10.3 on 5700Xt.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
So, thanks for confirming that this previous statement by you:

Is complete BS. If they are the same node, then Both nvidia and AMD would see roughly the same improvements from 7nm, confirming once and for all that you have no idea what you are talking about. Also, Polaris was 14nm FinFet. Not 16nm. Are you also claiming that 14nm finfet was somehow worse then 16nm was? Because that is your claim, bolded for your reading pleasure.

Just stop, you are only making yourself out to be a complete m0r0n.

So to make life easier for both of us and so that I don't have to read this incoherent utter garbage off to the ignore list you go.

Now I get it why you're "TheinsanegamerN", you're out of your mind buddy, I suggest you do some reading and improve your comprehension.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
So to make life easier for both of us and so that I don't have to read this incoherent utter garbage off to the ignore list you go.

Now I get it why you're "TheinsanegamerN", you're out of your mind buddy, I suggest you do some reading and improve your comprehension.
So you have no response to your own argument, and resort to insults based on usernames? :roll: Somebody is mad they got proven wrong on the internet.

Last edited:
He really painted himself into a corner there, first stating that AMD came to 7nm from a vastly inferior node to Nvidia's current 12nm, then claiming the latter is the same as 16nm, lol :D

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
then claiming the latter is the same as 16nm

I do sometimes wonder how it must be to be this out of touch.

I wonder why they don't talk about 12nm and 16nm separately and why it's always referred to as "16/12nm". Hmm, no particular reason probably.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I wonder how big the GPU difference based on the DIE are for the 5700Xt vs the 2080Ti?

31mm x 25mm for the 2080TI but I can't seem to find dimensions for the 5700XT other than 251mm squared.

I was just reading an article that Big Navi could have as much as 16 billion transistors up from the 10.3 on 5700Xt.

The more interesting question I believe is what a performance equivalent to the 5700XT of Nvidia Turing (with RT) would be sized at on 7nm. I believe I saw that calculation somewhere at some point... bear with me....
EDIT: can't find it back. But if we consider a density increase of around 50%... which is generous because we've seen 60% as well for 7nm EUV; Ballpark half size. That puts the 751mm to a comfortable 375 to bring 2080ti performance. I reckon they can make do with about 200-240mm2 for 5700XT equivalents. Its not far off... but the 5700XT WITHOUT RT already weighs in at 251mm2. So, its a little stretch, but what RDNA2 will need to do is gain a bit of performance, AND add RT, at a similar die size. That's a pretty big assignment for just architecture. The outlook is that once again Nvidia will be getting more chips out of a wafer here and that is even in a worst case scenario where Ampere is no improvement over Turing.

The transistor count isn't really the right metric because the cards don't share feature sets or node. Its similar to TFLOPS. You can't compare outside the same gen. But die size vs overall performance are universal.

He really painted himself into a corner there, first stating that AMD came to 7nm from a vastly inferior node to Nvidia's current 12nm, then claiming the latter is the same as 16nm, lol :D

I wonder why they don't talk about 12nm and 16nm separately and why it's always referred to as "16/12nm". Hmm, no particular reason probably.

Context... I mean, I hope you can see I at least am not here to ridicule you or your statements, but rather provide insight and argumentation... but the above is putting your head in the sand, is it not? Its okay to admit we were wrong sometimes. Happens to me all the time... still alive and kicking :) I also underlined how you missed this with the shot of the VII versus Vega in perf/watt gaps. Please don't respond saying 'but VII is larger, so more efficient' :D

But, more substance, because I like that; here is another pointer to consider the fact Nvidia will do just a little bit more than shrink
I'm not going to say everything Huang says is a golden rule, but... there's that.

Last edited:

Isn't the 12nm node which Nvidia is using a custom node?

Just so long as AMD can chip away at Nvidia's lead and dominance on the GPU that's really all I care about. Hopefully these are RDNA2 based variable rate shading would be defiantly welcome.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
the RX 5800 XT could be a step up from the RX 5700 XT in offering 1440p high frame-rate AAA performance. This could possibly put it in direct competition with the GeForce RTX 2070 Super.
Are you freaking kidding me?

If AMD added the same power saving tech found in consoles to this RDNA GPU and run it at even higher clocks, I'll be quite interested.
I heard rumors tower saving tech found in console is called "run it at a lover clock".
No idea what that could possibly mean.

2000 mhz clocked
Smaller number of shaders. Yep.
Basically 1080 had it comparable to 480. Had AMD managed to run them at 2Ghz, it would run circles around NV.
Just a different architecture.

Anyhow, I am not sure that 2080Ti sales pay off for its development.
It's a halo product, having it boosts entire lineup.