• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i5-L16G7 is the first "Lakefield" SKU Appearance, Possible Prelude to New Nomenclature?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel Core i5-L16G7 is the first commercial SKU that implements Intel's "Lakefield" heterogenous x86 processor architecture. This 5-core chip features one high-performance "Sunny Cove" CPU core, and four smaller "Tremont" low-power cores, with an intelligent scheduler balancing workloads between the two core types. This is essentially similar to ARM big.LITTLE. The idea being that the device idles most of the time, when lower-powered CPU cores can hold the fort; performance cores kick in only when really needed, until which time they remain power-gated. Thai PC enthusiast TUM_APISAK discovered the first public appearance of the i5-L16G7 in an unreleased Samsung device that has the Userbenchmark device ID string "SAMSUNG_NP_767XCL."

Clock speeds of the processor are listed as "1.40 GHz base, with 1.75 GHz turbo," but it's possible that the two core types have different clock-speed bands, just like the cores on big.LITTLE SoCs. Other key components of "Lakefield" include an iGPU based on the Gen11 graphics architecture, and an LPDDR4X memory controller. "Lakefield" implements Foveros packaging, in which high-density component dies based on newer silicon fabrication nodes are integrated with silicon interposers based on older fabrication processes, which facilitate microscopic high-density wiring between the dies. In case of "Lakefield," the Foveros package features a 10 nm "compute field" die sitting atop a 22 nm "base field" interposer.

Intel's nomenclature for the Core i5-L16G7 is fascinating. It condenses Intel's lengthy "i9-10980XE" (7-character) model names down to 5, besides the main brand extension (i3, i5, i7, i9). The first character probably represents the product type, followed by a numerical model number, further followed by "G" denoting the presence of integrated graphics, and a numeral next to "G" denoting its tier. Here's hoping this nomenclature holds, because Intel now has three: the 10th gen "Comet Lake" mobile processors retain the classic nomenclature (eg: Core i7-10710U), while the 10th gen "Ice Lake" has a slightly improved nomenclature (eg: Core i7-1065G7), and now "Lakefield" brings in the shortest of the three (eg: Core i5-L16G7).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
F*ck nomenclatures, everybody should just use QR codes and be done with it :p

Heterogenous x86 cores so quickly... unbelievable.
+ GPUs
+ OneAPI

Nice.

Hardly, I talked about this what ~2 years back & then ARM had it for 7+ years IIRC?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Hardly, I talked about this what ~2 years back & then ARM had it for 7+ years IIRC?
I think he meant it's unbelievable Intel went big.LITTLE so fast. Though I'm not sure we have an indication of when exactly Intel started working on it.
Then again, considering about 3 decades ago my computer was Z80 based, where we are today is pretty unbelievable in its entirety.

Tbh it looks like one of those humbling moments, likewise "the glue" which they're also trying to perfect. Big little & it's subsequent iterative revisions clearly are the key to greater efficiency in the ULP tablet & convertible space. It's one thing Intel would've learnt especially in the last half of the decade is that hubris takes you nowhere, we've seen empires befall on their own swords & Intel isn't even 0.1% of that.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
F*ck nomenclatures, everybody should just use QR codes and be done with it :p

*random conversation about which CPU someone should upgrade to*

"Oh yeah, that one is your best bet, the Intel Core i7-*beatboxing gibberish*"

My head tried to think how to pronounce a QR code and was brought back to the Post Office scene in Men in Black 2.

• Haha
Reactions: bug
I can see how multiple chips on the same package can be useful, but I'm not sure I see the advantage of this setup other than power savings. Currently, multi-core cpus power gate the unused cores, but they're all the same and all high performance. While "little" cores use less power, if you truly need to ramp up for more demanding workloads, you wind up with a couple of high performance cores working along side some slower ones. Kind of going backwards from a performance perspective.

Kind of going backwards from a performance perspective.
It's not really, for the kind of workloads this is gonna be used for it's likely gonna be the best in class ~ in terms of a balanced design & approach. Although I do expect these chips to be more expensive (than say equivalent pentium or celeron chips) & the devices sporting them to be uber expensive, at least at first.

I can see how multiple chips on the same package can be useful, but I'm not sure I see the advantage of this setup other than power savings. Currently, multi-core cpus power gate the unused cores, but they're all the same and all high performance. While "little" cores use less power, if you truly need to ramp up for more demanding workloads, you wind up with a couple of high performance cores working along side some slower ones. Kind of going backwards from a performance perspective.
Not necessarily.

An efficient low power core could still be used in say, a game, for a less demanding thread. It's greater efficiency would make it produce less heat than a high performance core doing the same job, and performance would be unaffected for that thread.

But because it's not generating as much heat, your package temp as a whole is lower, which would mean the high performance cores may be able to clock higher for longer, increasing overall performance.

Sure, for a workload like Blender or Cinebench it's going to be slower, since there are no threads in those workloads that are of lower priority than other threads, but for a mixed workload like a game it could have advantages, especially if the low power cores are physically placed between the high power ones, thus helping to reduce the thermal density of the CPU die overall.

+ GPUs
+ OneAPI

Nice.
You're an Intel fanboy. That much is clear from prevoius news comments. Go buy Lakefield, go buy DG1, use OneAPI - oh that's right - you can't.
That's what Intel is these days. A powerpoint company who has cool tech behind closed doors (or so they say) but no actual compelling products in retail.

You're an Intel fanboy. That much is clear from prevoius news comments. Go buy Lakefield, go buy DG1, use OneAPI - oh that's right - you can't.
I don't understand why it's fine to drool over leaks of AMD's Cinebench scores, but you find it so weird that someone looks forward to using some really interesting Intel stuff.
Care to explain?
no actual compelling products in retail.
Reality disagrees. You've missed the financial reporting, right?

System Name Purple Stuff
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 960 500 GB, HDD 4TB WD Black, SSD Crucial MX400 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27" x2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Power Supply Seasonic Focus + Platinum 850 W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 700
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software Win 10 Pro
That's what Intel is these days. A powerpoint company who has cool tech behind closed doors (or so they say) but no actual compelling products in retail.

Rude and uncalled for tbh, WCCF type of comment, even though I agree with some points in the second part of it the first part just trashes the rest of the read.
On Topic: I'm really curious about the market this would cater to and cannot wonder if they're not to late to the party, time will tell though.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

What is your contribution other than bashing like this?

I think this is new technology and its apparently one attempt for Intel to move CPU forward. I don't see what's wrong with that, and I'll take this sort of news a hundred times over the next Lake-on-fire. Its a bench of working, new tech...

I don't understand why it's fine to drool over leaks of AMD's Cinebench scores, but you find it so weird that someone looks forward to using some really interesting Intel stuff.
Care to explain?
Atleast those are scores for real, existing products in retail. It literally does not matter how intresting Intel's stuff is if they can't produce it and it's not in retail. Like i said - a powerpoint company.
Reality disagrees. You've missed the financial reporting, right?
...revenue based on aging 14nm tech and server sales. Nothing too exciting. What's you point with this sentance?
I think this is new technology and its apparently one attempt for Intel to move CPU forward. I don't see what's wrong with that, and I'll take this sort of news a hundred times over the next Lake-on-fire. Its a bench of working, new tech...
10nm desktop and server = not delivered. Only some mobile CPU's that top out at 4c/8t
7nm = not delivered until 2022 at the earliest.
Foveros = not delivered
Lakefield = not delivered
EMIB = not delivered. Only a single product from years ago.
Optane 2nd gen = not delivered
PCI-E 4.0 = not delivered
GPU's = not delivered. Only a single low end development vehicle.
Willow Cove = not delivered
Golden Cove = not delivered
Sapphire Rapids = not delivered

Intel. A company that overpromises and underdelivers.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Lakefield = not delivered
It's in the new/unreleased Microsoft Surface Neo.

A variation of Samsung's Galaxy Book S with Lakefield is set to release this year.

Last edited:
On Topic: I'm really curious about the market this would cater to and cannot wonder if they're not to late to the party, time will tell though.
You mean heterogeneous cores?
They really improved battery life in smartphones. No reason why something similar wouldn't happen in laptops.
Late to the party - clearly not - there's no competition on x86. And it'll make incoming ARM ultrabooks less attractive as well.

In fact, I'd love to have control over this. Like a big, mechanical switch on the side of my laptop for limiting the CPU just to the little cores (we used to get that for WiFi).
Multiple random events make the CPU spike from time to time - eating battery and generating more cooling noise.
But when I'm just reading a text or doing basic browsing, I'm fine with a 2-core Atom limited to 3W.
Also, since such a 3W chip would be fine on laptop's passive cooling capabilities (with big margin), one could safely keep the notebook running in a bag or even a sleeve.

Possible use cases are quite simple to imagine. But let's wait and see what kind of product we actually get. :)

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

An efficient low power core could still be used in say, a game, for a less demanding thread. It's greater efficiency would make it produce less heat than a high performance core doing the same job, and performance would be unaffected for that thread.

But because it's not generating as much heat, your package temp as a whole is lower, which would mean the high performance cores may be able to clock higher for longer, increasing overall performance.

Sure, for a workload like Blender or Cinebench it's going to be slower, since there are no threads in those workloads that are of lower priority than other threads, but for a mixed workload like a game it could have advantages, especially if the low power cores are physically placed between the high power ones, thus helping to reduce the thermal density of the CPU die overall.

Yeah, with some current games that run mostly on 1-2 threads, but games are increasingly taking advantage of more cores, and, as we've seen with Ryzen, windows scheduler has enough issues with keeping cores and threads straight. I can't imagine it trying to keep straight which threads have to run fast vs those that don't. Besides, if a game, or any software for that matter, can benefit from more, faster cores, why would they bother to sort out which one goes where?

Yeah, with some current games that run mostly on 1-2 threads, but games are increasingly taking advantage of more cores
That's a misunderstanding.
A game, or any complex software, runs many threads (even tens or hundreds). They will be run on all available cores.
The problem is: some threads are heavy and some are extremely light.
If a program runs 2 compute threads and 10 tiny "utility" threads, it'll use 2 cores and just a marginal part of the rest.
Besides, if a game, or any software for that matter, can benefit from more, faster cores, why would they bother to sort out which one goes where?
Because of context switching.
So in the Blender example mentioned earlier: heavy rendering would be run on the "big" cores, while light background stuff (OS, networking etc) could be kept on the small ones. That means less switching and less performance lost.

And on the other hand: that would help PC remain responsive (usable) even under heavy load (also improving stability!). If your mouse/keyboard, your music player and browser are run by separate cores, you can still do something useful with a PC that is otherwise totally clogged by a computing task.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Intel. A company that overpromises and underdelivers.

Thanks but you can state the obvious without getting personal, too. We all know this, don't we?

Regardless of all they don't deliver, I think its good to keep an eye out for the developments that DO matter, and BIG.Little on x86... I say bring it on! We've already seen its merit.