• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computex 2020 in Jeopardy as Taiwan Bans All Foreign Visitors

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I agree. But dampening the pressure on health care certainly is, and isolation > controlled exposure is a means to that.
And the importance of it is seen in my state. We are 7 days from over-burdening the Louisiana health system at the rate it is growing. In New Orleans that point will be reached in less than a week. I make that point without any hysteria. It’s simply the point at which our deaths will rapidly climb to match the infection rate.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
And? It's not the end of the world and isolation is not the answer.
I wonder what your opinion would be working in a hospital right now. It might not be the answer as far as making it "go away" but it's grinding healthcare systems to the ground. That's not good for anyone.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
There was something put out by some authority that face masks can help reduce the spread if infected people wear it.
The only problem with that information that has been put out is that the infected are contagious for days before symptoms show.

Last edited:
System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
If anything, masks have actually been shown to be near useless when it comes to not just COVID-19, but anything similar to it; I'm talking about your typical mask you see in doctor's offices, hospitals, etc. While it's been suggested that ONLY THOSE INFECTED wear such a mask, they are only of marginal help when it comes to preventing the spread of the virus. Simply put, these things aren't sufficient enough to contain cough/sneeze droplets of an infected person. Some will still be released into the air, and that's still dangerous. It's only the heavy-duty N95 masks that are of actual use, and the ones needed most right now by those fighting this thing on the front lines.

I wonder what your opinion would be working in a hospital right now. It might not be the answer as far as making it "go away" but it's grinding healthcare systems to the ground. That's not good for anyone.
While I agree with you, isolation isn't a functional solution at this point and hasn't been for over a month. The virus has spread everywhere and as such, there is no slowing it down. It's too late for that. Shutting down the planet isn't the solution. Getting on with life and working the problem is. We have to work the problem one way or another because it's not going away, so let's just get on with life and not let this problem beat us all down.

Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
While I agree with you, isolation isn't a functional solution at this point and hasn't been for over a month. The virus has spread everywhere and as such, there is no slowing it down. It's too late for that. Shutting down the planet isn't the solution. Getting on with life and working the problem is. We have to work the problem one way or another because it's not going away, so let's just get on with life.

While I want to agree with this, the fact of the matter is this has quickly gone from a "China Problem" to a GLOBAL PROBLEM in a very short amount of time, and that's serious. Sure, there may comme a time in the future where COVID-19 becomes just another "seasonal" illness like the common cold or flu that we protect ourselves against with a shot and a booster every X number of years, but if we don't get a handle on this thing NOW, we'll quickly become another Italy, and NOBODY wants to see a repeat of what's continuing to go on over there, in their own backyard.

So I'm afraid it's not so simple to "get on with life" at the moment. For people in many states, counties, and even other countries, living with this virus and being vigilant in making sure they don't become infected has become their "new life" until something can be done about the virus. I mean, yeah it's been frequently repeated that "Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness."(Source: World Health Organization - https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses) and I still consider myself "young" (33), that doesn't mean I'm in a hurry to find out what it's like!

While I want to agree with this, the fact of the matter is this has quickly gone from a "China Problem" to a GLOBAL PROBLEM in a very short amount of time
It was like that by the end of January, but no one knew it because of the gestation period which is anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.
that doesn't mean I'm in a hurry to find out what it's like!
New flash for you there, you're in California, a hotspot for the virus. It is very likely that you already have it and don't know it yet.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
It was like that by the end of January, but no one knew it because of the gestation period which is anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.

New flash for you there, you're in California, a hotspot for the virus. It is very likely that you already have it and don't know it yet.

You kinda just proved the point I was trying to make about how crucial it is that the country gets its act together and clamps down on this thing. Trust me, you don't have to tell me how bad it's gotten here -- I KNOW. The governor has ordered that the ENTIRE state "shelter in place" for f$%ks sake.