• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Rumored to Launch New Mac in 2021 with 5 nm A14 SoC, x86 no More

In a recent report by Bloomberg it was revealed that Apple is planning to start selling Mac computers featuring their upcoming in-house A14 ARM chip which will power the next generation iPhone & iPad in 2021. According to sources familiar with the matter Apple is developing three new processors based on the A14 to power some 2021 Mac products, these chips will be manufactured on TSMCs 5 nm process. One of these new processors is expected to be more powerful then the iPhone version.

This marks a significant move for Apple as they shift from x86 to in-house ARM designs across their entire product lineup, we have an editorial on the rise of ARM here. This development is part of Apple's plan to increase control over their products in an attempt to fully unify the Apple ecosystem and reduce reliance on Intel who has struggled to offer significant performance increases in recent years, this will come as a major blow to Intel who benefited greatly from Apple's demand. Apple will need to adapt MacOS for an ARM based design and ensure their is compatibility for third party x86 applications. The first processor is expected to feature 8 "Firestorm" cores and at least four energy-efficient "Icestorm" cores, Apple is also exploring options for up to 12 core processors based on the same design for use in future Macs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

There is some confusion with the title. Is the custom the chip, or the node it is coming from?
Either TSMC made a custom node available to Apple, or Apple outdid itself which is true by default.

System Name Gaming PC/ EDU PC/ HFS PC
Processor Intel i9-9900KF/ Dual Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate/ Dual Asrock X370 Proffesional Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S/ Arctic Xtreme Freezer/ Ryzen Wraith Prysm RGB
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3200/ 32GB Corsair Dominator 3000/ 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra / MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus / EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming
Storage Dual 970 EVO Plus 1TB + 6Tb 860 EVO/ 960 EVO 500GB + 18Tb R0/ 840EVO 250Gb + 16Tb R0
Display(s) Samsung 32" U32R590 Curved 3480x2160 / Samsung 32" LC32H711 Curved 2560x1440 Freesync
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830 NV Edition/ Dual Cooler Master 690 Advance II
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 SBX/ Creative X-Fi Titanium Pci-E/ On-board Realtek
Power Supply Triple Corsair Platinum HX850i
Mouse Logitech G7 WL / Logitech G903 Lightspeed / MS BT 8000
Keyboard Dual Logitech G19s
Software Win10 Pro
so basically you will buy a phone with bigger screen which resembles a laptop....

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
I wonder what will became of all those professional that are using x86 software and plugins (like audio VSTs).

Apple has some experience when they moved from PowerPC to x86, I think they will be prepared.

Apple has some experience when they moved from PowerPC to x86, I think they will be prepared.
Unfortunately several hundred of Audio plugins (VSTs or AU) are not developed/maintained by Apple, I foresee a big move to Windows by Music producers.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Unfortunately several hundred of Audio plugins (VSTs or AU) are not developed/maintained by Apple, I foresee a big move to Windows by Music producers.

Moving from PowerPC to x86-64.... and now moving to another arch... doesn't look too smart in my opinion

I do music production on an iPad mini 2, and while I was skeptical at first, it did surprise me a lot, on every aspect: software availability for music prod, performance, sound quality, etc.
I just keep my windows desktop computer for the rest, like FL studio and so on.

But anyway... Unless that apple chip has some kind of x86 extensions (which would need the signing of an agreement to do so) or some kind of emulation layer (slower performance), I don't think it will be strong enough to replace a x86-64 chip.

Its all about costs too, having a powerful chip available in house would be much cheaper to include in a mac computer, much cheaper than including an intel chip. Way more cheaper. However, I would go Ryzen if that was the case.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well 1st, I do not consider myself an Apple "fanboi", but rather an enthusiast who enjoys using and seeing technology at it's best, and understands most of the hurdles involved in achieving the many advances that have come our way in the past 40+ years.

So before this topic goes too far one way or the other, whether you like Apple or you don't, you should give them some respect for their massive undertakings and what they accomplished with their move from the AIM/powerpc/macOS realm to X86-64 and everything in between....

Yea I know they have made some really dick moves during that transition and in recent years, but still, they endured through all of it and have become a massive commercial & financial powerhouse, all while losing several key people from the early years, as well as their co-founders and ceo....

And having had past experience with Apple's hardware & software ecosystem, I know that, just like the Russians in The Hunt For Red October, "they don't take a dump without a plan" ..;)..:laugh:..:eek:

So hold onto your hats, 'cause when this change happens, you won't wanna be caught without one....

System Name Dreamstation2
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Aorus 2080 Ti Turbo (sounds like a vaccum cleaner at full load)
Storage 2 x 1TB M.2 NVME + 1TB 2.5" SSD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 4k
Case NZXT H500i
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50x / Edifier R1855DB
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
I wonder what will became of all those professional that are using x86 software and plugins (like audio VSTs).
They will keep selling x86 based laptops for some years I guess. Old architecture will be phased out slowly. The first ARM based laptops should be the thin and light low-spec ones. Replacing a full product line would be risky.
Or maybe not. Apple could say "screw the customer" (they've done it in the past) and swap the entire next generation to ARM. We'll see.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Usually what this kind of article comes down to is that Apple hedges its bets, always. From what I can tell they have had OS X compiling on their ARM SOCs for years, just in case they need to switch for some reason.

So every once in a while, some journalist or investor who doesn't know that comes in and speculates and creates another round of rumors. Happens at least twice a year.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
It depends. Apple just launched a revised Mac Pro, so I don't see them abandoning x86 entirely in that product's life cycle. The other question would be, what makes more sense for software companies if Apple swaps to ARM? Maybe Apple has a trick up its sleeve for the creative professionals. Just look at the Afterburner card, which makes video encoding apparently ridiculously fast. I think that this is where Apple is heading--yes, ARM will drive the core, but they've already started inserting their own architecture in Macs in various places, like the T2 chip. I'm very curious to hear what their "Pro" strategy is. Apple makes a great mobile chip, with great CPU and GPU performance, but how will this scale into desktop space? Can they still pair it with AMD graphics, or are they going to make their own GPUs too?