• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Announces Surface Go 2, Surface Book 3, Surface Headphones 2 and Surface Earbuds

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
The way we work, connect and learn continues to change right in front of us. Our devices have become our window to the world - our office, our school and our social space. To help navigate the current environment people are turning to Windows PCs more than ever. In fact, over 4 trillion minutes are being spent on Windows 10 a month, a 75% increase year on year. It's not just the pull of the larger screen and better keyboard, but the versatility of a device that runs the software we need and games and entertainment we love, with cameras and mics built in to connect us to the people who matter most. This is what Windows PCs were built to do. This is what we design Surface for.

The new Surface Go 2, Surface Book 3, Surface Headphones 2, Surface Earbuds and accessories are designed to help you do what you need, from anywhere - a concept that has taken on new weight since we first started working on these products. Instead of planes, coffee shops and offices, we're moving from home office to kitchen table to couch, but our need for devices that keep us productive and connected has never been greater.

As a company, we are focused on supporting our customers during this time of change. From making Microsoft Teams available to everyone to evolving Microsoft 365, we want to make sure every person and every organization has the tools they need to stay connected and productive. Nothing inspires me more than seeing the amazing things our customers and employees are doing with our products. I've connected with educators like Dr. David Kellermann at the UNSW in Sydney and parents like Elisa who are using Surface to keep students engaged and learning from home. I've felt the energy from our own team as they navigated how to build and bring products to market remotely. I am deeply appreciative of work they are doing for our customers. We are so excited to get these new Surface devices in people's hands, meeting them where they are today and supporting them with the tools they need to keep working, keep creating and keep learning.

As we continue to expand our Surface family of devices, our goal is to design a Surface for every person, every work style and every location, scaling from the most portable to the most performant. To give you devices that can switch context as quickly as you do to take you from work to play to everything in between. Today we are announcing four new products and new accessories with that in mind.

• Surface Go 2 delivers incredible value in a light, portable design, providing a great device for anyone in your company or family.
  • Surface Book 3 is our most powerful laptop ever. Designed for professionals who need desktop-level performance from anywhere, this is the powerhouse workstation.
  • The Surface Headphones 2 and Surface Earbuds complete your Surface experience, helping you find focus wherever you are and stay connected to the people and content that matters.
  • The Surface Dock 2 and the multi-port Microsoft USB-C Travel Hub help you set up the ultimate workspace wherever that may be.

Surface Go 2
We created Surface Go to offer a more affordable and portable 2:1 to the Surface line. Organizations like Law School Admissions Council, Renault/F1 and National Healthcare Services in the U.K., and schools like Blue Springs School District in Missouri and Aichi Prefecture in Japan, have chosen Surface Go for its compact design, the versatility of the touch screen, keyboard, Pen and added connectivity of LTE Advanced.

Surface Go 2 keeps the same thin, lightweight design, but now offers a larger 10.5-inch PixelSense display, improved battery life and a model with up to 64% faster performance than the original with 8th Generation Intel Core M options for the first time. We've added Studio Mics, our dual microphone solution, to increase voice clarity and reduce background noise for Teams meetings or video chats, and a 5MP front-facing camera delivers sharp video even in low light. We've also added the new Camera app for the rear-facing camera to make it easy to scan documents and whiteboards - whether you're sharing notes from a meeting or turning in homework. Paired with Surface Pen, Surface Go 2 allows distance learners and remote workers to stay digital, while unlocking the power of natural ink for things like drawing diagrams, marking up documents or working through math equations. You can personalize your Surface Go with Type Covers, Sleeves and accessories in a variety of colors, including Platinum, Black, Poppy Red, and Ice Blue. Surface Go 2 starts at $399 and will be available starting May 12.

Surface Book 3
When we first designed Surface Book, our goal was to give people the power of a desktop, the versatility of a tablet, and the freedom of a light and thin laptop in one beautifully designed device. Developers, designers and professionals rely on Surface Book for coding and compiling, workloads in Adobe and Autodesk, and for gaming with Xbox Game Pass for PC or on Steam.

Surface Book 3 is our most powerful laptop ever, providing up to 50% more performance than Surface Book 2 and up to 17.5 hours of battery life. Whether you choose 13-inch or 15-inch, Surface Book 3 has beautifully crisp, high-DPI PixelSense Display, smooth, precise trackpad, comfortable keyboard and the performance of 10th Generation Intel Core processors and choice of discrete NVIDIA GeForce GTX or Quadro RTX GPUs. For developers that push the computing and IO performance of their device, Surface Book 3 now comes with up to 32 GB of RAM and the fastest SSD we have ever shipped. For people who love to game, Surface Book 3 15-inch has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX GPU with enough power to play the top Xbox Game Pass for PC titles at 1080p in a smooth 60 frames per second. We've also added a new option with the NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 to better meet the needs of commercial customers and higher education institutions. Surface Book 3 starts at $1599 and will be available starting May 21.

Surface Headphones 2

People tell us that putting on headphones is today's equivalent of shutting the office door to focus and connect in any setting. Surface Headphones 2 are designed to slip comfortably over your ears and surround you with spectacular sound quality, including 13 levels of ambient noise control. We improved sound quality and battery life, bringing you up to 20 hours of clear sound. Our active noise cancellation is adjustable through intuitive on-ear dials and specifically tuned to either block out or amplify human voices. This comes in handy when you are trying to work from home with roommates, kids, significant others or pets. We updated the ear cup design to rotate 180 degrees for greater comfort when wearing around your neck, and added a beautiful Black finish option in addition to our classic Platinum. Surface Headphones 2 are priced at $249 and will be available starting May 12.

Surface Earbuds

We know there are times when you want to be connected without fully shutting out the world - such as listening to music while out for a run or taking a call while making dinner. Featuring an ultra-comfortable and stable fit, Surface Earbuds offer intuitive touch controls so you can start a phone call or change the song without taking out your phone. Experience rich, immersive Omnisonic sound and instantly play Spotify from your Android phone with a triple tap on either earbud. Screen-free integration with Microsoft 365 lets you catch up on emails with Play My Emails in the Outlook Mobile App for iOS or allow you to dictate in Word, Outlook or PowerPoint. Enjoy all-day battery life with the included wireless charging case. Surface Earbuds are priced at $199 and will be available starting May 12.

Surface Dock 2

The ability to connect to monitors, accessories and additional storage can help you set up the ultimate workspace. Surface Dock 2 helps you expand your workspace with a simple magnetic click and delivers faster charging, higher data transfer rates and the enterprise management tools people have been asking for. We're also announcing a new multi-port Microsoft USB-C Travel Hub to give you more ways to connect to networks, displays and USB-C accessories when you're on the go. Surface Dock 2 is priced at $259.99 and the Microsoft USB-C Travel Hub is priced at $99.99. Both will start shipping to customers later this month in select markets.

Microsoft PC Accessories
We're also introducing two new Microsoft accessories bundles designed to help make you more productive and comfortable wherever your office is located. The Microsoft Ergonomic Desktop reduces fatigue and delivers exceptional comfort and control with a split keyboard design featuring a cushioned palm rest and an ultra-precise mouse with cushioned thumb rest. The Microsoft Bluetooth Desktop gives you a full-sized keyset in a slim and modern design and a compact, stylish mouse that fits comfortably in your hand. The Microsoft Ergonomic Desktop is priced at $89.99 and the Microsoft Bluetooth Desktop is priced at $59.99.

The new Surface Go 2, Surface Book 3, Surface Headphones 2, Surface Earbuds, Surface Dock 2 and accessories are available for preorder today in select markets and will roll out to all Surface markets in the coming months. To help better address the global demand we are seeing for Surface, we excited to share that we will bring Surface to Mexico and South Africa later this year.

We hope these new products will not only help people be more productive from wherever they are currently working and learning, but also help people find moments of focus and relaxation. With our most complete Surface portfolio ever, we have devices and accessories to meet a broad set of needs. Find the Surface that's right for you. We can't wait to see what you'll do with it.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
The first gen surface book was interesting, but as years goes by it's becoming more and more a niche product. It's maxing out at 4 cores even with the 15'6 model, so saying that it matches the power of a desktop pc is just lousy marketing. A mobile workstation should offer at least 6 cores nowadays.

It used to be called a "macbook pro killer" but since 2015 the latter became more powerfull on the cpu side. Microsoft only win on the gpu side.

If you don't have a use for the screen, it's a hard sell against the dell xps... they really, really should have gone with the ryzen 4000U cpu. 6/8 core in a 15 watts enclosure. But noooo, they had to stick with Intel.

Last edited:
System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
I was pretty keen on a Surface Book 3, but seeing there is no Renoir option I think I'll skip it...

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
8th generation Intel m3 CPU in the new Surface Go 2? Then that most likely means the m3-8100Y. :(

I was hoping it would at least be an i3-1000G4, so it has some graphical grunt to it, but m3-8100Y means HD Graphics 615 again (the Pentium Gold variant is also 615).

Ah well, the Surface Go 2 will still be a good POS machine.

Well I always used to think how cool it would be if we could get a full Windows on a portable tablet machine after seeing Sony Vaio UX Micro PC (Terminator Salvation) and GPD devices rather than a laptop. But it went all haywire ever since their touchscreen obsession started, they made that Win8 UX which was touchscreen friendly and bam, massive push back from the PC market and Enterprise alike and that OS was dead, finally got a good patch 8.1. And now Win10, double down on the same ridiculous garbage and this time, even worse by essentially making everything gate behind that UWP DRM system from Crucial applications to the Core applications such as Control Panel and adding more UEFI policies which made it hard to access advanced BIOS settings and added UEFI restrictions for Linux installations and now BIOS is soon to be EOLed, it was actually slated for 2020 from both Intel and M$ along with Win7 looks like it's going to take more time, better for us.

Coming to the Surface, I just googled and found out there are Linux installations possible which is good because whenver I tried to search how the Linux works, I always got a No. So now perhaps a good progress. However, the worst part - full blown irreparable BGA lockdown like Apple from battery gluing to the casing and SSD soldered to the board and impossible to service making it a consumable product, Win10 unwanted updates which lock out users from controlling their processors (Plundervolt SGX CVE) no UV options, massive privacy invasion. Wonder if we ever see the non consumable products in these portables, Schools and eveyrthing are pushing for the same so no wonder all kids want these only and dumbed down experience of the computers.

The unfortunate part is Microsoft reshuffled everything in Windows again from firing Terry and restructuring it to Cloud operations team, again they did. So now Surface team looks at that Windows, what that means ? Means the Windows development from UX and featureset will be soley dependent on their Surface lineup and Surface is a horrible overpriced product, the cinebench score drops like a rock.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Well I always used to think how cool it would be if we could get a full Windows on a portable tablet machine after seeing Sony Vaio UX Micro PC (Terminator Salvation) and GPD devices rather than a laptop. But it went all haywire ever since their touchscreen obsession started, they made that Win8 UX which was touchscreen friendly and bam, massive push back from the PC market and Enterprise alike and that OS was dead, finally got a good patch 8.1. And now Win10, double down on the same ridiculous garbage and this time, even worse by essentially making everything gate behind that UWP DRM system from Crucial applications to the Core applications such as Control Panel and adding more UEFI policies which made it hard to access advanced BIOS settings and added UEFI restrictions for Linux installations and now BIOS is soon to be EOLed, it was actually slated for 2020 from both Intel and M$ along with Win7 looks like it's going to take more time, better for us.

Coming to the Surface, I just googled and found out there are Linux installations possible which is good because whenver I tried to search how the Linux works, I always got a No. So now perhaps a good progress. However, the worst part - full blown irreparable BGA lockdown like Apple from battery gluing to the casing and SSD soldered to the board and impossible to service making it a consumable product, Win10 unwanted updates which lock out users from controlling their processors (Plundervolt SGX CVE) no UV options, massive privacy invasion. Wonder if we ever see the non consumable products in these portables, Schools and eveyrthing are pushing for the same so no wonder all kids want these only and dumbed down experience of the computers.

The unfortunate part is Microsoft reshuffled everything in Windows again from firing Terry and restructuring it to Cloud operations team, again they did. So now Surface team looks at that Windows, what that means ? Means the Windows development from UX and featureset will be soley dependent on their Surface lineup and Surface is a horrible overpriced product, the cinebench score drops like a rock.
Surface was never really meant to be a value product, but rather a kick in the ass of microsoft partners. It started well, but now microsoft joined the rank of those who just don't get it.

The surface go got the same issues as the netbooks : people buying those will expect a classic windows experience for cheap, but right now x86 isn't fast and efficient enough to provide that experience.

If they are still working with AMD for the surface laptop 4, The surface book 3 will be weaker by a significant margin in the cpu area.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Surface was never really meant to be a value product, but rather a kick in the ass of microsoft partners. It started well, but now microsoft joined the rank of those who just don't get it.

The surface go got the same issues as the netbooks : people buying those will expect a classic windows experience for cheap, but right now x86 isn't fast and efficient enough to provide that experience.

If they are still working with AMD for the surface laptop 4, The surface book 3 will be weaker by a significant margin in the cpu area.

QFT! I really liked the early Surface models, they struck a decent balance and looked nice. Now its just more of the same stuff I wouldn't need.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Go2: Lets rehash almost the exact same machine as the first one but just tweak it here and there.

Whatever they thought the point of making a 2nd Go before hardware advanced more... /facepalm

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
The design and manageability on these are nice, but those hardware options are either dated or underpowered.

The top spec'd SB3 really should have at least a 6 core, if not an 8.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Surface Earbuds

Exactly what I expect of the "Me too!" company. Not one single original idea or innovation.

all this hate here about the new surface products. You guys really need to relax a bit.
I am by no means a windows friend but I am an Apple hater and I am to lazy to get comfortable with Linux so windows is the way to go.
I am in particular interested in 2 things here. The Go2 and the earbuds. yes they are expensive, and on the "surface" (pun intended) there is not a lot new here but look a bit deeper guys.

I have the 1st Gen Go and I use it for media and entertainment purposes... only. The Go was never more and will never be, because you can't work efficiently on an 10" screen. But what you can do on such a device is configure it for entertainment at home or on the go, what you would usually use an Android or iPad for, with the difference that you can have your experience without ads, because you can change the Win10S in Win10Home and do whatever you want. And as I am writing this I think, what you actually do, is paying for an ad-free experience and would I gladly do it. Everybody who whats to game with this device is stupid, for this you have a gaming PC or a console, or at least a real laptop for the smaller games.
What I was hoping for was a bit more CPU power, because the Go could use a bit more. Benchmarks will show if I got that with the i3-8100Y. The RAM upgrade to 8GB is nice though. Will it justify a new buy? We will see! If not I use the one I have for 2 more years because I can, because I do get SW updates for it.
Oh and I forgot to mention, the accessories for the og Surface Go can be used with the new one too, which is very good.

the earbuds: just show me a pair of truly wireless earbuds which easily connects to a windows machine as well as all your other mobile devices with other OSs. For that alone I would buy them, everything else is icing on the cake. Nothing more to say on this one.

The ANC Headphones: I am rocking a Bose QC35 since 5y, best buy ever. The first gen of their ANC Headphone weren't up to it, tests will show if these ones are, the price is ok, the black color option too.

All I am trying to say is, relax and try looking a bit further than your own horizon.

Regards YSE

edit: just realized that my og Go also has 8GB Ram, didn't even remember that. which means the only update would be a slightly faster CPU and a slightly bigger display which is probably not worth an upgrade buy.

Last edited: