• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Shares Fascinating Insights Into "Comet Lake" Binning

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
MSI in its weekly "MSI Insider" livestream shared fascinating insights into the way Intel appears to be sorting out its "Comet Lake" silicon across the various brand extensions of its 10th generation Core desktop processors. Its tech leads Eric Van Beurden and Michiel Berkhout spoke at length about MSI's own evaluation of the trays of Core i5-10600K/KF, i7-10700K/KF, and i9-10900K/KF chips it received (the only unlocked chips across the lineup), which they used as empirical evidence to suggest a model for Intel's binning.

MSI segregated the chips it received into three categories. Level A consists of chips that overclock higher than Intel's specifications (overclocking headroom higher than expected). Level B consists of those that overclock within Intel's specifications. Level C, on the other hand, have their overclocking headroom fall below Intel's specifications. It's important to note here that "Intel specification" doesn't mean "stock frequencies," it refers to the overclocking headroom Intel communicates to motherboard manufacturers, to give them an idea of the minimum board design requirements needed to guarantee overclocking within these specifications, for their Z490 motherboards. These are more of a guideline in nature, all three levels will overclock above stock frequencies.

In its testing, MSI found that only 2% of the i5-10600K/KF chips went above and beyond Intel specifications, qualifying for Level A. For the i7-10700K/KF, this number stands at only 5%. It's only with the i9-10900K/KF that the number shoots up to 27%. So your chances of getting a golden i5-10600K/KF or i7-10700K/KF are rather slim.

Moving on, a majority of both the i5-10600K/KF and i7-10700K/KF overclock within Intel specifications, with 52% of the i5-10600K/KF qualifying for Level B, and 58% of the i7-10700K/KF. 35% of the i9-10900K/KF qualify for this bin. Lastly, nearly 1/3rd of all three chips fall below Intel specifications, ending up in Level C. That's 31% of the i5-10600K/KF, 32% of the i7-10700K/KF, and 27% of the i9-10900K/KF.

The distribution of the three bins is a lot more uniform with the i9-10900K/KF than it is with the i7-10700K/KF and the i5-10600K/KF, and so MSI suggests that you have a much better chance of landing a good Level B or great Level A chip with the i9-10900K/KF. Level C taking up nearly 1/3rd of all three chips is a cause for concern indeed.

The second graph (above) talks about the voltage vs. average package power relationship among the three bins, to show you just how stark the differences between Level A and Level C are.

Find more comments by MSI in the video below.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Based on what I was told by someone I know that works for one of the motherboard makers, this is based on QS samples and it differs for MP parts.
It's obviously not completely wrong, but should be taken with a pinch of salt when it comes to the binning and the performance you can expect to get from your CPU if you buy one of these.

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
What those graphs prove is that intel is keeping the A class chips of those types, and the trays they got didn't have as many in them.

A real distribution is always a bell curve; in this case the left hand side has been truncated.
Note the third graph; it's a normal distribution.

I'm sure those processors exist somewhere. :)

They just didn't pay the jack to get a normal distribution, if I had to guess. :D

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
What those graphs prove is that intel is keeping the A class chips of those types, and the trays they got didn't have as many in them.

A real distribution is always a bell curve; in this case the left hand side has been truncated.
Note the third graph; it's a normal distribution.

I'm sure those processors exist somewhere. :)

They just didn't pay the jack to get a normal distribution, if I had to guess. :D
I'm not sure that you understood the graph properly. This is about binning, so obviously the larger share of "A" grade will go into the most expensive SKUs, this is always the case, regardless which company you buy from and which CPU you buy.
Yes, maybe Intel did give them some "B" grade CPUs for the lower SKUs, but I don't think it's all that likely, as Intel normally doesn't do selective testing on the parts they give to the board makers, they just give them a tray or two of each kind to test with.
Note again that these are QS (Qualification Samples), i.e. intended for the boards makers to do final checks with and near MP grade silicon.
I hope you don't expect that the i5 chips should clock as high as the i9 chips?

Also, it seems like MSI messed up the Voltage vs Package power graph, as all chips are i5's in it...

System Name BorgX79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Win7x64
I stand by my post; their binning is off because they didn't get an even distribution.

I've done manufacturing for years, and the right two distributions are not normal; the third one is.

This one.

The only way you get this distribution in a herd of cows is if you shoot most of the blue cows, lol.

As an overclocker, I'm personally looking for those Blue Cows. :)

My question is what distributor is selling the unicorns?

:)

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Personally I love how it ends on ,so get an i9, err no.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I stand by my post; their binning is off because they didn't get an even distribution.

I've done manufacturing for years, and the right two distributions are not normal; the third one is.

This one.

The only way you get this distribution in a herd of cows is if you shoot most of the blue cows, lol.

How can you know that? Then the third one isn't right either, as by your bell curve logic, then there aren't enough "B" grade parts for the i9's. On top of that, "A" and "C" grade is the exact same percentage, which is highly unlikely, no? Again, what we're looking at is QS parts, not MP products. Normally MP chips are of higher quality than the QS parts.

I don't think you understand how chip binning works. For starters, the i9 is the "goal" when a wafer of chips is produced. Ideally, a the whole wafer should be i9 parts only. However, that's never going to happen, as there are always some defects. Then the parts at the centre of that wafer are going to clock higher than the ones further out and the ones at the edge clocks the worse, as that's silicon manufacturing for you. As such, only something like 30% are going to meet the screening requirements to end up as an i9. Within that 30%, you're then going to have a variance, which is what you're seeing here.

Normal manufacturing logic doesn't apply to complex ICs of this kind and that's why there's the silicon lottery when you're buying a CPU. Some of us luck out, some us get a dud. I have worked with and know a lot of the "professional" overclockers and I have covered more overclocking events than I care to remember. The board makers goes through about 20 trays of CPUs before a competition and out of those 20 trays, about four or five are brought along to the competitions, after having been sorted and tested by the in-house overclocker at whoever has the competition. Then the overclockers get to draw straws of who gets to pick first, but they have no idea how far those chips will overclock. There's always a variance that's pretty close to what we're seeing here, despite the fact that only the top chips even make it that far, the rest that gets left in the office, are obviously the "C" grade stuff.

For retail, if you get say an i9, you're obviously always going to get a CPU from the top 30% of what Intel makes for the consumer market. However, Intel never guarantees clock speeds, hence the "up to" in all their materials. This is also why people seemingly are willing to pay much more than MSRP to get pre-binned chips these days. Some overclockers even buy a tray or two of CPUs and do their own binning, just so they have a good chip to bench at home.

This is your go to place, if you want a pre-screened chip. No prices yet though.

those percentages dont add up to 100, does that mean that they tested 80~95% of all the chips intel has done so far?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

This one.

I think they get the dies off the water and know preemptively where better dies will usually be located due to manufacturing. Also due to flaws in the silicon itself there is a lottery.

But each CPU has special traces and test points that define it's quality, and then they probably get a second test to see what model the die will be. That distribution curve isn't bad, it's Intel utilizing the best cores for the premium models.

System Name BorgX79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Win7x64
Guys, all those processors have been thoroughly tested for various levels of functionality, even before they are cut from the wafer.

They test them at increasing levels of abuse, even before they are encapsulated.

They know exactly which ones are which, from the moment they are born. (as a die...)

There are several streams that the overall product goes into; the one referenced above is light on overclockers; my eye standard deviation detector is as good as my calculations: it's not a likely distribution.

I am not saying MSI got ripped off or anything; they just didn't pay for more.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons you should want to avoid 1st stepping CPUs / Mobos, RAM and anything else .... Always wait 3+ months and these yieds always improve.

Guys..... stop.
Currently both of you can be correct.
Why?

Because we don't know how the binning is done in Comet lake - S yet.
Using I9 10900K as an example, its an 10 core chip. As die size get larger, chance of defect become greater. However, if past history remain true, usually Intel doesn't use chip with disabled core for their top end product. Thus, 10900K should be a 10 core die (at least what I guessed), with no disabled core.
As for the I5 and I7 K part, there are two different scenario.
If Intel want best performance out of these I5 K/ I7 K part, usually they should use chip with all core activated for K chip.
If indeed Intel only use chip with all core activate, binning should follow bell curve, assuming that the ''Intel specification'' is the close to the true average K series suppose performance. (Huge assumption here)
However, we simply don't know, if Intel used chip with disabled core from larger die, these chip will likely overclock worse.
It is possible that Intel reserved certain better performing K chip for OEMs, but we don't have enough information to determine what's true, not until we have more information on die composition and manual overclocking performance yet.

TLDR: Too much information unknown, arguing now isn't particularly useful.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
So, if class C falls "below Intel overclocking specifications", does that mean these chips won't hit expected turbo frequencies?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Guys, all those processors have been thoroughly tested for various levels of functionality, even before they are cut from the wafer.

They test them at increasing levels of abuse, even before they are encapsulated.

They know exactly which ones are which, from the moment they are born. (as a die...)

There are several streams that the overall product goes into; the one referenced above is light on overclockers; my eye standard deviation detector is as good as my calculations: it's not a likely distribution.

I am not saying MSI got ripped off or anything; they just didn't pay for more.
Are you even testing my replies? They are free QS parts that Intel provides to all their partners for qualification testing.

You seemingly have your own ideas about things, but it's not correct in this case.

Just out of curiosity, how many Intel fabs, or any kind of semiconductor fab have you been to? I've been to several over the years and have sat through multiple chip manufacturing seminars and press briefings, but by all means, please ignore me.

This is one of the reasons you should want to avoid 1st stepping CPUs / Mobos, RAM and anything else .... Always wait 3+ months and these yieds always improve.
Again QS parts, not retail.

So, if class C falls "below Intel overclocking specifications", does that mean these chips won't hit expected turbo frequencies?
Most likely yes, but the "C" parts for a certain type of CPU should in theory not fall behind a certain given criteria. However, Intel has clearly covered their assess, by stating up to.

System Name "IBT 10x Maximum Stable"
Processor Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz -> 100xx46 - 1.296v
Motherboard MSI MPower Z97
Cooling Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair "HP Edition" SP120's
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz @ 2400MHz 10-11-12-31-1T - 1.66v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB @ 1314 Core/1973 Mem/1515 Boost
Storage Kingston 3K 120GB SSD + Western Digital 'Green' 2TB + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS 23" IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Rotel RA-04/Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + B&W DM302/Cerwin Vega AT12 / Sony MDR-XB700 & FiiO E5
Power Supply EVGA NEX650G + Silverstone Extensions
Mouse Always failing me....
Keyboard Endlessly broken.....
Software Windoze 7 Pro 64-bit/Windoze 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I had some of these once upon a time? Old age has seen me misplace them....

The article written above seems to state that all CPU's will meet the respective CPU turbo targets and go beyond that when OCing:

1588815565021.png

Maybe I'm reading this wrong.. @TheLostSwede?

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S
no one is shocked by the POWER COMSUMPTION of those suckers? i mean good lord look at that 203W package power on STOCK. NIBBA DAMM Meanwhile my ryzen 7 3700x in OC with full load stays on 90~97W in package power. thats insane how much money people will trow away in their bills.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
no one is shocked by the POWER COMSUMPTION of those suckers? i mean good lord look at that 203W package power on STOCK. NIBBA DAMM Meanwhile my ryzen 7 3700x in OC with full load stays on 90~97W in package power. thats insane how much money people will trow away in their bills.
Were you surprised when the sun came up this morning? :laugh:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
The article written above seems to state that all CPU's will meet the respective CPU turbo targets and go beyond that when OCing:

View attachment 154094

I don't think so, however, Intel still states up to, which is the tricky part. Normally Intel has always delivered the up to frequency, but with all their new, additional up to clocks, it's hard to know what all chips can do.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

View attachment 154094

Yes. Level A = overclocks better than expected. Level B = overclocks as expected. Level C = overclocks worse than expected. In all three cases, the CPU overclocks.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Based on what I was told by someone I know that works for one of the motherboard makers, this is based on QS samples and it differs for MP parts.
It's obviously not completely wrong, but should be taken with a pinch of salt when it comes to the binning and the performance you can expect to get from your CPU if you buy one of these.
This. I've heard the same thing... ;)

Mouse Logitech G300S
Were you surprised when the sun came up this morning? :laugh:

i forgot that some people in this forum don't pay for their electricity and still live with their parents... since i pay for my bill i'm going the hell away from those chips.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
My point was that these Intel chips have been consuming a lot of power for a long time. It's nothing shocking or surprising.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
i forgot that some people in this forum don't pay for their electricity and still live with their parents... since i pay for my bill i'm going the hell away from those chips.
If you can't afford an couple of dollars /month on your electric bill...you've got bigger problems. If there is a difference of 100W (say 250W to 150W) between the CPUs and you game/work 40 hours a week...that is an extra $1.60 (at 10c /KW /h) assuming I mathed right.

By far, the biggest issue is trying to cool these, especially when heavily overclocked, not paying for the power difference.

Mouse Logitech G300S
If you can't afford an couple of dollars /month on your electric bill...you've got bigger problems. If there is a difference of 100W (say 250W to 150W) between the CPUs and you game/work 40 hours a week...that is an extra $1.60 (at 10c /KW /h) assuming I mathed right.

By far, the biggest issue is trying to cool these, especially when heavily overclocked, not paying for the power difference.

you're assuming by your use, your price/kWh. but you're not seeing phone bill, grocery, medical bill, gas, etc. again i can afford that, but i can't increase my already high electricity bill, if you can, good for you, energy is affordable where you live, not where i live tho.

Last edited:
System Name BorgX79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Win7x64
I live in one of the cheapest areas for power; TVA is a wonderful socialist organization. :)

I pay $0.09531 per kilowatt hour.

What do you pay in Brazil?