• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI B550 Motherboard Lineup Hits the Radar

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
MSI registered five new motherboard SKUs with the Eurasian Economic Commission, based on the AMD B550 chipset. The five new socket AM4 motherboards cover a wide range of sub-$200 (expected) price-points. The lineup is led by the MSI Performance Gaming (MPG) B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi, which was part of AMD's chipset reveal presentation; followed closely by the MPG B550 Gaming Edge WiFi, its Mini-ITX sibling, the MPG B550I Gaming Edge WiFi; the MSI Arsenal Gaming (MAG) B550M Mortar WiFi; and the B550M PRO-VDH in the entry-level. The lineup is missing a "MAG B550 Tomahawk," possibly because MSI wants to launch it later. The company launched its MAG X570 Tomahawk rather recently, and probably still has inventories of its popular B450 Tomahawk MAX motherboard launched with large 32 MB BIOS ROM chips. AMD and its motherboard partners are expected to launch B550 chipset motherboard in mid-June, 2020.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I hope the B550 Tomahawk is going to be as good value as the X570 Tomahawk.

Processor Intel Core i7 11700
Motherboard Asus b560-i ROG
Cooling Thermalright Assassin King Mini
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 3600
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Ncase M1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse HyperX
Keyboard HyperX
Won’t mind a nice itx board for acceptable price.

Sub 200??? This is the new budget board? Maybe I need to double my hourly rate every year...

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
Hoping the B550M Mortar is as good as B450M Mortar, X570 mATX mobos are trash.

Second to that.Currently the only decent motherboard is Asrock X570M Pro 4, another one is utter trash Galax X570M.
I'm liking mATX form factor even more as it provide 2 PEGs while keeping space as minimum as possible.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'm waiting to see if "Titanium" shows up in their listings.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65

Second to that.Currently the only decent motherboard is Asrock X570M Pro 4, another one is utter trash Galax X570M.
I'm liking mATX form factor even more as it provide 2 PEGs while keeping space as minimum as possible.

My Crosshair VIII Impact would like a word with both of you :D

But, I'm guessing you're both talking about the more "affordable" options for X570 m-ATX/ITX form factors, and I heartily agree that the selection is pitifully lacking for those wanting to do smaller builds on AMD compared to Intel. And yes, most AMD boards on said form factors are less than great, especially for the money.

Part of my decision to go with the Impact was out of necessity, as I wanted to go with a smaller build, and 1. there simply aren't that many exceptional small form factor AM4 boards, especially on the X570 chipset -- hoping that B550 brings more -- and 2. even though I'm basically doing a whole new, way smaller, build, I didn't necessarily want to go Intel just because they tend to have far more m-ATX/ITX boards.

The Impact is sort of an anomaly, mainly because of its form factor - Mini-DTX. Best way to describe it would be that if an m-ATX board and an m-ITX board banged, the Impact would be the result :laugh: Same width as both, but it's maybe an inch longer in length compared to m-ATX

*Yells at mobo companies* MAKE MORE m-ATX AND ITX BOARDS FOR AM4, DAMN IT!

Ahem. That concludes my rant. Carry on, gentlemen.

Unfortunately, MATX is being perceived as the budget standard for a number of years now. I am a fan of MATX, but decided to move back to ATX a year ago due to the lack of good boards. In fact prior to X570, you can't find any X470 MATX board. These top end chipsets are only found on ATX or ITX.

I think what is key for a mid range chipset is going to be the price. Hopefully they will improve the build quality from B450 to B550 due to the increasing number cores AMD is introducing.

las

Cooling Custom Water

Yes, sadly mATX sacrifices too much on VRMs (especially) and often features too. It's considered a budget option for the most part, as in cheaper, less features etc.

Compact ATX cases made mATX fairly irellevant - You end up around the same size in the end. Difference is only 2.4 inch / 6 cm between ATX and mATX. You often get better VRMs on cheap ATX boards, compared to more expensive mATX boards (supply vs demand I guess).

ATX and ITX are the most popular options. Because if you want truly small, ITX is where it's at, not mATX.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
My Crosshair VIII Impact would like a word with both of you :D
But, I'm guessing you're both talking about the more "affordable" options for X570 m-ATX/ITX form factors, and I heartily agree that the selection is pitifully lacking for those wanting to do smaller builds on AMD compared to Intel. And yes, most AMD boards on said form factors are less than great, especially for the money.
Part of my decision to go with the Impact was out of necessity, as I wanted to go with a smaller build, and 1. there simply aren't that many exceptional small form factor AM4 boards, especially on the X570 chipset -- hoping that B550 brings more -- and 2. even though I'm basically doing a whole new, way smaller, build, I didn't necessarily want to go Intel just because they tend to have far more m-ATX/ITX boards.
The Impact is sort of an anomaly, mainly because of its form factor - Mini-DTX. Best way to describe it would be that if an m-ATX board and an m-ITX board banged, the Impact would be the result :laugh: Same width as both, but it's maybe an inch longer in length compared to m-ATX
*Yells at mobo companies* MAKE MORE m-ATX AND ITX BOARDS FOR AM4, DAMN IT!
Ahem. That concludes my rant. Carry on, gentlemen.

"Reasonably priced" to be exact, I assume everyone don't mind price tag as long as its served nifty feature.
Previously I had Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5 before decide switch to MSI B450M Mortar MAX, and I don't feel like its a downgrade, got same 4 SATA, 2 PEG, one more M.2, more beefy VRM. All said and done while squeezing smaller. What's not to like? :D
Currently, MSI is the only company that makes best midrange AM4 motherboard, they don't skimp out feature and not neglected VRM too much.I just hope they re-release B450M Mortar MAX with B550 chips.

Unfortunately, MATX is being perceived as the budget standard for a number of years now. I am a fan of MATX, but decided to move back to ATX a year ago due to the lack of good boards. In fact prior to X570, you can't find any X470 MATX board. These top end chipsets are only found on ATX or ITX.
I think what is key for a mid range chipset is going to be the price. Hopefully they will improve the build quality from B450 to B550 due to the increasing number cores AMD is introducing.

Biostar is known for their consistent for making budget mATX.

X470GTQ
X570GT

How do you think? Is any of them considered decent? I don't think so and I will not buy any motherboard that still had analog output in it!

Yes, sadly mATX sacrifices too much on VRMs (especially) and often features too. It's considered a budget option for the most part, as in cheaper, less features etc.
Compact ATX cases made mATX fairly irellevant - You end up around the same size in the end. Difference is only 2.4 inch / 6 cm between ATX and mATX. You often get better VRMs on cheap ATX boards, compared to more expensive mATX boards (supply vs demand I guess).
ATX and ITX are the most popular options. Because if you want truly small, ITX is where it's at, not mATX.

Problems with ITX form factor so far
- most chassis restricted to dual slot GPU, and most of AIB GPU right now sitting between 2.5 and 3 slot.
- doesn't have secondary PEG ( obvious ).
- ITX chassis mostly space constraint it cannot contain more than 4 drive, its either 2 2.5 inch + 2 3.5 inch combo or just 4 2.5 inch.
- temperature delta between ambient is too high, around 20-25°C.

I already tasted Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac build with Cooler Master Elite 130, both leave a bad taste in my mouth.

las

Cooling Custom Water
Problems with ITX form factor so far
- most chassis restricted to dual slot GPU, and most of AIB GPU right now sitting between 2.5 and 3 slot.
- doesn't have secondary PEG ( obvious ).
- ITX chassis mostly space constraint it cannot contain more than 4 drive, its either 2 2.5 inch + 2 3.5 inch combo or just 4 2.5 inch.
- temperature delta between ambient is too high, around 20-25°C.

I already tasted Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac build with Cooler Master Elite 130, both leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Well, I don't recommend ITX for gaming builds, but they are popular.

Secondary PEG is not really needed, since multi GPU is pretty much dead at this point. For high quality sound, there's USB DAC's.

There's several ITX cases that allows for 2.5 - maybe 3 slot graphics - You always need to be careful when you order parts for small builds, this is nothing new. Compatibility and watt usage.
There's nothing small about mATX IMO. Some mATX cases are bigger than some ATX cases. Especially these days, with no 3.5 drive mounting and no 5.25 bays needed
Temps always increase in small builds yes, again, I don't consider mATX small - 2.4 inch / 6 cm less motherboard heigh compared to ATX does not really make much difference

I went from a Corsair 350D mATX to Fractal Design Meshify C ATX, and the build is actually slightly smaller.The Meshify C is actually pretty much identical to the Define Mini C I have for my Ryzen rig. Mini C is probably among the most popular mATX cases in the last few years.

All this comes down to supply vs demand, there's simply much lower demand for mATX boards and cases compared to ATX and ITX is somewhere in between.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i7 11700
Motherboard Asus b560-i ROG
Cooling Thermalright Assassin King Mini
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 3600
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Ncase M1
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse HyperX
Keyboard HyperX
Same here. I really want to do an ITX b550 build for an htpc gaming living room setup.

planning to build nice intermediate rig with b550 and something like rtx 3060 until ddr5 and pcie 5 arrive and mature a bit in a few years. Ncase m1 is on the way and moved my z270i 6700k 1080 system to Sliger Conswole already.