• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermalright Intros TY-121BP FDB Low Impedance Fans

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
Well, there is a market for anything.
High impedance fans don't cater to the noise consciencious market. There is no relativite ground in this measure. If it is high impedance, you have the turbulence.
Also, high impedance destroys the image of the coolers. Once you push more air, the flow cross-section becomes turbulent and a competitive noise race with blade servers starts. Very funny to notice this, it totally limits fan preferences.
View attachment 155594

I think that you are somehow missing the point. I have zero interest in the information you provided and am not arguing anything about airflow. It's really funny that you think that is what high impedance or low impedance means. I mean, it doesn't even say that anywhere on the graphs you provided, but somehow that is already what it means to you. I sure hope that this terminology hasn't already caught on with others; otherwise confusion is unavoidable.

Using the term "low impedance" or "high impedance" to describe a PWM fan's air flow is STUPID. That's the problem.

Couldn't they use any other term? What's wrong with static pressure or CFM or any other already available measure of airflow?

PWM is an electronic feature. High impedance, or low impedance, is an electronic design characteristic. Stating "Low impedance PWM fan" literally states that it uses a low impedance PWM circuit; which is electrically terrible for this purpose. Literally. Like, you know, this is English, and that is what they wrote. That's also terrible; to destroy the meaning of words. Electrical impedance is very important ... why devalue it by using it to describe airflow?

Can't they use any other less misleading marketing terminology?

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Using the term "low impedance" or "high impedance" to describe a PWM fan's air flow is STUPID. That's MY problem.

Couldn't they use any other term? What's wrong with static pressure or CFM or any other already available measure of airflow?

PWM is an electronic feature. High impedance, or low impedance, is an electronic design characteristic.
Fixed it for you.
It seems to be a problem for you.
High impedance, low impedance is NOT only terminology used in electrical design, get over it.
p.s. is "stupid" a technical term?

Fixed it for you.
It seems to be a problem for you.
High impedance, low impedance is NOT only terminology used in electrical design, get over it.
p.s. is "stupid" a technical term?
Air impedance is a term used in thermodynamic literature. It is in the same definition as resistance. Obviously, you use a higher impedance fan when case flow is highly impeded.
I'm so happy with xbox consoles recently. It has been a favourite of mine to use backward impeller fans the sort HIS used to customise their gpus. So silent and emissive.

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
I don't know if anyone noticed the "ketchup and mustard" cables on the fine and it was going so well but that killed it.

High SP fans lost their "rai·son d'être" back in the 90s when radiators were 30 fpi ... with todays 8 -15 fpi rads... the need for high DP evaortated. As for case fans, any decent case deisgn of the last 20 years are has enough fan mounts that again high Sp just doesn't have a role.

A bit expensive on par with noctuas. But can it beat the noctuas?

Noctua lost the crown 7 years ago, Take the Noctua 1500 rpm Fans off a Noctua cooler and your CPU drops a whopping 3C ... at 300 less rpm ! ! ! Put them at the same speed (1200rpm) and your CPU is ***6C*** cooler. The new Silent Wings 3s are up there with the Phanteks. ... and often half the price. Newgg has them on special every 3 -4 months for $10.99 nut usually %12.99 - $14.99

Here again we see Phanteks winning the day against everything they through at it

The Phanteks PH-F140HP/TS is the clear winner in every respect. It edged out the new Noctuas every step of the way, delivering the best overall results of any fan we’ve tested thus far. To top it off, it had cleanest, smoothest sound of all the new fans in this roundup. If we had to start from scratch, this might be our new reference model.

Our current 140 mm reference fan, the Noctua NF-P14 FLX held its own against the newcomers. It didn’t cool quite as well as its successors but its acoustic character is still amongst the best you can find in a 140 mm model. For many, the new models’ improvement in cooling ability isn’t substantial enough to offset the superior sound of the older model. The fact this model has been discontinued is a shame — if you want one, get it now while you can.

The Noctua NF-A15 PWM and NF-A14 FLX followed close behind the Phanteks in our thermal performance test. The A15 has a smoother acoustic profile than the A14 but both sound fairly good to the ears. However, they share the misfortune of living in the shadow of the P14. The A15 and A14 have a rougher, muddier sound and neither is worthy of being a true successor.

Yes, years ago, we all read those posts with the Nocs crushing the competition ... but it's time to stop parrotting those old posts and look at what's changed over the years... look at the data .... remember when gramps would the "Oh [insert brand name] is the Cadillac of [whatever was the subject of discussion". Well today that saying is meaningless as most buying a new car would say '"What's a Cadilac". But my 88 year old dad still uses that expression. I have fond memories of my ugly Nocs ... and they were top dog .. in their day. With my last build containing 10 rad and 6 case fans ... it's not a hard choice:

a) Buy 11 new fans for $121 ... that match visually and acoustically with the 5 that came with the case, or
b) Buy 16 new fans for $400 ... that are louder and don't cool as well

For those unfamiliar with the letter designation F140 meas 140mm fan and the letters after designate the frame ... some are round, some are square depending on what they are mounted in ...another st of letters indicates 140mm fan w/ 1200m mounting screws.