• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alienware Announces AW2521H 360Hz Gaming Monitor

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The new Alienware AW2521H is a 24.5-inch extreme refresh-rate gaming monitor by Dell. If you can live with its Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) resolution, you can take advantage of its 360 Hz refresh-rate. The best part? This display uses an IPS panel (not TN-film), and supports NVIDIA G-Sync, letting it edge past the ASUS ROG Swift displays with 360 Hz. Dell did not provide an availability date, except mentioning that it will release later this year in the "Dark Side of the Moon" color scheme.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Technically, this is more a showcase of the scaler-tech. Also, IPS ghosting is always positive trace. It is never a negative image.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Marketing stunt for the gullible.

I've had a couple of previous 144Hz monitors, I've used a 240Hz monitor, and I'm currently using a 144Hz ULMB monitor.

Even at 'just' 144Hz, the problem isn't the refresh rate, it's the sample-and-hold blur; The only valid counter for that is ULMB and the necessary pixel response time required - something even TN panels routinely fail to deliver on with 'average' G2G response times of just 5-6ms, but some transitions up to 8ms. That means that you just see the previous frame in parts of the current frame and perfectly mimicking the sample-and-hold blur that ULMB is trying to counter.

At 200Hz, 240Hz, 360Hz, the exact same pixel response times will dominate the experience regardless of the refresh rate. Honestly, for high-refresh screens to work they need to have both ULMB and also worst-case pixel-response times faster than the refresh interval. If not 100%, at least for 90% of the desired transition.

TN is good enough for 120Hz, maybe 144Hz on the better models with aggressive overdrive tuning.
VA is good for 100Hz if, and only if, you get an AUO panel. Samsung panels may have higher contrast levels but the dark transitions are so bad that you cannot ignore them even if you try.
IPS is good for 100Hz, maybe 120Hz if you get one that manages overdrive well enough to keep all of the transitions under 10ms.

360Hz? It's OLED for real, or it's marketing BS with no hope of ever actually coming close to the expectations.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

I've had a couple of previous 144Hz monitors, I've used a 240Hz monitor, and I'm currently using a 144Hz ULMB monitor.

Even at 'just' 144Hz, the problem isn't the refresh rate, it's the sample-and-hold blur; The only valid counter for that is ULMB and the necessary pixel response time required - something even TN panels routinely fail to deliver on with 'average' G2G response times of just 5-6ms, but some transitions up to 8ms. That means that you just see the previous frame in parts of the current frame and perfectly mimicking the sample-and-hold blur that ULMB is trying to counter.

At 200Hz, 240Hz, 360Hz, the exact same pixel response times will dominate the experience regardless of the refresh rate. Honestly, for high-refresh screens to work they need to have both ULMB and also worst-case pixel-response times faster than the refresh interval. If not 100%, at least for 90% of the desired transition.

TN is good enough for 120Hz, maybe 144Hz on the better models with aggressive overdrive tuning.
VA is good for 100Hz if, and only if, you get an AUO panel. Samsung panels may have higher contrast levels but the dark transitions are so bad that you cannot ignore them even if you try.
IPS is good for 100Hz, maybe 120Hz if you get one that manages overdrive well enough to keep all of the transitions under 10ms.

360Hz? It's OLED for real, or it's marketing BS with no hope of ever actually coming close to the expectations.

this is great -- I wish we could sticky this post somewhere for more ppl to see it. It's like the processor MHz wars back in the day where it completely stopped mattering.

System Name Cougar Conquer Custom
Processor Intel i9-9900k@5 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
Cooling EKWB Custom Hardline
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 3080 (soon)
Storage 1 TB NVME, 500 GB NVME
Display(s) BenQ Zowie XL2746S
Case Cougar Conquer
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech GPW
Keyboard Fnatic Ministreak

You're so wrong it's not even funny. Go read up on Blurbusters before spouting bs.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
You're so wrong it's not even funny. Go read up on Blurbusters before spouting bs.
I've been following blurbusters since before it was called that, and have been impresssed in recent years by RTINGS too.

If you don't agree with my post perhaps offering a counter argument would be better than baseless accusations.

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 6c/12t
Motherboard MSI B350M Mortar
Cooling Cryorig C7
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8) 3000MHz [DDR4]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super 8G
Storage Western Digital 1TB 5200RPM HDD / Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD / Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD
Case Corsair Crystal 280X Black
Where's the 4K 144hz product to compete with Asus' Strix and Acer's Predator? Who needs a 360hz 1080p monitor? What waste of a product.

petr.valkoun

What? AW2521HF has raise/fall time of 3.3ms, total time 6.4ms. 1/0.006 = 166Hz, but cosidering the raise/fall time of 3.3ms, its 303Hz. But! Even if the actual respose is lower than the frequency, it still make sense to stop the pixel change in the middle and start the new image over. Still faster and the over all input lag will be lower. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw2521hf

Even if the actual respose is lower than the frequency, it still make sense to stop the pixel change in the middle and start the new image over.
It doesn't matter when the trace trail is positive ghosting, you cannot tell a difference.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
As a QLED HDR Samsung owner I actually miss my ASUS MG279Q IPS I thought the wonky 35-90 Freesync range on a 144hz panel was a hindrance but realistically Im playing most games in that range anyway and my VA panel has the worst backlight bleed it would probably make an average IPS look great in comparison. the ASUS just had the tiniest bit you had to be at the right angle t8 even notice it. The Samsung literally has 3 patches like marquee lights at the top and bottom with the top being the worst.

petr.valkoun

It doesn't matter when the trace trail is positive ghosting, you cannot tell a difference.
I do not understand. I cannot tell a difference, when the new picture is rendered sooner rather than later? That does not make much sense, does it? the sooner the new picture is rendered, the sooner I can see it.

I do not understand. I cannot tell a difference, when the new picture is rendered sooner rather than later? That does not make much sense, does it? the sooner the new picture is rendered, the sooner I can see it.
There is no downside to it rendering faster, unlike tn inverting the image.

It will be seamless eventhough it gets rastered faster, successfully overcoming the problem of introducing breaks into the motion picture.

petr.valkoun

There is no downside to it rendering faster, unlike tn inverting the image.

It will be seamless eventhough it gets rastered faster, successfully overcoming the problem of introducing breaks into the motion picture.
so we agreed that for IPS, it make sense to have higher refresh rate, or not?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
As a QLED HDR Samsung owner I actually miss my ASUS MG279Q IPS I thought the wonky 35-90 Freesync range on a 144hz panel was a hindrance but realistically Im playing most games in that range anyway and my VA panel has the worst backlight bleed it would probably make an average IPS look great in comparison. the ASUS just had the tiniest bit you had to be at the right angle t8 even notice it. The Samsung literally has 3 patches like marquee lights at the top and bottom with the top being the worst.
Curved VA?

I find that flat VA panels tend to have decent uniformity and minimal bleed, but curved panels (VA, IPS, TN) all suffer with backlight bleed and uniformity more.

My current panel is another curved one and there is more bleed than I'd like but it's unnoticeable unless looking at an all-black screen so I typically notice it during POST and then never again. I like the curve though so it's a compromise I've learned to deal with.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Curved VA?

I find that flat VA panels tend to have decent uniformity and minimal bleed, but curved panels (VA, IPS, TN) all suffer with backlight bleed and uniformity more.

My current panel is another curved one and there is more bleed than I'd like but it's unnoticeable unless looking at an all-black screen so I typically notice it during POST and then never again. I like the curve though so it's a compromise I've learned to deal with.
Yes it’s curved and yes it’s only on black screens I suspect it’s-the local dimming zones for HDR because sometimes a black loading screen is absolutely black Yeah as for the curve i accept it but I think it belongs in 32” it does very little on a 27”

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
What? AW2521HF has raise/fall time of 3.3ms, total time 6.4ms. 1/0.006 = 166Hz, but cosidering the raise/fall time of 3.3ms, its 303Hz. But! Even if the actual respose is lower than the frequency, it still make sense to stop the pixel change in the middle and start the new image over. Still faster and the over all input lag will be lower. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw2521hf
Okay, that is game changing. Obviously my comment was before I'd spotted that review. The fastest IPS on the market until now has been barely good enough for 125fps at average pixel response and 165Hz was really pushing the credibility of those claims given that some of the transitions were still in the 12ms+ range (so smearing all the way down to about 75Hz).

Whatever panel and overdrive circuit Dell are using is impressive, and even worse-case 3.9ms it's still fast enough for 240Hz provided you use fixed refresh rate.

With Freesync/G-Sync enabled, the overdrive circuit isn't coping and 15.7ms transitions are par for the course with IPS.

Holy sh*tballs though, that is an impressive panel at 360Hz!

Last edited: