• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung T7 Portable SSD is Now Available for Purchase

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Following the release of Samsung's T7 Touch portable SSD in January, the T7 is now available. Samsung T7 combines sleek, compact design with the fastest transfer speeds currently available based on the USB 3.2 Gen 2 standard. The business card-sized portable SSD can be slipped into nearly any pocket and holds up to 2 TB of data. Samsung T7 is the perfect everyday storage companion for those looking to save video and photo content from a variety of USB-compatible devices. The T7 saves time with incredibly fast transfer speeds, and gives users peace of mind with data security features.

The T7 offers a significant speed upgrade over previous storage solutions. With a read speed of 1,050 MB/s and a write speed of 1,000 MB/s, it is approximately twice as fast as its predecessor, the T5, and up to 9.5 times faster than external hard disk drives. Moreover, the device can reach its maximum speed when used with the NVMe interface. With these speeds, Samsung T7 can help improve daily workflow and save valuable time for digital creative professionals.

To ensure reliable connectivity with any compatible device, the drive comes with a USB Type-C-to-C cable and a USB Type-C-to-A cable, and is compatible with Windows, Mac and Android operating systems. Security is also included with password-protected AES 256-bit hardware data encryption.

The device features an upgrade from previous versions with a solid aluminium case that's shock resistant from drops up to 2 meters. The T7 also includes a three-year limited warranty.

Samsung's new T7 is available in three color options, including Metallic Red, Indigo Blue and Titan Grey. Available now at select retailers nationwide and Samsung.com starting at $109.99 for 500 GB, $199.99 for 1 TB, and $369.99 for 2 TB.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I will have to check that as I have the T5 here 2TB & I'm sure it has a "aluminium case" or made of metal.

Interesting...I have bought several (I am talking 5 or 6) of the Samsung 970 Evo and Evo Plus 1TB drives to stick into JMicron JMS583 bridge controller enclosures. I might have to give this one a try. It does use an ASMedia ASM2362 USB-to-PCIE 3.0x2 bridge controller and I'm sure the performance is similar to the JMicron based ones.

If the 2TB model is near the listed $369.99, then I think it's a fair deal considering that it is a Samsung branded external SSD. You can get better deals picking up another brand's NVME 2TB M.2 drive and sliding that into one of the many thousands of JMS583 based external enclosures... but, hey, it's Samsung (and for me, that means peace of mind).

Where is the 980 Pro Samsung ?

Information on it will be released in 2Q, so, we probably won't get any details until the very end of 2Q (June-ish). Anandtech has a preliminary article about it from back in January but info on controller, type of NAND, expected lifetime, warranty, etc is probably in a month or so.