• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox Series X to Support "Thousands of Games at Launch" Thanks to Backwards Compatibility

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Microsoft today announced that when it launches sometime in Holiday 2020, the Xbox Series X next-generation entertainment system will support "thousands of games" at launch. This is thanks to the console retaining compatibility with all older Xbox generation, not just the Xbox One, but also the Xbox 360 and the very fist Xbox. This is thanks to translation layers that let you play the older games on the latest hardware. In some cases, the Xbox Series X can add HDR, and turn up frame-rates to 120 FPS on some of the older games. The Xbox Series X will have several Microsoft Studios exclusives at launch, with the company reporting that all its 15 studios are busy developing exclusives. Several games launched in the past few years for the Xbox One X could receive content upgrades to the Xbox Series X to leverage its hardware.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
See, this is what sony needs to learn from. THIS is how you do backwards compatibility, not this " well mos tof the top 100 should work for the most part" non committal BS.

I bet on Microsoft this time around in this generation's console wars.

Even if PS5 got a better SSD to load graphics instantly the games from third party developers won't be better on the PS5.

They always use the lowest common denominator when hardware is so close in performance, they will develop for XBOX Series X and then just port it over to PS5.

Maybe some PS5 first party titles will use the enhanced features but it will not be enuf to beat Microsoft.

Microsoft have their own cloud infrastructure for gaming, Mixer streaming that will be heavily integrated with XBOX Series X and PC AND if you buy XBOX Series X game you will get the PC version free.

Also Sony is buying it's cloud infrastructure capacity for gaming from Microsoft, so Microsoft got a massive upper hand this time around.

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
See, this is what sony needs to learn from. THIS is how you do backwards compatibility, not this " well mos tof the top 100 should work for the most part" non committal BS.

Microsoft has decades of experience in backwards compatibility, Sony is relatively new in the game.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
Microsoft has decades of experience in backwards compatibility, Sony is relatively new in the game.
*Looks at the Ps2 with full backwards compatibility with the ps1, and the OG PS3 with full PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility*

*looks at the 360 which only offered backwards compatibility on a tiny selection of Xbox games*

*microsoft has decades of experience, sony is relatively new*

Oi captain, you sure about that? You could make the argument that MS has more experience thanks to windows, but that sure didnt help the 360 play OG Xbox games, and even Xbone compatibility is highly selective with the 360. MS has only used the VM-for-game-engines method since the Xbone came out, not even a decade ago.

Processor Intel Core i7-6700k - Stock, multi core boost enabled
Motherboard MSI Z170i Gaming Pro AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S + Arctic MX2 thermal paste, 2 case fans (front and rear).
Memory 2x8gb Kingston DDR4 2666mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce 1060 GTX Gaming X
Storage 120gb Samsung 830 EVO SSD, 240gb Samung 840 Evo SSD, 1tb Seagate HDD, 960gb Corsair Force MP510B
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp 1920x1080
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX SE
Power Supply SilverStone SST-ST85F-P
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard Steelseries 6Gv2 - Cherry MX Black edition
Software OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 multicore score: 2249. Cinebench R23 multicore score: 5149.
*Looks at the Ps2 with full backwards compatibility with the ps1, and the OG PS3 with full PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility*

*looks at the 360 which only offered backwards compatibility on a tiny selection of Xbox games*
Gonna have to correct you on that. The PS2 had full PS1 compatibility because it had the actual PS1 cpu inside. The launch PS3 models also had an actual PS2 SOC inside for backwards compatibility.
The Xbox 360 and Xbox One does not have this advantage and relies on emulation, wrappers, re-compilation, and hypervisor layers to mention the techniques they use.
With that said Sony eventually relied on the same methods as Microsoft for backwards compatibility because the consoles architectures between generations were so vastly different (and the PS2 SOC was quickly removed to save on costs). Things are different now though since we will now have two console generations sharing architecture.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Yes, the original PS3's had the chip used in the PS2 within and it used a form of software emulation to make it work with the PS3 system itself.

While it was backwards compatable it didn't actually work with all PS2 titles, I have at least one PS2 game that it doesn't work with and the list of PS2 games it works with is kinda short, shorter than you'd think TBH.

It also has a chip for PSX games too inside.
I can't say about the slim models but all the original fat models regardless have the PSX chip and I've yet to see or note any PSX games that will not work with it.

Speaking of the new Xbox, I'd not get hopes way up over it, therre may be some limitations on how backwards compatable it will be once released but you'd have to think it probrably won't be a problem period.
Time will tell once it's out.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Mouse *squeak*
Yes, the original PS3's had the chip used in the PS2 within and it used a form of software emulation to make it work with the PS3 system itself.

While it was backwards compatable it didn't actually work with all PS2 titles, I have at least one PS2 game that it doesn't work with and the list of PS2 games it works with is kinda short, shorter than you'd think TBH.

It also has a chip for PSX games too inside.
I can't say about the slim models but all the original fat models regardless have the PSX chip and I've yet to see or note any PSX games that will not work with it.

Speaking of the new Xbox, I'd not get hopes way up over it, therre may be some limitations on how backwards compatable it will be once released but you'd have to think it probrably won't be a problem period.
Time will tell once it's out.
the 60GB PS3 was 100% backwards compatible thanks to carrying a full PS2 inside, the software compatibility that was only about 70% compatible was used on the 80GB model.

The PSX controller was used for the blu-ray drive's controller, so all PS3s can play all PS1 games.

Gonna have to correct you on that. The PS2 had full PS1 compatibility because it had the actual PS1 cpu inside. The launch PS3 models also had an actual PS2 SOC inside for backwards compatibility.
The Xbox 360 and Xbox One does not have this advantage and relies on emulation, wrappers, re-compilation, and hypervisor layers to mention the techniques they use.
With that said Sony eventually relied on the same methods as Microsoft for backwards compatibility because the consoles architectures between generations were so vastly different (and the PS2 SOC was quickly removed to save on costs). Things are different now though since we will now have two console generations sharing architecture.
Well to correct me there you'd have to point to where I said the PS2/3 DIDNT use the old hardware (hint: I never said this). My point was that Sony is not new to backwards compatibility, they've been doing it for decades. They did it in a different manner then MS does it, but lets not pretend that Sony has never done backwards compatibility.

In previous consoles before PS4 and Xbox One, they use highly customized processors and GPUs. So jumping from one gen to another typically introduces difficulties or considerable effort to back port games. With the current gen consoles, that changed because if you look at it, these consoles are basically running x86 hardware, which I suspect will make back porting a lot easier. I may be wrong, but I will leave it to experts' advise.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
We PAL users didn't have PS2 hardware on our PS3 60GB; it was done via emulator. The real backwards compatibility was only NTSC users' treat. :(

Better just have both PS2 & PS3 on my shelf. :D

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
When I got a launch 360, I recall some original Xbox games were officially listed as BC, but they crashed pretty consistently on the 360. I can’t recall the titles anymore, but one was a game with ATVs in it. Get halfway into a race and it would lockup. With the PS3, Sony had full BC with the original console thanks to the PS2 Emotion Engine being included in the console. It made the PS3 more expensive, so Sony removed it and relied on emulation in later models. With XboxOne, BC was added over time, to the point that it just wasn’t much of a selling point. Many original sports games never received BC support, no doubt because EA didn’t want anyone enjoying old titles when a slightly improved version could be had for $60. I remember this because EA only ever made one PGA tour game for PS4/XboxOne, and it was pretty much garbage compared to the previous generation titles. You had to keep your old console around if you wanted to play at Augusta National, for example.

BC has really never been what I’d call ideal. PS5 and XSX keep the same CPU architecture, so this issue may finally be solved. However, are these new generation consoles really a new generation? I kinda get the impression they are more being marketed as premium variants of the current crop, and that PS5/XSX games will also play on PS4/XO consoles, just with lesser graphics.

Let’s not forget Nintendo here. I think they just want you to have a wall of consoles anymore.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Processor Intel i9 9900K @5Ghz 1.32vlts
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200Mhz (16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Storage 512GB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe (Boot) 1TB Crucial NVMe (Games)
Display(s) LG UK850 27in 4K Freesync/G-Sync/HDR 600
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Windowed (Dark Tint)
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS70 Special Edition Wireless Headphones & 7.1 Sound
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850w Gold
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite Mechanical RGB (Cherry Red)
Software Windows 10 Home

It's nothing to do with experience and everything to do with a company, Sony, that wants to strictly control its past IP's and licensing deals with publishers.

..every backwards compatible game is an opportunity for lost revenue in 'remaster' sales. Nintendo is the same, its a 'Japanese' thing.

I hope game developers take advantage of the extra power and add 4k textures to older games and ray tracing too. Looks like I'm gonna get me an xbox this Christmas and play with the family Christmas morning.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
This isn‘t just a Japanese thing—Halo CE has been reworked and resold how many times now? All of these companies will milk their most popular franchises if the opportunity to make money is there. If people pay, why wouldn’t they?

I think the best you can hope for on BC is just a stable experience. Most studios aren’t interested in going back to rework old titles, unless they still have a way to make more money on them. It’s just how businesses are run, and I can’t think of many studios that go back and spend developer time on a game that has essentially run its course. I can see them doing a “remastered edition” of classic games, for those that wish to see the classics with advanced visuals, but they will want you to pay again. Hopefully MS and Sony built something into their API where this can be automatic with generational hardware bumps. Even if it’s just as simple as upscaling or higher FPS. Hoping studios will revisit legacy titles is a long shot, IMO.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
See Sony, this is how you do marketing for your next gen console. Keeping your mouth shut just doesn't work.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

Sony and MS have been oscillating like this forever, PS2 was more successful than Xbox, 360 was more successful than PS3 and then PS4 was again more successful than Xbox One. Call it a conspiracy theory but this doesn't seem like a coincidence.

ARF

Even if PS5 got a better SSD to load graphics instantly the games from third party developers won't be better on the PS5.

They always use the lowest common denominator when hardware is so close in performance, they will develop for XBOX Series X and then just port it over to PS5.

Maybe some PS5 first party titles will use the enhanced features but it will not be enuf to beat Microsoft.

Microsoft have their own cloud infrastructure for gaming, Mixer streaming that will be heavily integrated with XBOX Series X and PC AND if you buy XBOX Series X game you will get the PC version free.

Also Sony is buying it's cloud infrastructure capacity for gaming from Microsoft, so Microsoft got a massive upper hand this time around.

Hello Unreal Engine 5. It is designed to perform best on PS5.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It is designed to perform best on PS5.

Not really, you can't design an engine for a specific platform. At least not these days with hardware that is more or less the same in terms of capabilities.

ARF

Not really, you can't design an engine for a specific platform. At least not these days with hardware that is more or less the same in terms of capabilities.

You can. You can't run in the same way engines for PC/console on a smartphone.
The difference will be like standard quality on PS5, next but lower will be ultra-high on something like Navi 21 and Ryzen 9 3950X, and next will be medium on something like Navi 23 and Ryzen 5 3600X.

Epic promises Unreal Engine 5 will have similar capabilities on both the PS5 and the next Xbox, but the demo video runs on a PS5, which immediately makes me wonder whether Epic thinks PS5 is the best hardware. Epic's Tim Sweeney won't make any direct performance comparisons, but during a conversation on Zoom he says that Unreal Engine 5 takes advantage of next-gen SSD storage speeds. "[Unreal Engine] Five now is optimizing for next-generation storage to make loading faster by multiples of current performance.

Not just a little bit faster, but a lot faster, so that you can bring in this geometry and display it despite it not all fitting in memory, taking advantage of next generation SSD architectures and everything else. Sony's pioneering that with the PlayStation 5 architecture. It's got a god-tier storage system, which is pretty far ahead of PCs."

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
You can't run in the same way engines for PC/console on a smartphone.

Of course you can, you just lower the resolution for shadow maps, reduce particle emissions and resolutions, etc. Tell me how you write an optimized shader for PS5 and how it would be different for Xbox when the GPU hardware is of the same make.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

This is what losers do, open up the floodgates of content we've already seen.

Sony doesn't need to do this, they just give us new content. In spades. Every gen. Not that I disagree backwards compatibility should be a thing for them too, but let's not forget the market reality here. You get nice things because they need you to pony up something with dollar signs on it.

ARF

Of course you can, you just lower the resolution for shadow maps, reduce particle emissions and resolutions, etc. Tell me how you write an optimized shader for PS5 and how it would be different for Xbox when the GPU hardware is of the same make.

It is because all platforms use the same basic graphics IP, it's just unified across the platforms for easier migration.
But that doesn't mean other platforms on completely different CPU and graphics IP can't and don't exist.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Hello Unreal Engine 5. It is designed to perform best on PS5.
and why exactly would that occur ? dx12 ultimate not suited for rdna 2 somehow ?

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It is because all platforms use the same basic graphics IP, it's just unified across the platforms for easier migration.
But that doesn't mean other platforms on completely different CPU and graphics IP can't and don't exist.

The "completely different" CPU and GPU might vary in the number of cores/CUs , cache/memory and clocks but the architectures don't vary that much to the point where you'd have to change the code for optimization purposes. All GPUs share the same sort of wavefront architecture, the CPUs have support for the same kind of SIMD, etc.