• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Jim Keller Resigns from Intel

Sandforce used to do this on their controllers IIRC.

Suffice to say it isn't needed for most consumers, not in the least because file compression is often times limited by the compression algorithm you're using & isn't a one stop shop or solution to every file you throw at it!

System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
I have just said that I observe higher speeds and you say it's untrue?

These are just speeds around the saturation of the SATA3 bus (which is by the way 600 MB/s, if you don't know) and no where it's written under what exactly circumstances and conditions a user would observe them.
Then I buy a Ryzen 4c/8t, maybe that will automatically become an 8c/16t ....

Technically, not true. 1065G7 has ~10% higher IPC than 3900x. Case re-opened and closed.
Uhmm the facts say`s no.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
ARF, just FYI, attempting to find any understanding with regard to Microsoft Window's update process may be a fruitless endeavor. And it doesn't have anything to do with your CPU being x86.

Do you have a good link where Ice Lake and Zen2 is compared apples-to-apples?
He doesn't but he's stating stuff he doesn't know about...
Look here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14664/testing-intel-ice-lake-10nm/4
Last table you see IPC in INT/FP of Ice Lake is better than 3900X which is a best case scenario for Zen 2. Renoir will have lower IPC than 3900x because of smaller cache.
The fact that Intel has sh*t process in the 10nm and it doesn't allow them to make a good product out of Ice Lake for desktop it doesn't mean suddenly they lost their technical advantage or that Zen 2 is some miracle uArch that the world has never ever seen.
Zen 2 is a good uArch which is put in a very good light thanks to TSMC 7nm. If it were to be fabricated on 12nm, AMD couldn't fit this amount of cache and even if they could the power consumption would have been much worse. Ice Lake is the other way around. It inherits all the advantages of Skylake uArch (which btw is still decent even if fabbed on 14nm and you can check the power/performance number for the latest 10th gen parts here on techpowerup, you'll see that 10700/10500/10300 are pretty similar to what 3700x/3600/3300x achieve in efficiency and absolute performance) that is low latency between cores, low latency to memory but it is held on by the bad 10nm process.
I don't want to detract anything from AMD merits, because they do have the chiplet implementation and in general a very good/smart implementation all around. But I don't like this stupid, clueless hate speech towards Intel products only because they stalled progress, they sell old parts at higher prices than AMD or whatever.
We should discuss technicalities in an objective manner and analyze each product without bias. If you will look on what I said about 10700/10500/10300 you'll see it is true. They do keep up with latest AMD parts in power and performance. Worse pricing, but technically they are similar which is something given they are basically respinned 5 year old parts. I bet you that AMD couldn't do that with their Buldozer parts, push them and still compete.
You will also see that the table from anandtech shows clearly that Ice Lake with its Sunny Cove core is indeed better than Zen 2 all around. If you leave the hate behind for a second and just analyze you'll see the reality. But it is getting harder and harder these days for people to be objective and it is all just a childish fanboy talk with 0 knowledge about actual facts.

Last edited:
System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
@yeeeeman
An apple vs orange benchmark, as Anandtech itself indicates. Maybe read your own links. ;)

i rest my case.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
The "up to" is wrong. It goes up to all the way up to 1.1 - 1.2 GB/s copying and pasting in the same folder.
For one SSD? What are you running that on? Surely not a SATA port as you have the fastest SSD I have ever heard of.

He doesn't but he's stating stuff he doesn't know about...
Look here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14664/testing-intel-ice-lake-10nm/4
Last table you see IPC in INT/FP of Ice Lake is better than 3900X which is a best case scenario for Zen 2. Renoir will have lower IPC than 3900x because of smaller cache.
The fact that Intel has sh*t process in the 10nm and it doesn't allow them to make a good product out of Ice Lake for desktop it doesn't mean suddenly they lost their technical advantage or that Zen 2 is some miracle uArch that the world has never ever seen.
Zen 2 is a good uArch which is put in a very good light thanks to TSMC 7nm. If it were to be fabricated on 12nm, AMD couldn't fit this amount of cache and even if they could the power consumption would have been much worse. Ice Lake is the other way around. It inherits all the advantages of Skylake uArch (which btw is still decent even if fabbed on 14nm and you can check the power/performance number for the latest 10th gen parts here on techpowerup, you'll see that 10700/10500/10300 are pretty similar to what 3700x/3600/3300x achieve in efficiency and absolute performance) that is low latency between cores, low latency to memory but it is held on by the bad 10nm process.
I don't want to detract anything from AMD merits, because they do have the chiplet implementation and in general a very good/smart implementation all around. But I don't like this stupid, clueless hate speech towards Intel products only because they stalled progress, they sell old parts at higher prices than AMD or whatever.
We should discuss technicalities in an objective manner and analyze each product without bias. If you will look on what I said about 10700/10500/10300 you'll see it is true. They do keep up with latest AMD parts in power and performance. Worse pricing, but technically they are similar which is something given they are basically respinned 5 year old parts. I bet you that AMD couldn't do that with their Buldozer parts, push them and still compete.
You will also see that the table from anandtech shows clearly that Ice Lake with its Sunny Cove core is indeed better than Zen 2 all around. If you leave the hate behind for a second and just analyze you'll see the reality. But it is getting harder and harder these days for people to be objective and it is all just a childish fanboy talk with 0 knowledge about actual facts.
Except for power draw or anything other than Gaming. Regardless of how you may want to put it there is no objective reason for a PC Enthusiast to buy into Intel at the moment. As we have no idea what Intel is really working on we may get a nice new series of chips between 2021-2023. The thing is though if you think AMD will remain stagnant in that same time frame you have been living under a rock. I believe even more now the the XT CPUs are just red herrings and this fall will have a chip that Intel will have no response to (for now).

@yeeeeman
An apple vs orange benchmark, as Anandtech itself indicates. Maybe read your own links. ;)

i rest my case.
Whatever, I won't translate the information for you to understand. Believe what you want.

For one SSD? What are you running that on? Surely not a SATA port as you have the fastest SSD I have ever heard of.

Except for power draw or anything other than Gaming. Regardless of how you may want to put it there is no objective reason for a PC Enthusiast to buy into Intel at the moment. As we have no idea what Intel is really working on we may get a nice new series of chips between 2021-2023. The thing is though if you think AMD will remain stagnant in that same time frame you have been living under a rock. I believe even more now the the XT CPUs are just red herrings and this fall will have a chip that Intel will have no response to (for now).
What I say and what you understand.....
I said everything from a TECHNICALLY point of view, not from a price point of view.
I actually said a few times that Intel is not worth it because of higher prices but whatever.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Whatever, I won't translate the information for you to understand. Believe what you want.

What I say and what you understand.....
I said everything from a TECHNICALLY point of view, not from a price point of view.
I actually said a few times that Intel is not worth it because of higher prices but whatever.
Ok but you made the statement that if AMD had used 12nm they would not have had the ability to use that much cache (as if AMD didn't know) and you reference a site that has already been guilty of publishing false information. I am not saying that Intel is bad but they are not as good right now but let's keep in mind that their CEO just stated last week that "benchmarks don't matter".

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
If this years Ryzen releases have anything to say about it, no.

Mesh honestly works fine, it's just that it has higher latency, kinda like Ryzen chips. That's not the end all but it does hurt their "best gaming" claims because well, Ryzen already has them beat on every other front.

I used hot mess specifically cause mesh uses a whole lot of power.
Also it's not uniform dram latency access, nor is it uniform very uniform latency core to core, it has all of the disadvantages of zen and none of the advantages.
On zen you can atleast tell a process to stick to a ccx first and foremost, on skylake you're going in blind, far or near to dram (Controllers) as they are also multiple.
It also contributes to the crazy high power consumption, if you want it fast and not bottlenecking skylake cores it's chugging power.

Atleast it's more scalable than ringbus and can maybe be fixed and won't say it cannot work, just that current singular implementation isn't looking good.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I used hot mess specifically cause mesh uses a whole lot of power.

I'm not sure you can blame the interconnect for the power part. That would I think, fall to the cores. But unsure.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
You know what, get a better SSD. How about the upcoming true gen4 980 pro from Sammy?
I'd like to know wtf is going on with his PC. I did that update on my office PC with a 5400rpm WD green and it didn't take that long

Juan Kerr

Quote: "Keller describes Intel's next big CPU core as being "significantly bigger" than "Sunny Cove," with its 800-wide instruction window, and "massive" data- and branch-predictors, to put Intel back on a linear performance growth trajectory between generations. Keller also commented on this being a "mindset change" at Intel, which over the past decade, only delivered minor IPC increments between generations, and focused on other areas, such as efficiency"

Mindset change? Good luck with that one. Pshhht. When your poop don't stink to begin with, there's no reason to believe that changing anything you do will result in anything positive. The cafeteria 1:1's in Oregon are testament to that.

His tenure was doomed from the get-go. My guess is he was in it for the almighty dollar, but when even that wasn't enough to keep him there, he left--- and assuming something else was going on in his personal life, why stay?

Last edited: