• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Brings THX Spatial Audio to Every PC Gamer on the Planet

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Razer, the leading global lifestyle brand for gamers, today announced the release of the Razer THX Spatial Audio App for Windows 10. Featuring advanced 7.1 surround sound with adjustable virtual speakers for superior positional accuracy, the Razer THX Spatial Audio App enhances gameplay and is available for use with all headphones and earbuds. Now, every gamer can upgrade to the very best spatial audio experience, using their existing 3.5mm, Bluetooth or USB headphones.

"Together with THX, we have developed an immersive audio solution that addresses the core gamers' needs - dynamic and accurate positional audio," said Alvin Cheung, senior vice president of Razer's peripherals business unit. "We've achieved this by drawing on THX's cinematic audio expertise, then adding a wide range of customization tools, to fine tune and personalize the listener's soundscape."

"THX is pleased to work with Razer to offer our THX Spatial Audio technology to enhance the gaming experience," said Jason Fiber, senior vice president and general manager of THX Ltd. mobile technologies. "It also provides for more true-to-life sound when enjoying music and movies."

Accurate Positional Sound for the Best in Gaming Audio
THX Spatial Audio delivers one of the most authentic positional audio experiences, even from stereo sources, thanks to THX's advanced rendering engine. Traditionally, surround sound systems require a multi-speaker audio source, but THX's rendering engine is capable of producing a wider, positionally accurate soundscape from just two channels. Whether working with stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 sources, the output from THX's engine, combined with the unique virtual speaker system, results in a more instinctively natural three-dimensional sound field, bringing games to life.

As any gamer will agree, locating opponents is often the difference between winning and losing. With the Razer THX Spatial Audio App, being able to pinpoint the location of threats solely based on their noise gives players an advantage over the competition. And this level of accuracy also reduces fatigue - no longer needing to strain to hear their opponents, gamers can play better, for longer.

Full Customization for a Personalized Surround Sound Experience
As THX knows from its years of experience in modelling 3D sound, everyone hears sounds differently and has their own preference for audio; volume, frequency and direction are unique to each individual. To deliver the most complete hearing experience, the Razer THX Spatial Audio App has a feature-rich suite of customization options, including speaker positioning, volume, and distance, to allow each user to tune the app precisely for their individual hearing preferences.

Users can further customize their audio for any game or media application to replicate the way creators intended for their content to be heard. Using the Equalizer section of the Razer THX Spatial Audio App, users can select from a range of THX Tuned Presets or modify, create, and store their own EQ settings for a personalized, rich listening experience. When a user wants to game, the THX positional audio engine provides accurate sound cues for the win, and when it's time for some music, a quick switch of profiles in the Razer THX Spatial Audio App delivers room filling, immersive sound for a 'so good it felt like being there' experience.

Maximum Compatibility
The Razer THX Spatial Audio App for Windows 10 has been designed to work with all types and brands of headphones and earbuds, bringing the THX Spatial Audio experience to as many users as possible. Compatible with analogue 3.5 mm headsets, USB and Bluetooth headphones, anyone can now upgrade their virtual 5.1, 7.1 or stereo audio experience with the Razer THX Spatial Audio App.

The Razer THX Spatial Audio App will also include an accompanying widget accessible via the Windows Game Bar for Windows 10 (Win + G) shortly after release, allowing for quick access to core features such as switching EQ profiles on the fly.

About the Razer THX Spatial Audio App
  • Superior Positional Accuracy from all sources: With sound that goes beyond 7.1 for more precise positional localization
  • THX tuned: Creating a lifelike, realistic cinematic-quality sound stage
  • Surround Sound Calibration: Providing the most accurate positional audio, based upon on personalized hearing preferences
  • EQ Customization and THX Pre-sets: Whether the listener prefers deeper bass or more clarity, the app can be balanced with mid, high and low frequencies
  • 5 mm, Bluetooth and USB Compatible
Pricing and Availability
  • $9.99 USD / 12.49€ on upgrade from 7.1 Surround
  • $19.99 USD / 24.99€ standard purchase
For more information, visit this page.

Complete Slide Deck

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
I saw THX in the title and started having flashbacks to when I was little and everytime we watched a movie, the THX thing would come on and my dad would crank up the volume LOL :roll:

Who else here could actually hear the THX "theme" in this article? :D

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I saw THX in the title and started having flashbacks to when I was little and everytime we watched a movie, the THX thing would come on and my dad would crank up the volume LOL :roll:

Who else here could actually hear the THX "theme" in this article? :D

Yup...

I find it funny how it says in the article:

"THX is pleased to work with Razer to offer our THX Spatial Audio technology to enhance the gaming experience," said Jason Fiber, senior vice president and general manager of THX Ltd. mobile technologies. "It also provides for more true-to-life sound when enjoying music and movies."

Razer owns THX so you cannot just say nope we aren't going to work with you.

Installed & ran the demo clip, sounded like 1150khz ukrainian budget call center headphones quality except the classic thx sound snippet which was good. worst audio I have ever heard & im including corner loaded bass nightmares, like with razers soundbar. they should stick to mouse mats & mice.

System Name barely hangin on...
Processor Intel I5 4670K @stock
Motherboard Asus H81m-cs (nothing else available now)
Cooling CM Hyper 212X (in push-pull)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580 4GB Dual
Storage WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG241QP 144Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K>Boom 3D>ATH M50/Samson SR850/HD599SE
Power Supply Corsair RM 850
Mouse Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Software 7-64bit MBR, 10-64bit UEFI (Not Multi-boot), VBox guests...
I have so far tried pretty much every "virtual surround" software for headphones, and as an addict of competitive online shooters I have been utterly disappointed. They may have some appeal for offline gamers playing some Tomb Raider stuff though.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Razer owns THX so you cannot just say nope we aren't going to work with you.

Wait...what? Razor owns THX now? I thought that was a Skywalker Sound company? Though I'll be honest, I don't really keep up with that sort of thing. I just remember it being something George Lucas created.

Abomlol

So Razor can glean all your PCs devices, what you play, and how you play it to improve market research in real time! Wow! Amazing tech!