• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclock Intel I7 6700K

Processor I7 6700K @4.6GHz
Cooling Liquid
Memory 16GB DDR4
Display(s) 27" LCD 2K 144Hz
Audio Device(s) G6
Software W10 Pro 64BIT
I'm trying to overclock this Intel I7 6700K CPU on an MSI Z170A Krait Gaming X3 motherboard, with 16 GB DDR4, proceeding in this way.

I am increasing the cpu ratio and the vcore, leaving the RAM below the original frequency to exclude them from the test result (after I do a final test by setting the XMP profile).

The only thing I would try more is the deactivation of the settings that make dynamic frequency and voltage and the energy saving settings (but it is only a test, because in the final test I will have to activate them as they interest me).

I would like to ask you these questions:

1. Which Stress Test do you recommend to use to test the stability for the overuse in dailyuse of this CPU?

2. In addition to the CPU Ratio and Vcore, can you change other settings to try to overcome instability during the stress test? (for example the other voltages all n cars, or other bios settings)

es. If at 100x46@1.32v it is stable and at 100x47@1.32v it is unstable, can I just try to increase the vcore?

3. In the event of instability, can increasing BCLK and decreasing CPU multiplier help, get worse, or is it the same?

4. Core Override CPU okay as a vcore mode?

5. Does the Ring Frequency leave it in default which is around 4100 or decreasing it can affect the stability?

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
1. AIDA64 default stress test... everyone else will say something different, but this one works well for me and my PC uses.
2. Depends on what you changed.......but if you are focusing on the CPU, then yes, vCore would help in most cases. Depends on the error and other factors.
3. It should be the same. With an unlocked CPU, there is almost no reason to mess with BCLK in the first place.
4. Yes. This is just a personal preference. Some go fixed and find out what voltage is needed, then goes to adaptive/offset. Your choice.
5. I'd leave it as there is little to gain with it... yes it would affect stability.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Earthdog hit all of the nails on the head.

The only thing to add is that with my 6700k 4.5GHz was a sweet spot. Took much less voltage to be stable than 4.6GHz. While all CPUs are different, it may be worth a try. IIRC I only needed 1.25v where I needed over 1.30v for 4.6 like you report.