• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox Head Phil Spencer Is Confident in Xbox Series X Virtues Against PS5

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Phil Spencer, head of Xbox at Microsoft, said in an interview that he is confident in the Xbox Series X's hardware advantages against Sony's PS5. After witnessing PS5's reveal, Phil said that he "felt good after seeing their show. I think the hardware advantages that we have built are going to show up as we're talking more about our games and frame rates and other things." Being a good sport as he usually is, Phil Spencer also said that he felt Sony had done a good job with their PS5 announcement.

Of course, Xbox Series X's hardware advantage over PS5 is a hotly debated topic already, so there is not much to see there. However, some might say that Sony's show was much more impressive than Xbox's when it comes to the - well - platform-defining metric - games. PS5 showed some very interesting exclusives during its show, and Sony knows that this a field where they have an historic advantage against Xbox - generally speaking, Sony's exclusives are usually held in a much higher regard that Microsoft's.

Microsoft has, however, invested heavily into its Microsoft Game Studios group in the last few years, shoring up their weak spot against Sony. But exclusives do sell platforms - that's just the way the world works - and the fact that Microsoft is planning on launching their Xbox games on PC as well means that many PC gamers won't be looking to buy Microsoft's hardware - they can just buy the game to play on their PC. Sony, however, keeps that exclusivity badge, and that might lead us towards a position where PC gamers own more PC+PS5 combos than PC+Xbox.

Microsoft is looking to turn the tables on Sony's console exclusivity with its platform-exclusive titles across Xbox and PC, and will be hosting a July event that's dedicated exclusively to its - ahem - exclusives, including the next installment on Senua's Saga: Hellblade II and the Xbox posterchild (and, Microsoft hopes, Xbox Series X killer game) Halo Infinite.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
What else could he say? "Xbox is shit, buy PS"?

System Name Cast Lead™
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX H270F GAMING
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
Storage Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm
Display(s) LG 24MP59G
Case Green Z4
Audio Device(s) Realtek High Definition Audio
Power Supply Green 650 UK Gold
Software Windows 10™ Pro 64 bit

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
At least that would be truthful.
Based on?
Right now we really don't know enough to claim either which way.
Yes, Sony might've announced games that appeals to a certain crowd, but personally I only saw one or two that looked interesting and they're apparently coming to PC anyhow so...

Personally I can't stand playing most games with controllers. I think the only modern console games I ever got into was the Fable series and I only played those because my SO got them for free, as she worked at Microsoft at the time a couple of them came out.

I am LOVING PC Gaming.

I've been playing Counter Strike GO, DCS World and Mortal Kombat 11 - but most of the times I'm just playing on CHESS.com.

There is NOTHING I see on PS5 or Xbox Scarlett - short of an exclusive - that could make me downgrade.

I ordered a Samsung 8TB SSD from Amazon BTW.

Attachments

• DCS WORLD share photo.jpg
    DCS WORLD share photo.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 156
Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
I can see the XBX definitely running colder. Which could allow it to clock higher.

D

Deleted member 67555

Based on?
Yes, Sony might've announced games that appeals to a certain crowd, but personally I only saw one or two that looked interesting and they're apparently coming to PC anyhow so...

Personally I can't stand playing most games with controllers. I think the only modern console games I ever got into was the Fable series and I only played those because my SO got them for free, as she worked at Microsoft at the time a couple of them came out.
I like them for Assassin's Creed type games, Fighter and Racing games.
I prefer the Playstation controller for fighting games.
I prefer the Xbox controller for racing and 3rd person games.

I prefer the Xbox
My wife prefers the Playstation.
However, the lack of generational gaming pissed her off enough to say F-U Sony
Pretty sure we're getting the Xbox xs

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
However, the lack of generational gaming pissed her off enough to say F-U Sony
Pretty sure we're getting the Xbox xs
What does that even mean?

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Hero (soon to be replaced by Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master)
Cooling 360mm Be Quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood; is currently Razer Basilisk V3; Basilisk Ultimate for gaming
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently HyperX Alloy Origins 65
Based on?

That's OK. I think it just comes down to personal preference/what you're most used to. I do most of my PC gaming with a controller (I can hear the "hardcore" PC gamers whipping out teh pitchforks...) because it's what I'm most used to. I think the only PC games I use only a mouse for is The Sims 4 (before that it was Sims 3, then Sims 2) and this tabletop games simulator (chess, Monopoly, checkers, etc.) I like to play with my friend in Denmark. Everything else though, I use a controller for.

Eh, MS doesn't build good games anymore IMHO, their MCC was a whack since the start and still bug ridden a shame they couldn't get the best game they did. They killed their own IP with agenda drivel in Halo 5, and now their Gears 5 is a nail in the coffin for the Gears of War, with all agenda (flags are important right ?) and game being nothing impactful, it lacks testosterone as pointed out by a commenter in the below video.

Then you have this GaaS, at this point I'm reiterating, that Xbox Game Pass is UWP which is 100% worse DRM than anything, even worse than GFWL. No mods, no offline play, nothing. You own nothing. And they put GoWU, GoW4 on it along with Forza. They do not care about their own franchises, it's a shame.

Sony on the other hand is built on exclusives but PS4 generation was worst, nothing fun and worth. Killzone Shadowfall looks great but game was garbage, God of War is a horrible game in the series, just play PSP games on PPSSPP Emulator and see which one has better combat, better story and forget that Kratos in 2018 reboot who is re written with current agenda standards, if we talk God of War on PS2 and PS3 it becomes even more appalling on what they did to that franchise. Watch the below video with similar comparison like the above.

Sony PS5 demo event's star - Horizon is an overhyped title just like that 2018 God of War. Men are bad and all mary sue bs in that game.
Both are trash in my eyes, old era of PS3 was good. Now mostly SP gaming is on back seat, replaced by GaaS + BR games for mainstream or that woke agenda a few masterpieces come rarely, like DOOM Eternal, Metro Exodus by a few passionate game studios like diamond in the dust.

Last edited:
System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
Console price, maybe.But game, not so much :D

D

Deleted member 185088

This generation of consoles has been pretty disappointing, the hardware was awful and when it comes to games, we got one Halo, two GoW that were pretty but nothing else, Forza changed too much (our eyes hurt front seeing SUVs outside no need to waste time modelling them), the PS4 didn't have any interesting game worse they didn't release a proper GT.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was reading today that there will be an increase in the price of games for these new consoles. Most games aren't worth $59.99 but now we will have to spend $69.99 on games? I guess it had to happen but I never saw a break in cost for digital games from these console makers. They had to have saved a load of money selling digital versions of these games. Anyways, it is what it is I suppose. My biggest beef with a price hike is that they will up the price but still put lots of content behind a paywall via DLC and microtransactions. I mean yeah we pay full price $60 or get a game on sale but then the DLC content will cost money, and they make earning in-game items painful but offer microtransactions for people that can't wait. I mean they make a LOAD of extra money after the sale as it is. Now they will do the same but the buy-in will be $70.

Over the years I have watched as games released offering less and less for the initial entry cost. We pay the same but get less. We can buy the rest of these games via DLC's and such. Back in the day when I bought a game, it was complete. And sometimes an expansion would release offering more content and the price was fair and you got your money's worth. Not anymore, not for a long time now. There are exceptions of course but too few.

Last edited: