• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kioxia Plans for Wafer-Level SSD

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Wafer-scale design is getting popular it seems. Starting from the wafer-scale engine presented by Cerebras last year, which caused quite the shakeup in the industry, it seems that this design approach might be more useful than anyone thought. During VLSI Symposium 2020, Shigeo Oshima, Chief Engineer at Kioxia, had a presentation about new developments in SSD designs and implementations. What was one of the highlights of the presentation was the information that Kioxia is working on, was a technology Kioxia is referring to as wafer-level SSD.

The NAND chips used in SSDs would no longer be cut from the wafer and packaged separately. Instead, the wafer itself would represent the SSD. This is a similar approach Cerebras used with its wafer-scale engine AI processor. What would be gains of this approach compared to traditional methods of cutting up NAND chips and packaging them separately you might wonder? Well, for starters you wouldn't need to cut the wafer, package individual memory chips, and build the SSD out of them. Those steps could be skipped and there would be some cost savings present. And imagine if you decide to do wafer stacking. You could build super scaling SSDs with immense performance capable of millions of IOPS. However, for now, this is only a concept and it is just in early development. There is no possibility to find it in a final product anytime soon.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
So, if this comes to fruition*, do we start calling them Waffles or what?
"Hey Joe, did you fed the waffle to the server yet?"
"Nah, he's already full!"

*(not considering what solution they are going to come-up with to deliver for the controller, power delivery, power backup, bus/connectors and other regular stuff hot-swap storage solutions have had since the start)

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
That diagram is a bit disingenious. I mean, the big arrow implies that you just insert a round silicon wafer directly into a computer, which is obviously stupid and wrong. No motherboards exist that can accept raw wafers!

What I presume is happening is that a single die now represents the controller, the DRAM cache, and the voltage step-down circuitry, but it still needs to be packaged into a form-factor that can be plugged into a motherboard.

System Name 06/2023
Processor R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Custom 240mm cooling (for CPU) with noctua nfa12x25 and Phantek T30
Memory 32gb Gskill 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 dual asus deshrouded with 120mm NF-A12x25
Storage 2tb samsung 990 pro + 4tb samsung 870 evo
Display(s) Asus 27" Oled PG27AQDM + Asus 27" IPS PG279QM
Case Ncase M1 v6.1
Audio Device(s) Steelseries arctis pro wireless + Shure SM7b with Steinberg UR
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair scimitar pro (this mouse need an overall guys pls) + Logitech G Pro wireless with powerplay
Keyboard Sharkoon purewriter
Software windows 11
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 !
That diagram is a bit disingenious. I mean, the big arrow implies that you just insert a round silicon wafer directly into a computer, which is obviously stupid and wrong. No motherboards exist that can accept raw wafers!

What I presume is happening is that a single die now represents the controller, the DRAM cache, and the voltage step-down circuitry, but it still needs to be packaged into a form-factor that can be plugged into a motherboard.

Or maybe there is a reason why that department is no longer Toshiba...

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I'm a big storage nerd, so this story has be wondering a lot of things.... How would such an "SSD" interface with a computer? Would it use already existent protocol (e.g. NVMe? Perhaps over a PCIe 4.0/5.0/6.0x16) or would they develop a proprietary protocol? Would it interface with off the shelf x86 CPUs or would the build some standalone box with an FPGA or some customer Arm chip in it to act as a controller on steroids?

They should just glue it to Cerebras's wafer and just make it a gigantic L4 cache, haha

I'm a big storage nerd, so this story has be wondering a lot of things.... How would such an "SSD" interface with a computer? Would it use already existent protocol (e.g. NVMe? Perhaps over a PCIe 4.0/5.0/6.0x16) or would they develop a proprietary protocol? Would it interface with off the shelf x86 CPUs or would the build some standalone box with an FPGA or some customer Arm chip in it to act as a controller on steroids?

They should just glue it to Cerebras's wafer and just make it a gigantic L4 cache, haha

From what I've understood the idea is to not split the SSD into separate pieces (for typical M.2: 1-4x NAND packages, 1x controller, 1-2x RAM) and do it in either one big package or with separate RAM. The interface for the host would not change since that would be counter-productive at least for the consumer market. For more professional implementations there's already existing protocols for that like Linux MTD NAND.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650

No , they literally want to put whole wafers into server racks. To interface to the wafer they talk about „super multi-probing technology“, like a giant, ultra dense LGA socket which would be similar to current wafer test equipment and deliver a ton of IO and bandwidth.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
No , they literally want to put whole wafers into server racks. To interface to the wafer they talk about „super multi-probing technology“, like a giant, ultra dense LGA socket which would be similar to current wafer test equipment and deliver a ton of IO and bandwidth.
Yeah, that socket is going to be insane if they ever make it. The precision required is equally insane - that's why things are packaged to BGA/LGA at the moment. Chances are good that the "socket" for each wafer is going to be the single most expensive item in the entire server!

Possibly they'll do this for one-off high-budget supercomputers but I can't see this becoming a commodity item for a while.

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S

what they gon do about the parts of the wafer that are not good, or just not work properly, i mean its public knowledge that wafers are not perfect, thats why they have to be tested, the best parts go to higher performance chips and the worst ones become lowtier products. they're assuming perfect wafer production?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
what they gon do about the parts of the wafer that are not good, or just not work properly, i mean its public knowledge that wafers are not perfect, thats why they have to be tested, the best parts go to higher performance chips and the worst ones become lowtier products. they're assuming perfect wafer production?
Even the best grade NAND is riddled with flaws. That's just the way it is. SSD controllers just work around the problems.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Call it a bad sector and go about its day.

Yeah, that socket is going to be insane if they ever make it. The precision required is equally insane - that's why things are packaged to BGA/LGA at the moment. Chances are good that the "socket" for each wafer is going to be the single most expensive item in the entire server!

Possibly they'll do this for one-off high-budget supercomputers but I can't see this becoming a commodity item for a while.
I'd bet good money that the drive would be able to spin it to get it to align properly.

So like we're going to be seeing CD-ROM wafer bay SSD's...everything old is new again...

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S
Call it a bad sector and go about its day.

i see, so they'll probab assume that only a percentage of the wafer will be usable, a controller will do the job of identifying and managing the storage, still too janky IMO. I know they will have QC and it will be tested, but it looks like a solution in search of a problem, not the other way arround.

System Name Bongfjaes
Processor AMD 3700x
Motherboard Assus Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MT/s CL14
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB + Lots of spinning rust
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2268wm
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic TTR-1000
Mouse Pro Intellimouse