• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SoftBank Reportedly Considering Selling Arm Holdings

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
According to the report from The Wall Street Journal, we have obtained information that SoftBank, owner of Arm Holdings, is considering a future of Arm Holdings without SoftBank's ownership. The report is indicating that SoftBank can either sell its subsidiary or make it go to public with Initial Public Offering (IPO). If we recall, SoftBank has purchased Arm Holdings in 2016 for 32 billion USD, and the company is potentially worth much more today. Arm Holdings was established as a joint between Acorn Computers, Apple Computer (now Apple Inc.), and VLSI Technology. The news of SoftBank selling Arm Holdings is coming just after Apple decided to make a Mac based on Arm ISA.

The report from WSJ says that the market interest for such acquisition is unknown, so there is a big possibility that SoftBank will ultimately do nothing and just keep the company. My speculations could be that Apple may have an interest in the company since it is using its royalties and intellectual property. If such a thing happens Apple would be forced to sign a deal by antitrust regulators that force the company to continue offering to license the ISA. After all, Apple was one of the founding members of the joint venture. The possibility of that is of course very low. If another option such as IPO happens, the company would still be in ownership of SoftBank, it would just go to the public trading market.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Maybe Softbank hopes that Apple will buy ARM now that it decided to go full ARM. By making this a public information maybe they hope to pocket much more money from Apple compared to talking in secret behind close doors. But maybe I am oversimplifying here.

I wonder if Intel could be interested in this. Even if they sell out 80-100 billions in money/shares they would end up with the two most widespread architectures on their property. The only case those money will go to the dust bin, is if companies turn to another option, like MIPS or something new.

If true then Huawei may be very interested in doing some shopping.

If Softbank has any sense they'll hold on to ARM for as long as they possibly can. ARM is just entering the Server space now, there's a tremendous upside still.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
If true then Huawei may be very interested in doing some shopping.

I doubt it. Huawei need help with both ARM architecture licensing as well as silicon manufacturing. Acquiring ARM alone won't make any difference.

Last edited:
System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Also the US will never let SoftBank sell to Huawei. And SoftBank is an investment group or something, if I am not mistaken. No matter how much money Huawei/Chinese government will offer them, the damages that will follow in US and other countries that do what US says them to do, will be much greater.

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
Apple, the buyer is Apple

I doubt it. Huawei need help with both ARM architecture licensing as well as silicon manufacturing. Acquiring ARM alone won't make any difference.
It can prevent others from using it, i.e. stop licensing, or help them raise some cash for opening their own fab.

Also the US will never let SoftBank sell to Huawei.
Last time I checked SoftBank could afford to give the US govt the finger.
Question is will they want to? On one side, they don't really like the US since the nukes, but on the other - they also hate the Chinese. As if there are such things like love and hate in business.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
It can prevent others from using it, i.e. stop licensing, or help them raise some cash for opening their own fab.

That would be a dick move affecting the whole tech industry and really destroy the public image of Huawei.

Money isn't the reason why Huawei don't have their own fab.

Very stupid move. ARM sees lot of money because Mobile, that one single reason is enough to say selling this is NEVER a good idea, esp to Softbank and Japan. Losing one of the top echelons in the computing is a suicide. Toshiba did a mistake with Nuclear Power and lost it's memory technology to Kioxia which is basically a group of companies. Softbank should never do this, a big mistake like WeWork disaster in opposite.

Very stupid move. ARM sees lot of money because Mobile, that one single reason is enough to say selling this is NEVER a good idea, esp to Softbank and Japan. Losing one of the top echelons in the computing is a suicide. Toshiba did a mistake with Nuclear Power and lost it's memory technology to Kioxia which is basically a group of companies. Softbank should never do this, a big mistake like WeWork disaster in opposite.
I'm pretty sure some guy at SoftBank didn't just wake up one morning and decided 'Hey, why don't we sell ARM?' Then again, to err is human...

That would be a dick move affecting the whole tech industry and really destroy the public image of Huawei.

Money isn't the reason why Huawei don't have their own fab.
It would be, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro

Last time I checked SoftBank could afford to give the US govt the finger.
Question is will they want to? On one side, they don't really like the US since the nukes, but on the other - they also hate the Chinese. As if there are such things like love and hate in business.
The last time I check, Japan is a co-developer with US's Aegis ABM system.

I suspect this was just unofficial watercooler talk; like they've discussed it just for financial planning reasons but haven't seriously considered doing so. ARM is currently a hot bit of IP to own, what with Amazon, Google, Apple and others going all-in on ARM-based chips for their respective products (servers, tablets, phones, etc). If anything, I feel they're more likely to go public, to make even more cash off interested stock holders, while still retaining controlling majority stake on it.