• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Intros ROG Strix XG17AHP Portable Gaming Monitor: Now with a Tripod Stand

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS today introduced the ROG Strix XG17AHP, a variant of the ROG Strix XG17AHPE 17.3-inch portable gaming monitor the company launched in January. The new XG17AHP includes an innovative new tripod stand. The feet of the stand fold outwards from the main stock, which is telescopic, and can extend in height. This lets you orient the display like a conventional desktop monitor, and not just like an iPad with its cover folded into a prism-like shape. The magnetic smart cover is still included in the package, so you even have that option.

These aside, the ROG Strix XG17AHP is identical to the ROG Strix XG17AHPE from January. It is a 17.3-inch 16:9 IPS display with Full HD resolution, 240 Hz refresh rate, features VESA Adaptive Sync, and a non-glare surface. Since it's meant to be a portable gaming monitor that you pair with your gaming notebook, it packs a 7,800 mAh battery that can provide up to 3 hours of use on a full charge. A USB-C connector is used both for recharging as well as DisplayPort passthrough input; while the monitor also features a micro-HDMI input (cables included that convert this to a standard HDMI). A premium ESS Sabre DAC converts digital audio from the display inputs to high-quality audio for the display's internal speakers, or a 3.5 mm jack. ASUS also includes a pouch that lets you carry the display around. By itself, the display weighs about 1.06 kg (1.76 kg with the tripod stand).

Update Jul 13th: ASUS revealed that the XG17AHP is priced at USD $599.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

What I want to see is more folding monitor laptops using thin oled technology so you can have a multimonitor setup on the go.

Imagine Razor's Valerie 3 with a Core i9 and 2080.

Sure it would cost damn near $10,000 on the high end, but that would be amazing.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 280
I really like the simple mount and the screen itself. Some of the USB screens I have found do have VESA mounts but I like this small tripod with a camera-like mount.

System Name The cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5700g
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright ARO-M14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3800mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston 1TB NV2| 2x 1TB 2.5" Hitachi 7200rpm | 2TB 2.5" Toshiba USB 3.0
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 32" + LG 24MP59G 24"
Case Chieftec CI-02B-OP
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio PCI-E (SB1040)
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Mouse Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10 x64 PRO
Benchmark Scores Mobile: Asus Strix Advantage G713QY | Ryzen 7 5900HX | 16GB Micron 3200MHz CL21 | RX 6800M 12GB |
These portable "gaming" monitors seem to come in laptop display panel sizes, making them pointless in my opinion. If I were to buy one for gaming, I'd want something that is visibly larger then my laptop's built in display - 20 or 22". I guess the 17" model is good for multi monitor setups, but that's more of a work setup then a gaming one...

I don't know about what others think here, but USD 599 for a portable 1080p 17 inch monitor is just absurd. We progressed from small monitors to the monster ultrawide monitors over the last 10 to 15 years, then now back to small monitors but at a premium price. Sure its got an upgrade with built in battery and DAC on top of the high refresh rate, but 600 bucks for these extra features is asking for a lot.

These portable "gaming" monitors seem to come in laptop display panel sizes, making them pointless in my opinion. If I were to buy one for gaming, I'd want something that is visibly larger then my laptop's built in display - 20 or 22". I guess the 17" model is good for multi monitor setups, but that's more of a work setup then a gaming one...
I think this is subjective. If I have limited space, and am pretty use to small laptop screens, the 17 inch is actually a decent size. My last gaming laptop comes with a 17.3 inch monitor which I think is decently sized for a mobile/ laptops.