• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SATA-IO Increases Interoperability Features with Revision 3.5 Specification

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO), the storage industry consortium dedicated to sustaining the quality, integrity and dissemination of the Serial ATA (SATA ) technology, today announced the publication of the SATA Revision 3.5 Specification. Specification 3.5 introduces features that enable increased performance benefits and promote greater integration of SATA devices and products with other industry I/O standards.

"SATA-IO has a long tradition of participating in the industry and supporting new innovative technology. These new features underscore the versatility of the SATA standard," said Jim Hatfield, SATA-IO president. "SATA remains one of the most stable, yet adaptable, interfaces in the industry. We are pleased to be able to enhance SATA's compatibility benefits for our members and the industry by adding features which allow SATA and other I/O standards to coexist in a variety of environments."

As storage technologies continue to advance, the industry continues to demand improvements in performance, reliability and compatibility. To ensure that members and the industry continue to have a reliable storage solution, the SATA-IO has added new features to the ubiquitous specification that offer improvements in a number of areas including:
  • Device Transmit Emphasis for Gen 3 PHY: aligns SATA with other characteristics of other I/O measurement solutions to help SATA-IO members with testing and integration.
  • Defined Ordered NCQ Commands: allows the host to specify the processing relationships among queued commands and sets the order in which commands are processed in the queue.
  • Command Duration Limit Features: reduces latency by allowing the host to define quality of service categories, giving the host more granularity in controlling command properties. The feature helps align SATA with the "Fast Fail" requirements established by the Open Compute Project (OCP) and specified in the INCITS T13 Technical Committee standard.
In addition, Specification 3.5 incorporates all of the latest T13 standard updates to give implementors the latest requirements for drives and other products and includes miscellaneous corrections and clarifications from the previous SATA 3.4 specification.

The specification is available to SATA-IO members for free, while non-members can purchase the specification by visiting this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
If PCI-Express can literally double the bandwidth every few years why hasn't SATA bothered to do the same? I'm switching to half NVMe drives and half SATA-SSDs later this year and it'll be an awkward position to have to work with two form factors instead of having one unified, high bandwidth and easily replaceable set of drives and interfaces.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
If PCI-Express can literally double the bandwidth every few years why hasn't SATA bothered to do the same?

They did, for a while...

Short version is the connector is tapped out.

If PCI-Express can literally double the bandwidth every few years why hasn't SATA bothered to do the same? I'm switching to half NVMe drives and half SATA-SSDs later this year and it'll be an awkward position to have to work with two form factors instead of having one unified, high bandwidth and easily replaceable set of drives and interfaces.

The advantage of S-ata is still hotswap, meaning you can pull the drive whenever you want while it's running. I dont see this happening with NVME.

On the other hand, NVME only offers benefits in certain workloads where the large speed advantage is plus, but S-ata can still cope and still be just as fast as your latest NVME drive.

S-ata needs to step up it's game.

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
The advantage of S-ata is still hotswap, meaning you can pull the drive whenever you want while it's running. I dont see this happening with NVME.

On the other hand, NVME only offers benefits in certain workloads where the large speed advantage is plus, but S-ata can still cope and still be just as fast as your latest NVME drive.

S-ata needs to step up it's game.

SATA is considered legacy, even before nvme gained traction.
the cost and changes necessary to duplicate SATA speeds were not trivial nor backwards compatible thus it was decided to EOL SATA at 6gbps and focus on nvme.

and yes, nvme is hardly necessary nor notable for the vast majority of users that would never even notice the difference, but it's the future (conversely, a single lane of pcie is faster than SATA, thus "cheap" nvme drives are starting to appear more and more) and we'll reap the benefits.

sata hotplug is a very very very small niche, nvme/pcie is hotplug but requires different form factor (U.2 like enterprise SSD drives that are contained within a case and have edge connectors designed for hotswapping), not for the consumer m2 drives on bare board

I think the benefit has more to do with the ability to mount a lot more drives with SATA bus than diverting PCIe lanes. Eventually with PCIe 5.0 and up, x1 lanes will become very plentiful even without the need of PLX-like switches. But for now, SATA (and SAS) allows for multiple drives, even "switches" that are much cheaper and easier to handle. Most people thinking probably only think in terms of gaming with their 1 or 2 drives maximum, so it doesn't matter to those folks at all.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
If PCI-Express can literally double the bandwidth every few years why hasn't SATA bothered to do the same?
There was SATA Express but it didn’t take off. It combined SATA with PCIe on a split three connectors cable plug.

I wonder, what's the point of tweaking a - basically - dead standard. SATA as an I/O for drives should've been replaced by SAS long time ago. Especially after SAS adopted SFF-8643 connector which propagated with same external design to U.2 (SFF-8639).

It's so ridiculous that if I want to plug on a desktop 8 drives I have to use 8 physical SATA cables, instead just 2 like SAS.

SATA irrelevancy is perfectly illustrated when you look at NVMe QLC drives which cost the same (or less) and just as well work as media storage for movies, games or other rarely moved stuff. So weird SATA is still around in its archaic form from 2008 (small tweaks here and there don't change the underlying inferiority of the standard compared to SAS and NVMe).

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
SATA irrelevancy is perfectly illustrated when you look at NVMe QLC drives which cost the same (or less)
I can get a 4TB spinner for the same price as a 1TB nvme drive, or 6TB if i go a little over.

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I wonder, what's the point of tweaking a - basically - dead standard. SATA as an I/O for drives should've been replaced by SAS long time ago. Especially after SAS adopted SFF-8643 connector which propagated with same external design to U.2 (SFF-8639).

It's so ridiculous that if I want to plug on a desktop 8 drives I have to use 8 physical SATA cables, instead just 2 like SAS.

SATA irrelevancy is perfectly illustrated when you look at NVMe QLC drives which cost the same (or less) and just as well work as media storage for movies, games or other rarely moved stuff. So weird SATA is still around in its archaic form from 2008 (small tweaks here and there don't change the underlying inferiority of the standard compared to SAS and NVMe).
If you read the press release, it's an update that's basically made for manufacturers(improvements to testing and isgnal integrity) and has marginal -if none- benefit for end user, i do see the benefit for enterprise SATA(which is still widely used), for example, the ordered queue for commands could lead to small improvements in high QD and the command timeout would lead to less "raid hang" when controllers wait forever for disks to timeout.
Those changes most likely can be implemented on software/FW alone.

the thing is that the PHY change needs new silicon, so forget we'll see anything anytime soon, most likely we'll see it in enterprise sata hdd and ssd and sas switches/controllers