• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Rocket Lake CPUs Will Bring up to 10% IPC Improvement and 5 GHz Clocks

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Intel is struggling with its node development and it looks like next-generation consumer systems are going to be stuck on 14 nm for a bit more. Preparing for that, Intel will finally break free from Skylake-based architectures and launch something new. The replacement for the current Comet Lake generation is set to be called Rocket Lake and today we have obtained some more information about it. Thanks to popular hardware leaker rogame (_rogame), we know a few stuff about Rocket Lake. Starting off, it is known that Rocket Lake features the backport of 10 nm Willow Cove core, called Cypress Cove. That Cypress Cove is supposed to bring only 10% IPC improvements, according to the latest rumors.

With 10% IPC improvement the company will at least offer some more competitive product than it currently does, however, that should be much slower than 10 nm Tiger Lake processors which feature the original Willow Cove design. It shows that backporting of the design doesn't just bring loses of the node benefits like smaller design and less heat, but rather means that only a fraction of the performance can be extracted. Another point that rogame made is that Rocket Lake will run up to 5 GHz in boost, and it will run hot, which is expected.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

If this is 10% IPC uplift from Sky Lake, then it looks really poor. Even the Sunny Cove used in Ice Lake U was supposed to be up to 18% IPC uplift from Sky Lake based processors. If AMD's Zen 3 introduces up to 15% IPC improvement, then its all over for Intel when it comes to performance and efficiency. To hit the 5Ghz, I am sure they are feeding it with the same insane amount of power just like the current Comet Lake.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I have no idea whether the IPC gains are 10%, 20% or even 25%, but 10% would certainly be disappointing.

But approximating IPC on early engineering samples is pointless, since we don't have context and control over the chip's clocks. I suspect this "10% estimate" is derived from that Geekbench score from the other day, a benchmark which is useless even on a good day.

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
If this is 10% IPC uplift from Sky Lake, then it looks really poor. Even the Sunny Cove used in Ice Lake U was supposed to be up to 18% IPC uplift from Sky Lake based processors. If AMD's Zen 3 introduces up to 15% IPC improvement, then its all over for Intel when it comes to performance and efficiency. To hit the 5Ghz, I am sure they are feeding it with the same insane amount of power just like the current Comet Lake.

For now.

Never forget we're speaking about a 10 times bigger company having some hard times because 5-10 years of lacking competition, emerging security issues and a 5 year saga of strugling 10nm R&D. They will make a comeback. It's inevitable. They just need time to do that. They've past the point of salvability with 10nm, focusing on the next step which may be later than expected, but anoder point worth remembering: Intel's manufacturing processes were always better. That means the just dropped 10nm would be on par with TSMC/Samsung 7nm. Which is the cause the industry is urging to work out a new method of measurement for manufacturing techniques because the "nm" count is no longer a valid measurement of comparison.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
5GHz boost clocks, who cares.
Increased TDP makes these pointless.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
At this point, I think Intel should never move off 14nm. They should just keep it around as a "vintage edition" or something like that.

For now.

Never forget we're speaking about a 10 times bigger company having some hard times because 5-10 years of lacking competition, emerging security issues and a 5 year saga of strugling 10nm R&D. They will make a comeback. It's inevitable. They just need time to do that. They've past the point of salvability with 10nm, focusing on the next step which may be later than expected, but anoder point worth remembering: Intel's manufacturing processes were always better. That means the just dropped 10nm would be on par with TSMC/Samsung 7nm. Which is the cause the industry is urging to work out a new method of measurement for manufacturing techniques because the "nm" count is no longer a valid measurement of comparison.

I don't deny they are a much bigger company, but you need to remember that AMD Is not Intel's only competitor when you are looking at just CPU business. Objectively speaking, Intel have had multiple missteps for a number of years now. If not because of their financial might and market share, they would have been in bigger trouble.

I am no expert in this area, but what I understand is that Intel's fab tend to be superior to competition in terms of density. So their 14nm for example, could equal that of a 10nm from their competitor for example. But starting with 10nm, I am starting to wonder if that is still the case. What Intel originally planned for 10nm, it was well and good (and aggressive). But because they failed to deliver it for many years, I am pretty sure they had to make compromises to deliver it and appease their investors. My take is that if Intel's 10nm is that great, why is AMD able to deliver and 8 core Renoir with a respectable iGPU, while TIger Lake can only cram in 4 cores with Xe graphics? This is just my speculation. In addition, 10nm yields may have improved, but still unlikely to be as good as their matured 14nm. I feel Intel is certainly not out of the woods with their 10nm issues, thus, we are seeing them dragging their feet when it comes to delivery of 10nm products.

As to 7nm, I will not hold my breathe for it. Its about 2+ to 3 years away and competitors are not sitting there idle. Whether it will be better or not, time will tell. But 1 thing I feel is certain, and that is Intel has lost the fab advantage and likely not going to get it back that soon. Just hope that they don't fall behind on their 7nm further because that will be devastating news for them.

5GHz boost clocks, who cares.
Increased TDP makes these pointless.
Objectively, I feel some people won't be put off by the high TDP. I am just waiting to see if Zen 3 is going to give AMD the boost required in games. Currently, high clockspeed from Intel processors are helping them to retain the gaming crown. But with a lackluster 10% IPC improvement it may not be a big step up from the current highest clocked i7 10700K Coment Lake CPU.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Objectively, I feel some people won't be put off by the high TDP. I am just waiting to see if Zen 3 is going to give AMD the boost required in games. Currently, high clockspeed from Intel processors are helping them to retain the gaming crown. But with a lackluster 10% IPC improvement it may not be a big step up from the current highest clocked i7 10700K Coment Lake CPU.
TDP is rather hard to understand these days. Basically you get a base TDP and base frequencies that the CPU will sustain indefinitely. You get a boost TDP which is a max value the CPU will push, thermals allowing. And in practice you get the real boost TDP which is determined by your cooling solution and airflow (because most people will not have the blowers required to reach the max boost TDP).

Personally, I feel that while Intel could have done a better job explaining all of that better to the layman, I feel what all that does in the end is let a CPU stretch as much as it has legroom to do so. But with that in mind, it's pretty hard to predict what people will find acceptable and what not.

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
Objectively speaking, Intel have had multiple missteps for a number of years now. If not because of their financial might and market share, they would have been in bigger trouble.

I am no expert in this area, but what I understand is that Intel's fab tend to be superior to competition in terms of density. So their 14nm for example, could equal that of a 10nm from their competitor for example.
Since 1998 and later and for every release of a New CPU series, INTEL this has to generate enough funds ( from us consumers) so to pay the R&D work and also to deliver profits to their shareholders.
From the other hand there is a financial crisis in the markets in the past ten years, consumers spending this gradually minimized.

In simple English, the Industry move forwards when past investment at R&D and shareholders has be paid, only then a new cycle will begin.
From the era of quad core Q6600 and later, the vast majority of CPU intense and productive applications has be covered for home use.

For example the people and industry they had the expectation of getting a faster CPU for video editing and or 3D product design software.
New CPU series development and production just for gaming this is not how INTEL thinks or act.

Statistically the spending capacity of a PC gamer this is zero ... the father is the hero and the one paying the bills.
When all households are in crisis, INTEL economists they have awareness that there is no much to expect as growth from them.

And as last, lets not leave out the Microsoft Windows deception (operating system), since Win7 and later the operating system become full of processes running simultaneously with out user control, supposedly these are a new form of software based intelligence, this collecting and recording all day long what the user does in his PC.
Such a poor made concept it does keep the CPU and hard-drives busy even when the PC hypothetically this is idle, since Win7 and later there is no CPU Idle time.
If you keep quad cores busy just for the operating system, then you need another quad cores solely for intense gaming.

In conclusion now that your CPU this has eight cores , you do still consider it as slow.
I have the feeling that game consoles will do better with less required hardware simply because they will not run Windows as operating system.

I have no idea whether the IPC gains are 10%, 20% or even 25%, but 10% would certainly be disappointing.

But approximating IPC on early engineering samples is pointless, since we don't have context and control over the chip's clocks. I suspect this "10% estimate" is derived from that Geekbench score from the other day, a benchmark which is useless even on a good day.

These chips are to be released this year, this is not early, probably semi-final silicon and final clocks. With 10% IPC and only 8 cores Intel will not even win gaming benchmarks against zen3.

System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
Intel has made TDP a joke. Their "125W TDP" CPUs are pulling 280-300 watts continuously if you have enough cooling to handle it.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Intel has made TDP a joke. Their "125W TDP" CPUs are pulling 280-300 watts continuously if you have enough cooling to handle it.
That's incorrect.
At stock, Intel's CPUs will throttle to the TDP after 28-56 seconds, unless you disable the power limit. While I'm not a fan of this burst speed, if you're disabling the power limit to do it continuously you're no longer running it at stock, and that's on you. Unfortunately, many reviews do this, which makes these CPUs look terrible in terms of power consumption.

For AMD on the other hand, TDP is only a "guidance", where you can draw a bit more with sufficient cooling.

Processor R7 1700 @ 4.075ghz
Motherboard B450 Msi Gaming-Plus
Cooling Stock, upgrade to water after gpu upgrade
Memory 2x8gb @ 2400mhz cl16
Video Card(s) gtx 960 (waiting for RDNA2/Ampere)
Display(s) 3440x1440 100hz
Case sharkoon tg4
Power Supply 600W 80+Gold Pure Power 11
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 2nd place 4088 (@4.125ghz) Cinebench R23 Wr 10332(@4.11ghz)
im really hoping they will be good, Intel has showed us what happens when there is no competition in the market and if intel wont be able to offer good cpu´s at reasonable prices, zen3 prices will be high aswell

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
im really hoping they will be good,
Based on?
Intel has showed us what happens when there is no competition in the market
If by that you mean we get progress in other areas (i.e. laptops/ultrabooks), then you're spot-on.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Intel will also commit to a 10% order fulfillment

Hahaha, that really made me laugh.

Anyway, hasn't it been reported that Zen3 has 17% IPC uplift at worst? Also, isn't AMD doubling the cores per CCX? I'm not sure how that translates to performance, but I do know from the Techpowerup review of the 3100 and the 3300x that TPU reported a 12% performance advantage on average for the 3300x because of the 3300x have a single CCX versus two like with the 3100. Additionally, I've also read that we should expect a 200-300Mhz boost in frequencies moving to the upgraded 7nm node. I'm not sure how the math works in this situation (as in I'm not sure if it's as easy as adding those percentages together) , but wouldn't that mean that core for core, we can expect a 25% total performance increase for Zen3 at least?

Last edited:
If true, it's around a 3 generation upgrade in Intel world :D

They might get a bit close to Zen 2, but at which price and power usage ?
And I bet that there will be a black market because of shortage...

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
5Ghz for how long and how many cores? 10% IPC with more cache, compared to....... Cache makes heat, so the two articles should have been merged, cause it shows a lower muticore performance, caused by high TDP and temps....

If by that you mean we get progress in other areas (i.e. laptops/ultrabooks),
I'd give Apple as much credit if not more than Intel for that category & of course going for better battery life.

10% IPC improvement after at least 5 years is nowhere near enough. Intel promised 18% average IPC uplift when Sunny Cove was detailed back in 2018.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
10% IPC improvement after at least 5 years is nowhere near enough. Intel promised 18% average IPC uplift when Sunny Cove was detailed back in 2018.
What does enough mean? This takes the ipc crown back from amd (until zen3) and they are clocked a lot higher.

We all want more, and expect more... but this isn't a die shrink which brings with it even mkre native improvements. Understand what they are working with (regardless of how they got here).

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
10 % IPC improvement. Hmm is it not around that mark we have been the last decade or so. Since after Hassell. The IPC gains has been 5-10 % and not really more than that.

Sure Intel's reaching high core clock, but at what cost. High temperature and power consumption = expensive cooling solution needed as well.

No so far I am not impressed by Intel's offerings. So far I have my eyes set on AMD's Zen 3.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Sunny Cove did bring that ~18% increase. Which makes the tweet this snippet is based on strange - Willow Cove only +10% over Skylake? How? Willow Cove is worse than Sunny Cove which was previous new core architecture?

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I'd give Apple as much credit if not more than Intel for that category & of course going for better battery life.
Why? You think Apple designed those chips for Intel?

My point was, while the desktop didn't see much action because of lack of competition, Intel hasn't simply been sitting on their asses cashing in from Core.