• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Makes Changes to Technology Organization

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Today, Intel CEO Bob Swan announced changes to the company's technology organization and executive team to accelerate product leadership and improve focus and accountability in process technology execution. Effective immediately, the Technology, Systems Architecture and Client Group (TSCG) will be separated into the following teams, whose leaders will report directly to the CEO:

Technology Development, led by Dr. Ann Kelleher. An accomplished Intel leader, Kelleher has been head of Intel manufacturing, where she ensured continuous operations through the COVID-19 pandemic while increasing supply capacity to meet customer needs and accelerating the ramp of Intel's 10 nm process. She will now lead Intel technology development focusing on 7 nm and 5 nm processes. Dr. Mike Mayberry, who has been leading Technology Development, will consult and assist in the transition until his planned retirement at the end of the year. Mayberry has a 36-year track record of innovation at Intel, during which he has made key contributions in technology development and as the leader of Intel Labs.

Manufacturing and Operations, led by Keyvan Esfarjani. Esfarjani most recently led manufacturing for Intel's Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group (NSG), in which role he set the vision and strategy for Intel's memory manufacturing and led a rapid expansion of capacity. He will now lead global manufacturing operations and continue Kelleher's work driving product ramp and the build-out of new fab capacity.

Design Engineering, led in the interim by Josh Walden while Intel conducts an accelerated global search to identify a permanent world-class leader. Walden is a proven leader in technology manufacturing and platform engineering. Most recently, he has been leading the Intel Product Assurance and Security Group (IPAS), which will continue to report to him.

Architecture, Software and Graphics will continue to be led by Raja Koduri. Koduri has responsibility for driving the development of Intel's architecture and software strategy, and dedicated graphics product portfolio. Under his leadership, we will continue to invest in our software capability as a strategic asset and further build-out software engineering with cloud, platform, solutions and services expertise.

Supply Chain will continue to be led by Dr. Randhir Thakur. Thakur will report directly to the CEO as chief supply chain officer, recognizing the ever-growing importance of this role and our relationships with key players in the ecosystem. Thakur and his team are charged with ensuring supply chain is a competitive advantage for Intel.

As a result of these changes, Murthy Renduchintala will leave Intel on Aug. 3, 2020.

"I look forward to working directly with these talented and experienced technology leaders, each of whom is committed to driving Intel forward during this period of critical execution," said Swan. "I also want to thank Murthy for his leadership in helping Intel transform our technology platform. We have the most diverse portfolio of leadership products in our history and, as a result of our six pillars of innovation and disaggregation strategy, much more flexibility in how we build, package and deliver those products for our customers."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Intel's problems began long ago when they became a fatted cat enjoying huge margins in the x86 market without much competition. Happy to earn large margins they took few risks and as a result missed out on significant opportunities over the last eight years.

Now, with the x86 margins slimming and a significant fumble on advancements in process nodes they have very little to fall back on.

Intel remains an impressive company but they lost their much-needed scrappy attitude long ago and I suspect will never recover.

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
I don't know if scrappy attitude would even work for a company of this size. The last great realm was Andy Groves' extreme corporate paranoia. By the time leadership was granted to the first non-researcher/engineer (all of whom were also PhDs from respected engineering programs), Otellini in 2005, it was a well run juggernaut. A crazed, monopolistic juggernaut, but one that was technologically dominant and surprisingly agile.

Either way, moving deck chairs on the Titanic are just about the least important thing Intel could be doing, IMO. I have no real, comprehensive solutions for how to resolve Intel's current problems, since they reach back decades.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The shit has hit the fan and Intel is in panic mode.

Good riddance. I kept hearing that there was a huge power struggle at Intel and Murphy was behind much of it. I heard he was behind Jim Keller leaving, and was even giving Raja a hard time.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Good riddance. I kept hearing that there was a huge power struggle at Intel and Murphy was behind much of it. I heard he was behind Jim Keller leaving, and was even giving Raja a hard time.

Not sure who Murphy is exactly, but reading this my first was thought that there had to be a lot of bickering and in-fighting lead to these changes, and reporting to the CEO is like reporting to Mom&Dad, if you've been a bad boy. :shadedshu:

Not sure who Murphy is exactly, but reading this my first was thought that there had to be a lot of bickering and in-fighting lead to these changes, and reporting to the CEO is like reporting to Mom&Dad, if you've been a bad boy. :shadedshu:
I didn't know much of him until those news started popping up since Jim Keller's resignation. Basically Murphy was doing power hungry moves to try to clear any competition/CEO contenders. And that he tried doing the same with Raja. I think I heard it on Adoredtv? It was just the other day

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95

Murthy is their or was their Chief of Engineering. He's so awesome that every shrink under him has failed so you can see why he wanted to oust anyone who came close, lmao. With that much success it's only brought more lawsuits. Intel's got lawsuits up the ying yang and now a new class action for defrauding investors with their everything is greaaat with 10nm/7nm progress spiels.

To be honest that Raja part could be totally justified. The guy is a hack of an engineer and is better at selling smoke and mirrors.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Îťoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Intel lost Jim Keller, so they promoted Dr Ann Kelleher?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
To be fair, this isn't shuffling of roles, it's defining them. Seems like previously there wasn't very well-defined leadership and accountability in certain areas, and now Swan is introducing it. Way past time, and how accountable the people in question will be is yet to be seen, but on paper (and to investors) it looks like a good thing.

Murthy. With a T. Not a P.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Intel lost Jim Keller, so they promoted Dr Ann Kelleher?
They wanted Helen Keller but she wasn't answering the phone. ;)

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
The announcement is a nothingburger. It looks and reads just like any of hundreds of other meaningless senior leadership moves / reorgs from corporations - full of glittering generalities and key words, and constantly repeating the word "Leader" or "Leadership". The reason they repeat the word "leader' is to convince the reader that they are leaders, it's a form of persuasion.

You could go to a story generator and fill it full of Swan's key words, rearrange the results fill in some names and basically get the same thing.

and I suspect will never recover.
On that we disagree. This back and forth between AMD and Intel has been going on for more than 25 years. Intel will bounce back with an answer to AMD's recent success. This is not Intel's "swan-song"...

(Yes, pun intended)

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
An accomplished Intel leader, Kelleher has been head of Intel manufacturing...
I'm puzzled with how on earth is that a good background, given the circumstances, cough.

Architecture, Software and Graphics will continue to be led by Raja Koduri
Good news for AMD, I guess.

This back and forth between AMD and Intel has been going on for more than 25 years. Intel will bounce back with an answer to AMD's recent success.
But there was no back and forth on fab nodes, Intel was ahead of the planet.
And suddenly we have TSMC leaping years ahead of Intel.
If Intel cedes 40%-ish market share to AMD, it isn't clear if having own fabs will be sustainable.

On the other front, the gap between R&D investment is gargantuan. AMD is a lean organization, compared to Intel, to be competitive in fabless vs fabless mode, Intel needs major restructuring.

But there was no back and forth on fab nodes, Intel was ahead of the planet.
And suddenly we have TSMC leaping years ahead of Intel.
If Intel cedes 40%-ish market share to AMD, it isn't clear if having own fabs will be sustainable.
While that's a good point, something similar was at play in 2004/2005. AMD was kicking butt at the time and Intel didn't have an answer. Pentium4 and PentiumD was floundering hard for several years against Athlon64 and that lineup. Intel changed the game in 2006 with the "Core" line up, specifically Core2. I predict Intel will have an answer for Ryzen. When that will happen is anyone's guess.
On the other front, the gap between R&D investment is gargantuan.
Exactly.
AMD is a lean organization, compared to Intel, to be competitive in fabless vs fabless mode, Intel needs major restructuring.
AMD is lean because they needed to be. Intel does not have that need. Even they did, it's not possible for them to go fabless at this time.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
To me this shows how being too big has hurt Intel. What I look at are the positions that each of those candidates held. Those are arguably two of Intel's most successful stories. There is no doubt that demand is super high during the pandemic but you can still buy (some) 10th Gen CPUs and definitely 10th Gen laptops. Intel's NVME solutions at one time held the value and extreme market covered. Intel got caught with their pants down but it is much more than that as a publicly traded company (with super rich shareholders) of it's size; profit is the motivating factor in existence rather than innovation. When AMD released FX Intel gave us Sandybridge nuff said. The public opinion of FX meant that Intel did not really plan to spend the money to upgrade their fabs to 10NM. When they actually had to do it (thank's to Ryzen's success) they did not have the ability to deliver. The stock lost 15% on Friday so something had to be done. The public perception is so far from the financial truth between these 2 companies though that this is not really a move that will bear any quick fruit but it does put the CEO in direct contact with what is essentially R&D and Supply chain without the board's influence, which in a technology has the propensity to be a good thing.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
On that we disagree. This back and forth between AMD and Intel has been going on for more than 25 years. Intel will bounce back with an answer to AMD's recent success. This is not Intel's "swan-song"...

(Yes, pun intended)

Intel will compete but will likely never enjoy near-monopoly positions or the massive margins that went with those position.