• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arm China Goes Rogue, Ex-CEO Blocking the Business

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Problem is Wal-Mart came to town and shut 'em all down, as in anyone that was competition to them.
That's true.
You can blame the shoppers (True) but at the same time you can't blame them for wanting something that was cheaper.
No, I can blame them, and I will blame them. Local business is the lifeblood of a community, it's what gives communities vibrance. Take that away and you have nothing more than just corporate this and corporate that and where's the fun in that?

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
So when is the next asteroid due to mash into earth?

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Luckily in my area local businesses are still thriving and I thank God for that. Not everything has been taken over by the big chains, we even have some local restaurants that still serve up unique stuff especially so in the local beer brew scene which I love about my town. There's nothing quite like the vibrant beer scene of North East Ohio. Budweiser can keep their swill.

actually, it's MIPS they've been using, not ARM.

And can we cut the OT Trump dialog?
MIPS is like the third/spare wheel in a bicycle having x86 at the front & ARM at the back, they're no better than VIA in a 2 horse race led by Intel vs AMD, or say Intel in the GPU race between NVIDIA vs AMD :laugh:

Basically MIPS is useless for serious computing power, especially in the general computing (PC) & enterprise space so China's best bet is ARM & HiSilicon.
No, I can blame them, and I will blame them. Local business is the lifeblood of a community, it's what gives communities vibrance. Take that away and you have nothing more than just corporate this and corporate that and where's the fun in that?
Yup, imagine waking up in 2020 & thinking somehow this isn't your fault! Everyone is responsible for the mess we're in, though when apportioning blame Politicians & greedy business owners are likely on the top by a country mile!

I'll give you more examples, in the West especially in the US there are lax return policies & what some term as better consumer laws, you know what people use exploit them for ~ returning items they find cheaper elsewhere say $5 or even less at times because your favorite store i.e. Amazon, Walmart, Newegg, Best Buy won't always price match! Don't like something ~ don't worry return it free of cost to Amazon, Walmart even after the return period is over citing <reasons> & getting a full refund. Who do you think pays for this egregious exploitation of natural resources ~ your friendly slave labor in China i.e. Uighurs, sweatshops in much of Asia, LatAm, Africa etc.

You want to do something about it, how about effin stop buying things you don't need? Stop thinking it's just your money & there's no consequences to any of your actions!
Now quoting FMA ~
life has no equal trade, maybe you can give up all you got, and get nothing back.
For your convenience someone is perhaps not losing their life, but sure as hell being exploited in third world sh!tholes because you have to maintain that lifestyle & you absolutely cannot live without the riches you think you deserve! When people say immigrants drive down wages in the West, where the heck do they think Corporations get their (increased) profits from or your cheap items?

Stop putting your head in the sand ~ you are absolutely responsible for this mess & unless you mend your ways or lifestyle blaming just China, the US or greedy companies will not do a damn thing! Yet another famous quote, except from MKG ~
If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him… We need not wait to see what others do.

The part about everyone being responsible obviously includes everyone, even consumers in the developing world.

Last edited:
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Everyone is responsible for the mess we're in, though when apportioning blame Politicians & greedy business owners are likely on the top by a country mile!
Sadly... yes, I know this.

So when is the next asteroid due to mash into earth?
You mean the reset button? Imagine this paradox meteor makes us extinct and some other life form eventually emerges exhumes our corpses and burns us as fossil fuel.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
Yes except the "People's army" has at least 1000x more soldiers & probably 1000000x more clout in China & yes totally agree this move is likely backed by CCP ergo China!

Talking about this btw as ARM is quintessential to China's move away from x86 & the US.
ARM Ltd is owned by Japan's Softbank. VIA's X86 CPU design is owned by Taiwan (the other China).

VIA is still an independent entity IIRC, what you're talking about is perhaps Zhaoxin who're majority China owned. As for their (latest) designs, they're part of the JV.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
You mean the reset button? Imagine this paradox meteor makes us extinct and some other life form eventually emerges exhumes our corpses and burns us as fossil fuel.
I'm sure the dinosaurs where thinking the same things 66 million years ago.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
That's true.

It was a figure of speech.
Yes, in the end they are responsible for Wal-Mart being successful, that much is true if it's taken in the absolute literal sense.

However.... Some families had it rough and really had no choice but to buy from the cheapest place they could find and Wal-Mart back then wasn't associated (By perception) with China the way they are now.
I grew up in such a family so I know how it was firsthand. You got what you could from wherever you could afford and that was it.

I can promise you if they had known then what we know now, things would have been different today.

BTW this is starting to slide way off topic.... Just sayin.
I know when it comes down to it, China will take all advantage of ARM if they can. The guy that's refusing to leave (To me) is probrably doing it because he was told to in no uncertain terms.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Basically MIPS is useless for serious computing power, especially in the general computing (PC) & enterprise space so China's best bet is ARM & HiSilicon.

That ship has sailed. They literally took first place in supercomputers a while back using their Loongson custom MIPS chips. So yeah. It's what they did. They never wanted nor cared for ARM. They probably went for MIPS because the holdets of the intellectual property are financially weaker.

And ARM topped the supercomputer list just recently, which then will be headed by AMD (x86) in the near future. There's a reason why I said "serious computing power" & general computing in the same sentence. Between ARM & x86 ecosystem, they probably command 90-95% of all profits in the computing space. How many billions do Chinese phone makers make by selling ARM based smartphones, now tell me how many using MIPS? Sure if you're counting specific applications or edge cases including super computing, something like an A100 is unmatched or say the upcoming TPU3. So unless your idea of self sustenance or moving away from x86 is sticking to an inferior technology, yes for all intents & purposes MIPS is indeed inferior, & hoping the rest of the world will move to MIPS over the next few decades I don't see how your idea is sound to me. Again military or academia there's MIPS, RISC-V & a whole host of other alternatives, ~ that however won't bring the trillions of dollars worth of exports China relies on, many of which come from the two I highlighted.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
System Name Auriga
Processor Ryzen 7950X3D w/ aquacomputer cuplex kryos NEXT with VISION - acrylic/nickel
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Res/D5 Combo •• Corsair XR7 480mm + Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS radiators •• 7xNF-A12 chromax
Memory 2x 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB @ 6200MHz, 30-40-40-28, 1.35V (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X w/ Bykski waterblock
Storage 2TB WD Black SN850X ••• 2TB Corsair M510 ••• 40TB QNAP NAS via SFP+ NIC
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (3440x1440, 10-bit @ 139Hz)
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Pro (FPS games) + Logitech MX Master 2S (everything else)
Keyboard Keycult No2 rev 1 w/Amber Alps and TX stabilizers on a steel plate. DCS 9009 WYSE keycaps
Software W10 X64 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/c3rxw7
In my opinion, this is the risk of operating in China. When things goes south, foreign companies have little control over the situation there. There is also no international organization that can exercise any authority there.

if i understand it correctly, ARM gina only handles relations within gina. can't the main office just cut them off?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
No. He's the only thing standing between US Citizens and China. We've been getting sold out for 40 years before he showed up.

Cool story bro. Still, stop. It's offtopic.

And ARM topped the supercomputer list just recently, which then will be headed by AMD (x86) in the near future.

Doesn't matter, China choose it's racecar and considering I keep in touch with some of the processor devs, I can confidently say they are sticking to it. There's a lot more to a chip than the ISA anyways. It's the microarchitecture and funding holding them back more than the ISA now.

Sure, except you quoted the part where I said ARM is quintessential to China's move away from x86 ~ which still holds 100% true. MIPS will not replace or complement either x86 nor ARM, for mass market or servers, in the near to medium term unless you're saying they plan to switch over completely to MIPS in the next few years & pour literally trillions of dollars moving 180° from the rest of the world? Who knows what happens twenty years down the line but I don't see MIPS being anywhere near the two, at least by the end of this decade.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I do have to ask one silly question... What about RISC-V? Will that go anywhere besides small-time things?

When will corporations learn that when dealing with China you are dealing with the Devil. I can say this due to my dealings with the Pacific Rim. The rest of the Western World should be listening to what Japan is doing. I won't go back to China because of the real threat of losing your IP.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
When will corporations learn that when dealing with China you are dealing with the Devil. I can say this due to my dealings with the Pacific Rim. The rest of the Western World should be listening to what Japan is doing. I won't go back to China because of the real threat of losing your IP.

My friend who had a pillow design that sold well on Amazon one day found many copies of his design being sold on Amazon from Chinese sellers. He had to hire a virtual assistant to help him out with complaining to Amazon and take down listings from Chinese sellers, his pillow design was patented in the US and Europe.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Sure, except you quoted the part where I said ARM is quintessential to China's move away from x86 ~ which still holds 100% true. MIPS will not replace or complement either x86 nor ARM, for mass market or servers, in the near to medium term unless you're saying they plan to switch over completely to MIPS in the next few years & pour literally trillions of dollars moving 180° from the rest of the world?

That is their publically available battle plan, yes. They already have a few consumer MIPs notebooks being pushed on their population based on it too (they do some kind of x86 translation in hardware too).

ARM isn't even on their scanners as of now. I think they see the foreignness of MIPS as a benefit, frankly. I don't think they trust ARM.

You can track their basic progress here, though it is quite dated (it ends about circa 2012):

Last edited: