• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA in Advanced Talks to Acquire Arm from SoftBank

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It was reported last week that NVIDIA is "interested" in acquiring UK chip-design firm Arm from Japan's SoftBank that holds a treasure chest of tech IP. Now Bloomberg reports that things are getting serious between NVIDIA and SoftBank, with the two reportedly engaged in "advanced talks" over the possible acquisition of Arm by NVIDIA. The graphics and scalar compute giant recently surpassed Intel in market capitalization.

With a few quick moves, NVIDIA stands a real chance of displacing Intel as makers of the world's most popular CPU machine architecture, driven mainly by smartphones, tablets, networking infrastructure, wearables, and IoT devices. The Arm architecture is also taking strides into the server space, and Apple recently decided to dump Intel x86 in favor of Arm-powered homebrew SoCs. Arm could cost NVIDIA an arm and a leg. New Street Research LLP estimated Arm's valuation at USD $44 billion if its IPO took off in 2021, and as much as $68 billion by 2025.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
And they can claim the China division of Arm as a tax loss.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
The plot thickens....

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I fear for a world in which Nvidia practically controls everything in the mobile/embedded space. Although probably their main intention is to bundle their GPUs with ARM CPUs, many have tried to make ARM happen in the HPC space few succeeded, somewhat. Not on large scales anyway.

Arm could cost NVIDIA an arm and a leg

So many jokes could have been made.

Last edited:
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I'm really not liking how this could play out. I already don't like nVidia, this would make me dislike them even more so.

I'm not sure this move is a great one, assumed the history of x86 patenting and the "proprietary vision" of NVIDIA.
Unless it's a "US move" to assume control of future standards.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Unless it's a "US move" to assume control of future standards.

I suspect this has much to do with it. Or a way to cut China off from it.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
That would allow Nvidia to reduce reliance on AMD or Intel's CPU and platform when designing their GPU workstation solutions. Good for them.

Meanwhile how the F did another tech article like this turn into another political BS spewing contest? Plenty of that political shithole on reddit you can vent off all your views. No need to pollute TPU with that.

Mine is not political. We got we deserved from China. I don't fault them at all. I just think 32 billion is a lot to spend when the market already said they didn't want their mobile gpus. It is also a lot spend banking on super computers. It makes some sense for AI I suppose but damn that is a lot.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Mine is not political. We got we deserved from China. I don't fault them at all. I just think 32 billion is a lot to spend when the market already said they didn't want their mobile gpus. It is also a lot spend banking on super computers. It makes some sense for AI I suppose but damn that is a lot.

Both Intel and AMD are posed to have complete CPU + GPU + I/O integration. Being a bit weak on the GPU front.

Nvidia is at an disadvantage. They are unchallenged in software support and absolute compute power on the GPU front. They have recently acquired some high speed network chip maker I believe to complete their I/O part. Now they really need the CPU side to complete their integration. Yes ARM CPU will be weaker compared to AMD and Intel's offering. But it would gave Nvidia full package control instead of relying on say AMD's EPYC completely.

In an ideal world if Nvidia can get their hands on Cyrix / VIA's x86 it would be amazing. With Nvidia's R&D track record they would make some decent x86 CPUs.

Also AI and GPU computing is not a small market. If you sit through Nvidia's Youtube GDC presentation you will see there are loads of opportunities here.

I hope Nvidia's acquisition of ARM materializes.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I hope Nvidia's acquisition of ARM materializes.

That may be. Let's hope this doesn't turn into NV's ATI moment. Though they seem more fiscally capable even though the ARM purchase is 3 times their yearly revenue.

This is a monumental moment. x86 is dying and the only sanctuary is desktop PC and data center. Won’t be long till they move to Arm as well!

I wonder how this will play with Apple moving to ARM. Apple doesn't like Nvidia, I think it clearly showed when they went with AMD for all their MacBook and Mac graphics cards (not entirely sure about Mac Pros). But there was a story that Apple didn't like how closed Nvidias drivers were or something before they ditched them for AMD. I would be interesting to know what Apple thinks about their ARM move now, if Nvidia actually acquires it.

Who knows how this Apple move will go, but right now they are all in on it. Depending on whether this turns out to be a good move, Apple will be dependant on Nvidia, not just on ARM. So it could just be a smart investment to eventually basically shake out Apple for as much as they can. Which, Apple has more than $ 100 billion just sitting there in the bank and that's an older number I heard.

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I wonder how this will play with Apple moving to ARM. Apple doesn't like Nvidia, I think it clearly showed when they went with AMD for all their MacBook and Mac graphics cards (not entirely sure about Mac Pros). But there was a story that Apple didn't like how closed Nvidias drivers were or something before they ditched them for AMD. I would be interesting to know what Apple thinks about their ARM move now, if Nvidia actually acquires it.

Who knows how this Apple move will go, but right now they are all in on it. Depending on whether this turns out to be a good move, Apple will be dependant on Nvidia, not just on ARM. So it could just be a smart investment to eventually basically shake out Apple for as much as they can. Which, Apple has more than $ 100 billion just sitting there in the bank and that's an older number I heard.

Apple is ditching all AMD GPU for in house silicon too. Basically they want ALL the money to themselves. Now thinking about it, the only time Apple tried to be open and used x86 was when their PowerPC CPU got destroyed by Intel's Core uArc.

Not doubting the usefulness of ARM design. But it is also too early to call this end of x86.

There is no strict RSIC vs CISC as most designs try to learn from what the others are doing better. x86 will it superior abosolute performance and compatibility will still dominate the HPC market for the foreseeable future.

This is good, the more competition Intel gets more they will have to evolve to counter the threat.

Nvidia buying ARM could be the best thing happening for both Intel and the consumer market.

We get faster and cheaper cpu:s.

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
If Nvidia does buy ARM it's fully to support their datacenter work and not consumer devices. That doesn't mean they won't use ARM in consumer, but that's not their focus. It makes more sense when you remember they just bought Mellanox and are currently buying Cumulus. This would give them the ability to do 100% NVIDIA super computers which is a bigger market than most people think. It's not just the research super computers any more, businesses have them for their internal HPC and AI applications

Apple is ditching all AMD GPU for in house silicon too. Basically they want ALL the money to themselves. Now thinking about it, the only time Apple tried to be open and used x86 was when their PowerPC CPU got destroyed by Intel's Core uArc.

Apple Silicon GPU for ARM Macs could maybe beat integrated graphics on Intel or AMD side, but I don't think they can leave AMD for dedicated graphics any time soon. I'm willing to bet they will keep working with AMD or maybe even with Nvidia again because customers want dedicated GPUs for obvious reasons. They can't compete with AMD or Nvidia here, or if they don't offer dedicated GPUs anymore, they'll lose a very big segment of their customers.

Don't forget the fastest supercomputer in the world is now officially ARM-based. It beat the now second-best x86 supercomputer by a factor of 2.8x ! The only reason ARM may have problems taking over the HPC market, is simply because of the enormous investments already made into x86 over the years. But customers aren't going to stay loyal to x86, if ARM suddenly is seen as a better choice. Here's a Link to an article.

Last edited:
System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
In an ideal world if Nvidia can get their hands on Cyrix / VIA's x86 it would be amazing. With Nvidia's R&D track record they would make some decent x86 CPUs.
I'm not so sure than would pan out. For the chip to be competitive it would have to support a good number of modern features (like x64 among countless others) with current patents that would have to be licensed from Intel and AMD and if I were either of those two, the price would be very high.

On top of that, there could still be a cross-licensing deal of some kind between VIA and Intel that could prevent them from transferring their existing Intel-licensed portion of x86 tech in the event of a sale (if they even still have any). I'm speculating on that because otherwise why wouldn't somebody have bought out VIA a long time ago specifically for that purpose? Or bought out AMD for that matter when their stock was at $2.70-ish per share back in 2014(?) and a lot of people were thinking they were about ready to fold?

As far as Cyrix-specific x86 tech, the patents on all that expired long ago so there's really no need to buy anything. Sure, circuits can be copyrighted now and protected even after the patent expires, but change the values of all the resistors and capacitors by tiny percentage that doesn't effect the circuit, move the layout around a bit, and you just circumvented that. But, it's old-ass tech that's not going to do much good without licensing the newer stuff with it.

Bottom line whether any of that is even semi-accurate or not: For whatever reason, I don't think they have any interest in x86 at all:

As much as their corporate practices sickens me, I have to admit that nVida aren't stupid, and they have very talented engineers, and plenty of them, and plenty of resources to hire more. If they wanted x86 tech, they would probably design it themselves just like Cyrix did, except unlike Cyrix, they have the money to not get buried alive in legal costs when Intel (and also AMD this time) sues them.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
current patents that would have to be licensed from Intel and AMD and if I were either of those two, the price would be very high.

They can't be unreasonable.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
They can't be unreasonable.
They have no reason to even consider it.

Unreasonable, they both developed and cross licenced technology that makes the world run literally, why would they let a third competitor in they're niche, and market's ,do they look that skint, AMD we're but that still didn't happen.

This would push MIPS and RISC options into use IMHO

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Unreasonable, they both developed and cross licenced technology that makes the world run literally, why would they let a third competitor in they're niche, and market's ,do they look that skint, AMD we're but that still didn't happen.

Well, they may not, but I am pretty sure US requires business to fairly license their IP when they are already licensing it to other companies. I believe that was true when Samsung and Apple were constantly going at each other so I presume it applies here. It may not, I could be wrong.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Yeah, Intel and AMD are perfectly happy with their duopoly thank you very much.

System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
Well, they may not, but I am pretty sure US requires business to fairly license their IP when they are already licensing it to other companies. I believe that was true when Samsung and Apple were constantly going at each other so I presume it applies here. It may not, I could be wrong.
I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt it. I think they just worked it out. Being forced to license it, except under some extreme circumstance - like a matter of nation security or something - seems rather purpose defeating. A patent (a utility patent anyway) is essentially a 20-year license to run a monopoly on a new product.

They were probably dealing with patent offices in who knows how many countries also though, with who knows how many different laws, so who knows what went on (off the top of my head, I would say patents rarely get filed in a single country anymore).

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt it. I think they just worked it out. Being forced to license it, except under some extreme circumstance - like a matter of nation security or something - seems rather purpose defeating. A patent (a utility patent anyway) is essentially a 20-year license to run a monopoly on a new product.

They were probably dealing with patent offices in who knows how many countries also though, with who knows how many different laws, so who knows what went on (off the top of my head, I would say patents rarely get filed in a single country anymore).

While the courts did find Samsung set unreasonable license fees, these cases were more about patent infringement between the two of them so likely doesn't apply here.

The court found that Samsung's fee was unreasonable, but noted that, if the companies cannot make a fair and reasonable licensing fee, Samsung could open a new case against Apple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc._v._Samsung_Electronics_Co.

Yes, I know it is Wikipedia, but good enough for this.