• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Intros TG-30 and TG-50 Thermal Compounds with Honeycomb Pattern Stencil Applicators

Pea drop in the center....

'nuff said :)

If you can't accomplish this, then you have absolutely NO business building a computer in the 1st place, IMHO
Depends on the CPU. This logic might have been good years ago but today in addition to AM4 where chiplet might be in the corner instead of middle and LGA1151 (soon LGA1200) we also have Threadripper etc where using this method would yield bad results. Gamers Nexus tested this years ago. Even their modmat has patterns for best spread printed on it.

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
actually the honeycomb applicator will be good for beginners to avoid putting too much tim; if this tim has silver particles even is not conductive may be capacitive and can cause damage if close electric paths
And also for CPU cooler reviewers, about more accurate comparisons.
The Thermal grease does not seem high performance, this could be bad idea for air-cooling.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Depends on the CPU. This logic might have been good years ago but today in addition to AM4 where chiplet might be in the corner instead of middle and LGA1151 (soon LGA1200) we also have Threadripper etc where using this method would yield bad results. Gamers Nexus tested this years ago. Even their modmat has patterns for best spread printed on it.
Whilst that's true if you do A-B testing of various spread patterns the same day you apply the paste, I can guarantee you that as long as you put enough paste in there and the clamping pressure is sufficient, all methods result in a thin, even spread after a couple of weeks.

The only thing you have to do is avoid making an air-trap, like drawing a circle of paste, for example. This is why pea, rice grain, single-blob - call it whatever you want - is best. It will guarantee no air bubbles and it'll get squeezed into a very thin, even layer with the excess being pushed out the sides. As I mentioned a few posts back, I also put peas in the location of each individual dies in a multi-chip package, but I have a colleague that built some of our threadripper farm with the "big blob in the middle" method and having to RMA it for a failed board, the single dollop had made full-IHS coverage even without the one-blob per die method.

If that doesn't happen then you probably have poor clamping force which is a much more serious problem that worrying about the thickness of your thermal paste layer.

But either way, the most important thing is that it simply doesn't matter. People love to argue this until they're blue in the face but if there's enough thermal paste then pretty much any shape or pattern that doesn't trap air is going to be fine and they'll all perform identically after two weeks, if not sooner.

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
Whilst that's true if you do A-B testing of various spread patterns the same day you apply the paste, I can guarantee you that as long as you put enough paste in there and the clamping pressure is sufficient, all methods result in a thin, even spread after a couple of weeks.

I think that we have graduate from the same CPU-Cooling university. :)
I am following the INTEL train for many years and TPU record that too https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/p4c800-e-and-xp120-thermalright.84829/ , from metal clips to plastic hook clips, from plastic hook clips to plastic anchor pins, and only after market coolers are using the force of screws.
A couple of weeks of patience before making a worth noted comparison this is a golden rule.
But no one he should expect anything better than 1.5 Degree as difference.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.