• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fortnite Gets Kicked Out From Google and Apple App Stores, Epic Games Files a Lawsuit

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Today, Epic Games has decided to file a lawsuit against both Apple and Google after both companies removed Fortnite form their platform app stores (Google Play and Apple App Store). Firstly, Apple has decided to remove the Fortnite app to form its App Store because the game violated the company's policy that all in-game payments must go through the Apple App Store system, instead of them being processed directly. That means that Apple can also apply its 30% cut on all the payments made in-game. After Apple has revoked the Fortnite app, Epic Games has decided to file a lawsuit that aims to fight the company's monopoly and make the iOS platform more developer-friendly. Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said that Epic will not seek or accept any special deal that Apple may offer, but rather wants to fight for all developers.

Just hours after Apple decided to pull the Fortnite game from its App Store, Google has also removed the game from its Google Play Store. Google's Play Store policy about in-app payments says that all games must use Google Play in-app billing if they want to process payments, so Fortnite was pulled from it as well. In light of that move, Epic Games has also filed a lawsuit against Google on the same terms. The company wants to fight both Apple and Google in court and make them be more developer-friendly, especially Apple. We have to wait and see how the case progresses. Being that Apple is almost a $2 trillion company, it can surely afford lots of good lawyers, just as Google will. We want to express our support for Epic Games for going in the right direction, as we do need more open ecosystems.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Just pull everything out of those greedy sub-based money whores and run your own game, supported by the content creation industry . We don't need distributors taking large pieces of pie. GTFO, you can sit in the naughty corner with Gabe's 30% Steam cut. I don't care about shiny stores. I care about games.

Its just data. Everyone can run a server, and I applaud Epic for doing so as it is. The power of these tech giants needs to be stopped.

Public awareness is the most powerful weapon if we want to support this.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Something else must have happened, this game has been on Android and iOS for what, 2 years ? Did they realize that purchases through the most popular game on Earth were made directly in the app just now ?

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Epic signed the contact about in-app purchase and Epic violated it, Epic got kicked out, Epic files a lawsuit about "Monopoly" and claims it is fighting for all developers.

SoMeThInG Is NoT RiGhT ... :nutkick:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. If you want to use someone's service, you play by their rules. Google and Apple have the right to operate as they see fit within the boundaries of the law. The question is whether or not Google and Apple are breaking the law by imposing these rules.

I'm not sure about iOS, but on Android, you can easily install anything from an "unverified source" or whatever by ticking the option in Security Settings. It's no different than installing GPU-Z, which you downloaded from TechPowerUp, instead of installing it from the Microsoft Store, or whatever it's called.

The simple fact is that OS platforms are marketplaces, not stores. The store is the app store, and Apple is illegally restricting the market place to one store. Allow an Epic game store on iOS is the start. Time to fix this nonsense that only got started with the iPhone and is completely different from every other OS for the last 50 years.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
That POS should be pulled off from the entire internet. Thanks Google and Apple :love:

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Something else must have happened, this game has been on Android and iOS for what, 2 years ? Did they realize that purchases through the most popular game on Earth were made directly in the app just now ?

This is bigger than Epic. Apple is fighting this battle on in-app purchases in a broad sense. And Google happily tags along, after all, why not, you get double the weight to rake in more cash on a regular basis. This is like Steam extending its contract beyond the game purchase and applies the tax over all in-game purchases as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they follow suit. And note: they're not doing anything more for it than they always have. Its like free money!

Its greed. Pure and simple, and because technically they 'can'. The bigger their share of whatever pie, the more they can take over in the future. Apple does the same with start ups as Google in that sense. Its all business and we're suffering for it, in terms of creative landscape and fair play. We sure as hell don't benefit from it.

I believe they where planning the law suit... they implemented the alternative payment option to get banned from the store and leverage that to start the law suit.
1597393704290.png

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
This is bigger than Epic. Apple is fighting this battle on in-app purchases in a broad sense. And Google happily tags along, after all, why not, you get double the weight to rake in more cash on a regular basis. This is like Steam extending its contract beyond the game purchase and applies the tax over all in-game purchases as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they follow suit. And note: they're not doing anything more for it than they always have. Its like free money!

Its greed. Pure and simple, and because technically they 'can'. The bigger their share of whatever pie, the more they can take over in the future. Apple does the same with start ups as Google in that sense. Its all business and we're suffering for it, in terms of creative landscape and fair play. We sure as hell don't benefit from it.

If they don't, then everyone will be putting their apps "Free" and everything are in-app purchases.

Mentioning steam is quite an example.
Imagine if every game is Freemium and steam does not benefit from in-game purchases.

Are they doing a charity or something ?
Just let you profit from their platform and use the server bandwidth for $0 ?

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
Monopoly? Lol.... how many people play this through the app stores?

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
The violation wasn't microtransactions, that's fine. It was selling microtransactions that circumvented Apple's system and offering a cheaper option directly inside the game (and encouraging players to dodge the official route). Basically they had one offering through Apple's official in-app purchase system that was x amount of vbucks (or whatever) for y dollars, and then they had an in-game offer for x amount of vbucks for y-20% dollars (so Epic earned 10% more on that deal, but for players it was 20% cheaper as they didn't have to pay Apple tax). Effectively making the game into a marketplace, which is a violation of Apple (and also Google's, apparently) store policies. This was only added recently and seems to be deliberate as they had the legal proceedings ready to go as soon as it happened.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. If you want to use someone's service, you play by their rules. Google and Apple have the right to operate as they see fit within the boundaries of the law. The question is whether or not Google and Apple are breaking the law by imposing these rules.

I'm not sure about iOS, but on Android, you can easily install anything from an "unverified source" or whatever by ticking the option in Security Settings. It's no different than installing GPU-Z, which you downloaded from TechPowerUp, instead of installing it from the Microsoft Store, or whatever it's called.
While I agree on the Android side, on iOS it's completely locked down. If you want a game or app on an Apple device, you need to either jailbreak or get it directly through the App store. No sideloading. This effectively means you have two options for iOS:
  • Only release your app on jailbreak marketplaces, which is in violation of Apple's terms of service and can result in legal action against the developers. Also the audience is much smaller on jailbroken devices compared to stock.
  • Release it through the app store and have 30% of your revenue taken away
This was deliberate to send a message that Apple's system is very antitrust, which it has gotten many complains about previously.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
The company wants to fight both Apple and Google in court and make them be more developer-friendly, especially Apple.
Why is it "especially Apple"? Something is clearly missing in the OP.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. If you want to use someone's service, you play by their rules.
How about the following rule: "any small company selling stuff on amazon, needs to send its CEO to participate in annual Bezos The Great Ass Kissing Ritual"?

Laws are created around cusotmers' interests. The shit that Apple is pulling off (long term subscription cut) is very clearly against it. The "oh, but isn't it kinda legal at the moment", first, I doubt it is legal in EU, second, The Standard Oil Company was also legal, until it stopped being legal, because new laws were introduced.

Last, but not least, people siding with transnational juggernaut assholes exposed for despicable behavior is appalling. (Stockholm syndrome?)

Something else must have happened

EU is focusing on "when Apple is competing as app developer" scenario, so good luck, Epic, Telegram:

In announcing the investigations, EU Executive Vice-President Margrethe Vestager, who is in charge of enforcing the region’s competition policy, said: “Apple sets the rules for the distribution of apps to users of iPhones and iPads. It appears that Apple obtained a ‘gatekeeper’ role when it comes to the distribution of apps and content to users of Apple’s popular devices. We need to ensure that Apple’s rules do not distort competition in markets where Apple is competing with other app developers, for example with its music streaming service Apple Music or with Apple Books.”

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Meanwhile in EPIC Store - haven't logged in for weeks. Try to claim Total War:

Your account is unable to download any more free games at this time, please wait 24 hours before trying to redeem a free game again.

The game can be claimed for 24 hours. Yeah, good luck with that.

Your account is unable to download any more free games at this time
This error message means that you will need to wait at least 24 hours before being able to download any free game offers from the Epic Games Store.
You rated this article:
[NOT HELPFUL]
Thank you for your feedback!

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
How about the following rule: "any small company selling stuff on amazon, needs to send its CEO to participate in annual Bezos The Great Ass Kissing Ritual"?

Laws are created around cusotmers' interests. The shit that Apple is pulling off (long term subscription cut) is very clearly against it. The "oh, but isn't it kinda legal at the moment", first, I doubt it is legal in EU, second, The Standard Oil Company was also legal, until it stopped being legal, because new laws were introduced.

Last, but not least, people siding with transnational juggernaut assholes exposed for despicable behavior is appalling. (Stockholm syndrome?)

Don't try to twist my argument to make it out to be any more than it is. A company is allowed to operate as it sees fit, within the law of the land they're operating in. Surely the "Bezos The Great Ass Kissing Ritual" would result in all sorts of lawsuits, and rightfully so. If you don't like it, you're allowed to take action in many ways: you can vote with your wallet, start your own company, or petition to change the law. How would you feel if you were running a business and one of your partners decided to sue you because they don't like your rules?

Now, @kayjay010101 makes a good point. Evidently, you can't (easily) install things on iOS outside of their app store. You can do this easily on Android. That's not something I'm okay with as a consumer, so I guess I'm not buying an iOS device. That said, whether or not it's legal for them to do that is another question, and something for the courts to decide. If I had to guess, I'd suspect that Epic may have a valid point in court against Apple, but not Google.

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB

Came here to point out that Google has a stronger case as they can quickly point to that. Does the average consumer even have a clue how to install from an unverified source? Arguably no. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Surely the "Bezos The Great Ass Kissing Ritual" would result in all sorts of lawsuits, and rightfully so.
The "kissing" would, but "rules, made up by Bezos, to have access to amazon.com" would not, in line with your argument.

If you don't like it, you're allowed to take action in many ways
As with The Standard Oil Company, there were so many options available. Say, walking instead of buying an overpriced gas.
Or founding your own oil company.

For some reason, people decided that although it was legal, it was not OK.

whether or not it's legal for them to do that is another question, and something for the courts to decide
The point that you have completely missed is: laws are merely REFLECTION of what society deems right. We are talking about right or wrong here, and "it's right, because legal" has zero merit.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

They don't "want to" use the service, but on iOS there's no alternative.

Why is it "especially Apple"? Something is clearly missing in the OP.

See above.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor Ryzen 9 5800X
Motherboard Asrock Z570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 2 x 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3200mhz
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Toxic Radeon RX 6900 XT WC
Storage Corsair MP600 + 2xSamsung 860 Evo + Samsung 950 Pro + Others
Display(s) ROG SWIFT PG278Q
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine A5+ White
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1300W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hold on... where is the journalistic impartiality?

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
GREED. Greed never changes...

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
GREED. Greed never changes...
Honestly, everyone is free to set their own rules. And when someone else thinks those rules are not right, that's what the courts are for.

I see no drama here.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
The point that you have completely missed is: laws are merely REFLECTION of what society deems right. We are talking about right or wrong here, and "it's right, because legal" has zero merit.

Right, and the laws we have in place, which are there because society put them there, will decide whether or not it's okay for Apple and Google to operate in this way. As I mentioned, I believe they have a stronger case against Apple than Google.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Just pull everything out of those greedy sub-based money whores and run your own game, supported by the content creation industry . We don't need distributors taking large pieces of pie. GTFO, you can sit in the naughty corner with Gabe's 30% Steam cut. I don't care about shiny stores. I care about games.

Its just data. Everyone can run a server, and I applaud Epic for doing so as it is. The power of these tech giants needs to be stopped.

Public awareness is the most powerful weapon if we want to support this.
Is it really the model that's the problem or is it the user? Free game is a free game. I dont need to buy skins etc. Or can buy up to $60 worth (cost of a typical new game).

Hold on... where is the journalistic impartiality?
Good question. I'm wondering why the author's opinion was injected here. Is this an editorial or news?

Either way, par for the course. :(

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Is it really the model that's the problem or is it the user? Free game is a free game. I dont need to buy skins etc. Or can buy up to $60 worth (cost of a typical new game).

Good question. I'm wondering why the author's opinion was injected here. Is this an editorial or news?

Either way, par for the course. :(

It is clearly the model and not the user. The model is a business practice you see a lot: endlessly filled pockets of money get thrown at markets to control them completely. It warps the market and destroys fair competition, and the internet, being without boundaries, is the happy vehicle to prevent governments from any effective policy against it. The US won't, because hey, its success and any sort of ethical behaviour or ideal of equal opportunities is out the window anyway, as it has been the last years. But it is harmful to all stakeholders except the ones in the top of the tree. You know, that 1% of the wealthiest people talk about. How did a Jeff Bezos get filthy rich? Its sure as hell not just throwing packages across the world - it is because of barely paying taxes, a powerful lobby and deep, deep pockets. Its not about a good service or product. Its about just being everywhere. Tech companies love this approach. Look at Facebook. Google. Apple within its own ecosystem, Amazon. Netflix. Just-Eat. The list is long. At some point it was about some sort of sharing economy and people being their own boss using a platform. Where did that go, actually? How does that mix with a hefty sum you carry to a distribution partner that hardly has to do anything other than run some servers? And who randomly just increases the price of said service or changes policy?

The consumer masses hardly have the power anymore to do anything other than vote with their feet, but where will you go when all stickers are the same? This lobby is so deep into our systems... and its everywhere. Corruption, legalized and slowly but surely people are waking up to it. Not nearly fast enough though, and when they do, the next box of tricks has already been opened. It happens in fast food, it happens in retail, it happens in entertainment and it happens in many other places too. Multinationals are gaining power they should never have. Smaller business struggle to make ends meet. Any sort of normal entrepeneurship is basically pointless by default, you will get swallowed whole no matter what. Resident Evils' Umbrella Corp.? We're probably pretty close to it. Dystopia is just around the corner here. We're already structurally working more hours for lower total income, explain that with economies growing year over year?

This is much, much bigger than 'oh look free game'. The irony of it, the ONLY effective counter to that is what EGS is doing, which is essentially more of the same: getting lots of friends to regain control. I hope his motives are as he says they are. If not, this will kill the industry.

I'm very glad to see the recent acquisitions with THQ and how they are consolidating as independant publisher, and it underlines what I'm writing above is happening and real. (And why it is so, so incredibly important to remain a 'mobile' customer, not tied to some silly platform like Steam, when a new player arrives like EGS. Yes, I will say it again (royal you, note)).

So maybe, just maybe that also explains the lack of impartiality.

Last edited: