• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Announces the ROG PG259QN Monitor: 1080p IPS, 360 Hz, 1 ms, G-SYNC

In addition, strobe will do the same thing for a TN monitor as it does for an IPS.
No, it has to match before it can offer the same clear interval. You cannot phase in a clear section if there is none. You are assuming conclusions.
It has no weight on your statement that IPS is faster.
Emphasis to that point, still. You haven't yet invalidated mine as I'm sure you haven't noticed IPS ranks the top spot in gaming monitor lists for a while now. Blurbusters, you know?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
No, it has to match before it can offer the same clear interval. You cannot phase in a clear section if there is none. You are assuming conclusions.

Emphasis to that point, still. You haven't yet invalidated mine as I'm sure you haven't noticed IPS ranks the top spot in gaming monitor lists for a while now. Blurbusters, you know?

You invalidated your own point with the very tftcentral overviews we discussed last page. It clearly shows TN is faster even when it produces a similar overshoot rating. Not all of them, correct - just like not all IPS do. That is where the differences in quality/price come in. None of these panels were however tested with a strobe function active. So you adding that to the discussion to make your point seems... odd, to say the least.

its called grasping at straws. As is your first reply above... who cares about all of that? You can add mumbo jumbo but I do assume that if you have 120hz native you try to run a 120fps bit of content on it to test the panel's capability, no? Of course things are synced. Now you're adding phase and clock into the mix? Lol.

Next attempt is trying to pull in sales numbers to somehow make a point that IPS is faster... as if that isn't a jump to the conclusion that people buy IPS 'because its faster'... lol. Yeah... that's the only USP that IPS has, obviously :roll::roll::roll:

Just stop.

Not all of them, correct - just like not all IPS do.
You know that chart doesn't hold the exact number of reviews they tested in that method, you know? You'll have to make an effort and see for yourself.
I'm still saying I'm reserved with my claims and not throwing about baseless assumptions. In fact, you have made more mental pushes of the solid examples.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
You know that chart doesn't hold the exact number of reviews they tested in that method, you know? You'll have to make an effort and see for yourself.
I'm still saying I'm reserved with my claims and not throwing about baseless assumptions. In fact, you have made more mental pushes of the solid examples.

To each his own, keep up that diligent analysis of yours. I'm sure its going to achieve something, somehow.

To each his own, keep up that diligent analysis of yours. I'm sure its going to achieve something, somehow.
You're just hoping to punch above your weight in this matter. If I were to read reviews of your 'claims' all the time, maybe I'd give it a shot, so try writing them down sometime and not go against reviews all the time.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
You're just hoping to punch above your weight in this matter. If I were to read reviews of your 'claims' all the time, maybe I'd give it a shot, so try writing them down sometime and not go against reviews all the time.

Its not about reading reviews, its about interpreting them, and we interpret them differently. That is all. Punching above? Is it a contest? You seem keen to make it one, I don't give a damn. Half your posts is filled with lines of how fantastically well you see things and how others do not.

Note: different. In the end the optimal panel is in the eyes of the beholder anyway. But the numbers don't lie... TN still averages lower.

Its not about reading reviews, its about interpreting them, and we interpret them differently.
At a moment when you say strobe is good, but it is a fine taste, don't be such an edgelord and let others not interfere with your tastes...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
At a moment when you say strobe is good, but it is a fine taste, don't be such an edgelord and let others not interfere with your tastes...

Strobe is not part of the comparisons from tftcentral that you linked. Stop moving the goalposts every time, you're confusing only yourself.

Strobe is not part of the comparisons from tftcentral that you linked. Stop moving the goalposts every time.
Well, that is my argument to make, just as the reviews I listen to than some internet sommelier who thinks of his taste is a higher standard than everybody...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Well, that is my argument to make, just as the reviews I listen to than some internet sommelier who thinks of his taste is a higher standard than everybody...

Glad we agree its your argument and not the truth. Took three pages and two other topics for you to figure that out, apparently.

Glad we agree its your argument and not the truth. Took three pages and two other topics for you to figure that out, apparently.
That is not the case. You literally called me to step down from a high horse whereafter you said nobody would like strobing quite like you would.
That is hypocrisy, more so when you almost argued at front for strobe causing lag. At this point clutching at straws is what you do best.

You cannot hold both sides of an argument, that is what I'm saying. Either you like strobing, or you don't shun other people for liking it. You don't do both.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
That is not the case. You literally called me to step down from a high horse whereafter you said nobody would like strobing quite like you would.
That is hypocrisy, more so when you almost argued at front for strobe causing lag. At this point clutching at straws is what you do best.

You cannot hold both sides of an argument, that is what I'm saying. Either you like strobing, or you don't shun other people for liking it. You don't do both.

The high horse relates to your tone of voice until you got corrected, again and again and again until you had nowhere left to run to.

There is the possibility of admitting something and moving on. Or. don't, and keep digging... I don't mind.

The high horse relates to your tone of voice until you got corrected, again and again and again until you had nowhere left to run to.

There is the possibility of admitting something and moving on. Or. don't, and keep digging.
You see that is the problem you have with the choice in people you argue. Sorry to say, I was upfront about it. I think it is fair to say, you hold yourself at a higher pedestal whereas I don't and look at the benchmarks before making up my facts...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
making up my facts...

Hammer > Nail.

Everything I've shown you is to underline the fact that what you see in recent reviews is just a new balancing trick but the net result still hasn't changed the overall monitor landscape. IPS was on the rise prior to this development, TN has also gotten better but mostly faster, and something similar happens to VA.

Some high refresh panels do that trick right and others don't. That is what makes the difference between a green or orange overshoot block.

Some panels balance out towards a higher average G2G with zero overshoot. Others sit in some happy medium so most people won't notice. Others use strobe. But the bottom line still is that something's gonna give to achieve zero overshoot at high refresh on IPS. And its not just a box of advantages, neither is strobe. That doesn't make me an internet sommelier (lol), its calling things what they are. What YOU personally do with that information, or anyone else, that is something you're allowed to make up yourself.

TFTcentral does nothing else, really. You won't find them saying there is a perfect panel. And even the best ones have drawbacks. What matters is how you weigh them.

Point being, if YOU really like strobe and you get the experience of an overshoot-free fast IPS, power to you. Others cannot stand it and will never buy the same panel. Or they cannot afford it, as it is a feature that costs money. I personally like strobe as well, but I will not use it to advocate IPS has become faster than everything else.

Its always a choice of qualities, and there isn't a single IPS, VA or TN monitor that is perfect, either with or without strobe. Something's gonna give. Simple. Everything else is too minor to even worry about, and that is why I feel blanket statements like 'IPS is now faster than TN' are completely worthless and are also simply untrue. If an IPS is faster, it uses tricks that will show up elsewhere.

If you can't agree with that reason... we're done.

And last... about pedestals... no; I just stick to a point when I know I'm right. And I will also admit it when I get proven wrong - openly and honestly. Has happened a few times, but not here.

Last edited:
Hammer > Nail.

Everything I've shown you is to underline the fact that what you see in recent reviews is just a new balancing trick but the net result still hasn't changed the overall monitor landscape.
I think it is pointless to argue with somebody who claims he is genuine for reviews he hasn't authored. I call it a fake.

Others cannot stand it and will never buy the same panel.
High horse syndrome. Everybody can have an opinion. Quit it snowflake.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I think it is pointless to argue with somebody who claims he is genuine for reviews he hasn't authored. I call it a fake.

High horse syndrome. Everybody can have an opinion. Quit it snowflake.

I think you've moved to ad hominems because the rest was too difficult to handle ;) So again, let's drop it. For it being pointless you argue a whole lot.

I think you've moved to ad hominems because the rest was too difficult to handle ;) So again, let's drop it. For it being pointless you argue a whole lot.
How about we do it when you concede, the issue is with TN and not IPS as you are trying to spin it.
But the bottom line still is that something's gonna give to achieve zero overshoot at high refresh on IPS.
I have no points on IPS. You are just not defending TN like you are supposed to. Either take it, or leave it. I'm not making stuff up. Just go about doing the same observations. You must note it looks silly when somebody got iffy that IPS got there first. I mean, why does that bother you? You aren't even using TN(let me project somethings in your way like you do with strobe).

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
How about we do it when you concede, the issue is with TN and not IPS as you are trying to spin it.

I have no points on IPS. You are just not defending TN like you are supposed to. Either take it, or leave it. I'm not making stuff up. Just go about doing the same observations. You must note it looks silly when somebody got iffy that IPS got there first. I mean, why does that bother you? You aren't even using TN(let me project somethings in your way like you do with strobe).

I have and see no battle with either TN or IPS. I already stated that too... ;) I'm saying that all technologies come with their pros and cons and TN still has its only pro (ONLY): a slightly lower G2G and low input lag. IPS matches it on input lag but does not match it on G2G.

You're somehow trying to prove that wrong with all sorts of additional BS like strobe and what not, but each one comes with its own impact on either G2G or input lag or overall image reproduction. Its not about 'getting somewhere first'... as I said... I don't care about who gets where first. If you read those very same reviews we both are looking at (again: I think we agree here on most things...) you will find that each and every trick to balance out an IPS panel comes with a payoff somewhere else. And the panels that produce zero overshoot, are just never faster than a TN - they are slower. The two are connected and you seem not to make that connection thinking its all rainbows and unicorns. Its the same thing when you say strobe is just full of advantages - it really isn't, even if it offers a major advantage.

Defending TN, last but not least... I've never ever done that. In any monitor advice topic ever I will push people towards a fast IPS... or a VA. It is clear as day that TN is inferior in most metrics, and the only one where it is not (G2G)... the difference is negligible. What you will find me saying is that the primary influence for choosing a display type is in fact the characteristics of your own room, most notably lighting and seating conditions. These minor millisecond details only come after that.

you will find that each and every trick to balance out an IPS panel comes with a payoff somewhere else. And the panels that produce zero overshoot,
Hold on right there. It is not a balancing act to have zero overshoot. You take that for granted like it is.

Like I said, you are not putting it to rest that overshoot is the balancing act TN should avoid.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Hold on right there. It is not a balancing act to have zero overshoot. You take that for granted like it is.

Like I said, you are not putting it to rest that overshoot is the balancing act TN should avoid.

One does not exclude the other, I think. TN should avoid it just as much as IPS. But as IPS is a bit slower by principle it is easier to get overshoot under control on those panels. But the end result is still that TN has a lower G2G and IPS a bit higher. Is the overall picture quality of IPS better? I think yes, in 99% of the cases. Is IPS overall the better choice? Yes, if you don't factor in price.

But when it comes to things like motion clarity, TN tends to win, which is why it is still preferred for most shooters as the G2G response is extremely close to the virtually non existant input lag. With IPS ,the G2G is a bit slower than input lag. So you could defend TN still has a competitive edge, however insignificant. When you add strobe to an IPS panel, you gain even more motion clarity... but your input lag will suffer.

So, balancing act

But as IPS is a bit slower by principle it is easier to get overshoot under control on those panels.
This is false. If you have don't have to use lcd overdrive > you're quicker, not slower.
Overshoot=lcd overdrive.
I'm talking about factory calibrated levels, not the user levels. Try turning up and down the refresh rate to see its impact. It will normalize the faster it gets with IPS, the same doesn't happen with TN.
Now, you contemplate it a bit...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
This is false. If you have don't have to use lcd overdrive > you're quicker, not slower.
Overshoot=lcd overdrive.
I'm talking about factory calibrated levels, not the user levels. Try turning up and down the refresh rate to see its impact. It will normalize the faster it gets with IPS, the same doesn't happen with TN.
Now, you contemplate it a bit...

And that statement is why I wanted you to pick out the tftcentral review that shows this, pages ago already. Stop circling the hot pile and show us what you mean, so we can see where it falls short in other areas. Instead, you posted an avoidance and then a chart with a number of displays after being pushed.

See why we hit 3 pages and will probably move to 4?

See why we hit 3 pages and will probably move to 4?
Perhaps, if we avoided this nonsense we wouldn't. I don't claim authorship of those reviews like you do. You may leave to find out anytime, but you won't. You want to annotate which you cannot do.
You don't even stop to listen. All you want is to go over the reviews. We've been through this already. You know where to look.

Again,

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Perhaps, if we avoided this nonsense we wouldn't. I don't claim authorship of those reviews like you do. You may leave to find out anytime, but you won't. You want to annotate which you cannot do.
You don't even stop to listen. All you want is to go over the reviews. We've been through this already. You know where to look.

Again,

You're asking me to prove your point for you, which usually underlines there isn't one. If you can't show the specific perfection you speak of, its not there. I didn't find it.

When I dó find IPS monitors with 0 RTC overshoots, they all present much higher G2G refresh than a typical TN that also has no overshoot. So again... ball's in your court, whether you like it or not.

System Name Main rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700 @ 3.5 GHz/1.18750 V|SoC 0.9 V
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac |BIOS 3.80
Cooling Noctua NH-D9L
Memory 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 @ 3200/C18-18-18-36|1T /1.25 V
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC+ ACX 2.0 2 GB GDDR5
Storage 500 GB Crucial MX500|1 TB Crucial MX500|250 GB Intel 510|128 GB Netac N600S|6+2 TB WD Purple
Display(s) 2 x LG 24GM77-B @ 144 Hz, DAS on, Motion 240 off | 1 x Icy Box VESA arm @ pivot
Case Fractal Design Define Nano S (no window, 1 x Noctua A14 PWM + 1 x Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM)
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700 BTs
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless PX-500
Mouse HSK|Hati S|Hati M Ace|Skoll SK-S|Pulsar Xlite|MM710|MM730|NP-01|Viper M.|Krait|MX300|MX500 etc
Keyboard Ducky One 3 TKL |One 3 SF|One 2 Horizon|Miya Pro|Akko 3068B Plus|Huntsman TE|K70 Pro Mini WL etc
VR HMD 3xShidenkai XS|Zero Classic XS|Hien XS|Raiden XS|P-51|Turbulence Teal SE|Talent L|2xAllsop XL etc
Software MS Windows 10 Home x64
Benchmark Scores over 9000
Look, looook hereeeee they stopped to push higher resolutions because fortnite and Warzone players sticks at 1080p with a 1660 Ti or super...

Thanks thanks to all mediocre so called pro players of those two pathetic games...

Put graphics setting to LOW ( you may see players at distance sooner than others ) stick at 1080p you can be faster man so your K/D ratio will raise dude yeah thats the right way.

Indeed it is. Thank you for acknowledging this obvious fact. It would be even better if you wouldn't need an 1440p display and integer scaling for a sharp 720p picture.

I couldn't care less about Fornite and Warzone though.

Last edited: