• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA: 12-pin Connector is Here to Stay on GeForce RTX 3070

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
When NVIDIA announced its contest on Twitter for users to win a GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card, by simply re-tweeting the post tagging a friend, there was something strange in the tweet. The concept art of the RTX 3070 card used in the post was a bit off. Instead of it featuring a regular design and connectors, the RTX 3070 picture used had an 8-pin PCIe power connector to power the card. That leads many to wonder what is going on with NVIDIA's new 12-pin power connector and has the company decided to abandon it so soon. However, we got the first response to those rumors from NVIDIA spokesman for Tom's Hardware. The company has responded that "tweet used concept art only, which is being replaced." So it was a marketing mistake, which NVIDIA is aware of and is fixing, and no, the 12-pin connector is not going away anytime soon it seems.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
It'd be pretty strange to backflip now, so early in the cycle. I don't really get the fuss if I'm honest, if you buy a card with the 12-pin, it comes with the adapter, sorted. Some manufacturers are even giving you a modular cable free, and if the looks are really THAT important to you and you don't get a free cable, you could buy a modular cable, or a card that uses the 6/8 pin cables.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
It'd be pretty strange to backflip now, so early in the cycle. I don't really get the fuss if I'm honest, if you buy a card with the 12-pin, it comes with the adapter, sorted. Some manufacturers are even giving you a modular cable free, and if the looks are really THAT important to you and you don't get a free cable, you could buy a modular cable, or a card that uses the 6/8 pin cables.

Same excuses that people were making for apple using it's own proprietary charging port.

The point is you shouldn't need a special cable when 2 x 8 pin would work perfectly fine. Nvidia's 12-pin connector is a compromise YOU as the customer are making for Nvidia's design choice.

Yes, you can get one adapter free for now. What happens if you loose it? How long term is Nvidia and it's partners going to make these 12-pin adapters? What happens in the off chance that your adapter malfunctions years down the road?

Just potential extra headaches that are completely unwarranted.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Same excuses that people were making for apple using it's own proprietary charging port.

The point is you shouldn't need a special cable when 2 x 8 pin would work perfectly fine. Nvidia's 12-pin connector is a compromise YOU as the customer are making for Nvidia's design choice.

Yes, you can get one adapter free for now. What happens if you loose it? How long term is Nvidia and it's partners going to make these 12-pin adapters? What happens in the off chance that your adapter malfunctions years down the road?

Just potential extra headaches that are completely unwarranted.
isn't that 12 pin connector part of the movement trying to downsize the bulk of computers cable ? The ATX12VO ?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Or you could just buy a card from the competition and forget about all of this nonsense to begin with.

As people should. Nvidia totally misfired this timing. If they had pushed this down our throats with Turing while AMD had nothing to play with, sure. But now? This is dead until both camps move to a 12 pin.

It does fit the whole Ampere release in terms of misfiring. Not sure what drugs Huang was on, but damn.

isn't that 12 pin connector part of the movement trying to downsize the bulk of computers cable ? The ATX12VO ?

Its a strange definition of downsizing, that. I call it keeping busy

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
No worries, you still can't buy FE so problem solved.

Processor Intel core i5 4590s
Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cooling Evercool EC115A 915SP Cpu cooler,Coolermaster [200mm (front and top)+140mm rear]
Memory Corsair 16GB(4x4) ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9(Ver8.16)(XMP)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage Western Digital WDC WD2001FAS 2TB Black, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron L177WSB
Case Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) Creative A550 Speakers 5.1 channel
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex 2 Gold 650W SF-650F14EG
Mouse PLNK M-740 Optical Mouse
Keyboard ibuypower GKB100 Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Sp1 64 bit
So is the money in my wallet

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid

Can't find one for my Corsair PSU which is pretty strange. They're either never in stock or they haven't come out yet, not sure which.

It's not part of the ATX12VO specification, it's just Nvidia made up connector so it can save space on the PCB for their new cooler hole. Otherwise, PSU manufacture would not be salty when it was first reviled.

Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
I guess we should not try to ever do things better, smaller, more efficient, more innovative then, status quo for the rest of time. I don't buy the argument to never improve something because the current solution is 'fine'.
Or you could just buy a card from the competition and forget about all of this nonsense to begin with.

As people should.
So because the founders editions have the 12 pin I should.... buy AMD? Personally I bought a RTX3080 partner card for a long list of reasons, the 12 pin was not one of them.

Last edited:
I guess we should not try to ever do things better, smaller, more efficient, more innovative then, status quo for the rest of time. I don't buy the argument to never improve something because the current solution is 'fine'.

So because the founders editions have the 12 pin I should.... buy AMD? Personally I bought a RTX3080 partner card for a long list of reasons, the 12 pin was not one of them.

the picture shows the card with 8pin!

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

I'm not against downsizing the size of connectors but switching standards is always a hassle. Launching with zero power supplies supporting the standard, especially given Nvidia's size, is poor execution.

No, just don't execute poorly and make a hassle for customers. The "argument" you don't agree with is a strawman completely fabricated in your own mind. Instead of addressing the concerns I mentioned earlier, you instead decide to imply I said things I never did. Those concerns were legitimate, doing something "new" doesn't give you a free pass on doing it poorly.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
No, just don't execute poorly and make a hassle for customers. The "argument" you don't agree with is a strawman completely fabricated in your own mind. Instead of addressing the concerns I mentioned earlier, you instead decide to imply I said things I never did. Those concerns were legitimate, doing something "new" doesn't give you a free pass on doing it poorly.

I offer my apologies, I answered only a small part of your message and took it too far.

Changing something virtually always comes with hassle to some extent or another, granted I don't think they did a 'perfect' implementation of the new connector, this feels like a pretty gentle way to push it out, only a limited number of their founder only cards come with them, and hassle minimisation has been entered into with the adapter. I wouldn't think many PSU manufacturers would start making/shipping their products with the 12 pin prior to any product existing that needed it, at least not significantly ahead. I'm willing to grant you could lose the adapter, and it could malfunction, but I don't think they're significant roadblocks to starting the journey of an improved connection.

I don't think they get a free pass on doing it 'poorly', I just don't think it's really all that big of a deal.

Last edited: