• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Gives GeForce RTX 3070 the Turbo Lateral Blower Treatment

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
That's easy since there were gpu bilateral blower fans that vented out the front and back. yep found one and it's even a consumer card. hd7990 reference.
1608562145516.png

I see three axial fans. Completely bone-stock axial fans.
If you're talking about this image below, it's not a real card, it was a fan-made photoshop added to a pre-reveal leak article:
1608562368242.png

and it was just as fake as this one:
1608562464099.png

The closest I can think of is the old GTX 690 card and it's another axial fan, not a lateral/radial fan. Nvidia never made that mistake again, because it was a cooling disaster, lol.
1608562592100.png

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
> ASUS designs these cards for cases with airflow restrictions

Shower thought:

If you actually want to slap RTX 3070 into airflow restricted case, just buy a better case first.
So we should only use greater-then-midrange GPUs if we have big ATX cases with lots of fans on them? Cases like the danA4, in win bk623, silverstone FT03 and associate designs, ece, by design need blowers because they are small cases with limtied footprints and limited cooling ability. There's no reason such computers should be limited to the likes of 3060s.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
For the aviation fans out there.

You really think ASUS is only selling this to retail?

Never said that lmao. Reading comprehension is hard, isn't it?

I somehow doubt you know exactly where are they selling it to and in what form it will be used besides retail though...

So we should only use greater-then-midrange GPUs if we have big ATX cases with lots of fans on them?

No, that's not how logic works.

Cases like the danA4, in win bk623, silverstone FT03 and associate designs, ece, by design need blowers because they are small cases with limtied footprints and limited cooling ability. There's no reason such computers should be limited to the likes of 3060s.

And yes, cramming power hungry GPU into case with restricted airflow is a bad idea. You can do what you want with your hardware, doesn't make it a good idea.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Lol, show me a blower fan on a GPU that isn't lateral, until then it's superfluous.
Hold on...trying to think up something witty involving a blower and a front yard full of leaves...
lateral airflow is always superfluous, I think...

System Name Cheapskate Maximus
Processor Xeon W3680 @ 3.99Ghz [133x30] [1.375v]
Motherboard HP Z400 Rev 2
Cooling Alpenfohn Brocken v1
Memory 3 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX570 Nitro+
Storage 240GB WD SSD, 6 x 2TB HDD
Display(s) 27" iiyama XB2783HSU AMVA+
Case AeroCool
Power Supply HP 600w Bronze (Delta)
Keyboard Gots keys
Software W10 x64
Hold on...trying to think up something witty involving a blower and a front yard full of leaves...
lateral airflow is always superfluous, I think...

If you want to blow leaves, get hold of an old FX5800 dustbuster, perfect for the job. :laugh:

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
No, that's not how logic works.

And yes, cramming power hungry GPU into case with restricted airflow is a bad idea. You can do what you want with your hardware, doesn't make it a good idea.
It's not a bad idea when you have teh appropriate cooler, like say, a BLOWER. With a BLOWER, a high TDP GPU can be used in small restrictive cases without issue. Shocking I know.

It's not a bad idea when you have teh appropriate cooler, like say, a BLOWER. With a BLOWER, a high TDP GPU can be used in small restrictive cases without issue. Shocking I know.

Or you could've, you know, bought less restrictive case, and be able to comfortably use quieter card.

Shocking, I know.

BTW you are the one bringing up "small" (unlike newspiece, and myself up to this comment) repeatedly, so it needs to be addressed, that originally it was just about "airflow restricted" cases and there is no equivalency between case having modest footprint and poor airflow. Nevermind that such small case may not even fit it in the first place, making whole OT moot anyways.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I disagree "lateral" is declaring the direction of airflow, so it's use isn't unwarranted.
IMO radial is a better wording (combined with traditional/non-blower fans being axial). One type of fan directs airflow along its axis of rotation, the other along its radius. Simple and relatively self-explanatory. Lateral is okay as a term, but given that there's no applicable matching term for other types of fans it's not the best designation.
Lol, show me a blower fan on a GPU that isn't lateral, until then it's superfluous.
Technically any fan is a "blower", in that it blows air, so ... yes, the term is used colloquially (at least in the PC space) to denominate radial/lateral fans, but it doesn't really mean anything at all.

this gpu will most likely make its way to pre built systems.
Or in systems for people who want the heat blown out of the case and are not bothered by noise.

ASUS today rolled out the GeForce RTX 3070 Turbo graphics card. Given that the company built lateral-airflow coolers for even the 350 W RTX 3090, such a card based on the RTX 3070 should come as little surprise. ASUS designs these cards for cases with airflow restrictions. The card is strictly 2 slots thick and full-height. It uses a lateral blower-type cooling solution that uses a vapor-chamber plate and a copper channel-type heatsink; and a lateral fan that uses double-ball bearing. The card draws power from a pair of 8-pin PCIe power connectors located along the tail end, rather than on the top.
Now if they'd only make one of these in white...

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Technically any fan is a "blower", in that it blows air, so ... yes, the term is used colloquially (at least in the PC space) to denominate radial/lateral fans, but it doesn't really mean anything at all.
I'll agree with Radial being the better designation for "blower" fans, but literally the majority of fans in use now on GPUs are lateral, ie side mounted, with the odd exception.
Perhaps they could increase the size of the fan to increase it's cooling benefits, much like the old Ice-Q designs.
I'm not sure if Lex is being sarcastic but white would be nice too for these, I believe Asus has made a white Radial fan GPU in the past.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
the majority of fans in use now on GPUs are lateral, ie side mounted, with the odd exception.
You are trolling, right?

side/edge/top/bottom are all utterly meaningless words these days - upright tower cases have vertical GPU mounts or horizontal mounts. SFFs sometimes flip the GPU upside down, or hang it from the roof. I think there are twelve orthogonal orientations possible for a GPU, that's four 90-degree rotations around three axes - good luck trying to work out what face is the 'side' instead of the front, back, top, or bottom. :p

In all seriousness, when it comes to fans, there are fans that blow along their axis of rotation and fans that blow away from the their axis of rotation. Either direction could be "lateral" depending on the direction of heatsink vanes and which way is parallel to the floor in the specific GPU/Case combination in question. In case I need to explain etymology, lateral literally means 'sideways' and since you can talk about both an axial fan and radial fan in orientations such that the airflow is 'sideways', it's pretty damn clear that 'lateral' isn't really a word that should be used with fans, ever, because it's completely ambiguous and open-ended in its interpretation; That's literally why we call them axial and radial.

It's as oxymoronic as 'falling sideways'.

Last edited:
Is this card semi passive?
I can’t find any reviews or details.
As it is a RTX 3000 series it should have a 0 db mode , but at the same time using a radial blower style fan it may not
Does anyone here know?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Is this card semi passive?
I can’t find any reviews or details.
As it is a RTX 3000 series it should have a 0 db mode , but at the same time using a radial blower style fan it may not
Does anyone here know?
No. These blower-style cards require the fan to run all the time because it's not an open heatsink that works passively.

I've used third party software to test cards like this in idle-fan-stop or 0dB modes and they rapidly heat up without the fan spinning because the completely enclosed shroud means that even the low amount of heat produced at idle has nowhere to go.

No. These blower-style cards require the fan to run all the time because it's not an open heatsink that works passively.

I've used third party software to test cards like this in idle-fan-stop or 0dB modes and they rapidly heat up without the fan spinning because the completely enclosed shroud means that even the low amount of heat produced at idle has nowhere to go.

Thank you Chrispy for making that clear.

Would you say that even in a case with 90 degree motherboard rotation (like silverstone Fortress) and positive case pressure that semi passive mode on a gpu using radial fan is a bad idea?

By the way, what is your preferred software to control a radial gpu fan?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Thank you Chrispy for making that clear.

Would you say that even in a case with 90 degree motherboard rotation (like silverstone Fortress) and positive case pressure that semi passive mode on a gpu using radial fan is a bad idea?

By the way, what is your preferred software to control a radial gpu fan?
Maybe it would work. I don't think you'd feel much air coming out of the expansion slot cover, so I doubt it would do very much.. Air always takes the path of least resistance and the squirrel-cage fan and long heatsink of a blower card are going to be like an impenetrable dam compared to the rest of the well-ventilated case. Passive cooling on a big open heatsink works because the heatsink fins are short in the direction that's open to case airflow; Hot air in contact with the fin surface only has to convect itself a tiny distance of half an inch or so before it is free to to get swept away by the case airflow. The heatsinks in a blower card are 10-20 times further away from case airflow, so you're only going to be using convection for 1/10th-1/20th of the heatsink.

You can't usually enable 0-rpm modes on cards that don't allow it - you have to BIOS edit or find a compatible BIOS from a card that has it and that's getting harder every generation.
For a 3070 fan control, I'd use MSI afterburner.