• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Ultimate Zen: AMD's Zen 3 Achieves 89% Higher Performance Than First-generation Zen

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Are people actually buying this crap? TPU had the the 2700x as 6% better in gaming at 720p and that number decreases as you increase the resolution. TPU has the 3800x 13% better at 720p gaming than the 2700x. I'm not knocking the improvements but lets use some reality here.
Why everything has to be about gaming only? Nobody in a right state of mind would measure IPC only by gaming performance. The reality here is that the numbers you see here are based on a suite of benchmarks not just gaming.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Zen arch was good in the 1st iteration but its main advantage was the path it was set on with great scalability and improvements for at least 3-4 gens. Compatibility of AM4 platform was a big thing for consumers also. TSMC manufacturing progress helped a lot for sure but AMD's engineering teams did a great job.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Too bad they’re leaving their fanboys in the slums with their nonstop price hikes.

Nonstop price hikes? The 1800x debuted at $500....the 5800x debuted at $450....and from zen1 to Zen2 the prices went down... what are you talking about, I'm seriously asking

Are people actually buying this crap? TPU had the the 2700x as 6% better in gaming at 720p and that number decreases as you increase the resolution. TPU has the 3800x 13% better at 720p gaming than the 2700x. I'm not knocking the improvements but lets use some reality here.

Hmmmm, some travel back in time is required... Back when Zen1 was introduced, Intel had like 90% market share and virtually everything was optimized for their CPUs. Games, software, benchmarks - you name it.

To be honest, optimization for something like Bulldozer or Piledriver was, well, stupid.

Times had changed, and now AMD sells more new CPUs (or one-before-new) than Intel does. Everything is optimized for both. The same set of tests, *if* the mentioned piece of software was still updated and optimized, will result in different numbers if repeated today.

Much the same goes for games, they are mostly NVIDIA-optimized at top level - which may change, too.

Apart from that, "final and deciding parameter" - of course, "the gaming crown" is such a ridiculous measurement - done at Ultra settings which serve for reducing speed and mostly nothing else and at the resolution which is already outdated, and does hundreds of FPS. Really useful.

Anyhow, regarding reality - things change, new firmwares, new drivers, new software optimization, Windows itself...

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Nonstop price hikes? The 1800x debuted at $500....the 5800x debuted at $450....and from zen1 to Zen2 the prices went down... what are you talking about, I'm seriously asking
Nobody really bought 1800X. 1700 ($329) or 1700X ($399) was where it was at.
Zen+ was the one with good prices - 2700 ($299) and 2700X ($329).
Zen2 went backwards - 3700X ($329) and 3800X ($399).
Zen3 brought another price bump - 5800X ($449).

With clocks under load being somewhat variable and TDP a moving target, fixed-clock IPC tests paint a better picture of architectural progress. Sweclockers for example:
Yeah, it's pretty awesome, but also badly needed to stay competitive. Anyone can compare the statistics to Intel's advances in same time, number of generations, node progress?
What progress? End of 2018 brought 9900K and with little to no architectural changes 9900K/10700K are a pretty fixed target for most of this timeframe.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Why everything has to be about gaming only? Nobody in a right state of mind would measure IPC only by gaming performance
I don't know why ask AMD as they literally post it in their slide.

Hmmmm, some travel back in time is required... Back when Zen1 was introduced, Intel had like 90% market share and virtually everything was optimized for their CPUs. Games, software, benchmarks - you name it.

To be honest, optimization for something like Bulldozer or Piledriver was, well, stupid.

Times had changed, and now AMD sells more new CPUs (or one-before-new) than Intel does. Everything is optimized for both. The same set of tests, *if* the mentioned piece of software was still updated and optimized, will result in different numbers if repeated today.

Much the same goes for games, they are mostly NVIDIA-optimized at top level - which may change, too.

Apart from that, "final and deciding parameter" - of course, "the gaming crown" is such a ridiculous measurement - done at Ultra settings which serve for reducing speed and mostly nothing else and at the resolution which is already outdated, and does hundreds of FPS. Really useful.

Anyhow, regarding reality - things change, new firmwares, new drivers, new software optimization, Windows itself...
Your time machine is broken as Intel's share was never that high, it peaked at just over 80% and looking at modern games like cyberpunk and valhalla those initial ryzen performance haven't changed over time so you may want to change your incorrect theory to something more accurate supported by facts.

yes, because when you increasing resolution, its become more gpu bound and useless as CPU bechmark.
Thank you captain obvious for repeating what I just stated in my original post.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
That was a rhetorical question but oh well.
Amd is probably clinging to the fact that past gens Ryzen CPUs weren't good for gaming but this has improved for sure.

Case fancier than yours
Amd is probably clinging to the fact that past gens Ryzen CPUs weren't good for gaming but this has improved for sure.
There is no argument there but the slide makes it look like one steady progression after another

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz @ 3733 tight timings
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Khadas Tone Pro 2, HD660s, KSC75, JBL 305 MK1
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 Gold V2
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Dogshit with Otemu Brown
Software W10 LTSC 2021
doesnt sound right to me but whatever

Why everything has to be about gaming only? Nobody in a right state of mind would measure IPC only by gaming performance. The reality here is that the numbers you see here are based on a suite of benchmarks not just gaming.
True. However, gaming performance very often translates directly to non-gaming tasks. Also consider that many review sites do non-gaming testing on CPU's being reviewed, like TPU.

Nobody really bought 1800X
Total nonsense! I sold a ton of them. Not everyone whats to OC. In fact most users what a system to run well in a stock config. So yeah, rubbish statement.

1700 ($329) or 1700X ($399) was where it was at.
Zen+ was the one with good prices - 2700 ($299) and 2700X ($329).
Zen2 went backwards - 3700X ($329) and 3800X ($399).
Zen3 brought another price bump - 5800X ($449).
Not sure where you're quoting those prices, but they're not on par with the prices I've seen and dealt with. But that is in the USA, you region might be different.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
True. However, gaming performance very often translates directly to non-gaming tasks. Also consider that many review sites do non-gaming testing on CPU's being reviewed, like TPU.
Is that true? Because how I see it the processors power depends on so many things and if you put a GPU into that equation then the CPU gets screwed up and the processing power of the processor is skewed. Like with the low high resolution of a game. Some games run better on one CPU and don't run well on others. I mean you can see the difference. Games' coding sometimes it runs better on the one CPU that's considered weaker. I think games are not exactly a good indicator of how good a CPU is. They show some stuff but there is too many things that can skew the results or at least, don't show the actual picture. I mean, if you measure CPU performance you need to get other stuff, like GPU at least out of the equation.

Is that true?
Absolutely!
Because how I see it the processors power depends on so many things and if you put a GPU into that equation then the CPU gets screwed up and the processing power of the processor is skewed.
Not at all. One does not slow down or tax the other just for being next to each other in the same system.
Some games run better on one CPU and don't run well on others. I mean you can see the difference.
While that's true, there is a limit to how great that difference will be. If you take an Intel multi-threaded 8core CPU and compare it to an AMD multi-threaded 8core CPU, there will of course be differences based on what tasks you throw at it, but they will be in each others neighborhood of performance. What makes one more appealing to any given user is which one excels at what and how much each cost in relation to each other. Determining value is highly subjective and depends greatly in individual needs and plans. There is a reason why the common advice in the industry is if you need a power-house PC for power-user type tasks, buy a high-end gaming rig and fill it with storage drives because you will then have your power-house system.

What makes Ryzen so great right now is that they have the performance advantage as well as the price advantage. This makes Ryzen an excellent value for a great many ATM. However, Intel still has the absolute performance crown because Core i9 & Xeon CPUs can OC like mad without a lot of fidgeting required, which is why i9 and Xeon CPU's are used by everyone for benchmarking and are still the preferred choice for gamers who can spend the money.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Not sure where you're quoting those prices, but they're not on par with the prices I've seen and dealt with. But that is in the USA, you region might be different.
MSRPs. They have been selling for prices close to that for at least first half of the lifetime.

Case fancier than yours
This chart shows how little improvement zen + was to zen architecture.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
This chart shows how little improvement zen + was to zen architecture.

True but it was not considered new gen Ryzen but an update to 1st gen called Ryzen+.
If you consider 1st gen Ryzen and 3000 series which in fact is a 2nd gen Ryzen, the increase in performance is substantial.

What I would like to know is, what's the difference at 1440p but preferably 4k for the Ryzen+ 2700x vs 5800x (if any noticeable) and how will it look like with future games. 1080p for me is too low of a resolution to be honest. I don't want to upgrade my 2700x if there will be no difference playing at 4k or 1440p. From what I see in the reviews of the 5800x the difference between 2700x and 5800x is like nothing. I seriously doubt that this will change in the near future but who knows.

Case fancier than yours
True but it was not considered new gen Ryzen but an update to 1st gen called Ryzen+.
If you consider 1st gen Ryzen and 3000 series which in fact is a 2nd gen Ryzen, the increase in performance is substantial.
I'm not considering anything but what AMD posted on their slide.

Your time machine is broken as Intel's share was never that high, it peaked at just over 80% and looking at modern games like cyberpunk and valhalla those initial ryzen performance haven't changed over time so you may want to change your incorrect theory to something more accurate supported by facts.

Thank you captain obvious for repeating what I just stated in my original post.

You, like, have a problem with everything and everybody? Do you ever read what other people say, hell, do you ever read what *you* say? You're a really unpleasant person which brings nothing to discussion and insults everyone. I don't intend to answer you, you know?

Case fancier than yours
You, like, have a problem with everything and everybody? Do you ever read what other people say, hell, do you ever read what *you* say? You're a really unpleasant person which brings nothing to discussion and insults everyone. I don't intend to answer you, you know?
2018-santa-snow-animation-waving.gif