• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EU Signs Declaration for 2 nm Node and Custom Processor Development

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
European Union has today processed a declaration that was signed by 17 member states about the development of a 2 nm semiconductor node and an advanced low-power processor. The declaration signed today proposes that the EU puts away 145 billion Euros for the development of the technologies needed to manufacture a 2 nm semiconductor manufacturing process, along with the development of a custom, low-power embedded processor designed for industrial applications. The 17 member countries include Belgium, France, Germany, Croatia, Estonia, Italy, Greece, Malta, Spain, The Netherlands, Portugal, Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, Romania, Finland, and Cyprus. All of the countries listed are going to join the development of these technologies and will have the funds to do it over the next 2-3 years.

EU Declaration said:
To ensure Europe's technology sovereignty and competitiveness, as well as our capacity to address key environmental and societal challenges and new emerging mass markets, we need to strengthen Europe's capacity to develop the next generation of processors and semiconductors. This includes chips and embedded systems that offer the best performance for specific applications across a wide range of sectors as well as leading-edge manufacturing progressively advancing towards 2 nm nodes for processor technology. Using connectivity, where Europe enjoys global lead, as a major use case driver for developing such capacity enables Europe to set the right level of ambition. This will require a collective effort to pool investment and to coordinate actions, by both public and private stakeholders.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Yeah if only signing declarations would have helped any dreams come true

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
I'm having a deja vu, as if I've seen such a headline before. EU and individual members talk the talk but it seems that no work's been done on that front. UK has ARM but the government never capitalized on it, plus the whole Brexit thing. Russia's been talking about developing their own microelectronics development infrastructure for years yet has nothing to show for it. China's the only country other than the US that has actual footing in this game so far. Intel's Israel site is another point of interest as it is backed by the Israel government.

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asrock Taichi x370
Cooling Thermalright True Spirit 140
Memory Patriot 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 10gb
Storage Too many to count
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic prime 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
That money will be stolen and nothing will be done! I'm from europe, they are all corupt and this kind of scheme is all too well known.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
2nm? and we can expect some performance on lower wattage

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard B550 Aorus PRO V2
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
Memory Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Trio X
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME/Supertalent Teranova 2x1TB
Display(s) Acer XV340CK
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G513 Tactile
Software Windows 10 Pro
So tax money funding development for private companies who will make all the profit, outsource labor to Asia and increase prices by 20% because "they lost power for 40 minutes".

System Name Desktop / Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5600x / Intel i5-4200U
Motherboard ASUS TUF B550-Plus / Lenovo MB
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / Stock
Memory Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR 3800 / 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6900XT / Intel HD 4400
Storage 2.5TB SSDs + 4TB HDD / Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Display(s) 34" LG Ultrawide / 12.5 " 1080p IPS Touchscreen
Case Fractal Design R6 / Lenovo X240
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Enermax REVOLUTION87+ 1000W / Lenovo 40W
Mouse Razer Basilisk X
Keyboard Dell Business Multimedia Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Chicken Invaders 5 @125+ FPS
They have Mikron which has 65nm, Angstrom with 90nm and GS Nanotech which has as low as 45nm or whichever. I know Roselectronics along with MCST and others have been wanting Ministry of Industry and Trade to do 16nm but they rely on that to be through TSMC for now.

IMEC, an R&D organization, has EUV and apparently Intel is also planning to have a EUV fab in Ireland.

Now I know that the lithography tech can come from Denmark and France but it all really depends on the needs, wants and the reality of cost and if it will ever pay off.

The biggest lithography machine producer is in the Netherlands so technology wise should not be an issue. Cost of building and running a fab is a whole different story thou

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
IMEC, an R&D organization, has EUV and apparently Intel is also planning to have a EUV fab in Ireland.

The biggest lithography machine producer is in the Netherlands so technology wise should not be an issue. Cost of building and running a fab is a whole different story thou

I deleted my post with reason that I was being a bit offtopic. But yeah, I know the lithography tech as I stated is in the EU. But the EU market for what they are producing (processors for government servers and such) isn't large enough for the specific processors I believe. Unless they hope to get other companies involved and become the next "TSMC". But I highly doubt it as the cost will be high.

We will see.

Already Intel's Hedge fund managers are asking Intel to go fabless....

I'm having a deja vu, as if I've seen such a headline before. EU and individual members talk the talk but it seems that no work's been done on that front. UK has ARM but the government never capitalized on it, plus the whole Brexit thing. Russia's been talking about developing their own microelectronics development infrastructure for years yet has nothing to show for it. China's the only country other than the US that has actual footing in this game so far. Intel's Israel site is another point of interest as it is backed by the Israel government.

Russia has 3 FAB's. 2 in Zelenograd (90nm and 65nm) and 1 in Kaliningrad (GS Nanotech that does upwards to 45nm so they say). They have very specific tasks/needs with Mikron's 65nm is specific to producing Elbrus 4SM and Elbrus 1 while also making RFID tech, and Angstrom's 90nm for Elbrus 2SM which is used for military applications as Elbrus 4SM is for government applications. GS Nanotech is for making SoC for top boxes and what not. The Market isn't big enough to warrant a 16nm plant to be honest as majority of the chips made are for government and Military. Cell phone sales are large but only at about 7m a year tops and opening a plant to produce modern 16nm or lower processors for mobile market, it will take a long time or never for that plant to pay off.

But many (Rostec and AFK Sistema) have been trying to get Ministry of Industry and trade to invest in 28nm or less facility for a few years now. But the ministry is stating that the market demand isn't high enough to warrant such a large investment.

Last edited:

Basicly, the EU is burning tax money on daily basis, collected from all member states and such, to create these money absorbing projects, on which usually nothing really competitive comes out at the end. I mean i bet in 10 years we're still reliant on US hardware. And the f.. 2nm.. TSCM has more experience with 7nm and such and here comes the EU with such a ambitious project "2nm" that most of the manufacturers did'nt do before. Sorry but the EU has bin and will be a money grabbing non-democratic thing which imposes idiotic rules to memberstates revoking it's complete democratic abilities.

Country's within the EU are better off without the EU as a whole.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I seem to recall that the EU was saying this year that they wanted to do a 5nm plant. So I take it they saw that TSMC wanted to do 3nm so they thought "yeah, well, we will do 2nm!" and hence came up with a declaration?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The EU declares a lot of things. :laugh:

So, basically, they are raising taxes on all EU citizens, to give money to companies to create a market.
It's like giving money to a company for free, nice.

Inject that much money will only make rich people richer, and poor people even more poor than before.

Gonna bet that all the money will go to some company inside Germany or their little brother Belgium. Most of those schemes are just there so that Germany can have an excuse to collect money from all other countries in E.U.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
so they'll invest in ASML most likely.....

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
That money will be stolen and nothing will be done! I'm from europe, they are all corupt and this kind of scheme is all too well known.

I'm from Europe too, and as member nation we own the key technology to push the cutting edge of lithography machines and are key supplier for TSMC among others.

Europe's big and with a bit of luck we're pushing the truly corrupt states out of the equation. Two of them are currently on a good path to helping themselves out in that sense and one's already gone, after many decades of stalling. What's left will probably still be corrupt, though :) But you can't catch wolves with sheep.

No need I think. What we need is the actual fab capacity, not the machinery inside it. And that requires manpower most of all. The technology isn't the issue, the braindrain is. For decades now big tech has been growing in the US, in Asia... but not in Europe. All we thought about was how to start swinging the banhammer at all the things that have evolved in directions we don't like, so we come with stuff like GDPR.

I really hope this agreement is a stepping stone to a broad movement that lasts, and isn't just another engine for the German economy, because it does seem a lot of the recent stuff is directed that way.

I seem to recall that the EU was saying this year that they wanted to do a 5nm plant. So I take it they saw that TSMC wanted to do 3nm so they thought "yeah, well, we will do 2nm!" and hence came up with a declaration?

5 - 3 = 2, the math checks out!

Last edited:
What we need is the actual fab capacity, not the machinery inside it.
In EU has fabs for chips? CPU's, GPU's, chipsets, fabs for PCB's, for assembling motherboards, for assembling graphic cards? With very large capacity of production? Where, who is?

It's SM only for Europeans :D We know that for 40 years+ now
It's like Europe is giving money to farmers to produce more, and then get ripped off by huge groups like Lactalis

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So tax money funding development for private companies who will make all the profit, outsource labor to Asia and increase prices by 20% because "they lost power for 40 minutes".

Kind of my thoughts too... also Finland's universal healthcare system is struggling to stay financially in-tact my friends that live there tell me... and they have had two government resignations due to being unable to fund healthcare... yet they can afford to contribute to this? mmmk....