• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fry's Electronics to Shut Down All Operations, Adds to Brick-and-Mortar Woes in the USA

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Fry's Electronics, Inc. (or simply Fry's as is more popularly referred to) ripped off the band-aid from its ailing operations in the USA today. The 36-year old company was a Silicon Valley original, and went full-time into the PC market as a retailer shortly after giving up its grocery business dreams. The company had been struggling for a while now, with yours truly having never once bought from any of their stores despite having lived in a city that housed so many, and clearly too many, of them. The brand had quickly become associated with outdated and overly expensive hardware, and unfortunately today's news was due to happen sooner than later. We wish all employees a quick rebound, and look out for wind-down sales from the company as it attempts to satisfy creditors and stakeholders.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Not a lot of woes really place has been in steady decline way before covid hit this was just the last straw that broke their backs.

Themed stores, like arcades, were always fun to visit. But just like FAO Schwarz and Toy R Us, it gradually shifted towards clean, "professional" looks, and in recent years, online shopping conveniences.

That being said, I feel a themed grocery store would have been pretty interesting, complete with a cafeteria/restaurant like some larger grocery stores have. Too bad that fizzled too.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix B450-I
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock TF 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800
Storage 480GB MyDigitalSSD NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X
Power Supply 850w
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 5
Loved going there years ago but stopped when they were always out of anything good.

Kinda reminds me of a Big Bang Theory quote: "You know, they have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season till we were grateful it ended."

Fry's is the Heroes of the retail world.

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
Hi,
Not a lot of woes really place has been in steady decline way before covid hit this was just the last straw that broke their backs.
Yeah. It used to be the go-to place for PC hardware for me but that hasn't been the case in years, and it's true for the other geeks I know as well. Not only can you regularly find better deals online, but Micro Center has better deals in their B&M stores, and hell, even Best Buy often has better deals. And I think anyone who has ever shopped at Fry's knows just how awful the customer service/sales reps could be. It was always a rare occurrence when you got someone who was truly helpful/knowledgeable.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I don’t live anywhere near a Fryes anymore. I did buy an Athlon XP and motherboard from them when I lived in San Diego a rather long time ago.

I don’t know if it was a management issue that led to the decline, or what, but the Microcenter in my area has not struggled for business, even with COVID. My last trip there had a long line at checkout, on a weeknight. They do better than Best Buy it would seem.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
And here I am thinking that I'm lucky I have a Microcenter within half an hour of my house in good highway traffic. I wonder what keeps Best Buy alive.

Fry's has been going down for a while now, it's just now that the final nail has been pounded into the coffin.

System Name Little Girl
Processor Intel Q9650 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte x48 DQ6
Cooling liquid cooling
Memory 4gb (2x2) OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD6950 unlock to Asus 6970 specs
Storage Crucial CT128M225 128gb SSD
Display(s) Acer 27" LCD @ 2048x1152
Case DIY (spit & glue, ducktape, cardboard)
Audio Device(s) On-board HD Audio
Power Supply ABS Tagan 850w
Software Win7 64bit
See this coming for many years. Suck to see them go. It used to be the place I want to spend hrs at. I remember in the 90s where we stand in-line just to play a game demo.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I don't do as much online shopping anymore. I'm glad brick & mortar stores still exist...
Me too. I like to see the product these days. All the pictures and reviews mean nothing compared to personally seeing the product.

For me, having a Microcenter is amazing. I can walk in and ask questions and the salespeople at my local store are very knowledgeable. I asked a lot of questions regarding monitors even though I had done a lot of homework ahead of going into the store, but it was the salespeople and seeing the product that really convinced me that that monitor was the best choice. I bought it, took it home, hooked up, and I was blown away.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Me too. I like to see the product these days. All the pictures and reviews mean nothing compared to personally seeing the product.

For me, having a Microcenter is amazing. I can walk in and ask questions and the salespeople at my local store are very knowledgeable. I asked a lot of questions regarding monitors even though I had done a lot of homework ahead of going into the store, but it was the salespeople and seeing the product that really convinced me that that monitor was the best choice. I bought it, took it home, hooked up, and I was blown away.
It must be something either in training, or just that they manage to hire passionate employees. My local store is the same way. I’ve listened in on many sales interactions, and they don’t even try to upsell. The recommendations I hear them make are pretty much what I would have recommended if it was the same question in a forum. So I’ll tell my friends to go there for a purchase because they should be treated well. When you can build that kind of trust, you don’t need to upsell, because not only do the customers come back, but they probably come back more often.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
It must be something either in training, or just that they manage to hire passionate employees. My local store is the same way. I’ve listened in on many sales interactions, and they don’t even try to upsell. The recommendations I hear them make are pretty much what I would have recommended if it was the same question in a forum. So I’ll tell my friends to go there for a purchase because they should be treated well. When you can build that kind of trust, you don’t need to upsell, because not only do the customers come back, but they probably come back more often.
I have a feeling that that's why Microcenter is still around. Trust. Once you have it, they keep coming back. Lose it and you end up like Fry's. Let's hope that Microcenter doesn't go down the same path that Fry's went.

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
Gonna miss their weekly deals, they had some crazy deals sometimes on A/V equipment. So crazy they couldn't even tell you what you were buying until it arrived, but it was usually possible to pinpoint the exact make/model by the specs so you know what you're getting anyway.

It is difficult for a brick and mortar store to compete against the likes of Amazon and Newegg which has minimal store front. COVID basically accelerated the death of most brick and mortar stores last year due to lockdowns almost globally. Its not that they cannot survive, but they will need to consolidate at some point. There will always be people that would prefer to have a look at feel of the product before they buy, so I feel there will always be demand for brick and mortar stores.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
It is difficult for a brick-and-mortar store to compete against the likes of Amazon and Newegg which has minimal store front.
I don't know man, I still want to actually see the product that I'm buying. And we're not even talking how if you buy something from Amazon you have no idea if you're going to get the real product or if it's been a returned product that was replaced with a brick (yeah, this happened to some people). And then you have Newegg that as soon as it was bought by some Chinese company the trustworthiness of the site went down the toilet and many people have many horror stories.

I don't know man, I still want to actually see the product that I'm buying. And we're not even talking how if you buy something from Amazon you have no idea if you're going to get the real product or if it's been a returned product that was replaced with a brick (yeah, this happened to some people). And then you have Newegg that as soon as it was bought by some Chinese company the trustworthiness of the site went down the toilet and many people have many horror stories.
Exactly this. If I know what I'm buying, then I'm ok buying it online. However, if I'm shopping for something new and I'm not familiar with the product, nothing beats a physical store to go to to see up close and personal what a product has to offer.

System Name The Sparing-No-Expense Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Wifi II
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black
Memory 32GB: 2x16GB Patriot Viper Steel 3600MHz C18
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3060Ti Founder's Edition
Storage 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) AOC C24G1 144Hz 24" 1080p Monitor
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Power Supply Seasonic X-650 Gold PSU (SS-650KM3)
Software Windows 11 Home 64-bit
This is just survival of the fittest. Especially since the beginning of the COVID-19 new normal.
End of an era... :(
We're already living in a new era since the start of last year.

I always felt bad walking out of a Fry's empty handed. Good night, sweet prince.

Surprised it didn't close 2 years ago, it was on it's heals before COVID. Maybe it actually helped them stick around by closing stores and not having to pay for as many people, but it was never gonna work out.

Hmm, I thought they folded awhile back. Oh well just another nail in the coffin, for BnM stores, designed by M/s Bezos & Co.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
It is difficult for a brick and mortar store to compete against the likes of Amazon and Newegg which has minimal store front. COVID basically accelerated the death of most brick and mortar stores last year due to lockdowns almost globally. Its not that they cannot survive, but they will need to consolidate at some point. There will always be people that would prefer to have a look at feel of the product before they buy, so I feel there will always be demand for brick and mortar stores.
Canada Computers seems to be doing pretty good in my neigbourhood.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
They only stocked stuff that wouldn't sell online, I stopped checking in store for things. They had a convenient deli though.