• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BioWare & EA Cancel Development of Anthem NEXT

In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we've made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today. Since Anthem's launch, the team has been working hard to continually improve the game, releasing multiple updates that brought with them a variety of improvements and introduced new content to play. Towards the end of 2019 we expanded on that effort and started working on a more fundamental restructure of the game.

During the development we've provided updates revealing some of the team's work through blog posts and conversations with you on social media and it's been inspiring for us to see the positive reactions and feedback. I've been incredibly proud of the work the team has been doing, and excited to see and play each new build of the experience.

2020 was a year unlike any other however and while we continue to make progress against all our game projects at BioWare, working from home during the pandemic has had an impact on our productivity and not everything we had planned as a studio before COVID-19 can be accomplished without putting undue stress on our teams.

I know this will be disappointing to the community of Anthem players who have been excited to see the improvements we've been working on. It's also disappointing for the team who were doing brilliant work. And for me personally, Anthem is what brought me to BioWare, and the last two years have been some of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my career.

Game development is hard. Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

To the Anthem community, thank you for your passion and creativity. Your feedback and suggestions most certainly help shape the team's direction, and on a personal note, your kindness and encouragement were much needed last year.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

So much for being a Destiny-killer. What updates? The game hardly got any of them. It's deader than ever the last time I logged on. While it had potential, it's probably better served being iced like Mass Effect, until they can really get a proper and dedicated team to actually do justice with the concept. The most unintentionally hilarious bit about Anthem is that all of the lore about the World Tuners just abandoning their creation (the world of Anthem) effectively represent the game devs, even if it doesn't seem intentional.

So much for being a Destiny-killer. What updates? The game hardly got any of them. It's deader than ever the last time I logged on. While it had potential, it's probably better served being iced like Mass Effect, until they can really get a proper and dedicated team to actually do justice with the concept. The most unintentionally hilarious bit about Anthem is that all of the lore about the World Tuners just abandoning their creation (the world of Anthem) effectively represent the game devs, even if it doesn't seem intentional.

The problem is the 2.0 team didn't even release any updates at all within a year. If you can't fix your game at all in 12 months, time to give up. Switch to Unreal 5 and make a Mass Effect game instead. Frostbite seems to have been a disaster for Bioware.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
it is pretty sad when big companies like this cant get something to work

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
it is pretty sad when big companies like this cant get something to work

Being big makes it harder to get it working (whatever that means).

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Frostbite seems to have been a disaster for Bioware.

Im sure it was management at EA who were pushing them to use it, I mean thats how we got broken games like ME: Andromeda and some of the FIFA games where players on the pitch are all glitching out.

System Name THU
Processor Intel Core i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P D4
Cooling SilentiumPC Fortis 3 v2 + Arctic Cooling MX-2
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (dual rank)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ventus 3X OC 12 GB GDDR6X (2610/21000 @ 0.91 V)
Storage Lexar NM790 2 TB + Corsair MP510 960 GB + PNY XLR8 CS3030 500 GB + Toshiba E300 3 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C8 55" + ASUS VP229Q
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V381 + Monitor Audio Bronze 6 + Bronze FX | FiiO E10K-TC + Sony MDR-7506
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Logitech M705 Marathon
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks in 2024?
EA was one of the worst gaming companies of the last decade, and they are starting the new decade with a bang. There will come a day when they will only publish games like FIFA and Sims, because that is where the money is.

The sad thing is that it is the investors who ruin everything. They only care about making more money, they have zero interest in creating anything. What is the point of making money just to make it? Is this the equivalent of sleeping with every woman you possibly can? Why are there so few passionate rich people who actually want to bring something into this world, and not just into their pockets? The world is so sad.

I mean thats how we got broken games like ME: Andromeda
To be honest, even if ME Andromeda didn't have a single bug in it, it still would have been an awful game because the story and characters were awful. That game just never should have happened.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Good move. Better put resoures to DA and ME. You know - titles people actually want.
Anthems idea was not bad but the execution was horrible.
Arent those deceased and reanimated as skeleton franchises already?

Id say they are.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.

Id say they are.

Andromeda wasn't bad, it just suffered from EA's heavy-handed, ruin-everything-it-touches forced release schedule. Bioware had to cut it down massively from their original plan with several races from the Milky Way omitted and plenty of unfinished content just being cut altogether. The launch bugs didn't help, but I only played it last year after all the patches had fixed the worst of the glitches.

I enjoyed Andromeda for what it was, and in a relatively bug-free state I just wish they'd had a larger team and more time to release they game they actually wanted to rather than the half-baked, half-sized game that EA made them push out the door.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Considering all the excitement caused by Cavill's instagram post, I hope they're moving the resources into the ME now. I'd love to see this franchise revived.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Andromeda wasn't bad, it just suffered from EA's heavy-handed, ruin-everything-it-touches forced release schedule. Bioware had to cut it down massively from their original plan with several races from the Milky Way omitted and plenty of unfinished content just being cut altogether. The launch bugs didn't help, but I only played it last year after all the patches had fixed the worst of the glitches.

I enjoyed Andromeda for what it was, and in a relatively bug-free state I just wish they'd had a larger team and more time to release they game they actually wanted to rather than the half-baked, half-sized game that EA made them push out the door.
Andromeda was filler content from beginning to end. 'Enjoyable' sure. But Mass Effect trilogy wasn't just enjoyable, it rivalled a great movie trilogy in narrative, character development, etc. Andromeda has none of that. Its just filler.

So basically Andromeda contains nothing except the artwork and skins/assets from the Mass Effect series, its not even remotely a serious entry.

The same goes for Dragon Age beyond part 1 really. Bioware was looking to refine the format and managed to clusterfuck it to death.

System Name Windows 7 64Bit
Processor Intel E5300 2.6Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5KPL-AM SE
Cooling NQ-3360A
Memory 2GB Kingston PC2-6400 + 2GB Kingston PC2-5300
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-x 1GB
Storage 4x80GB (2xSATA + 2xATA) :(
Display(s) CRT
Case Who need it ;)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC662
Power Supply NQ-4775-850-flex Black Magic
Benchmark Scores FSB (200Mhz) OC 270MHz CPU (2.6Ghz) OC 3.51GHz / Vcore 1.3v RAM (667Mhz) OC 900MHz / 2v GPU (860M
can't fix game = covid
lazy to go to work = covid
why you get a speed ticket = covid
why i am salty = covid

"insert problem here" = "excuse = covid"

Andromeda was filler content from beginning to end. 'Enjoyable' sure. But Mass Effect trilogy wasn't just enjoyable, it rivalled a great movie trilogy in narrative, character development, etc. Andromeda has none of that. Its just filler.

So basically Andromeda contains nothing except the artwork and skins/assets from the Mass Effect series, its not even remotely a serious entry.

The same goes for Dragon Age beyond part 1 really. Bioware was looking to refine the format and managed to clusterfuck it to death.

It's a good comparison actually: if the original trilogy were a Hollywood movie, then Andromeda had a distinct TV-series spin-off feel to it :cool:

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours

Id say they are.
I would say that's more Bioware as a whole since EA bought them and everybody left

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Not surprised in the slightest. So much for a ten-year journey.

Of course, we all know EA will learn jack shit from this. They'll force another live service disaster out from another dev, be shocked when it inevitably fails, then rinse and repeat.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
It's a good comparison actually: if the original trilogy were a Hollywood movie, then Andromeda had a distinct TV-series spin-off feel to it :cool:
This comparison works for almost every new installment of old classics.

A vast majority is soulless, zero talent in writing, its all ultra cliché 'guaranteed success' blandness. Everything got mainstreamed to death basically. The games you remember are the strange ones, the ones that surprise, the ones that offer depth in gameplay or writing, something to really discover beyond just walking up to a marker and minmaxing your three quasi-RPG stats to somehow provide an impression you're doing something substantial. You're really not, you're just walking the path of fake choice. That's Bioware content in a nutshell for a while now. They say they're making RPGs, but they're really not. They make action games with an identity crisis.

With the diversity discussion on top not only is the content bland, but the visuals are also now the eternal 'must have people types'. Everyone walked straight out of an Instagram shot and looks like a Hollywood actor. Disgusting. And oh yeah, we have one each of Asian, Caucasian, Black... male and female in a near-perfect 50% split... yawnfest. There is no basis for any of it, no writing to support it. Its just there because it must be done.

Not surprised in the slightest. So much for a ten-year journey.
Destiny was a ten-year journey too remember. They abandoned that idea since year two, but never mind that, in the EA board room, that's the buzz line that stuck with them.

Copy copy copy with no idea of what good gaming is.

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I would say that's more Bioware as a whole since EA bought them and everybody left
ME2 was the best of the trilogy IMO and that happened under EA. Not because of EA, but before EA really restructured the company. RIP another great studio. Losing the original Bioware team was as significant as losing Bullfrog, Maxis, or Westwood.

Yay! EA rubs two brain-cells together and kills off a project no one cares about. Now let's see if they can make a really smart move and start releasing more of their franchise titles(Command & Conquer for example) on GOG... The Bioshock series was an amazing success for them on GOG! Let's hope they learn...

Last edited: