• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock Rack Puts AMD Ryzen 5000 Series Processor in 1U Short Depth Server

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
ASRock Rack, a division of ASRock dedicated to server/enterprise products, has today quietly launched a 1U short depth server, equipped with AMD's X570 motherboards, able to accommodate AMD Ryzen 5000 series of processors. The 1U2-X570/2T, as ASRock calls it, features an X570D4I-2T motherboard that is capable of housing any AMD Ryzen and Ryzen Pro 5000 series processor with TDP up to 105 Watts, paired with up to four SO-DIMMs of DDR4 ECC memory. Being a remote desktop/server type of build, the 1U case is not designed to be equipped with any powerful discrete graphics card. There is room for the motherboard, the power supply, and the HDDs located next to the motherboard.

Equipped with an 80-Plus Bronze 265 Watt PSU, the system can handle almost any CPU it is equipped with, two 3.5" drives and two 2.5" 7 mm drives. The motherboard also supports M.2 2280 SSD with PCIe 4.0 protocol support. When it comes to basic graphics output, ASRock Rack has installed an ASPEED AST2500 graphics controller to handle basic video output and display the command line, so you can operate with your server with ease. When it comes to networking, it is equipped with dual RJ45 10 GbE connectors, coming from an Intel X550-AT2 Ethernet controller. For more details, head over to the ASRock Rack 1U2-X570/2T product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Bronze, in 2021... Asrock come the fuck on. Also not supporting Milan on the boards that support Rome... Get fucked....
Asrock makes interesting one-off products, but their support is extremely lackluster.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
Bronze, in 2021... Asrock come the fuck on. Also not supporting Milan on the boards that support Rome... Get fucked....
Asrock makes interesting one-off products, but their support is extremely lackluster.

Even worse, it doesn't have the proper SATA power cable.

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3090
Storage 512GB, 2TB NVMe + 2TB SATA || 32TB spinning rust
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech G913
Software win 11 amd64
Even worse, it doesn't have the proper SATA power cable.
it's a SATA power connector, not molex :confused:
and it comes with IPMI

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Hmmm, not sure what the point of these are. If they're "compute blades" then why make them half-depth? Rack space where density matters is premium real estate. You don't waste half a cabinet by making something short-depth

If they're designed to go in half-depth comms racks then why make them 1U? Comms racks can't handle the heat or power density of cramming in a couple of hundred Watts per U.

Hmmm, not sure what the point of these are. If they're "compute blades" then why make them half-depth? Rack space where density matters is premium real estate. You don't waste half a cabinet by making something short-depth

If they're designed to go in half-depth comms racks then why make them 1U? Comms racks can't handle the heat or power density of cramming in a couple of hundred Watts per U.
They can be installed in H-Frame rack instead of full rack like switches. Many company still need to have a local server and have multiple branch. They don't necessarely need full rack, sometime H-Frame is more than enough except for the server. Most of the time they will use tower server but this give them an alternative option.

They can be installed in H-Frame rack instead of full rack like switches. Many company still need to have a local server and have multiple branch. They don't necessarely need full rack, sometime H-Frame is more than enough except for the server. Most of the time they will use tower server but this give them an alternative option.
Exactly, this would perfect for small scale PBX, IP camera or similar server for a business that doesn't have a full IT cabinet. This would fit in right the same rack with a switch and router, and is a much better option than a pedestal sever thats going to get kicked around, unplugged and exposed to dust.

The Bronze PSU dosn't really matter since its max of 100 watt CPU, not being redundant sucks but there may not be any options that would fit that short depth.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Intel gonna be JEALOUS !!!

The Bronze PSU dosn't really matter since its max of 100 watt CPU, not being redundant sucks but there may not be any options that would fit that short depth.
Redundency has becoming less important, psu failure rate has dropped a lot over the years. Major server racks still needs it, but not so much in a SOHO environment, depending on it usage tho.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Exactly, this would perfect for small scale PBX, IP camera or similar server for a business that doesn't have a full IT cabinet. This would fit in right the same rack with a switch and router, and is a much better option than a pedestal sever thats going to get kicked around, unplugged and exposed to dust.

My experience with these sort of branch offices is that they don't have a proper server room and as a result, something that has 3 screaming delta fans and a tiny 1U PSU is not going to be welcome as it'll likely be in the same space as where people are supposed to be working.

I dunno, maybe this one bucks the trend and actually doesn't sound like a hairdryer but the overwhelming majority of 1U systems are noisy little buggers and this thing has four 40x36m fans in it that likely run at 5000+ RPM.

Intel gonna be JEALOUS !!!

Redundency has becoming less important, psu failure rate has dropped a lot over the years. Major server racks still needs it, but not so much in a SOHO environment, depending on it usage tho.
True but if I'm gona pick faults with this thats the first one I see, and if it can prevent downtime I'm for it.
My experience with these sort of branch offices is that they don't have a proper server room and as a result, something that has 3 screaming delta fans and a tiny 1U PSU is not going to be welcome as it'll likely be in the same space as where people are supposed to be working.

I dunno, maybe this one bucks the trend and actually doesn't sound like a hairdryer but the overwhelming majority of 1U systems are noisy little buggers and this thing has four 40x36m fans in it that likely run at 5000+ RPM.
It only has to deal with 100 watts of heat so it depends on how well they are controlled. Besides I see this going in a closet or some corner where the networking consolidates not by someones desk.

I'm guessing the small 12U quarter-racks that sit in some people's offices?

Space is a premium but you don't have much density (cause its an office, not a dedicated server room).

Yeah. That's... true. 1U is very very loud.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
What I'm interested in, is that chassis. It looks cheap, but functional and it's exactly what I need!
1U mini with front I/O or two-sided drives me nuts over the past year and a half. One of my clients has OCD, so he postponed setting up the second server room just because he wants that stupid front I/O.
Tried finding old Supermicro cases w/ front-facing I/O - no luck buying it separately, only finding idiots who's asking upwards of $300 for useless Atom D2550 servers (for perspecitve, an entire X9SCL-F rig w/ E5-1230v2 & 16GB RAM cost me less).
Third party - usually some garbage made out of tin foil, and has PSU facing forward as well, along with jerry-rigged power button in some random spot... :banghead:

AsRock, please tell me where you get these cases! I'll be a good boy and recommend your stuff to all of my friends and co-workers! :D

System Name Linotosh
Processor Dual 800mhz G4
Cooling Air
Memory 1.5 GB

I can attest to this. My company has a server in each office but it's always a tower and often we don't have a back room to put it in. While I love this idea, it wouldn't work for my company.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
How long do four stacked hard disks survive without proper cooling?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
How long do four stacked hard disks survive without proper cooling?
The cooling in this thing is going to be absolutely fine.
The noise it makes will not be.

1616808767688.png

54dBa each, one in the PSU, three in the chassis, almost 12K rpm for a horrible-high pitched whine that is right at the most sensitive human hearing frequencies so that it feels more like 154dBa. This is server hardware where temperature is all the matters and your eardrums are irrelevant because why would anyone choose to be in a server room longer than absolutely necessary, especially without ear defenders?

I'm not blaming Asrack, this is what all 1U servers use - it's a necessity.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin

54dBa each, one in the PSU, three in the chassis, almost 12K rpm for a horrible-high pitched whine that is right at the most sensitive human hearing frequencies so that it feels more like 154dBa. This is server hardware where temperature is all the matters and your eardrums are irrelevant because why would anyone choose to be in a server room longer than absolutely necessary, especially without ear defenders?

The three fans do move air well enough over the motherboard, but not around the disks. The disks would require one more deep fan behind them (or two shallow ones as there's little space), and also some barriers in the right places to direct the air. That would be necessary if there are both 3.5" disks in place, and so much more if there are all four. I'm assuming that the 2.5" disks are tightly packed below the 3.5" ones.

As for why would anyone choose to be in a server room longer than absolutely necessary: in summer, with poor quality A/C in the office, it may be absolutely necessary to spend some more time with the little fans.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
The three fans do move air well enough over the motherboard, but not around the disks. The disks would require one more deep fan behind them (or two shallow ones as there's little space), and also some barriers in the right places to direct the air. That would be necessary if there are both 3.5" disks in place, and so much more if there are all four. I'm assuming that the 2.5" disks are tightly packed below the 3.5" ones.

As for why would anyone choose to be in a server room longer than absolutely necessary: in summer, with poor quality A/C in the office, it may be absolutely necessary to spend some more time with the little fans.
Most rack servers are designed for entrainment - there are such huge pressure differentials caused by these screamy bois that front-to-back airflow will take any airpath it can, even indirect airpath that seems quite far out of the way of fans' airflow.

Unless a specific component is shrouded (usually CPU), entrainment of air is a major factor in all server cooling. If this design didn't work, 90% of the servers in operation today would overheat because it's a principle that the overwhelming majority of all rack servers ever made depend on.

I go and hide in the server rooms occasionally just to stand in a 17C environment for a few minutes, not gonna lie ;)

System Name 1U DAW Servers, too many too share specs on.
Great motherboard. Just use a Supermicro CSE-512f-441/600B if you need more storage.
Somebody might like this chassis, I just like the boards they make.

6F2CF55A-75D8-4D18-9006-393857A02720.jpeg

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX580 GTS XXX 8GB
Storage Samsung Evo 500GB + 3x WD Green 1TB
Display(s) LG 29UM59-P
Case CoolerMaster NR400
Audio Device(s) ATH-M40FS + SMSL SD-793 II DAC
Power Supply Antec NewPower TP-650w 80%+
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard Krom Kernel TKL
Software Win10 x64
This isn't a server, this is a PC on a 1U case.
No redundant hot swappable PSU's, no hotswappable HDD's, there is a x16 PCIex port but no mezzanine, no dedicated RAID controller, I/O ports at the front...
I can only imagine the pain of searching for a replacement board when it fails after the warranty is over...

View attachment 194002

This isn't a high density compute 1U blade and not all 40mm fans spin 12,000 RPM. This thing has a max CPU 100 watt support and 300 watt PSU, there isn't any reason why would have crazy high-rpm fans like that. More to the point as long as they are well controlled it really doesn't matter what their max RPM is as long as they react to thermals properly, and again ~100 watts of heat here...

As for the hard drives as long as there is air moving around them and there isn't like 4+ stacked together (which there isn't here) they'll be with essentially passive cooling.

Also unless the walls are coming in around you nothing sounds like 154 dBA a server room, if you ever heard anything in the 120 dBA range you wouldn't say that.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
This isn't a high density compute 1U blade and not all 40mm fans spin 12,000 RPM. This thing has a max CPU 100 watt support and 300 watt PSU, there isn't any reason why would have crazy high-rpm fans like that. More to the point as long as they are well controlled it really doesn't matter what their max RPM is as long as they react to thermals properly, and again ~100 watts of heat here...

As for the hard drives as long as there is air moving around them and there isn't like 4+ stacked together (which there isn't here) they'll be with essentially passive cooling.

Also unless the walls are coming in around you nothing sounds like 154 dBA a server room, if you ever heard anything in the 120 dBA range you wouldn't say that.
Whoosh, you missed the sarcasm. 154dBA was just me adding a hundred to the rated dBA value for obvious dramatic effect.

At 140dBA your eardrums would rupture, your cochlear would be instagibbed and you'd never hear another sound ever again. To give you some context, 142dBA is the volume level recorded from the blast pit when the space shuttle used to take off. 120dBA is very painful and will cause lasting damage very quickly. 110dBA is "mosh pit at a very loud rock concert" and you won't have trouble finding people who are deaf now because they went to enough concents when they were young.

This isn't a server, this is a PC on a 1U case.
No redundant hot swappable PSU's, no hotswappable HDD's, there is a x16 PCIex port but no mezzanine, no dedicated RAID controller, I/O ports at the front...
I can only imagine the pain of searching for a replacement board when it fails after the warranty is over.
The chassis and PSU are standard mITX layout. Even if you can't get an exact replacement board, the worst case scenario is you have to do a bit of dremmel work to the IO shield to line up with ports on the alternative board.

Asrock and others all make mITX server/workstation boards. They're a commodity item in the channel even if you don't see them on consumer retailers.

Last edited:
Whoosh, you missed the sarcasm. 154dBA was just me adding a hundred to the rated dBA value for obvious dramatic effect.

At 140dBA your eardrums would rupture, your cochlear would be instagibbed and you'd never hear another sound ever again. To give you some context, 142dBA is the volume level recorded from the blast pit when the space shuttle used to take off. 120dBA is very painful and will cause lasting damage very quickly. 110dBA is "mosh pit at a very loud rock concert" and you won't have trouble finding people who are deaf now because they went to enough concents when they were young.
Yah, missed the 100+ thing, a lot of people don't get the dBA scale and exaggerated things. Anything over 90dBA is crazy loud, if you hear 154dBa i'ts probably the last thing you hear.

To the point though there isn't any reason this has would be particularly loud given its power limits and assuming good fan control. All the Supermicro, and Seasonic 1U PSUs I've worked with have very, very quiet at normal loads and those are all using 40mm fans.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I think this should be quiet for a 1U rack system. Quiet and loud are relative terms and yes, even some of the very power-dense 1U systems I've encountered have sounded reasonable at low loads.

Impossible to say without seeing what the motherboard fan-control is like in the BIOS, and what exact model of fan and PSU are used but this is a budget system though which probably means cheaper noisy fans and I cannot read the label but that looks like an 80+ Bronze sticker so we're definitely talking cheapo PSU.

1617145980291.png

Again, nothing wrong with any of that given the right pricing, but definitely provides more evidence that this will be at the louder end of expectations if we're forced to make educated guesses. It's cheaper to use fewer, smaller heatsinks and crank up those fan RPMs.

Last edited: