• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Outs 32 MB Infinity Cache on Navi 23, No Cache on Upcoming Van Gogh APUs

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
AMD has revealed the Infinity Cache size for the upcoming Navi 23 GPU, as well as its absence in the next-generation Van Gogh APU, which features Zen 2 cores and an RDNA GPU. The reveal comes via a new patch done by AMD to the AMKFD, a Linux kernel HSA driver for AMD APUs. The patch file doesn't list Infinity Cache per se, but does clarify the last-level cache for AMD's GPUs - L3, which is essentially the same.

The patch reveals L3 size for Sienna Cichlid (Navi 21), Navy Flounder (Navi 22), and Dimgrey Cavefish (Navi 23). Navi 21 features 128*1024 (128 MB) of Infinity Cache, the just-released Navi 22 has 96 MB, as we know, and according to the file, Navi 23 is bound to feature 32 MB of it. Considering that Van Gogh lacks an infinity Cache, it would seem that it's making use of previous-gen Navi graphics, and won't leverage RDNA2, of which the Infinity Cache is a big part of. It remains to be seen if Van Gogh will materialize in an APU product lineup or if it's a specific part for a customer. It also remains to be seen which RX product will Navi 23 power - if an AMD RX 66000 series, or 6500 series.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I am not sure that RDNA2 is defined by having an Infinity Cache though. If we go by this definition, then the GPU used in Xbox Series X can't be a RDNA2 since its got no Infinity Cache.

Considering the target performance, I don't think an iGPU will require or have the luxury of having a big cache because it will take up too much of the silicon. So I think it makes sense that if AMD were to introduce a RDNA2 based iGPU, it will be as basic as it get. If DDR5 is supported, then that will be the ticket for bigger performance gain.

I am not sure that RDNA2 is defined by having an Infinity Cache though. If we go by this definition, then the GPU used in Xbox Series X can't be a RDNA2 since its got no Infinity Cache.

Considering the target performance, I don't think an iGPU will require or have the luxury of having a big cache because it will take up too much of the silicon. So I think it makes sense that if AMD were to introduce a RDNA2 based iGPU, it will be as basic as it get. If DDR5 is supported, then that will be the ticket for bigger performance gain.
RDNA2 is GCN 5.0+ with Infinity Cache. RDNA is GCN 5.0 with a new dispatch. GCN 5.0 also includes the consoles. Their main advantage was rapid packed math compute acceleration which would benefit from the cache.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
It probably doesn't need it with DDR5.
Though it would be nice to see how it affects it.

RDNA2 is GCN 5.0+ with Infinity Cache. RDNA is GCN 5.0 with a new dispatch. GCN 5.0 also includes the consoles. Their main advantage was rapid packed math compute acceleration which would benefit from the cache.

Vega was GCN 5.0. RDNA was a new new architecture based upon the dual compute unit whilst it inherited Vegas abilities, each dual compute unit was reworked, enhanced and aimed towards gaming workloads rather than compute. So saying RDNA is GCN is wrong.

Vega was GCN 5.0. RDNA was a new new architecture based upon the dual compute unit whilst it inherited Vegas abilities, each dual compute unit was reworked, enhanced and aimed towards gaming workloads rather than compute. So saying RDNA is GCN is wrong.
That is what I said.

I cannot possibly argue whether or not, what you interpret is new or not. I say it isn't, otherwise they wouldn't be intercompatible.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
"an AMD RX 66000 series"

Coming soon to a retailer near you for the low low price of $50,000! /s

@Raevenlord you've got an extra zero there

MI100 / Arcturus is CDNA (and has far more similarities to GCN / Vega).

There are substantial changes to AMD's cards on the RDNA series: including most importantly, the change to 32-wide SIMD per 1-clock tick (instead of 64-wide SIMD across 4-clock ticks in GCN / Vega / MI100). RDNA is such a huge change to the fundamentals of the cards, that it truly deserves a new name.

CDNA (MI100) is really similar to Vega: just with matrix-multiplication instructions added. Otherwise, CDNA is basically a (much much larger) Vega.