• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Epic Games Lost $453 Million Running the Epic Games Store in 2019 & 2020

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Grabbing some popcorn for the: "Epic baaaaaaaad comments".

I was very skeptical of Steam back in 2003. But it's now the best platform BY FAR. And don't forget they are the only one not owned by shareholders.

Sorry, but turning what was once a simple interface for a library that launched games without an issue for years to a wannabe social media site and shove constant feeds/updates/news down your throat when all you want to do is launch a game......that's not adding good features. It may be adding features, but the new features are an eye sore.

I don't enjoy the "new UI" from Steam. I will never understand the idea of having so much shit on the screen to trigger a sensation overload is the idea of a good design.

I haven't purchased anything off Steam for almost 2 years now. Any games I have through Steam that I still play and have downloaded I don't even bother to open Steam itself anymore. I just link those games through GoG Galaxy and I let GoG Galaxy open Steam in the background so I don't have to be blinded by all the bling that Valve has been putting on Steam lately.

As for EGS, my younger brother is always telling me of free games they offer that I should get....but I have so many games already that I still haven't gotten around to playing that even free games on EGS don't entice me to sign up with them.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 is the definition of bloat. It literally takes minutes to load what Steam loads in less than a second. I wouldn't hold GOG up as the bastion of bloatless development of a UI/application. Of all the launchers I'm forced to run, it's the only one besides Rockstar's that I felt the need to disable auto-start on. Because it's slow and soaks up performance while replicating other stores poorly.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Sorry, but turning what was once a simple interface for a library that launched games without an issue for years to a wannabe social media site and shove constant feeds/updates/news down your throat when all you want to do is launch a game......that's not adding good features. It may be adding features, but the new features are an eye sore.

I don't enjoy the "new UI" from Steam. I will never understand the idea of having so much shit on the screen to trigger a sensation overload is the idea of a good design.

You know you can disable the updates and social features from appearing in your library right? You can also revert back to the old UI, use small mode, adjust the size of UI elements, or use playnite. Heck if all you want to do is launch a game then use the shortcuts off your desktop. The options are certainly there.

The new UI is less information dense but uses screen space a lot more effectively. That by definition is good UI design. The old UI was worse as you had things crammed into a smaller space and in a lot of cases too much unused empty space. It wasn't as adaptable to various screen formats and resolutions either. The new UI is clearly a reactive UI design. Again though, steam gives you plenty of options so customize to your desire.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
GOG Galaxy 2.0 is the definition of bloat. It literally takes minutes to load what Steam loads in less than a second. I wouldn't hold GOG up as the bastion of bloatless development of a UI/application. Of all the launchers I'm forced to run, it's the only one besides Rockstar's that I felt the need to disable auto-start on. Because it's slow and soaks up performance while replicating other stores poorly.
Odd. Galaxy takes up less than half the RAM steam requires, doesn't hitch or hang when scrolling through game images, doesn't crash randomly when trying to launch a game, doesn't throw streaming videos in your face and isn't even required to run any game purchased from gog.

To bad steam runs like garbage these days, for a lot of people, over a year after forcing their updated UI on users.

You know you can disable the updates and social features from appearing in your library right? You can also revert back to the old UI, use small mode, adjust the size of UI elements, or use playnite. Heck if all you want to do is launch a game then use the shortcuts off your desktop. The options are certainly there.

The new UI is less information dense but uses screen space a lot more effectively. That by definition is good UI design. The old UI was worse as you had things crammed into a smaller space and in a lot of cases too much unused empty space. It wasn't as adaptable to various screen formats and resolutions either. The new UI is clearly a reactive UI design. Again though, steam gives you plenty of options so customize to your desire.

Small mode is not the same as the old UI.
Filters are not the same, how I had my games organized doesn't work under the new UI.
The massive empty space once you disable blaot features is not a better design.
Having to painfully navigate settings in hopes to find ones that allow you to disable bloated options reminds me of Windows 10 Setting menu, just a pain to find what you need.

Old library was simple.
No extra resources being hogged.
No hitching when scrolling.
No other menu option adjustments needed to try and simplify things so you're not thinking you're staring at some wannabe social media site.
It was simple. If I wanted the social media feeling they've bestowed in every aspect of the new UI I would have browsed the Community section of Steam.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Lost $453 Million?
Have they checked under the sofa cushions?

quakebox

There are some interface issues with Epic Launcher the interface is not as fast and fluid like Steam to win Epic must make the launcher more pleasant to use like Steam.

Lost $453 Million?
Have they checked under the sofa cushions?
That's what I thought Epic has alot of revenues from Royalties and Fortnite.

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
better win vs apple Epic bc it will be another big lose otw

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
If they go out of business, no one can play Fornite ?
will people still like DRM platforms for games ?
I think not.
there all like a glorified Pc game rental service.

Last edited:
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
yeah they are doing a good job aside of having the shittiest launcher of the scene
Uh, FFS, you don't need their launcher to get the games, GoG's launcher OFFICIALLY supports epic store integration.

The steambh FUD campaign is unbearable.

I was very skeptical of Steam back in 2003. But it's now the best platform BY FAR. And don't forget they are the only one not owned by shareholders.
Yeah. It is owned by a nice cool guy who loves games so much HL is dead.
He is so cool, his software stores margins match margins of that filthy Apple.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500

Just shows that people are different. :oops: All the added community & social features are the key reason why Steam is #1 for me.

I love to showcase great artwork, emoticons, images, screenshots, background images & highlight archievments, games, reviews, guides, etc. Dealing stuff on the Community Market is also a nice feature when taking a little break from gaming. Always gives me a smile when a purchase confirmation pops up when a very rare item ends up in my inventory, or when I sell crap for gold. Plus Steam has forums/guides where you can get help to master a game, find workarounds, fixes, etc.

However, I did notice that the Steam Client was over the years more "optimized" for high bandwith network, most noticeable when you watch a video. You can limit some elements in the settings to reduce bandwith, but it's kinda hard to find for some, and you miss out some experiences then. Wish there where a one click solution. It's also embarrassing that you need 3rd party websites to get an overview of all the items available, or a preview how crafted badges will look. Navigation is also dam slow on the Steam client compared to browser.

The Epic Client on the other side is even slower, looks cheap as hell & has zero community features. They make me stopping by weekly to cash in free games, but that's it. I play some, when I like a game I go to Steam, put it on my wishlist & buy it on sale. Haven't spend 1 cent on the Epic Store, and this will not change if they don't step up their game in term of community features, or start to produce exclusive games that are not targeted for Froot Loops junkies. :sleep:

I was unfortunate enough to try Steam's customer service once and I haven't appreciated the monopoly,
I'm trying my damn hardest to avoid Steam, and I haven't played any game on it so far beside CS:GO.