• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung to Replace Intel as Top Semiconductor Supplier in Q2-2021: IC Insights

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Samsung Electronics is expected to regain the distinction of the top semiconductor supplier for the 2nd quarter of 2021, re-taking the lead from Intel, according to a report by market research firm IC Insights. Samsung's growth rides on the back of a resurgent memory market, as the company supplies both DRAM and NAND flash of various types. This is also helped by the fact that Intel's sales in are expected to remain flat around the same period of time. This would be Samsung's return to the top spot for the first time since 2018, when memory prices crashed, sending down production, in a bid to better allow the channel to digest existing inventory.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I'm just surprised it took Samsung this long to catch up. It's not as if Intel has been building new 14nm fabs in the last five years, they've simply been stuck in a holding pattern, in denial that 10nm full-scale production is not imminent.

I guess they're now at the point where most laptops and some niche server parts are now being made exclusively on 10nm++ but at the same time, their bulk of theirr volume production is still very much the 14nm process they switched to in 2015, and no iteration of 10nm works at competitive clockspeeds for high-performance parts, nor is there any evidence that 10nm will ever be capable of running at the clockspeeds that mainstream CPUs operate at.

System Name Monster
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme (rev1.0)
Cooling Custom Loop, CPU only currently, watercool Heatkiller IV Pro
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4x16 GB DDR4-3600C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 O24G
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500 GB, Seagate FireCuda 510 2 TB, Seagate Barracuda 5400 RPM 4 TB
Display(s) Asus PG279Q, Benq SW240, Samsung S24D340
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB, EV RE320, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed (and Powerplay)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
I'm just surprised it took Samsung this long to catch up. It's not as if Intel has been building new 14nm fabs in the last five years, they've simply been stuck in a holding pattern, in denial that 10nm full-scale production is not imminent.

I guess they're now at the point where most laptops and some niche server parts are now being made exclusively on 10nm++ but at the same time, their bulk of theirr volume production is still very much the 14nm process they switched to in 2015, and no iteration of 10nm works at competitive clockspeeds for high-performance parts, nor is there any evidence that 10nm will ever be capable of running at the clockspeeds that mainstream CPUs operate at.
Intel was and still is massive, and have tons of sectors they can fill, including automotive, cellular, networking, and so on. They are massive, because their parts are used in a lot of products, my Gigabyte Motherboard, with an AMD chipset for example still has an Intel ethernet controller and a AX200 WiFi+Bluetooth chipset, as do many other motherboards. So it doesn't surprise me, that Samsung took this long.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Yeah, but
Intel was and still is massive, and have tons of sectors they can fill, including automotive, cellular, networking, and so on. They are massive, because their parts are used in a lot of products, my Gigabyte Motherboard, with an AMD chipset for example still has an Intel ethernet controller and a AX200 WiFi+Bluetooth chipset, as do many other motherboards. So it doesn't surprise me, that Samsung took this long.
Samsung make RAM, NAND, processors, and a whole bunch of components that go into almost every product under the sun.

Samsung as a company shift way more product that contains semiconductors than Intel. Washing machines, fridges, cameras, televisions etc.

System Name Monster
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme (rev1.0)
Cooling Custom Loop, CPU only currently, watercool Heatkiller IV Pro
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4x16 GB DDR4-3600C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 O24G
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500 GB, Seagate FireCuda 510 2 TB, Seagate Barracuda 5400 RPM 4 TB
Display(s) Asus PG279Q, Benq SW240, Samsung S24D340
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB, EV RE320, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed (and Powerplay)
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Yeah, but

Samsung make RAM, NAND, processors, and a whole bunch of components that go into almost every product under the sun.

Samsung as a company shift way more product that contains semiconductors than Intel. Washing machines, fridges, cameras, televisions etc.
Oh, absolutely true, but even in those products you can have Intel, Qualcomm, Realtek, or whatever, chips in them. Also.. Samsung needs to compete in more consumer facing spaces, for example with companies like Panasonic, Philips, Sony, LG, and so on, there's a lot. While Intel often only has one or two actual competitors, so it is much easier to ship higher volumes.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Top by what measure? Linked Digitimes piece talks about revenue, usually that means revenue of the entire company.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Samsung passed up Intel in 2018 in semi sales. Intel probably traded blows for a year or two after that and Samsung passed them again, but this isn't the first time ever.

And Samsung Group is massive, Samsung Electronics is just one part of it and many of the companies don't even bear the Samsung name. Wikipedia says it has 80 companies - not including companies that it owns that are not based in Korea. Those include things like shipbuilding, finance, media, schools, pretty much everything.

I looked into it one time and really nobody knows how big it is or how much revenue it takes in as a whole now. Long before the mobile craze got in gear and even before HD TV was prevalent, Samsung Group had reported 270+ Billion in revenue in 2010 just from on-shore operations in Korea. That was 11 years ago.

Today, Samsung Electronics alone has revenue of over 190Billion / year making just that one subsidiary the 19th largest company in the world by revenue, and Samsung Group has 79+ other companies under its wing.

What? Samsung already overtook Intel a year or two back, before the NAND market & DRAM prices crashed.