• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD EPYC 7003 Processors to Power Singapore's Fastest Supercomputer

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD announced that AMD EPYC 7003 Series processors will be used to power a new supercomputer for the National Supercomputing Centre (NSCC) Singapore, the national high-performance computing (HPC) resource center dedicated to supporting science and engineering computing needs.

The system will be based on the HPE Cray EX supercomputer and will use a combination of the EPYC 7763 and EPYC 75F3 processors. The supercomputer is planned to be fully operational by 2022 and is expected to have a peak theoretical performance of 10 petaFLOPS, 8x faster than NSCC's existing pool of HPC resources. Researchers will use the system to advance scientific research across biomedicine, genomics, diseases, climate, and more.

"AMD EPYC processors are the leading choice for the HPC research that makes an impact on the world, and that's why they have been chosen to power Singapore's most powerful supercomputer," said Ram Peddibhotla, corporate vice president, AMD EPYC product management. "We're excited to work with HPE and the National Supercomputing Centre Singapore to help unlock scientific discoveries across medicine, diseases, climate, engineering and more."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE
Display(s) ASUS PG43UQ
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 7
AMD forgot to mention that it also has NVIDIA A100 GPUs, in addition to the above-mentioned CPUs. I'd imagine a good chunk of the petaFLOPS are coming from these.

AMD forgot to mention that it also has NVIDIA A100 GPUs, in addition to the above-mentioned CPUs. I'd imagine a good chunk of the petaFLOPS are coming from these.

Linpack FLOPs come from GPUs, but HPCG-FLOPs come from CPUs and the interconnect (100Gbit fiber maybe??)

Basically: GPUs are good at some tasks, CPUs on others. Anyone building a supercomputer today tries to create a balance, so that your underlying customers benefit (be it weather-prediction, protein folding, virtual-weapons testing, or quantum computer emulation, etc. etc.). For some tasks, the GPU will be the core source of compute power. For others, the CPU is the source.

Linpack-FLOPs is the original FLOPs benchmark. But HPCG-FLOPs is arguably more realistic on a wider variety of workloads... and is a lesser known secondary benchmark. Still, its a good idea to keep the HPCG benchmark in mind... if only to remind ourselves about the huge differences different workloads have.

Does that make any sense to you? Why would they even care to mention NVIDIAS product. That's NVIDIAS job. They're only highlighting their own product which makes sense.

I said many times before (for years), and I'll say it again. Intel should have skipped 11th generation and went right to 12th. had they done so they might have gotten this contract. And yes I am well aware skipping a generation would have cost big bucks, but, "in life if you don't take chances..." the point, had they taken a big chance and got caught up, they might have secured this contract.

I said many times before (for years), and I'll say it again. Intel should have skipped 11th generation and went right to 12th. had they done so they might have gotten this contract. And yes I am well aware skipping a generation would have cost big bucks, but, "in life if you don't take chances..." the point, had they taken a big chance and got caught up, they might have secured this contract.
What does 11th gen a desktop cpu line have to do with servers. If they skipped 11th gen intel would have still loss this contract.

11th Gen of desktop processor? Intel recently released their 10nm Ice Lake based Xeon, and to be honest, this probably will not change anything since this decision should have been made months ago. Countries and companies don't make decision at a spur of the moment like we would just walk into a store and buy something out of the blue. In addition, it is not as easy as skipping one generation and gone for the next. Development of these processors started years ago, and killing off any product means losing out all the sunk cost.

Does that make any sense to you? Why would they even care to mention NVIDIAS product. That's NVIDIAS job. They're only highlighting their own product which makes sense.
I agree. Nvidia is after all, a competitor. So if AMD wins a massive contract, its obvious they will just highlight their products. If anyone wants to mention both AMD and Nvidia, it will be the company, i.e. HPE, in this case, who made this sale.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
queue the Underdog theme song.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It's not like AMD gets to decide what GPUs their customers use. If someone wants AMD CPU nodes and Nvidia GPUs why the well would AMD be the ones to talk about that ?