• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Big Tech and Lobby: Semiconductors in America Coalition (SIAC) Founded With Microsoft, Apple, Intel, AMD, TSMC, Others

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Since lobbying is both legal and regulated in the US (an attempt to bring attempts of influencing political power by corporations under legal boundaries, as opposed to being done in the dark), it feels like it was only a matter of time before big tech attempted to join under one banner. As such, the Semiconductors in America Coalition (SIAC) has now been put together, and boasts of 64 members including Microsoft, Apple, TSMC, Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, Arm, and Samsung. It seems that all of these companies - which are often at odds with one another when it comes to competing for consumers' choice and money - have found enough similarities to get organized in an attempt to nudge political power in their favor.

SIAC said in a press release that its mission is to "advance federal policies that promote semiconductor manufacturing and research in the U.S. to strengthen America's economy, national security, and critical infrastructure." The first announcement from the SIAC following its foundation was its intention to support the CHIPS for America Act. The Act (supported by The Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) and President Joe Biden) has already been approved by the House and the Senate as part of the National Defense Authorization Act for 2021 but has not yet been funded. It seems that SIAC's first mission is to get the government to open up its $50 billion-deep pockets.

The Coalition penned a letter to US Congressional Leaders: "The current shortage of semiconductors is impacting a broad range of industries throughout the economy. To address this problem in the short term, government should refrain from intervening as industry works to correct the current supply-demand imbalance causing the shortage. But for the longer term, robust funding of the CHIPS Act would help America build the additional capacity necessary to have more resilient supply chains to ensure critical technologies will be there when we need them. Manufacturing incentives funded by Congress should focus on filling key gaps in our domestic semiconductor ecosystem and cover the full range of semiconductor technologies and process nodes - from legacy to leading-edge - relied on by industry, the military, and critical infrastructure."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Low quality post by voltage
oh the good old days when chips were made in the US, Motorola and Texas instruments are two that come to mind. thank bill clinton and obama for ESSENTAILLY pushing them out. too much to type why, but the start of NAFTA started the downslide of US manufacturing forever. sad people are so dumb and continue to support those articulate idiots.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
US jobs headed south across the border after NAFTA. I lived it.
And before that they were moving from the north to the southern states for cheaper labor. They just follow the money.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
US jobs headed south across the border after NAFTA. I lived it.

Well for starters, it's not realistic for any one person to measure the net loss or gain of jobs. You are just fashioning a reality based on your pre-concieved biases. It's not something that's realistically possible for a single person to measure.

Second, it's widely accepted by economists that NAFTA had a net positive impact on the US economy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Free_Trade_Agreement

Third, the US was loosing jobs long before NAFTA was drafted to offshoring. To say NAFTA is solely responsible with nothing but anecdotal evidence is nothing short of ridiculous. A convenient scapegoat. Economies aren't so simple.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
It is over, bois.
Yep. Thats all we need more of now, politicians in the pockets of big business, pivot pals if you will.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
SIAC said in a press release that its mission is to "advance federal policies that promote semiconductor manufacturing and research in the U.S. to strengthen America's economy, national security, and critical infrastructure."

In another words, spreading democracy through technology? *wink-wink the dictator*

currently SIAC means: Semoconductors In Asia Collitiion. Samsung, TSMC, SKHynix, and others rules.
Intel and US Govt won't change this, Asians are too smart and too cheap.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Well for starters, it's not realistic for any one person to measure the net loss or gain of jobs. You are just fashioning a reality based on your pre-concieved biases. It's not something that's realistically possible for a single person to measure.

Second, it's widely accepted by economists that NAFTA had a net positive impact on the US economy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Free_Trade_Agreement

Third, the US was loosing jobs long before NAFTA was drafted to offshoring. To say NAFTA is solely responsible with nothing but anecdotal evidence is nothing short of ridiculous. A convenient scapegoat. Economies aren't so simple.
*losing, not loosing.

Also, a gain for the US economy is great, but that comes with its own disclaimers. The 1% gained a tremendous amount of wealth thanks to NAFTA, at the expense of the middle class. The US losing jobs to outsourcing before NAFTA is whataboutism, it doesnt change the fact that the tide of outsorcing was made dramatically worse by the passing of NAFTA.

And before that they were moving from the north to the southern states for cheaper labor. They just follow the money.
Moiving from one part of the US to another is a bit different then moving out of the US altogether. One, you may note, results in taxbases moving within the country, the other results in taxbases leaving the country. The latter is much more destructive in terms of effects on the middle class, americans were not going to move en masse to mexico to work for $2 an hour. Keeping the jobs in country provided at least a baseline of QoL and job expectations that countries like mexico didnt fall under.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
NAFTA was conceived in the eighties and signed into law in 1994. It was signed by Bush and ratified by Clinton. Now that's balance.

By all accounts, it was a bad deal for all with conditions set, private courts to sue over disputes, and other ramifications that went unnoticed until it happened

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
*losing, not loosing.

Also, a gain for the US economy is great, but that comes with its own disclaimers. The 1% gained a tremendous amount of wealth thanks to NAFTA, at the expense of the middle class. The US losing jobs to outsourcing before NAFTA is whataboutism, it doesnt change the fact that the tide of outsorcing was made dramatically worse by the passing of NAFTA.

You need to learn what whataboutism is:

"the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counteraccusation or raising a different issue."

I rebuttaled the point that the US economy lost jobs as a result of NAFTA with the fact that the US has been loosing jobs long before NAFTA. That's not whataboutism, that's directly responding to the point.

On the other hand your comment is in fact whataboutism:

"The 1% gained a tremendous amount of wealth thanks to NAFTA"

You move the goal posts here by raising a completely different issue. Classic case of whataboutism. This isn't a rebuttle to the comment I made, it's a distraction. You ironically avoid actually rebutting my job trend comment by calling it whataboutism.

"The US losing jobs to outsourcing before NAFTA is whataboutism, it doesnt change the fact that the tide of outsorcing was made dramatically worse by the passing of NAFTA."

Again another comment made without an iota of proof. The burden of proof is on the person making the argument, of which all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of people making claims with jack diddly to back them up.

You need to learn what whataboutism is:

"the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counteraccusation or raising a different issue."

I rebuttaled the point that the US economy lost jobs as a result of NAFTA with the fact that the US has been loosing jobs long before NAFTA. That's not whataboutism, that's directly responding to the point.

On the other hand your comment is in fact whataboutism:

"The 1% gained a tremendous amount of wealth thanks to NAFTA"

You move the goal posts here by raising a completely different issue. Classic case of whataboutism. This isn't a rebuttle to the comment I made, it's a distraction. You ironically avoid actually rebutting my job trend comment by calling it whataboutism.

"The US losing jobs to outsourcing before NAFTA is whataboutism, it doesnt change the fact that the tide of outsorcing was made dramatically worse by the passing of NAFTA."

Again another comment made without an iota of proof. The burden of proof is on the person making the argument, of which all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of people making claims with jack diddly to back them up.
Tell that to the auto workers who saw their jobs head south.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Tell that to the auto workers who saw their jobs head south.
He uses factual statistics, you use ancedotes from nameless people from one select market we're supposed to talk to?

Seriously?

Last edited:
He uses factual statistics, you use ancedotes from nameless people we're supposed to talk to?

Seriously?
I'm 57 and as far as I know I haven't had a recent lobotomy. The US auto industry moved a load of work to Mexico for cheap labor after NAFTA came into effect.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I'm 57 and as far as I know I haven't had a recent lobotomy. The US auto industry moved a load of work to Mexico for cheap labor after NAFTA came into effect.
Why are you focusing exclusively on auto then would be my next question?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
You think the auto industry was the only industry moving US jobs to Mexico after NAFTA. The only people who were big on NAFTA were shareholders and desk jockey's.

is that before or after Trump got his paws on it?

They moved from Canada as well.

I had friends in Detroit that lost auto-jobs over nafta, and I recall a large union strike too. I also remember workers milking the unemployment system down to the last day as a useless way of fighting back.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
You think the auto industry was the only industry moving US jobs to Mexico after NAFTA. The only people who were big on NAFTA were shareholders and desk jockey's.

So why not use generalized statistics to establish a trend, like your debate partner here just did? Why cherry pick jobs that "lost" to fit your argument?

The trend wasn't one of jobs lost from NAFTA, from what I could see.

So why not use generalized statistics to establish a trend, like your debate partner here just did? Why cherry pick jobs that "lost" to fit your argument?

The trend wasn't one of jobs lost from NAFTA, from what I could see.
Not exactly sure what you want from me. A lot of US manufacturing jobs among others went south across the border after NAFTA came into effect.