• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Binance, World's Largest Crypto Exchange, Reportedly Under Investigation by DoJ, IRS

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Binance, the world's largest crypto exchange in trade volume, is reportedly being investigated by both the US Department of Justice and the IRS. Ever since its founding in 2017, Binance has been the de-facto castle door towards the world of crypto - that the eyes of justice and fiscal-enforcement are set upon it shouldn't come as a surprise. Incorporated in the Cayman Islands - a well-known offshore paradise for avoidance of taxation - the firm has an operating office in Singapore, and has thus been able to skirt massive amounts of tax (though not unlike many other, more traditional businesses do). The investigation also shouldn't come as a surprise considering how cryptocurrency - for all its technological and economic impact - is now one of the more common currencies in usage for the enablement and support of illegal activities.

According to Chainalysis.inc, a company specializing in scrutinizing the crypto market and its players, Binance was the principal crypto exchange through where funds derived from illegal activities went. According to the company, the amount of money attributed to illegal activities isn't low either; Chainalysis estimated Binance was the gateway of choice for moving upwards of $756 million dollars in illegal activities, a tidy percentage of its 2.8 billion dollar flux in that same year. No formal investigation has been announced yet, but this could be the prelude to a deeper dive onto the company's finances and possible enablement of criminal activity.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I mean I use coinbase, as do most legit traders at least stateside. I feel like other less legit exchanges can't die fast enough frankly. These shady ops need to go.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
I mean I use coinbase, as do most legit traders at least stateside. I feel like other less legit exchanges can't die fast enough frankly. These shady ops need to go.
Have you seen coinbase subreddit? 9/10 posts are about how they fucked something up. Pretty much all cryptoexchanges are equally horrible in one way or another.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Have you seen coinbase subreddit? 9/10 posts are about how they fucked something up. Pretty much all cryptoexchanges are equally horrible in one way or another.
Well aware. Most of the posts about them fucking something up are money hold complaints due to their accounts being flagged for something most likely suspicious. They operate out of an abundance of caution and that's evidence for, not against it. Report your taxes, act responsibly, and you most likely will never experience this.

Also, I know this is friggin crazy, but complete the identity validation and things suddenly tend to work.

So no, there are far far more badly run exchanges than coinbase. Coinbase is the paypal of crypto, as they comply to KYC laws.

Well aware. Most of the posts about them fucking something up are money hold complaints due to their accounts being flagged for something most likely suspicious. They operate out of an abundance of caution and that's evidence for, not against it. Report your taxes, act responsibly, and you most likely will never experience this.

Also, I know this is friggin crazy, but complete the identity validation and things suddenly tend to work.

So no, there are far far more badly run exchanges than coinbase. Coinbase is the paypal of crypto, as they comply to KYC laws.
Actual user reviews are always welcome. Thanks froggy. :)

Processor Intel 12600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15S; Case: 2xNoctua NF-A14, 1xNF-S12A.
Memory Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @3600CL16 2*16GB
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX500 500gb + WD Red 6TB
Display(s) Dell S2721qs
Case Phanteks P300A Mesh
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC204HD
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 560W
Mouse Glorious Model D-
Haha, they'll cooperate, get slapped with a fine at the end, then the process will repeat with another exchange. Big exchanges are simply another part of the good old financial world now. And that 756$ million connected to illegal activities? Peanuts. Check various estimates for global volume of just the laundering, aside from everything else.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Check various estimates for global volume of just the laundering, aside from everything else.
Links? Most of the "laundering data" that was disconcertingly high is years old now. I really don't think it's a large scale issue like it used to be.

Don't get me wrong... it exists. But it's lessening year by year.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I too am on coinbase. So far I have been happy with its service. Never used binance though.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

That's every company reddit ever.

DOJ will throw the book at them. When hackers wanted payment for the pipeline ransom, what do they want it in.. Fully expect crypto currencies as we currently know them to ultimately be banned entirely.

They're only useful for speculation and illegal activity. Neither of which has anything positive about it from the governments perspective.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Storage yes
VR HMD Oculus CV1

I been waiting 4 months on a withdrawal and I been a active user on coinbase since 2018 and I have yet to get a single reply from their customer support. Well, except three weeks ago when they thought me wanting my money was a feature request, that was nice one. To call them a joke is being way too kind to them.

DOJ will throw the book at them. When hackers wanted payment for the pipeline ransom, what do they want it in.. Fully expect crypto currencies as we currently know them to ultimately be banned entirely.

They're only useful for speculation and illegal activity. Neither of which has anything positive about it from the governments perspective.
I take it you don't like Crypto then :)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I been waiting 4 months on a withdrawal and I been a active user on coinbase since 2018 and I have yet to get a single reply from their customer support. Well, except three weeks ago when they thought me wanting my money was a feature request, that was nice one. To call them a joke is being way too kind to them.
Were you ID validated?

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Storage yes
VR HMD Oculus CV1
Were you ID validated?
Yes, I did that years ago.
I dont know how many transactions I done on coinbase, never did have an issue. But thats generally not a good thing for me. Thats just how its supposed to be, a bare minimum. Its how a company handles fudges that really show what they are. In this case, worthless.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
The almighty dollar in cash form funds illegal activity 100:1 over crypto as much as the govt would like you to believe.
Pay your taxes on it and you will be fine... they just don't like being out of control.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
That's DOJ and IRS being stupid and greedy once again. Binance explicitly does not work with US of A, so if there's a case of tax evasion or illegal activities, it's US citizens that use Binance who should be investigated. It's a simple case of going after one offshore company being a tad easier, more manageable, and having bigger social resonance than running a crypto-crusade after your own people.

I also started with Coinbase, but outside the US it's nothing more than a fancy wallet with charts. Binance is basically a better Coinbase for the rest of the world.
Heck, I've even tried to do a small crypto withdrawal through my relatives stateside not too long ago, and the whole process was such a clusterf#$% that I was forced to do it through Binance anyways. In EU and CIS it's essentially the only reliable way to buy/sell crypto for fiat. Last months they even added support for UAH and added fiat withdrawals for Ukraine (which is more than Paypal ever did, even after direct talks with our govt.). In the essence the only difference between Coinbase and Binance is one being public and one being private. ID validation is nothing new, and nearly all exchanges do it nowadays, and nearly everywhere there are ways around it.
Plus, exchange is just a tool. Crooks will always find a way to use new tools, so nothing new, nothing surprising, and nothing to blame Binance for (exchange manipulation is a story for another day, but CB had its dirty spots there too). I'm absolutely sure that while I'm writing this post, someone somewhere on another side of the planet in total disregard of scary IRS and photo ID validation is selling adderall and oxies for crypto, cause who the hell is going to check his tax forms anyways?:pimp:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
That's DOJ and IRS being stupid and greedy once again. Binance explicitly does not work with US of A, so if there's a case of tax evasion or illegal activities, it's US citizens that use Binance who should be investigated. It's a simple case of going after one offshore company being a tad easier, more manageable, and having bigger social resonance than running a crypto-crusade after your own people.

I also started with Coinbase, but outside the US it's nothing more than a fancy wallet with charts. Binance is basically a better Coinbase for the rest of the world.
Heck, I've even tried to do a small crypto withdrawal through my relatives stateside not too long ago, and the whole process was such a clusterf#$% that I was forced to do it through Binance anyways. In EU and CIS it's essentially the only reliable way to buy/sell crypto for fiat. Last months they even added support for UAH and added fiat withdrawals for Ukraine (which is more than Paypal ever did, even after direct talks with our govt.). In the essence the only difference between Coinbase and Binance is one being public and one being private. ID validation is nothing new, and nearly all exchanges do it nowadays, and nearly everywhere there are ways around it.
Plus, exchange is just a tool. Crooks will always find a way to use new tools, so nothing new, nothing surprising, and nothing to blame Binance for (exchange manipulation is a story for another day, but CB had its dirty spots there too). I'm absolutely sure that while I'm writing this post, someone somewhere on another side of the planet in total disregard of scary IRS and photo ID validation is selling adderall and oxies for crypto, cause who the hell is going to check his tax forms anyways?:pimp:
That's why I prefixed my whole post with "at least stateside."

Sad you don't have more crypto options.

Yes, I did that years ago.
I dont know how many transactions I done on coinbase, never did have an issue. But thats generally not a good thing for me. Thats just how its supposed to be, a bare minimum. Its how a company handles fudges that really show what they are. In this case, worthless.
I'm sorry you are having issues with them. I can only say you are one of the first I've heard of outside of "typically angry" reddit. Not that that makes your issue less severe, but just saying.

Pay your taxes on it and you will be fine... they just don't like being out of control.
Coinbase actually advises you how to do this. It's not hard to do with them in USA for a wallet that's just on coinbase buying/selling/trading:

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Maybe but I'd wait until more details come to light before coming to a conclusion.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)

Personally, I think making negative comments about the DOJ and IRS is stupid. Money laundering is illegal in most countries of the world. Large government organisations are not always quick to respond to the latest threat, but when they do watch out! Whilst I agree that 'Crooks will always find a way to use new tools' EVERY financial institution conventional or Crypto has an obligation for ensure it is NOT fostering money laundering.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Money laundering is illegal in most countries of the world.
The issue isn't the charges, it's the jurisdiction dude.

How can they be complicit in US money laundering when they won't even let a USA citizen have an account?

Short, logical answer is: unless they are doing something outside what their website is showing (like, in person), they can't.

Also, the definition of what constitutes "money laundering" very much differs in different legal zones. The US must prove that harm was done to their citizens by the exchange knowingly to their legal definition of "money laundering" in order to proceed with a case like this.

Given what I know, I doubt that will happen.

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
VR HMD none
The issue isn't the charges, it's the jurisdiction dude.

How can they be complicit in US money laundering when they won't even let a USA citizen have an account?

Short, logical answer is: unless they are doing something outside what their website is showing (like, in person), they can't.

Also, the definition of what constitutes "money laundering" very much differs in different legal zones. The US must prove that harm was done to their citizens by the exchange knowingly to their legal definition of "money laundering" in order to proceed with a case like this.

Given what I know, I doubt that will happen.
Answer: Very easily. The DOJ and IRS do not have unlimited resources or budget. I would guess if they are involved it is because there is really obvious USA juridiction issue. BTW criminals are well known for following rules. Tax evasion involves fraud and false and/or misleading statements/arrangements and behaviour. Should you want to disagree, in my next comment I will point out how heinous is the business of the criminals who are laundering money.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
in my next comment I will point out how heinous is the business of the criminals who are laundering money.
Oh my, scary.

No need we are all aware of all the things you can come up with. If there's a crime it's been committed, don't strain your imagination as it's well established without your fun elaborate and completely unnecessary details.

What the US has to demonstrate is that binance knowingly engaged with US money launderers. Since they don't even let US citizens have accounts I am curious how you will explain that one... I'm guessing it will be something along the lines of "blind eye to VPN users" or something similar. In which case, that better be a crime in the island their incorporated in. Even if it is, you now need to show how they could've made a better effort to detect VPNs, and furthermore were knowingly or negligently letting US citizens register. We'll see how the case plays out, but I see this as a scare tactic against crypto more than a serious case. This would be a real hard one to prosecute.

Just FYI, I use crypto and am not a sicko / war criminal / whatever it is you are surely typing up now. We exist.

BTW criminals are well known for following rules.
Criminals are also innocent until proven guilty, ie binance are not criminals yet. They may never be, we'll see what happens.

According to Chainalysis.inc, a company specializing in scrutinizing the crypto market and its players, Binance was the principal crypto exchange through where funds derived from illegal activities went. According to the company, the amount of money attributed to illegal activities isn't low either; Chainalysis estimated Binance was the gateway of choice for moving upwards of $756 million dollars in illegal activities, a tidy percentage of its 2.8 billion dollar flux in that same year. No formal investigation has been announced yet, but this could be the prelude to a deeper dive onto the company's finances and possible enablement of criminal activity.
Actually, I may have to recant a bit.

If crimes commited on US soil were directly "banked out" via known criminal wallets to binance, there could be valid charges. I swear this fairly damning detail wasn't there when I read this before...

Interesting indeed. They are in very hot water if provable. I'm keeping my old reply, before I was aware of this detail, up but striked out because I no longer support that argument given this detail, but don't want to deny I wrote it either.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Lucky the U.S. has the power to do something outside their jurisdiction, oh wait ....

Mouse Logitech M280
VR HMD none
I don't believe at any time I suggested that all users of Cyrptocurrency were criminals or tax cheats. I believe that given the widespread press coverage, and DOJ and IRS interest that some (not all) users of Cyrptocurrency are criminals or tax cheats. Apologies if others have inferred something that was not implied.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I don't believe at any time I suggested that all users of Cyrptocurrency were criminals or tax cheats. I believe that given the widespread press coverage, and DOJ and IRS interest that some (not all) users of Cyrptocurrency are criminals or tax cheats. Apologies if others have inferred something that was not implied.
Appreciated. I misread you, pretty sure.

Lucky the U.S. has the power to do something outside their jurisdiction, oh wait ....
They do if they can prove the group was complicit in a crime on their shores, see above. INTERPOL and extradition, all that jazz.