• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HiSilicon Develops RISC-V Processor to Move Away from Arm Restrictions

The U.S. (seemingly) aimed to decapitate Huawei. What the U.S. managed to do achieve however was to (temporary) cripple them.

As with every animal that is cornered, it can only claw its way out or it dies.

What the U.S. (seemingly) didn't take into account is the size of Huawei's claws, i.e. the enrmous resources of the Chinese govt.

What Huawei had set to achieve in the next 5 to 10 years, they achieved now. The U.S. (seemingly) forced Huawei's hand, in a way.
Now, Huawei (and the Chinese govt.) will soon have a completely closed cycle of production, i.e. they will be completely independent, hence the backfire.
Huawei is unlikely to go down. The government won't let their opponents have their way for sure. The concept of face is too strong. But you can't deny that they are struggling since they pretty much lost access to Android and the ability to use cutting edge fabs for their chips.

Uroshi

Politically I am afraid Huawei and China are just one of the issues, the bigger issue could be that the rest of the world started looking at the US handling of this situation thinking "Could we be next?". This in order made a lot of nationalistic efforts start to grow.

If, for example, ASML starts very slowly pulling its US assets into Europe and searching for non US partners ... you know why. And most probably TSMC had a talk with them about this, as did EU officials in an unofficial way.

China is a bully but so is USA. Let me be clear, I do not think they are the same but both are international bullies.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Huawei is unlikely to go down. The government won't let their opponents have their way for sure. The concept of face is too strong. But you can't deny that they are struggling since they pretty much lost access to Android and the ability to use cutting edge fabs for their chips.
Depends how you define "go down". They are already dead as a consumer phone manufacturer thanks to no access to the dominant OS and cutting-edge chip tech. Without those two the best you can hope for is a modicum of success in the low end. They've already spun off Honor as a consequence of this, allowing them to keep producing phones and laptops like before. We might see Huawei become more government/enterprise/infrastructure focused, but that would by default limit them to rather few or small markets - PRC, possibly Russia, NK, as well as various Asian and African countries (in which case most of the contracts are heavily subsidized by the PRC government). But as a global consumer-facing brand, they've already gone down.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Depends how you define "go down". They are already dead as a consumer phone manufacturer thanks to no access to the dominant OS and cutting-edge chip tech. Without those two the best you can hope for is a modicum of success in the low end. They've already spun off Honor as a consequence of this, allowing them to keep producing phones and laptops like before. We might see Huawei become more government/enterprise/infrastructure focused, but that would by default limit them to rather few or small markets - PRC, possibly Russia, NK, as well as various Asian and African countries (in which case most of the contracts are heavily subsidized by the PRC government). But as a global consumer-facing brand, they've already gone down.
I don't think they have yet, they are keeping their head above water and unlikely to go under.
They still have modem/ routers on the home front to retain mind share and their phones and laptops are fairly good quality still

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't think they have yet, they are keeping their head above water and unlikely to go under.
They still have modem/ routers on the home front to retain mind share and their phones and laptops are fairly good quality still
Nah. Huawei on the consumer front was 99% a smartphone brand. That brand is now dead.

Going from 20% global smartphone marketshare to 4% in 3 quarters? That's dead. They're selling out existing stocks of decently specced phones (which they made a significant effort to build up when the ban was first put in place) and that is stopping them from dropping off the map entirely, but they are out of the running in every meaningful metric. Realme is the same size and Oppo is nearly 3x. And there's no reason to expect that trend to change either. Whether they have modems and routers (again, must be old stock, unless they're not ARM-based) and other peripheral products still available is largely irrelevant, as the size of those markets is nothing compared to the smartphone market. I agree that their laptops are good (and it seems like those aren't affected by the trade restrictions?), but they're a very small actor there, and the laptop market is still tiny compared to smartphones. They're diversifying in order to stay afloat (monitors, TVs, etc.), but the best case scenario is for them to continue operating at a tiny fraction of their previous size. Going from a global communications powerhouse across infrastructure and end-user clients to a me-too competitor in a dozen minor markets, even if they make good products? That's pretty dead in my book.

Nah. Huawei on the consumer front was 99% a smartphone brand. That brand is now dead.

Going from 20% global smartphone marketshare to 4% in 3 quarters? That's dead. They're selling out existing stocks of decently specced phones (which they made a significant effort to build up when the ban was first put in place) and that is stopping them from dropping off the map entirely, but they are out of the running in every meaningful metric. Realme is the same size and Oppo is nearly 3x. And there's no reason to expect that trend to change either. Whether they have modems and routers (again, must be old stock, unless they're not ARM-based) and other peripheral products still available is largely irrelevant, as the size of those markets is nothing compared to the smartphone market. I agree that their laptops are good (and it seems like those aren't affected by the trade restrictions?), but they're a very small actor there, and the laptop market is still tiny compared to smartphones. They're diversifying in order to stay afloat (monitors, TVs, etc.), but the best case scenario is for them to continue operating at a tiny fraction of their previous size. Going from a global communications powerhouse across infrastructure and end-user clients to a me-too competitor in a dozen minor markets, even if they make good products? That's pretty dead in my book.
Time will tell. :)

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I wonder how much stolen IP help make this chip possible so soon "starting from scratch".

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
... You know that RISC-V is open source, right?
Yea, really I did... :D

If you throw enough money around, Time isnt that much of a factor.

... You know that RISC-V is open source, right?
Huawei can create a competitive chip for any architecture. They have practically unlimited R&D resources and know-how. Problem is the manufacturing.
Up to now Huawei don't have a line for anything below 28nm. Or maybe we don't know about it, but pretty soon they will.

Do you guys really believe that all iPhone users care about the openly shady privacy practices? Or the million Android users who use Facebook, Instagram and what not on their phones, will be afraid of 'China spying on us? Ermahgerd!'

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yea, really I did... :D

If you throw enough money around, Time isnt that much of a factor.
Exactly. So why would they need to steal?
Huawei can create a competitive chip for any architecture. They have practically unlimited R&D resources and know-how. Problem is the manufacturing.
Up to now Huawei don't have a line for anything below 28nm. Or maybe we don't know about it, but pretty soon they will.
My point exactly. Though there's at least 14nm in mass production in China today, so if Huawei wants it, they can no doubt get access to it.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
I didnt say steal, I was referring to the already stolen IP, one of the huge issues that started the crap with china. Nobody truly knows whats actually been stolen.

My point exactly. Though there's at least 14nm in mass production in China today, so if Huawei wants it, they can no doubt get access to it.
Whoo! I've been missing out lately, it seems! And if that's true, then imagine what they have under the blanket! Maybe not something suited for cutting edge mobile SoC, but in desktop/server? Damn!

For mobile I think they are back on board with Samsung. More so, they still have huge political and monetary influence that nobody dares to pass on lightly.
I think Google are saving their next iteration of cr@py OS for exactly when Huawei goes all out on the mobile front.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Hm. I kind of doubt much will come of it, but it would be really interesting to see HiSilicon drive RISC-V designs towards high performance.
High-performance RISC-V won't happen until they finish the vector extension

High-performance RISC-V won't happen until they finish the vector extension
Probably, but hear me out, what if Huawei pour some muscles and money and finish it themselves?
True, they will be giving it for free to everyone but if everyone adopts RISC-V then they win. It a bit far fetched but it has some chance in it.