• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel "Alder Lake-P" Mobile Processor PL Values Revealed

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel is preparing its 12th Gen Core "Alder Lake" processors to target not just desktop, but also notebook. The "Alder Lake-P" mobile processor will be Intel's second to implement a hybrid CPU core design (after "Lakefield"). Coelacanth Dream revealed the power level (PL) values of the three key variants of the "Alder Lake-P" silicon. Intel will create broadly three categories of mobile chips targeting specific notebook form-factors—15 W, 28 W, and 45 W. The "Alder Lake-U" 15 W chips are expected to have a PL1 value (interchangeable with the TDP marked on the tin), of 15 W, but its PL2 value, which enables the highest Turbo frequency, can be as high as 55 W.

The next category, the "Alder Lake-U" 28 W chips, have a PL2 value of 64 W. Lastly, the "Alder Lake-H" 45 W chip, which will go into notebooks of conventional thickness, is expected to have a PL2 value of a scorching 115 W. Unless we're mistaken, "Alder Lake-P" is a hybrid processor with up to 6 "Golden Cove" performance CPU cores, and up to 8 "Gracemont" low-power cores. The performance cores feature HyperThreading, and are AVX-512 capable. Unlike the desktop "Alder Lake-S," Intel is investing in a larger iGPU. Based on the Gen12 Xe LP graphics architecture, the iGPU of the "Alder Lake-P" could feature 96 execution units, compared to just 48 on the "Alder Lake-S."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Power requirements for the U series looks sane. I've seen the Ice Lake U pulling as much as 63W when using HWinfo, so I think its sounds normal. Whether the Alder Lake U pulls more than 55W, I think that is also possible.

As for the 45W variant, I think PL2 @ 115W is also close to what we see with current gen Tiger Lake H, though a little higher. Its scary that the PL2 values have been creeping up. Intel is pushing the 10nm really hard just to maintain that high clock speed to compete. While some laptops with beefy cooling will run fine, most laptops have just average or subpar cooling solution. So I think it is possible to see a very wide performance difference across different laptops running the same Tiger Lake H or even this Alder Lake H processors.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Power requirements for the U series looks sane. I've seen the Ice Lake U pulling as much as 63W when using HWinfo, so I think its sounds normal. Whether the Alder Lake U pulls more than 55W, I think that is also possible.

As for the 45W variant, I think PL2 @ 115W is also close to what we see with current gen Tiger Lake H, though a little higher. Its scary that the PL2 values have been creeping up. Intel is pushing the 10nm really hard just to maintain that high clock speed to compete. While some laptops with beefy cooling will run fine, most laptops have just average or subpar cooling solution. So I think it is possible to see a very wide performance difference across different laptops running the same Tiger Lake H or even this Alder Lake H processors.
I wonder how long before you need to disclose your intel laptop to home insurance.
What's really funny is that this is gonna result in the same method of planned obsolescence as apple killing their laptops in a year except it's by accident of having a trash node.

I have to imagine that laptop manuf want away from intel. They're going to spend 3x the cost on cooling and won't be able to sell perf parts in thin designs.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
45W with 115W PL2? in a laptop? I'm not going to buy it but I really wanna see this :)