• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Coming To Xbox Series X/S

Microsoft has recently confirmed that AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) technology will be coming to Xbox Series X/S. The new feature is AMD's response to NVIDIA's DLSS 2.0 AI processing found in RTX series graphics cards. The two technologies both aim to increase frame rates in select titles with various upscaling technologies without a significant reduction in visual quality. AMD boasts compatibility with a wider set of graphics cards including older NVIDIA GTX 10 series cards while also making the technology open-source. AMD will launch FidelityFX Super Resolution for select PC games on June 22nd which will show if they can hope to compete with the well-established DLSS 2.0. Microsoft has confirmed that they will bring the technology to their Xbox Series X/S consoles running custom AMD processors.

Microsoft said:
At Xbox, we're excited by the potential of AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution technology as another great method for developers to increase framerates and resolution. We will have more to share on this soon,

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
On 22th June We will see if History ( G-Sync vs Freesync ) really repeats itself.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I mean yeah...obviously, here is another reveal, it will also come to the PS5!

also I said this 100 times now but I wish they made a FSR or DLSS or whatever for specifically the Ray Tracing effects, to specifically lower the resolution of the RT reflections and bounce lighting etc etc and to then reconstruct that up to a more nice looking final image.
I think that would be far more worthwhile, keep the image nice and sharp at native res and leave all those effects you look at at a glance to be upscaled.

This is for consoles but how FSR will work on next Microsoft Windows which coming soon? There will have clearly new file explorer and who knows what's other new code?

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
I mean yeah...obviously, here is another reveal, it will also come to the PS5!

also I said this 100 times now but I wish they made a FSR or DLSS or whatever for specifically the Ray Tracing effects, to specifically lower the resolution of the RT reflections and bounce lighting etc etc and to then reconstruct that up to a more nice looking final image.
I think that would be far more worthwhile, keep the image nice and sharp at native res and leave all those effects you look at at a glance to be upscaled.

For RT effects, you reduce the per pixel sampling rate, not the pixel count itself, then find out a way to denoise the mess you have. Not technically the same, but in some reductionist, conceptual view, it is what you're looking for, and it is how the current tech works.

Can't say if actually rendering the effect to a smaller frame isn't an accepted approach though, but I'd expect it would have some horrible bleeding or motion artefacts.

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
For RT effects, you reduce the per pixel sampling rate, not the pixel count itself, then find out a way to denoise the mess you have. Not technically the same, but in some reductionist, conceptual view, it is what you're looking for, and it is how the current tech works.

Can't say if actually rendering the effect to a smaller frame isn't an accepted approach though, but I'd expect it would have some horrible bleeding or motion artefacts.

I dont know the details of it, I know about the denoising needed but Im more going of Digital Foundry reviews, where they tested for example the console version of Watch Dogs Legion vs the PC version and found the console version running a lower resolution for the reflections, this obviously to reduce the performance hit.

So if reducing resolution of RT effects is an option to enhance performance, then I would think that is where FSR or DLSS could/should shine.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte AX-370 Gaming 5, BIOS F51h
Cooling MSI Core Frozr L
Memory 32GB 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Trio
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB + 3TB 7.2k + 4TB 5.4k
Display(s) LG 34UC99 3440x1440 75Hz + LG 24MP88HM
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG Galaxy Silver
Audio Device(s) Edifier XM6PF 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G3
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Lite Stormtrooper Edition
Haven't caught up to the detail yet, but I heard it will also support GTX series card as well?
My GTX 1080 Ti will be happy for a few more years.

I'm curious about how AMD will deliver it to Nvidia card.. with a separate driver maybe?

System Name Cyberline
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Haven't caught up to the detail yet, but I heard it will also support GTX series card as well?

I'm curious about how AMD will deliver it to Nvidia card.. with a separate driver maybe?

I think its just a setting in the games probably, I doubt they had access to modify an Nvidia driver to add support for it for their GTX1060 demo.

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
On 22th June We will see if History ( G-Sync vs Freesync ) really repeats itself.

Do you mean if DLSS will cost 200$+ more? :laugh:

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
That's not needed, it's all compute based running on DirectML. This means that any GPU that supports DirectML can run this without any other intervention.

Of course on 2000 series and up they can technically optimize it by writing a back end that uses tensor cores but knowing Nvidia they probably wont do it. Not that it's actually needed, inferencing is pretty light even without dedicated hardware.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.

Works on standard nvidia driver.

I think its just a setting in the games probably, I doubt they had access to modify an Nvidia driver to add support for it for their GTX1060 demo.
Amd has no way of modifying nvidia drivers, they're completely closed source code.
Nvidia can however make custom AMD and Intel drivers, cause they are open source (now mainstream windows ones, but on par linux ones, as well as Vulkan driver which is shared and both are open source).

That's not needed, it's all compute based running on DirectML. This means that any GPU that supports DirectML can run this without any other intervention.

Of course on 2000 series and up they can technically optimize it by writing a back end that uses tensor cores but knowing Nvidia they probably wont do it. Not that it's actually needed, inferencing is pretty light even without dedicated hardware.

I wonder if it's based on DirectML but rather language agnostic so vulkan linux and DirectML.
Vulkan and DX12 is so similar anyways they have near 1:1 mapping possible, the devs opting for vulkan is usually a bit of a different breed hence the perceived difference.

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte AX-370 Gaming 5, BIOS F51h
Cooling MSI Core Frozr L
Memory 32GB 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Trio
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB + 3TB 7.2k + 4TB 5.4k
Display(s) LG 34UC99 3440x1440 75Hz + LG 24MP88HM
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG Galaxy Silver
Audio Device(s) Edifier XM6PF 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G3
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Lite Stormtrooper Edition

Wait.. no stupid question, so how GTX users can get it without a driver from AMD? I doubt Nvidia will update their GTX driver just to adopt AMD Fidelity. Nvidia is not that generous toward their customers.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Wait.. no stupid question, so how GTX users can get it without a driver from AMD? I doubt Nvidia will update their GTX driver just to adopt AMD Fidelity. Nvidia is not that generous toward their customers.

You don't need anything, that's what I am saying. If your card supports DirectML, then it will support this as well.

System Name Pac Man Nightmare
Processor Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard B550 Aorus pro ax
Cooling Custom Bykski
Memory Crucial Ballistix ddr4 3600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Storage Samsung nvme ssd 960 500Gb+Crucial Mx 500 ssd 2Tb
Case NZXT H200I "Flow" ; )
Power Supply Corsair RM750X
Greetings. This thread is for Uskompuf, author of the article. Greetings from Spain. In my country there is a technology page called Geektopia that cites your article as a source.
"AMD has announced FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) which some continue to call NVIDIA's competitor to Deep Learning Supersampling (DLSS) even though the two are totally different technologies. The advantage of FSR is that it is computationally undemanding as it is a mere rescaling and therefore it has compatibility with a greater number of devices, ranging from AMD's Radeon RX 470 to the current RX 6000, through the competition and its GTX 10. But Microsoft is not going to miss the FSR party and also the will lead to the Xbox.

“We at Xbox are delighted by the power of AMD's FidelityFX super-resolution technology being another great way for developers to increase frame rates and resolution. We will share more about it shortly.

AMD has not explicitly mentioned that FSR is a competitor to DLSS but an alternative, and it is because they are different technologies. FSR is a super resolution, that is, a rescaling that starts from one resolution to take it to another. For example, from FHD to 4K. It has some processing but introduces blurriness and stelae problems and others.

DLSS, as the name suggests, is supersampling. This means that it has a target graphic resolution (eg 4K) and to achieve this it first generates the frames at a much higher resolution (eg 36K) and then reduces it to the target resolution. Supersampling is an edge smoothing technique, and there is no loss of graphic quality — quite the opposite.

However, the 'deep learning' part of DLSS has to do with the graphics actually being generated at less than 4K (eg FHD), and by artificial intelligence it is brought to 36K resolution (a rescaling by artificial intelligence) and then reduce it to 4K (a supersampling). Supersampling is computationally very intense - normally, 36K graphics would have to be generated to reduce them to 4K - but since DLSS offloads the generation of graphics (rescaling) to 36K on the tensor cores, what is done is to achieve net performance. DLSS 1 had some visual problems in rescaling, but the introduction of temporal information in DLSS 2 and a single super-trained neural network for rescaling allowed them to be eliminated. In fact, with DLSS 2 you even gain detail as in Death Stranding and other games that implement it.

In short: FSR is never going to be a competitor to DLSS. They will put it on the Xbox, it will be seen that it produces visual problems, and the developers will flee from the technology until AMD improves it as it happened with DLSS 1.

Via: TechPowerUp. "
I first read the article in TPU, then when reading the one from Geektopia, it did not seem at all that it reflected the concept you wanted to express in yours.
I certainly trust your article more than Geektopia. I think the Geektopia one is biased and seems to put words in your mouth that you never said.
Maybe my words are not very clear, because I use the Google translator because I don't know how to speak English, but I have been following your publication for a long time because of its quality and I do not like what they do with your words.
Keep going. Greetings from Spain.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
DLSS, as the name suggests, is supersampling. This means that it has a target graphic resolution (eg 4K) and to achieve this it first generates the frames at a much higher resolution (eg 36K) and then reduces it to the target resolution. Supersampling is an edge smoothing technique, and there is no loss of graphic quality — quite the opposite.

However, the 'deep learning' part of DLSS has to do with the graphics actually being generated at less than 4K (eg FHD), and by artificial intelligence it is brought to 36K resolution (a rescaling by artificial intelligence) and then reduce it to 4K (a supersampling). Supersampling is computationally very intense - normally, 36K graphics would have to be generated to reduce them to 4K - but since DLSS offloads the generation of graphics (rescaling) to 36K on the tensor cores, what is done is to achieve net performance. DLSS 1 had some visual problems in rescaling, but the introduction of temporal information in DLSS 2 and a single super-trained neural network for rescaling allowed them to be eliminated. In fact, with DLSS 2 you even gain detail as in Death Stranding and other games that implement it.

You're mixing up things very badly. Nvidia is supersampling images on their servers by running the game at very high resolutions which they then use to train a machine learning model. There is no 36K supersampling involved or anything like that happening on the GPU that you use as a end user, all the GPU does is infer an output image based on the input image according to the aforementioned model.

AMD is doing the same thing, on the GPU you get input image -> model -> output image. The only difference is that AMD is not training the model per game, which will likely make it way easier to adopt it.

Last edited:
System Name Cast Lead™
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX H270F GAMING
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
Storage Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm
Display(s) LG 24MP59G
Case Green Z4
Audio Device(s) Realtek High Definition Audio
Power Supply Green 650 UK Gold
Software Windows 10™ Pro 64 bit
guys this is not direct ml or machine learning right?

guys this is not direct ml or machine learning right?
On this weak chips? I think that ML doing on supercomputers and results of already conducted training is using in...for now in outer software like FSR, but in future in programmable cores inside CPU's and GPU's. If in future CPUs and GPU's continuing to be different chips.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
You don't need anything, that's what I am saying. If your card supports DirectML, then it will support this as well.

It's not using DirectML, from what I have heard. This will make it exclusive to windows and that will not be good.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It's not using DirectML, from what I have heard. This will make it exclusive to windows and that will not be good.

There is no reason for it not to be based on DirectML, which is why this is coming to Xbox since they share the same APIs with Windows. Otherwise this would have been announced on PS5 as well but it wasn't.

Since Microsoft themselves talked about this you can be certain it's using their API. That being said FSR is free to use by Sony, there is no reason for this to be exclusive to Windows since FSR can be implemented on top of anything. On Xbox and Windows it will be done through DirectML, that's all and to be honest it's not AMD's job to write a back end for every platform out there.

Last edited:
System Name DaBeast! DaBeast2!
Processor AMD AM4 Ryzen 9 5900X 12C24T/AMD AM4 RYZEN 9 3900X 12C/24T
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme/Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 360/Thermalright PA 120 SE
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16/2x 16GB Patriot Elite II DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX 24GB/Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT 16GB
Storage 500GB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe PCIe 4x4 + 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe PCIe 4x4 + TG Cardea Zero Z NVMe PCIe 4x4
Display(s) Samsung LC49HG90DMEX 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2/Acer XR341CK 75Hz 21:9 Freesync
Case CoolerMaster H500M/SOLDAM XR-1
Audio Device(s) iFi Micro iDSD BL + Philips Fidelio B97/FostexHP-A4 + LG SP8YA
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum/Enermax MAXREVO 1500
Mouse Logitech G703/Logitech G603 WL
Keyboard Logitech G613/Keychron K2
Software Win11 Pro/Win11 Pro

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
It's being done inside the game engine, it's not a driver level function

It's no different to 'resolution scale' that lots of games have had for years, just with some better programming behind it

What chips are you referring to, the RX 6000 series?
All consumer hardware which use one or very small number of components. Maybe after 4-5 years on the end of evolution of consumer hardware which mean no more of 3 generation 2022, 2024 and possibly 2026. With eventually new architectures hmm exist probability of the likelihood that consumer hardware will reach such satisfactory levels of performance that we can come to terms with the fact that, in fact, consumer hardware is unlikely to ever achieve truly high performance. Although, who knows ... Maybe in 10-20-30 years there will be home quantum computers, even portable ones, and my thesis will be refuted.