• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Shares New Details on Their 3D V-Cache Tech for Zen 3+

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
AMD via its official YouTube has shared a video that goes into slightly more detail on their usage of V-Cache on the upcoming Zen 3+ CPUs. Firstly demoed to the public on AMD's Computex 2021 event, the 3D V-Cache leverages TSMC's SoIC stacking technology, which enables silicon developments along the Z axis, instead of the more usual footprint increase along the X axis. The added 3D V-Cache, which was shown in Computex as being deployed in a prototype Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core CPU, adds 64 MB of L3 cache to each CCX (the up-to-eight-cores core complex on AMD's latest Zen design), basically tripling the amount of L3 cache available for the CPU. This, in turn, was shown to increase FPS in games quite substantially (somewhere around 15%), as games in particular are sensitive to this type of CPU resources.

The added information explains that there is no usage of microbumps - instead, there is a perfect alignment between the bottom layer (with the CCX) and the top layer (the L3 cache) which enables the bonding process to occur naturally via the TSVs (Through Silicon Vias) already present in the silicon, in a zero-gap manner, between both halves of the CPU-cache sandwich. To enable this, AMD flipped the CCX upside down (the core complex now faces the bottom of the chip, instead of the top), shaved 95% of the silicon on top of the upside-down core complexes, and then attaches the 3D V-Cache chips on top of this formation. This also has the added bonus of decreasing the distance between the L3 cache and the CCX (the distance between both in the Z axis is around 1,000 times smaller than if the L3 cache was deployed in the classical X axis), which decreases power consumption, temperatures, and latency, allowing for further increases to system performance. Look after the break for the full video.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

AMD have quite strong cards hidden in the sleeve .... From time to time, they take out some and make Intel look pathetic.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Not bad AMD! an up to 15% performance increase is more than intel does in 3 generations of CPUs, and this is only with cache, not IPC! Combine both in Zen4, and I see more fun ahead for Intel.

I REALLY hope that Zen3+ is for AM4, as I don't like what I'm seeing with DDR5. I think it's just too early for AMD to abandon AM4 and DDR4, at least for this year.

I haven't kept the old trolling material, however AMD wasn't the only company targetting 3D stacking, it sure is the first without the shadow of a doubt!
This is the definition of success however way anybody puts it!

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Not bad AMD! an up to 15% performance increase is more than intel does in 3 generations of CPUs, and this is only with cache, not IPC! Combine both in Zen4, and I see more fun ahead for Intel.

I REALLY hope that Zen3+ is for AM4, as I don't like what I'm seeing with DDR5. I think it's just too early for AMD to abandon AM4 and DDR4, at least for this year.

Something's bothering me: why did AMD use the prototype @ a fixed 4 GHz VS a regular 5900X also @ a fixed 4GHz, instead of the prototype @ "it's normal speed" VS the 5900X @ it's normal speed?

Either they don't yet know what "it's normal speed" will end up being, which is actually quite likely, or this prototype will end up having a lower frequency than the 5900X due to it's new "3D nature", meaning that 15% improvement might not actually be as much as it seems to be.

Ofc, that 15% @ 4 GHz is only with the 3D V-cache without anything else, so it's still possible that the new Zen 3+ CPU could still end up being 15%+ faster than the 5900X WHILE having ... say ... 400 to 500 MHz LESS frequency, depending on WHAT ELSE is being changed VS Zen 3.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
Yeah i do hope this will be for AM4. This will give me a upgrade choise longer down the road. Now i am on Zen 3.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Why is everybody assuming that 3D V-Cache is the same as Zen 3+? They could as well be two distinct things.

Like, Zen 3+ being intended for APUs, with several improvements over Zen 3, similar to what Lucienne is for Zen 2. And 3D V-cache for high end Ryzen CPUs, those that can bear the high cost of advanced packaging and additional silicon.

Cache is there just to improve IPC in certain applications. If it didn’t improve IPC, it would be unnecessary.

Cache is there just to improve IPC in certain applications. If it didn’t improve IPC, it would be unnecessary.
Listen to this gentlement, 10/10 remark...
Cache admittedly improves single threading since it acts like a huge page file.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Something's bothering me: why did AMD use the prototype @ a fixed 4 GHz VS a regular 5900X also @ a fixed 4GHz, instead of the prototype @ "it's normal speed" VS the 5900X @ it's normal speed?

Either they don't yet know what "it's normal speed" will end up being, which is actually quite likely, or this prototype will end up having a lower frequency than the 5900X due to it's new "3D nature", meaning that 15% improvement might not actually be as much as it seems to be.

Ofc, that 15% @ 4 GHz is only with the 3D V-cache without anything else, so it's still possible that the new Zen 3+ CPU could still end up being 15%+ faster than the 5900X WHILE having ... say ... 400 to 500 MHz LESS frequency, depending on WHAT ELSE is being changed VS Zen 3.
Orr, AMD yet again are holding something back for a later announcement/sales push.

Plus she could only show a prototype, you realise this isn't even a qualification sample.

It's clearly early in the production cycle ,only an idiot would show all their competitors they're full hand with enough time to do something about it that's competitive?!.

No glue, either , make's me wonder how strong that atomic flatness bonding is, Many of us have used standard set guages , sets of metal blocks produced to a very high standard that are used to measure gaps via building up different sizes via a similar bond, they're not hard to pull back apart, though obviously the interposer and IHS will easily clamp it into a package.

Cache also improves IPC in multi threaded applications.
That depends on the instruction scheduler design, don't you think? Single block schedulers can access single ipc better, but multi ipc worse. I'm computer illiterate, sorry if I presented it wrong.

System Name Gaming rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5900X
Motherboard Asus X570-Plus TUF /w "passive" chipset mod
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3200C16 @3600C16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 2TB, Samsung 860 QVO 4TB
Display(s) Samsung C32HG7x
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair RM850i 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Pro

IPC testing is always done with locked frequencies, it's about impossible to test otherwise (you are testing performance /clock afterall). We will see if this makes a difference to temps/boost behavior later on, when there are more detailed tests/info available.

IPC testing is always done with locked frequencies, it's about impossible to test otherwise (you are testing performance /clock afterall). We will see if this makes a difference to temps/boost behavior later on, when there are more detailed tests/info available.
That is not all, hyperthreading and SMT changes instruction scheduler depth, a.k.a. ipc. The computer can do more, but with less single ipc. It looks like a stupid argument, but that is the general case with all excess testing.

It's clearly early in the production cycle ,only an idiot would show all their competitors they're full hand with enough time to do something about it that's competitive?!.
Hi, I could stir up some dirt on some past failures(3.5GB) that involves 3D memory(HMC, lol!), but I fight more cleanly these days.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
That is not all, hyperthreading and SMT changes instruction scheduler depth, a.k.a. ipc. The computer can do more, but with less single ipc. It looks like a stupid argument, but that is the general case with all excess testing.

Hi, I could stir up some dirt on some past failures(3.5GB) that involves 3D memory(HMC, lol!), but I fight more cleanly these days.
You do you, I wasn't stirring up dirt, ANY company with a new product that has direct , formidable competition keeps the final specs of their products under wraps until the only thing a competitor Can do is adjust price to compete, rather than showing all their cards and allowing they're competitor to adjust they're sku, to compete on other terms.

It definitely wasn't a personal dig.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
The added information explains that there is no usage of microbumps - instead, there is a perfect alignment between the bottom layer (with the CCX) and the top layer (the L3 cache) which enables the bonding process to occur naturally via the TSVs (Through Silicon Vias) already present in the silicon, in a zero-gap manner, between both halves of the CPU-cache sandwich.
This is some jaw dropping sci-fi...

Cat Wow GIF

Now imagine GPU gluing like that.

From everything I've heard whatever was going to be Zen 3+ was cancelled, probably because of logistic issues caused by the pandemic, the lead they already have with Zen 3, and seeing just how well just the integration of this stacked cache turned out. If these new CPUs have any additions to performance it would probably be things like microcode changes similar to what Zen 1+ was, I don't think there is going to be any transistor level differences in the cores themselves simply because AMD dosn't need to. They have a decent lead now so they can just pour more resources into Zen 4 instead of splitting them between Zen 4 and Zen 3+.

It definitely wasn't a personal dig.
I actually like trash talk, don't mind mucking up some dirt...
You do you, I wasn't stirring up dirt, ANY company with a new product that has direct , formidable competition keeps the final specs of their products under wraps until the only thing a competitor Can do is adjust price to compete, rather than showing all their cards and allowing they're competitor to adjust they're sku, to compete on other terms.
Okay... that is actually pretty darn clever. I told you guys I was stupid. Should have signed up to EE.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Plus she could only show a prototype, you realise this isn't even a qualification sample.

To me this is as an indication that it's not that early in the production cycle. If the finished product hits the stores in ~9 months, Intel doesn't nearly have enough time to adapt in any way (except to adjust prices).
No glue, either , make's me wonder how strong that atomic flatness bonding is, Many of us have used standard set guages , sets of metal blocks produced to a very high standard that are used to measure gaps via building up different sizes via a similar bond, they're not hard to pull back apart, though obviously the interposer and IHS will easily clamp it into a package.
No, it can't work that way. The whole stack must be operational without anything clamping it and must also sustain some warping due to thermal gradient.
There must be some kind of electrochemical process that actually bonds copper to copper. TSMC and other manufacturers won't tell much. I found an older document here, it gives some hints like "During chip stacking, inter-metallic compounds (IMCs) are formed" and "The planar bumping system described above is formed by a metallurgical reaction" (and Sn or Cu/Sn is present too, not just pure Cu). Another option is this ... maybe (vacuum, plasma, high pressure, sharks with lasers, etc).
@Raevenlord describes this in an optimistic way as "the bonding process to occur naturally via the TSVs" but this can't be the whole truth.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
To me this is as an indication that it's not that early in the production cycle. If the finished product hits the stores in ~9 months, Intel doesn't nearly have enough time to adapt in any way (except to adjust prices).

No, it can't work that way. The whole stack must be operational without anything clamping it and must also sustain some warping due to thermal gradient.
There must be some kind of electrochemical process that actually bonds copper to copper. TSMC and other manufacturers won't tell much. I found an older document here, it gives some hints like "During chip stacking, inter-metallic compounds (IMCs) are formed" and "The planar bumping system described above is formed by a metallurgical reaction" (and Sn or Cu/Sn is present too, not just pure Cu). Another option is this ... maybe (vacuum, plasma, high pressure, sharks with lasers, etc).
@Raevenlord describes this in an optimistic way as "the bonding process to occur naturally via the TSVs" but this can't be the whole truth.
Nah the AMD PR bring up on it gave a clear discription , they built up pads at 1000x the density that micro bumps achieve with no sacrificial join ,they say both mating faces are ground smooth enough to leave no gap to fill.
No bumps no sacrificial deforming bump nothing just stiction ( had to look that up)similar to gauge blocks
They're also ground so thin as to technically Be flexible.
I agree on clamping pressure, it would have to work sans that and the prototype clearly demonstrated that.
So I will concede it's not going to be held together via that after some thought.

But no, just stiction, :) new word woo :).

Honda_tpu

Their prototype was on the 5900x. I'm guessing the AM4 will still have 12-16months to live. Not sure how that new Ryzen9 5900X_3D will be priced though. 799$?

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Life is always better with more cash.........errrrr cache...................

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11

I must admit, I'm also wondering why only one of the CCDs was "covered" with the new cache, and not both. But the thing that worries me more is that the die is now facing downwards, and most of the excess silicon is removed before the cache is then placed on top of it - my worry is increased thermals, and maybe that's why is was running at a slower speed?

I hope it's not some kind of thermal compromise where the CPU will clock down when under high use.

Reactions: HTC

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I must admit, I'm also wondering why only one of the CCDs was "covered" with the new cache, and not both. But the thing that worries me more is that the die is now facing downwards, and most of the excess silicon is removed before the cache is then placed on top of it - my worry is increased thermals, and maybe that's why is was running at a slower speed?

I hope it's not some kind of thermal compromise where the CPU will clock down when under high use.

If they manage to have a substantial increase in IPC, even with a much lower clock due to thermals, Zen 3+ could end up much faster than Zen 3.

We'll have to wait and see ...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Jesus, that reduced distance for lowering the IMC latency is probably going to have a big performance gain on its own