• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cryptocurrency Market Bleeds Trillions in Less Than 24 Hours; Did the Bubble Pop?

It's more complex than that.

There are hard rules in crypto. Like block halvings. They happen because the designers of the chain said they would, whether the users like it or not.

These rules are litterally in the code. Humans can't mess with them. In many ways they are stronger than legislation. They haven't used this power for much besides coin issuance control, but it's certainly there.

Except we can mess with them in practice.

Eth-classic vs Ethereum vs Eth2.0 for example. DAO contract was on the original, largely abandoned Eth-classic Blockchain. But the community was able to migrate (and plans to migrate again for proof of stake)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Except we can mess with them in practice.
Forks are hard to avoid without social consensus, true. I'd say in that way it's still subject to human whims, unfortunately.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I'm always fascinated by people who criticize a (potentially) poorly functioning regulated system - especially in our current world, where neoliberal economic policies have been intentionally and systematically eroding effective and useful regulation for half a century - by proposing that we move to an entirely unregulated one. The logic is just baffling. "Hey, see, this system has weak protections and is faulty, people are gaming it and it is causing trouble, so how about we just remove all the rules? That would fix things, right?" They don't tend to be that direct, but that is what it boils down to in the end. All the grand words about "democratization" and "freedom" conveniently skip over how this by default would be a democracy where only the wealthy have a vote, and the only freedom you have is what you can afford. But never mind that, of course.
A system without regulation is ideal for ideal people. It can work in small communities, but not on a global scale. The problem is that people aren't, and are never going to be ideal. Doing away with regulation only leads to anarchy, where a select few can easily gain power by exploiting the weak. Then we have a system that's worse than the one we started off with, and that's exactly what's wrong with crypto as well: it doesn't promote an unregulated system. It promotes a system where a select few get rich with minimal effort, while everybody else lives under the illusion that getting rich is easy for everyone.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Crypto continues it's downward trend. In the past 3 months Bitcoin has fallen from a high of $63,000 to $34,000
Ethereum has fallen from a high of $4,100 to $2,200
Crypto is just too volatile imo

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Crypto is just too volatile imo
For certain investors thats a plus.

At any rate it doesn't help end user adoption, I get that. Still feel crypto despite being a household term now is very "beta" as a currency.

pvanb

can't wait for Bitcoin to drop and drop some more, then I will buy, buy and buy some more. Missed the IPO in '09, when it was offered at 39 cents a Bitcoin.
Sell you idiots, sell. Block-chain is the future, no going back to spreadsheets and money orders to transfer funds. ALL fiat money is numbers in a computer.

Bad year to retire and play around with crypto for fun. Wasn't fun.
I could of bought a couple super computers with my losses.
left some ETH2 staked for who knows how long (untouchable for research) and sold everything else and moved on the AMC and GME stock. Best move of my life.
Bye to the pile of Crypto crooks.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.

pvanb

Elon zez...buy my windup cars....BTC up....Elon zez changed my mind....BTC down...Elon zez, OK u can buy again, BTC up and ? I made $ on all his tweets.

Elon zez...buy my windup cars....BTC up....Elon zez changed my mind....BTC down...Elon zez, OK u can buy again, BTC up and ? I made $ on all his tweets.
Wow if only you could manipulate the real world so easily :slap: :laugh:

Even if you're making money on it, Elon would be making more money on it (being both a Billionare: able to put down more money than you physically... and also the one who has sole control over whether or not his tweets come out).

EDIT: That's why pump-and-dump should be illegal. Alas, BTC is an unregulated commodity. I'm not sure if pump-and-dump laws even apply to BTC. Otherwise, pump-and-dump allows the rich to extract wealth from all other market participants.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Even if you're making money on it, Elon would be making more money on it (being both a Billionare: able to put down more money than you physically... and also the one who has sole control over whether or not his tweets come out).

EDIT: That's why pump-and-dump should be illegal. Alas, BTC is an unregulated commodity. I'm not sure if pump-and-dump laws even apply to BTC. Otherwise, pump-and-dump allows the rich to extract wealth from all other market participants.
That's why a completely unregulated monetary system is just plain wrong.