• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Makes Changes to Executive Team, Raja got Promoted

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger announced the addition of two new technology leaders to its executive leadership team, as well as several changes to Intel business units. Current Intel executives Sandra Rivera and Raja Koduri will each take on new senior leadership roles, and technology industry veterans Nick McKeown and Greg Lavender will join the company.

"Since re-joining Intel, I have been impressed with the depth of talent and incredible innovation throughout the company, but we must move faster to fulfill our ambitions," said Gelsinger. "By putting Sandra, Raja, Nick and Greg - with their decades of technology expertise - at the forefront of some of our most essential work, we will sharpen our focus and execution, accelerate innovation, and unleash the deep well of talent across the company."

As part of these changes, Intel's Data Platform Group (DPG) will be restructured into two new business units.
  • Sandra Rivera will take on a new role as executive vice president and general manager of Datacenter and AI. Rivera will lead this organization's focus on developing leadership data center products for a cloud-based world, including Intel Xeon and field programmable gate array (FPGA) products. She will also drive the company's overall artificial intelligence (AI) strategy. Rivera has a deep history in data center technology and a track record of integrating Intel's silicon and software portfolios to drive customer value. Prior to her role serving as Intel's chief people officer, she led Intel's Network Platforms Group. (Sandra Rivera's biography)
  • Nick McKeown will join Intel full-time on July 6 as senior vice president and general manager of a new Network and Edge Group. This brings Intel's Network Platforms Group, Internet of Things Group and Connectivity Group into a single business unit chartered to drive technology and product leadership throughout the network to the intelligent edge. Renown in the networking technology industry and recipient of the 2021 IEEE Alexander Graham Bell Medal, McKeown was previously a part-time Intel Senior Fellow who joined the company with its 2019 acquisition of Barefoot Networks, which he co-founded. (Nick McKeown's biography)
Intel will also create two new business units, one focused on software and one on high performance computing (HPC) and graphics.
  • Greg Lavender has joined Intel as chief technology officer (CTO) and senior vice president and general manager of the new Software and Advanced Technology Group. This group will drive Intel's unified vision for software, ensuring it remains a powerful competitive differentiator for the company. As CTO, Lavender will also be responsible for driving Intel's technical innovation and research programs, including Intel Labs. He brings more than 35 years of experience in software and hardware product engineering and advanced research and development to Intel, most recently serving as senior vice president and CTO of VMware. He has also held key leadership roles at Citigroup, Cisco and Sun Microsystems. (Greg Lavender's biography)
  • Raja Koduri, a well-known innovator in GPU computing technology, will lead the Accelerated Computing Systems and Graphics Group, a newly formed business unit that will increase the company's focus in the key growth areas of high performance computing and graphics. AXG is chartered with delivering HPC and graphics solutions for integrated and discrete segments across client, enterprise and data center. Koduri previously served as Intel's general manager of Architecture, Graphics and Software. (Raja Koduri's biography)
Rivera, McKeown, Lavender and Koduri will report directly to Pat Gelsinger. Navin Shenoy, who has been serving as executive vice president and general manager of the Data Platforms Group, will assist with the transition and leave Intel on July 6. The company is grateful to Shenoy for his 26 years of service, including his contributions as leader of DPG, as well as his previous leadership of the Client Computing Group and Intel Asia Pacific.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I guess that they are satisfied with Raja work then.

Honestly, I think he has been vilified a lot more than what he deserve. He did some great work with GCN and probably even worked/influenced RDNA as it takes many many years to create architectures and he would still be in the AMD while RDNA was shaping up.

What he deserves shit is for overhyping and overpromising though.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Do these guys just leave and come back so they can haggle higher wages and shit every change?

Honestly, I think he has been vilified a lot more than what he deserve. He did some great work with GCN and probably even worked/influenced RDNA as it takes many many years to create architectures and he would still be in the AMD while RDNA was shaping up.

I do agree he has been a bit vilified more than he deserves. At the same time he did do lots of hyping, but under delivering in a lot of people's minds. Hopefully he has better success at Intel.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
I have not read the article. But if Raja got promoted, I would think he Dit something right.

So Gratz to raja.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Do these guys just leave and come back so they can haggle higher wages and shit every change?

Something else I find curious, why are there only a handful of guys considered to be the best of the best... surely there have been plenty of graduates since them, and apprentices under them... I find it very confusing they are like the "The Chosen Ones" and irreplaceable, just seems odd to me.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I suspect Koduri left AMD due to Lisa Su focusing resources on the CPU line and skimping on the GPU line. She was right to do that as evidenced by the major turn around in profitability but Koduri might have felt like he could do more at Intel with their nearly bottomless well of resources. We will see when the GPU line from Intel is launched.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Ill say it again, I welcomed Pat as a no nonsense engineer who would light a fire under Intel's ass but so far he comes across as such a personality lacking business puppet.
Lets save all the praise and being proud till AFTER you release a product worthy of it shall we?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Koduri, Intels own little Peter Molyneux.

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
Intel is redoing its Semi-Endboss Tier Personal Layout, a lot of people had to go over the last couple of month, now Intel has basically redone all of the stage wich directly reports back to its CEO, dunno what Navin did wrong or not good enough, but there must be something i guess.

I feel Raja is someone they need at this point to grow the GPU side of things. So not surprising he got a bump up. But as to whether he deserves it or not, we can't really tell until the product is out of the door. XE LP for iGPU seems to be a success, but that is after they dedicated significant die to the GPU. Looking forward to see what the bigger counterparts will catch up with competition in the various segments.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Something else I find curious, why are there only a handful of guys considered to be the best of the best... surely there have been plenty of graduates since them, and apprentices under them... I find it very confusing they are like the "The Chosen Ones" and irreplaceable, just seems odd to me.
The Peter Principle is as powerful as Moore's Law, the difference is that it's been with us since ever and will stay forever.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Or he was that incompetent they promoted him out of the area he was in. ;)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Great work, but let's talk about actual deliveries here, so you can understand the reason to the madness.

His most impressive one was dropping a Polaris GPU in front of Linus on TeeVee. Slapping GDDR on GCN to give us midrange crap of yesteryear that we could 'use in Crossfire' to achieve Nvidia's midrange perf. Never mind the fact multi GPU was already on the way out with DX12. Oh, yeah, the man truly is a visionary. Next, he developed Vega with the well known Poor Volta (never materialized into gaming GPU, again, an utter misfire) line and some press events that looked like scrapyards with big marketing lines of revolutionizing gaming. Just PR? Nope, the product Vega was equally shite - too expensive, too big, memory that was unobtanium and here we are today looking at RDNA2 that has axed HBM entirely in the gaming range and being the first decent AMD GPU stack in half a decade. Its not a coincidence that the whole GPU division gained momentum the moment Lisa Su took over.

Need more? All the man has produced was in-between crap that had no place in any sustainable market or product stack. Please. Only press releases and executives speak of his great achievements - and only when he leaves the company. That alone is saying enough. The man is not special, not a Jim Keller and certainly not a force of leather nature like Jensen Huang who can single handedly nudge an industry in a new direction. When Huang misfires, its not that the tech is lost, but that he's not making money off it - look at G-Sync; and possibly the investment into pre-empting RT.

Commercially or in technology Raja has no semblance of an idea of what's a great next move for the industry. He can build things, that is certain. But he has no vision and the vision he does have is kindergarten level 'look how big it is!'.

Look at what's he playing with at Intel - the technology he brought in from AMD (old news) combined with the technology he found at Intel so he can now finally glue some dies together, to meet a performance target he markets us now that is 'hopefully somewhat equal' with an upper midrange gaming GPU that was released last year. History repeats, that is all this really is, and it will fail in equal measure at this rate. The man is literally building a bigger floorplan of Intel integrated execution units and calls it new, but now wants to sell that single product in many shapes to many markets. A road that Nvidia has been tightly readjusting and refining around and onto since... forever, and they have more and more dedicated product lines as a result. Every time a competitor wanted to attack those stacks with a single catch-em-all, cut down derivative, they failed, quite simply because its not as refined. Nvidia simply beats it by having much more development time and a long-term plan of new iterations. Look at how they can cut down their GPUs. Its almost like Lego, whatever you want, you get, and it 'just works'. They can slot in new products for every 5% of performance as they want.

Ill say it again, I welcomed Pat as a no nonsense engineer who would light a fire under Intel's ass but so far he comes across as such a personality lacking business puppet.
Lets save all the praise and being proud till AFTER you release a product worthy of it shall we?

Look at the guy. He's supposed to be retired, not an innovation leader for a revamped company. The man is old news. As is Raja and the rest of those old boys. And note, this picture has him all polished up and well-lit for show. Best you're gonna get.

Irony has it, its a middle aged woman pulling AMD out of the swamp right now, steady as it goes for quite a while. Similarly, Huang might be getting older, but he's trying hard not to look like it.

Age matters and there is some turning point where experience can be a burden; and you should know when to make place for new talent. Intel is typically a company with a hierarchy that lacks this conviction. I have absolutely zero faith in Pat G or Raja in that regard. They're like the second rate guys that never did make it initially and now get a second chance saving a burning ship.

Old boys network.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I feel Raja is someone they need at this point to grow the GPU side of things. So not surprising he got a bump up. But as to whether he deserves it or not, we can't really tell until the product is out of the door. XE LP for iGPU seems to be a success, but that is after they dedicated significant die to the GPU. Looking forward to see what the bigger counterparts will catch up with competition in the various segments.

How is XE LP a success? Intel has always reserved a shit ton of die space for IGP and never really turned it into tremendous performance. Perf/watt is also not something to write home about - only very situationally does it outperform a (Vega based) Ryzen 4800U at the same power budget. More often though it does not, and lets not even begin speaking of the CPU performance alongside it then.

1624449761269.png

1624449850247.png

Its nothing revolutionary.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
How is XE LP a success? Intel has always reserved a shit ton of die space for IGP and never really turned it into tremendous performance. Perf/watt is also not something to write home about - only very situationally does it outperform a (Vega based) Ryzen 4800U at the same power budget. More often though it does not, and lets not even begin speaking of the CPU performance alongside it then.

View attachment 205093

Its nothing revolutionary.
XE LP is a success because it's a big improvement over previous Iris IGPs. Whilst it's nothing to write home about, 15W comparisons to the 4800U are flattering, only because one is on an excellent, refined, proven process (7nm TSMC) and the other is on Intel's troubled, delayed, shaky 10nm+

To get within 5% of a 4800U's IGP performance at the same power draw is "competitive", especially when taking the process node disadvantage into consideration, and it looks downright impressive when you consider the previous Iris architecture was a far worse performer. Intel's generational improvement in graphics architecture is enormous compared to AMD's complete lack of resources to move beyond the same Vega cores they offered us in 2017.