• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

be quiet! Introduces Improved Shadow Rock Slim 2 CPU Cooler

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
be quiet!, the German manufacturer for premium PC components, is announcing its latest addition to the cooling portfolio with Shadow Rock Slim 2, an upgraded version of its predecessor Shadow Rock Slim with an optimized mounting kit for easy installation on all current Intel and AMD consumer sockets. Shadow Rock Slim 2 is the ideal cooling solution for compact systems where the balance between cooling performance and quietness is key. Its four high-performance heat pipes give Shadow Rock Slim 2 an impressive cooling capacity of up to 160 W TDP.

The compact single-tower Shadow Rock Slim 2 has four 6 mm high-performance copper heat pipes with direct touch (HDT) to absorb the CPU heat directly. The heatsink is coupled with a silence-optimized 135 mm be quiet! PWM fan with nine airflow-optimized blades and durable rifle-bearing technology, boasting a low overall noise of 23.7 dB(A) at 100% fan speed. This results in an impressive cooling performance for processors with up to 160 watts TDP, making the Shadow Rock Slim 2 a premium solution for users who need powerful yet silent cooling for their compact systems or systems with tall RAM modules.

Elegant design and easy mounting
A brushed aluminium top cover and aluminium heat pipe caps add a touch of elegance to this premium cooler. Compared to its predecessor, Shadow Rock Slim 2 features an optimized mounting kit which makes for an easier installation and offers compatibility with all current Intel and AMD consumer sockets. It also allows the user to easily access their memory modules after installation in the PC case, making memory upgrades a breeze. Shadow Rock Slim 2 supports installing a second fan at the rear with the included fan clips. be quiet! offers a three-year manufacturer's warranty on Shadow Rock Slim 2.

Shadow Rock Slim 2 is available from July 27 at a recommended retail price (MSRP) of $45.90 / €45.90 / £43.99.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Look! They included the TDP with a PR!

Like how the tubes are equally spaced, but those caps on the fin stack just look out of place, to me.

ixi

Gelid Phantom > shadow rock slim 2. Anytime, anywhere.

Phantom - cheaper, better.

While I assume that the Gelid Phantom is indeed the superior cooler based on simply looking at both of them, do you have any actual data? There aren't many reviews of the Gelid Phantom, and no actual reviewer/website that has reviews of both so that comparisons are more appropriate.

The "anywhere" part is what I kind of have a problem with since Gelid is a less popular brand and its availability is nowhere near as good as be quiet!'s.
Also, the Gelid Phantom is significantly larger, so compatibility with memory and cases is more limited, thus it won't really fit "anywhere".

With a cooler like the phantom you can't move your computer without be extremely careful, you can also forget shipping a system with that cooler. If you are only on a 65w cpu the bigger cooler is completely pointless.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Love the sound signature from their 135mm SW3. It's hard to compare this to the Gelid Phantom, dual fin stack dual fan is very different, the acoustics will be very different, and quality/reliability of the fan will be miles better for be quiet!

ixi

While I assume that the Gelid Phantom is indeed the superior cooler based on simply looking at both of them, do you have any actual data? There aren't many reviews of the Gelid Phantom, and no actual reviewer/website that has reviews of both so that comparisons are more appropriate.

The "anywhere" part is what I kind of have a problem with since Gelid is a less popular brand and its availability is nowhere near as good as be quiet!'s.
Also, the Gelid Phantom is significantly larger, so compatibility with memory and cases is more limited, thus it won't really fit "anywhere".

My actual data is from my own using. Using it on 4650G. Playing games it sits around 40C. Yeah, using iGPU, but still. Compatibility will not be a problem if you don't buy ram with huge and useless heatsink. About case. Be quit is 161 tall while gelid is 160 :D. About width, yeah, two tower versus single tower...

Love the sound signature from their 135mm SW3. It's hard to compare this to the Gelid Phantom, dual fin stack dual fan is very different, the acoustics will be very different, and quality/reliability of the fan will be miles better for be quiet!

True about that, be quit fans are better.

With a cooler like the phantom you can't move your computer without be extremely careful, you can also forget shipping a system with that cooler. If you are only on a 65w cpu the bigger cooler is completely pointless.

Don't know why you mentioned moving part, but I have moved plenty around my pc with noctua d-14. You need to be careful, but possible.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I would love to see Scythe usa have the Ashura on current platforms.

It kept my 8350 at 5.0 cool and we all know thats a hot chip

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Having (not) heard their weirdly sized 135mm fans before, these make one hell of a 'budget' slim cooler

(This was a joke about how quiet they are, you could say i am a.... fan)

Last edited:
System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Having (not) heard their weirdly sized 135mm fans before, these make one hell of a 'budget' slim cooler
Most of their PSUs and higher end air coolers have had them for a while, it's basically a SW3 but optimized a bit for static pressure I believe. The Silent Wings 3 actually came out after them including this 135mm in their products

My actual data is from my own using. Using it on 4650G. Playing games it sits around 40C. Yeah, using iGPU, but still. Compatibility will not be a problem if you don't buy ram with huge and useless heatsink. About case. Be quit is 161 tall while gelid is 160 :D. About width, yeah, two tower versus single tower...
Hm, I thought the Shadow Rock Slim 2 wasn't as tall. What dimensions was I looking at?
Anyway, you still have provided no actual data. What games are you playing? What is the CPU utilization? This is the temperature with which cooler? What is the temperature with the other cooler? What is the ambient temperature?

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Motherboard Asus | ROG Strix -- Z 590-E
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
Memory G Skill | Trident Z *RGB @ 4000_ | _15-15-15-36_ |
Video Card(s) Asus | ROG Strix -- RTX 3070Ti_ #OC Edition
Storage INTENSO 250GB *1, 500GB*1 | Samsung EVO 860 / 970 EVO plus| WDC WD40 |
Display(s) Alienware | AW3821DW _ 38" {3840*1600} wide - curved
Case be Quiet | DARK BASE PRO 900 --- _rev. 2 --- #Silver
Audio Device(s) Asus | ROG Throne - Qi_7.1 | LOGITECH_G560 Speaker (RGB)
Power Supply be Quiet | DARK Power PRO 12 __ 1200W *titanium
Mouse Razer | NAGA Trinity (19 buttons)
Keyboard Razer | Huntsman V2 analog | Razer Goliathus (RGB) black
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores See signature URL

(This was a joke about how quiet they are, you could say i am a.... fan)
I have also installed 4 of the wings from beQuiet in my case, of course, is clear.
to your assumptions that it would have something to do with pressure - may be - but it is according to the company simply an intermediate size.
the 12s and 14s are intended for case interior walls, depending on where they are installed. and of course the types: pure - shadow - silent in different variations.
the 13.5s are usually mounted across the fans or on edge.
the 14s are also too large for heatsinks in terms of the overall dimensions of the case, because the heatsink stands on edge on "stilts".
the larger the rotor, the louder it can get. however, even the large ones are not audible when they run under load. Noctua is much louder. I have two 3000 turbines on the heat sink of my water cooling and when they start it is over with the silence.
All in all, the dimensions and types are dedicated to individual design and the wallet.

Last edited:

ixi

Hm, I thought the Shadow Rock Slim 2 wasn't as tall. What dimensions was I looking at?
Anyway, you still have provided no actual data. What games are you playing? What is the CPU utilization? This is the temperature with which cooler? What is the temperature with the other cooler? What is the ambient temperature?

Ryzen 4650G with cooler Gelid Phantom. Currently room ambient temperature is around 26/27 on day, this summer is hot, hot, hot. Playing Apex Legends, WoW. But I can add that my case have 4 additional fans. Have not used other coolers on this cpu nor do I other aftermarket. This iGPU can't stress out CPU :[.

Have not used other coolers on this cpu nor do I other aftermarket.
Then you cannot simply claim that the Gelid Phantom is superior, without any actual data to back it up.

You are just randomly shilling for a product you own and like.
And just to be clear: I'm saying this, even though I believe Gelid as a brand offer great value (similarly to Thermalright) and be quiet! as a brand is actually somewhat overhyped and overpriced.

ixi

Then you cannot simply claim that the Gelid Phantom is superior, without any actual data to back it up.

You are just randomly shilling for a product you own and like.
And just to be clear: I'm saying this, even though I believe Gelid as a brand offer great value (similarly to Thermalright) and be quiet! as a brand is actually somewhat overhyped and overpriced.

Translate this site to English. Compared with other good coolers. You'll see review and graphs.

I don't see the Shadow Rock Slim (2) in the comparison tables.

I guess I do need to point it out: you can't take a review of the Phantom from one website, then take a review of the Shadow Rock Slim (2) from a completely different website, and compare their results. You need the same website/reviewer to have tested the two coolers on the same or as similar test bench/system as possible.

ixi

I don't see the Shadow Rock Slim (2) in the comparison tables.

I guess I do need to point it out: you can't take a review of the Phantom from one website, then take a review of the Shadow Rock Slim (2) from a completely different website, and compare their results. You need the same website/reviewer to have tested the two coolers on the same or as similar test bench/system as possible.

Are you saying that shadow rock slim 2 is equal to d-15? Because it looks like that.

In comparison you don't see shadow rock slim 2(which on that time didn't even exist and noctua d-15 will eat that single tower like a baby). If second version is so good, why do be quit! make two tower coolers, because it makes no sense if single tower can do the same job as two tower.

Last edited:
Are you saying that shadow rock slim 2 is equal to d-15? Because it looks like that.
Are you being intentionally dense?
Where have I said or even implied that the Shadow Rock Slim 2 is equal to the NH-D15? Literally nowhere have I suggested that the Shadow Rock Slim 2 is equal to any large/expensive cooler.

In comparison you don't see shadow rock slim 2(which on that time didn't even exist and noctua d-15 will eat that single tower like a baby). If second version is so good, why do be quit! make two tower coolers, because it makes no sense if single tower can do the same job as two tower.
I'm aware that the Shadow Rock Slim 2 could not have been compared to the Phantom at the time, as it didn't exist. That doesn't change the fact that is simply wrong to compare different coolers based on results from completely different websites.

Do I really need to explain the concept of market segmentation?
There are different products for different levels of the market. Dual-tower coolers are intended for higher-end processors, as they generally offer higher cooling capacity, or for enthusiasts who do not have a high-end CPU but are adamant about cooling, and are prepared to pay the premium. Single-tower coolers are intended for more mainstream usage as they suffice for most scenarios and are usually cheaper, thus offering better value.
The difference in cooling performance between coolers starts to show as the heat generation increases. Any cooler would be sufficient for a 2-core processor. Sure, the expensive and high-end coolers will keep temperatures a bit lower, but even a cheap single-tower cooler would be able to keep temperatures completely in check. As heat generation is increased (by having a higher-end processor and/or overclocking), then the higher cooling capacity of expensive coolers starts to matter, and the differences in cooling performance start becoming more apparent.
If you have a low-end CPU that generates little heat, it would make no sense to purchase an expensive cooler when a cheaper one would be within a few degrees or maybe even just as good.

In the review of the Phantom you provided, it is 3 degrees behind the NH-D15, however, the Ryzen 7 1700 isn't that much of a challenge to cool. What about a 12-core or 16-core CPU? What about an overclocked 12-core or 16-core CPU? Would the Phantom be able to provide similar cooling to the NH-D15 then?

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
About to pull the trigger on a Dark Rock Tf, BK020 sweet cooler :cool:

System Name Homelabs
Black edition would be nice on the Shadow series, Pure Rock has a Black edition and Dark Rock are all black

Be Quiet's pricing makes sense considering they are a more premium, well known brand. The Pure Rock 2 has only a 120mm fan and weaker performance-wise, MSRP is $40. I think the most compelling and true competitor for this would be Noctua's NH-U12S REDUX