• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate: Firecuda 530 First PS5-Compatible SSD, $275 for 1 TB

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
The reason being you like to pay for one component on PC more money than entire cost of a console?
Ahhh my favorite console fan boy yelling point.

You get a PS4 year one. You pay for ps+ for 7 years. You get another controller. Then another cause the 1st one that came with the console is trashed now. You get two $60 games a year over 7 years. That's over $1600. Tell me again how cheap it is to own a console.

It's not being just 22110 but by needing to be a certain slimness to fit in the narrow spot of the slot.

Slimness as in not breaking the standard? m.2 22110 is supposed to be only 22mm wide and 110mm long, if manufacturers use huge heatsinks there's no guarantee they'll fit a computer either, the width the ps5 allows is enough for a sensible heatsink (25mm)

I was on the fence about Xbox Series using that propietary drive, I still remember the Vita Cards nightmare, but seems they are more sensible about it than Sony if they keep them to lower prices, I thought they would just go ham.

The xbox 1tb expansion drive costs 220$, a samsung 980 pro costs 200$ as does the wd sn850 today (the corsair mp600 is even cheaper), in a year the common drives will get cheaper, the xbox proprietary one likely won't because it has no reason to.

In 2 or 3 years how much will a pcie 4.0 cost when the market is saturated with options? For a PS5 certainly it will be relatively cheap, for the xbox it will still only have one option so it will cost whatever microsoft and seagate decide it costs

Proprietary formats are never better!

Last edited:
Low quality post by ironwolf
Enjoy getting fleeced console owners. :eek:

DeltaFan

Enjoy getting fleeced console owners. :eek:

I just bought 2 WD_Black SN850 1TB SSDs for 170 a peice. 1 for my PC and 1 for my PS5.
It feels good to get one of the fastest SSDs around at such a low price. Regardless of it being a PC or console part.

Dux

You get a PS4 year one. You pay for ps+ for 7 years. You get another controller. Then another cause the 1st one that came with the console is trashed now. You get two $60 games a year over 7 years. That's over $1600. Tell me again how cheap it is to own a console.
Tell me again how much does one RTX 3080 cost now? The real price, not MSRP fantasy. Tell me how much does it cost to build a gaming PC + good mouse and keyboard (because on console controller has that role and you get it with the console). Tell me do you have this PC for 7 years without upgrading any component or building a completely new one?
Now tell me again how expensive console gaming is.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
Tell me again how much does one RTX 3080 cost now? The real price, not MSRP fantasy. Tell me how much does it cost to build a gaming PC + good mouse and keyboard (because on console controller has that role and you get it with the console). Tell me do you have this PC for 7 years without upgrading any component or building a completely new one?
Whatever floats one's boat. I wouldn't want to play any game on a console or even own one - aside from PSVita, this thing is really great when it comes to homebrew - and I know an increasing number of people who don't want to have a computer, living the smartphone-centric, Netflix integrated into a TV, console for playing games and computer provided by the employer only for work lifestyles. I don't try to understand their life choices, with reciprocity, but no one tries to force their views on others which is apparently a must-do for the Internet users.

Also, playing games is an optional time waster. As most unproductive activities - also called pleasures by some - playing games is expensive. Gambling, sex, amateur sports, hobbies, they all are. Our ancestors created a world in which everything has to generate monetary gain for someone - even breathing is not free in some areas thanks to climate tax. If not for you then for someone who enables you to perform the activity, and since corporations want everything they can get, "whatever the market will bear" is basically how they calculate prices.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
Slimness as in not breaking the standard? m.2 22110 is supposed to be only 22mm wide and 110mm long, if manufacturers use huge heatsinks there's no guarantee they'll fit a computer either, the width the ps5 allows is enough for a sensible heatsink (25mm)

The xbox 1tb expansion drive costs 220$, a samsung 980 pro costs 200$ as does the wd sn850 today (the corsair mp600 is even cheaper), in a year the common drives will get cheaper, the xbox proprietary one likely won't because it has no reason to.

In 2 or 3 years how much will a pcie 4.0 cost when the market is saturated with options? For a PS5 certainly it will be relatively cheap, for the xbox it will still only have one option so it will cost whatever microsoft and seagate decide it costs

Proprietary formats are never better!
But that is not correct. Sony stated 25mm drive would not fit, only 22mm would. So you become very limited in options as not many drives are 22mm with heatsinks and you must have a heatsink.

Also that is not true for Xbox as well. Yes we have the seagate currently but there will be other options available in the market soon.

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Apple, Sony, Walled Gardens... and not my gardens to play in. Keep losing the ball over the fence.

Every time I get these wonderful confirmations that PC is still king of the hill.

I spent at least 50% more on gaming on every console I owned, than I did across 3 different PCs. I'm running a 2016 GPU that still destroys everything at 1440p.

Yes... you can browse the internet on a PC. And the internet is a free haven where creditcards need not apply. Not always, at least. All you need is a community and creativity, maybe a server or two.

But let the mainstream keep their shitty consoles, 15 year olds and overpriced peripherals. They pay for my hobby, keep the ports coming, while I install them on an SSD at half the cost.

Last edited:
Hi,
Actually you can get 980 1tb off samsung website for 109.99
That's a non Pro version, it's performance isn't exactly close to 980 Pro.
PCIe 4.0 drives are expensive for a reason & this has nothing to do with Sony/PS5 tax, some of the comments on this thread sheesh :shadedshu:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Tell me where you ordered your PS5 and what the price was, if you ordered it in the last few months, ;) then we can have a sensible back and forth here.

We know GPU prices are overinflated right now, much like most other markets as we ride the final chapters of this pandemic. It has no relation whatsoever to the norm or the notion that console gaming is somehow cheaper. They even carry the same or similar chips.

And even IF your GPU is 3x the price of the console, play on it for 2-3 years and you'll have had 100x more potential game library at your disposal at half the price of whatever number of console games you'd pay for, or even less. Every console gen is fighting a near-infinite backwards compatibility with a highly limited number of 'remasters' that you get to pay again, and whatever is a truly new release is paid for in full. And then start missionary work about how great that is :D

You can pay 60 bucks to play a newly released SMT Nocturne remaster right now that runs off a shitty (Switch) emulator and stutters like hell, or you can run PCSX2 on your PC and run it at 60 fps fully smooth and more responsively by just downloading it somewhere. But whatever floats anyone's boat, eh ;)

Good mouse and keyboard? You're done for 50-80 bucks, as in, you've got the perfect kit. That's just about one controller with mushy analog sticks. And hardware upgrades... yeah. The PS3 was a real joy. I had to buy two for 5 years of good gaming. Good - but expensive as fuck, the first one especially was easily the cost of a high-end game PC at the time. Turns out Sony forgot plastic lenses (cheap!) don't mix well with Bluray lasers. If you had an Xbox at the time, RROD was as real as covid.

The recurring issue with console fans is that they mistake fast food for cheap. It's not cheap. It's the most expensive way to get your regular dinner. What it really is: it's easy. And it makes console fans fat and lazy, incapable of coherent thought and seeing things for what they truly are :toast:

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't understand the complaints about the price. I've already seen it at UK store websites. Sure, it's expensive, but just as much as any other PCI-e 4.0 SSD. Also, Seagate nvme SSDs seem to have a lot higher endurance rating than similarly priced Corsair or Samsung drives.

Sata6? Are you from the future? Also are you ok? Why are you so obsessed with PS5 specs and insulting random strangers?

Do I really have to spell out every single decimal point in my post? I thought that SATA 6 = 6.0 Gbps could be obviously inferred by anyone who had built a computer in the last ten years (sata 3.0 Gbps ports don't exist on any new motherboard)

It's easily-confused people like you who make it easy for Sony to sell a poorly-designed console for a premium price plus hack-in their first "totally not proprietary" disk drives to get in on the MS revenue stream.

Tell me, for the record: would it NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER for PS5 to double RAM, and load games off a maxed-oy SATA 6.0 Gbps SSD? You could cache so much more data in that huge memory space (as well as use a larger framebuffer for effects, while still having 10x faster access times over the old hard drive)

Last edited:
System Name Cyberdyne Systems Core
Processor AMD Sceptre 9 3950x Quantum neural processor (384 nodes)
Motherboard Cyberdyne X1470
Cooling Cyberdyne Superconduct SC5600
Memory 128TB QRAM
Storage SK 16EB NVMe PCI-E 9.0 x8
Display(s) Multiple LG C9 3D Matrix OLED Cube
Software Skysoft Skynet
Do I really have to spell out every single decimal point in my post? I thought that SATA 6 = 6.0 Gbps could be obviously inferred by anyone who had built a computer in the last ten years (sata 3.0 Gbps ports don't exist on any new motherboard)

It's easily-confused people like you who make it easy for Sony to sell a poorly-designed console for a premium price plus hack-in their first "totally not proprietary" disk drives to get in on the MS revenue stream.

Tell me, for the record: would it NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER for PS5 to double RAM, and load games off a maxed-oy SaTA 6.0 Gbps SSD? You could cache so much more data in that huge memory space (as well as use a larger framebuffer for effects, qwwhile still habe 10x faster access times over the old hard drive)
Yeah that's SATA3. And they top out at what, 550MBps? Using the system RAM as a cache isn't gonna make it perform better than a 12 channel 5.5GBps NVMe. They made the right choice for fast loading, but could have gone a bit lower I guess. In a few years there will be tons of drives that can be used with it for a decent price. And if that's still too much for poor Billy who got one for Christmas, then just juggle games on an external HDD.

I just put in a SN850 WDC and it worked just fine. Seagate trying to be like apple with sony. Like seagate hard drives 100 dollar for 1TB or 350 for same 1TB with apple sticker.

Well actually, kid...i have a much better PC than you have. Building PC's myself ofc. Just in between cards right now. Sold my RTX 2080 Super for over $1K to cash in on crypto miners. And for a while i was among top 10 in the world in 3D Mark Night Raid Benchmark with RTX 2080 Super cards in among almost 3K entries. On air cooling. Currently ranked 12'th with GPU score. 5'th among 2,6K entries if we're looking at CPU + GPU score. I have IT education and industry certificates. Like CompTIA A+ for example, if you know what it is. So i can say i know something about PC's.
I am a fanboy of games, not platforms. PC gaming is the best, yes. If you can afford it. Also best for explaining people on the internet why they're wrong. :) And i tried using simple math to explain it to you. Sorry if you don't understand. You're probably looking through foggy fanboy glasses. In the end, it's your money.
Great answer, Fellow Grandfathered CompTia A+ from 1999. Also Toshiba, Dell, HP certs. Also ECSE wifi deisgner. and GPNS certified Marriott Installer.

But that is not correct. Sony stated 25mm drive would not fit, only 22mm would. So you become very limited in options as not many drives are 22mm with heatsinks and you must have a heatsink.

Also that is not true for Xbox as well. Yes we have the seagate currently but there will be other options available in the market soon.

22mm ssd with heatsink up to 25mm, it's in the specs page here (sony could have made clearer I'll give you that).

Side note on the heatsink, you don't absolutely need it, it's recomended but during regular playing shouldn't be an issue (ssd's heat up mainly from sustained writes and the drives are able to throthle, it might slow your download slightly but even that is questionable since you'll write about 50gb at a time before stopping and are also limited by network speed).

As for more options for xbox, it's to be seen. It's a proprietary form factor and they partnered with Seagate to get it, if there will be any other players in the market is to be seen, long term cheap counterfeits are sure to appear, certified ones is anyones guess right now.

Tell me, for the record: would it NOT HAVE BEEN BETTER for PS5 to double RAM, and load games off a maxed-oy SATA 6.0 Gbps SSD? You could cache so much more data in that huge memory space (as well as use a larger framebuffer for effects, while still having 10x faster access times over the old hard drive)
The entire team at sony (and microsoft for that matter) must be a bunch of idiots for not thinking of that, not forgetting that DRAM is so cheap right? right? No it's not.

The expensive part on a ssd is mostly the actual nand, not the controller, sata and nvme are not that far from price parity (not counting the premium on pcie4.0 currently on the market which are still expensive novelties - not the case for what's inside the console and for what you'll be able to buy in a year or two). So what you're suggesting wouldn't save a lot on the ssd and would waste a lot of extra money on dram (that also needs more power and cooling)

Memory 128TB QRAM
Software Skysoft Skynet
22mm ssd with heatsink up to 25mm, it's in the specs page here (sony could have made clearer I'll give you that).

Side note on the heatsink, you don't absolutely need it, it's recomended but during regular playing shouldn't be an issue (ssd's heat up mainly from sustained writes and the drives are able to throthle, it might slow your download slightly but even that is questionable since you'll write about 50gb at a time before stopping and are also limited by network speed).

As for more options for xbox, it's to be seen. It's a proprietary form factor and they partnered with Seagate to get it, if there will be any other players in the market is to be seen, long term cheap counterfeits are sure to appear, certified ones is anyones guess right now.

The entire team at sony (and microsoft for that matter) must be a bunch of idiots for not thinking of that, not forgetting that DRAM is so cheap right? right? No it's not.

The expensive part on a ssd is mostly the actual nand, not the controller, sata and nvme are not that far from price parity (not counting the premium on pcie4.0 currently on the market which are still expensive novelties - not the case for what's inside the console and for what you'll be able to buy in a year or two). So what you're suggesting wouldn't save a lot on the ssd and would waste a lot of extra money on dram (that also needs more power and cooling)
For the xbox I'd expect an adaptor at some point that lets us use off the shelf 2.5GB/s+ M.2 drives in a caddy. Someone will probably make a tool that lets you format it correctly to work on the Xbox Series. The slot they use is just CFexpress, so it's just the casing that's custom. The internal drives on both the X and S are just short M.2's anyway, not soldered down like on PS5.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay on topic.
Stop bickering/arguing... take your side arguments to PMs and discuss them.
No insulting other members.
Be civil.

Thank You and have a nice evening.

Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
I'm still on my 4790K
The only upgrade was a cheap m.2 and a RTX 3060 I paid MSRP for. I've enjoyed modding. custom settings in-game. Free MP. 144Hz. MKB.

I've got multiple RTX cards I paid msrp for.

I've got a Series X that's been sitting in the box on my desk for a couple months now though.

Memory 128TB QRAM
Software Skysoft Skynet
I'm still on my 4790K
The only upgrade was a cheap m.2 and a RTX 3060 I paid MSRP for. I've enjoyed modding. custom settings in-game. Free MP. 144Hz. MKB.

I've got multiple RTX cards I paid msrp for.

I've got a Series X that's been sitting in the box on my desk for a couple months now though.
lol you already have a gaming pc but you bought a series X? Why?

Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Glorious Model D
Software Win10
lol you already have a gaming pc but you bought a series X? Why?
I traded a 3060 for it to give to a friend but I think I'll give it to my cousin instead.